• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Eat my panko Paris: Tokyo rated Michelin's top city for good eating

Status
Not open for further replies.

sprsk

force push the doodoo rock
Kuroyume said:
So what?

It's in a book, it must be 100% true!

It's not just any book. These aren't just any people.

Being a total ignoramus isn't a badge of pride. Just because you know jack shit except for the stupid small world you inhabit doesn't mean you are right. It just means you are ignorant. Waltzing in here with your finger up your nose saying these highly trained individuals are full of shit because the burger joint near your house is the fucking bomb doesn't do anything but make you look like a fat-headed internet tough guy. Sure, kuroyume, these guys are a bunch of fucking fakes, they don't know shit about donnie's greasy pizza. They couldn't kick your ass anyway who cares what they say.

sp0rsk said:

Being a total ignoramus isn't a badge of pride. Just because you know jack shit except for the stupid small world you inhabit doesn't mean you are right. It just means you are ignorant. Waltzing in here with your finger up your nose saying these highly trained individuals are full of shit because the burger joint near your house is the fucking bomb doesn't do anything but make you look like a fat-headed internet tough guy. Sure, kuroyume, these guys are a bunch of fucking fakes, they don't know shit about donnie's greasy pizza. They couldn't kick your ass anyway who cares what they say.

daayum! :lol

Zyzyxxz

sp0rsk said:

ooh ignoramus, sounds exotic, I'll have one well done please!

sasimirobot

tnw said:
Get over yourself. Yeah Paris has a lot of awesome stuff, but Tokyo and Japan excels at many things. Most people on this forum only enjoy the lame otaku part of Japan. Food is one thing that Tokyo absolutely excels at.

nice. but I would include Malaysia as a place that has very good food, very good, and cheap and diverse.

love Japan for overall decent, if boring food. you know exactly what you are paying for...

but 15$ for a grilled chicken on a stick ( yakitori ) and a cheap sake in downtown Tokyo always feels like a rip-off, even if the restaurant is featured in "Metropolis" magazine

way more

sasimirobot said:
nice. but I would include Malaysia as a place that has very good food, very good, and cheap and diverse.

love Japan for overall decent, if boring food. you know exactly what you are paying for...

but 15$ for a grilled chicken on a stick ( yakitori ) and a cheap sake in downtown Tokyo always feels like a rip-off, even if the restaurant is featured in "Metropolis" magazine

You are thinking more along the lines of street food. These ratings are designed for cuisine that exemplifiers that field of cooking. You aren't going to win any stars if ramen, yakitori, or pasta with red sauce are the typical items on the menu.

sasimirobot said:

Dude whoever charged you $15 bucks for a stick of yakitori fucking robbed you.

Maybe you shouldn't be hanging out with those yakuza... ;)

OnkelC said:
surely not, but Beef Bourguignon from a cardboard plate won't gain any chef even one star, no matter how good it is.

well, even subconsciously your thought on the food can change based on a number of things other than your meal.

avaya

I know the quality of cuisine in Tokyo is awesome but better than Paris?

I'm a bit shocked. Is it just a result of more restaurants in Tokyo vs. Paris?

Anyhow, my top three for food has always included these two and a tie between NY and KL...that makes it a top 4 really.

way more

OnkelC said:
surely not, but Beef Bourguignon from a cardboard plate won't gain any chef even one star, no matter how good it is.

What if it was a high concept restaurant and the idea was all cardboard, everywhere! I think more importantly is what color cardboard and of what quality.

It is a routine procedure for taste testing to be conducted in a colored light environment so as not to skew the results of the taste test by entering the function of sight perception into the experience of the panelist. One study which specifically pointed out the dramatic effect of food color had panelists eat a dinner of steak, peas, and french fries under red lights. All panelists agreed that the dinner was wonderful tasting. The regular house lights were then turned on, revealing a dinner plate containing a blue steak, red peas, and green french fries. The shock of such unacceptable and objectional colors was so dramatic to some of the panelists that they became ill.

I was really hoping to find a peer reviewed experiment describing the above but I guess this thing is just something food labs do for fun.

tnw said:
Get over yourself. Yeah Paris has a lot of awesome stuff, but Tokyo and Japan excels at many things. Most people on this forum only enjoy the lame otaku part of Japan. Food is one thing that Tokyo absolutely excels at.

Why the fuck are you responding to Bezz?

It's Bezz.

maynerd

Banned
I visited tokyo just recently and let me tell you there were an unlimited supply of restaurants. Not only that most had food for under $10 and every single one was good. I had NO bad food in Japan.

Google

avaya said:
I know the quality of cuisine in Tokyo is awesome but better than Paris?

I'm a bit shocked. Is it just a result of more restaurants in Tokyo vs. Paris?

Anyhow, my top three for food has always included these two and a tie between NY and KL...that makes it a top 4 really.

It's not that the food in Japan is better than the food in Paris, it's more to do with the quality of restaurants in each city. Japan has more stars, and thus, its safe to say, has a greater number of 'polished' restaurants.

Mama Smurf

My penis is still intact.
sp0rsk said:

fucking hell :lol

Kuroyume

Banned
Didn't mean to offend the Japanese people on this board... My apologies. Nobel prize winner James Watson tells the world whites are more intelligent than blacks, and I guess I should eat that up too since he's a highly trained geneticist. Excuse me for being skeptical, I was wrong.

way more

elostyle said:
I can't believe that there are people that don't know about the Michelin guide.

I can accept that just fine. It's saying that you had a taco in Tokyo and their list is bogus is what is crazy.

Chairman Yang

if he talks about books, you better damn well listen
Kuroyume said:
Didn't mean to offend the Japanese people on this board... My apologies. Nobel prize winner James Watson tells the world whites are more intelligent than blacks, and I guess I should eat that up too since he's a highly trained geneticist. Excuse me for being skeptical, I was wrong.

Do you have some reason for skepticism (like knowledge of each cities' restaurants based on eating at them) or were you railing against the idea because you just don't like it? Sorry, but unless you have more than a gut feeling and a little experience (lol) I'd put my trust in something like the Michelin guides.

Fuzzery

Iron_chef_hiroyuki_sakai.jpg

dabig2

sp0rsk said:

Daaaaaaaaamn. Shit just got real :lol

ccbfan

For those who don't know getting just 1 Michelin star for your restaurant is better than winning the powerball lottery. It pretty much means you have instant wealth, power and fame.

Its better than winning best actor on the oscars.

tnw said:
http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/asia-pacific/7103255.stmEight of Tokyo's restaurants won the maximum three stars - only two fewer than Paris itself. Another 25 got two stars and 117 one star.

So really, Paris is still the best for top-tier restaurants. This all comes down to Tokyo having an absurd population compared to both Paris and New York. Of course there are more high quality (1+ star) restaurants, the market is bigger! I'm sure if Paris had 12.7 million people they would have a shit-ton more Michelin-ranked restaurants. As it stands, Paris has 2.1 million people.

Tokyo has "nearly twice as many" stars than Paris, but they have 6 times as many people. Paris wins out on average. There just isn't enough room for that many ranked restaurants in Paris.

Edit: I'm not trying to discredit Tokyo. Obviously they have more high quality restaurants than any other city, and this report proves it. I'm just saying it's because the city is so freakin' huge that there is a higher demand for high quality restaurants. If they had the same number as Paris, people would have to call a decade in advance to get a reservation, and that's just poor market economics.

Google

sp0rsk said:
What is this supposed to mean?

I saw someone in this thread write a wonderful piece about the Japanese having better French food than the French, and found it rather ingenious.

I often laugh when people say the food in Britain is terrible, because they assume all restaurants only serve meat and two veg.

So obviously, to appreciate Mexican food, you need to be Mexican.

elostyle

Never forget! I'm Dumb!
Google said:
I saw someone in this thread write a wonderful piece about the Japanese having better French food than the French, and found it rather ingenious.

I often laugh when people say the food in Britain is terrible, because they assume all restaurants only serve meat and two veg.

I don't know what you're trying to say.

john tv said:
I've lived in NY, Chicago, CA, and Tokyo in my life, and in order, quality of food goes something like this:

1. Tokyo
2. NYC
3. California
4. Chicago

Well, last I remember California is a state, not a city. :) LA and San Fran are individually great, but I think the density and variety of restaurants found in our little midwestern metropolis still puts Chicago above CA.

Shouta said:
If they did, their idea of Mexican food would probably be pretty bad.

There is actually a mexican place in Kurume-shi that I've been to which is pretty damn awesome. a little pricey but good. Some of the dishes might not be too authentic but its still delicious. They got the important parts right. Meat + lots of cheese + delicious sauce.

Chipopo

Banned
Google said:

Yes, because when someone says that the food in the UK is poor, they are clearly referring to every single restaurant in the UK, and not just a general trend they noticed while traveling.

Shouta

sp0rsk said:
I eat at a pretty damn good Mexican restaurant every week.

I'd have to try it. I just pray it's more authentic than it is "Mexican with a super Japanese twist" on it and I'm not taking zanyness.

Troidal

Apparently Japanese media is reporting debates over the Michelin ratings. Some restaurants did not participate due to "differences in culture". Other critics said there are many restaurants out there that taste even better than those that got rated. Michelin seems to be basing their rating not only taste but service and atmosphere, but there is no set standard.

It's in Japanese, but interesting read:
http://www.asahi.com/life/update/1122/TKY200711210415.html

tnw

Banned
Yeah, Japan's obsession with beaujolais is a little ridiculous. They sell it at 7-11 even >_>

and mexican can range from pretty decent to 'zany'. Zany being a pita with potato and kimchee inside with some cheese drizzled on top. Really tasty, just not something I would ever call a taco :lol

way more

Google said:

All of that is complete nonsense.

cvxfreak

I've said this many times before and I'll say it again, but in all the time I've spent in Tokyo, I've yet to eat anything disgusting. Even my dorm's food is passable. Of course I've eaten things in Japan that I didn't like, but things I dislike don't mean they're disgusting.

cvxfreak said:
I've said this many times before and I'll say it again, but in all the time I've spent in Tokyo, I've yet to eat anything disgusting. Even my dorm's food is passable. Of course I've eaten things in Japan that I didn't like, but things I dislike don't mean they're disgusting.

Yeah same here, except I would say all of Japan really.

Well except natto. fuck that shit. Should be outlawed.

Troidal

BudokaiMR2 said:

Yeah....natto isn't visually or olfactory appealing. But it's good stuff.

Imagine having to french kiss a hot chic after she ate that thing :lol

fobtastic

sp0rsk said:
Damn... you really laid that on thick.

tnw

Banned
BudokaiMR2 said:

gtfo, natto is delicious.

mixed with some tororo and okra. mmmm.

elostyle

Never forget! I'm Dumb!
neoanarch said:
that what Americans and via proxy the rest of the world sees as Mexican food is actually Tex-Mex and Tex-mex is horrible.
That really doesn't have an effect on rating restaurants.

f@luS

More than a member.
Phoenix said:
I would absolutely agree with that. Tokyo's chefs are the best in the world IMO. After hanging out in Tokyo and eating at a variety of their establishments, I can definitely agree with this rating.
French chefs are the best in the world, no contest. IF food is good anywhere else, its because there is a french chef in the restaurant.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom