• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Eat my panko Paris: Tokyo rated Michelin's top city for good eating

Status
Not open for further replies.

pjberri

Crotchety Old Man
I mentioned this to my coworker (Japanese restaurant) about 20 minutes ago and it turns out he has worked a one star rated restaurant in France (he is trained as a French and Italian chef, not Japanese). What the fuck.

Fuzzery

pjberri said:
I mentioned this to my coworker (Japanese restaurant) about 20 minutes ago and it turns out he has worked a one star rated restaurant in France (he is trained as a French and Italian chef, not Japanese). What the fuck.
What's so weird about that?

Rotanibor

In my recent travels to Japan food was one of the few things that actually consistantly surprised.

The level of care and detail to no matter how cheap of dish was astonding. I had a few bad meals but that was mostly the free meals they served at a couple hostles I was at.

One thing that pissed me off though was that I really wanted to try a nice Japanese steak, but I couldn't seem to find any place that would sell a steak for under $100 or something to that effect. :lol Granted I never actually went out looking for one specifically.

I can absolutely believe that Tokyo would be the top rated city good eatin' city in the world.

Tokyo does have an amazing variety... I think if you haven't been there you don't really have any idea about the amount of things you can get. That said, there are some things missing. My local kebab guy (Salih) in Koenji couldn't get Lebanese bread, kebabs in Tokyo tend to come in pita pockets. You can find pretty much anything, but sometimes ingredients just aren't there.

There are some pretty amazing restaurants, many of which are cheaper than you'd expect. There's some pretty good pizza (without tuna or corn) at this restaurant in Ebisu with a three story aquarium, and it's cheaper than what you'd pay at one of the pizza chains.

Also there is a great and cheap French restaurant in Yoyogi (or at least there used to be). The chef was French. Just because it's Japan doesn't mean all the chefs are Japanese. There are a lot of expats. That said the Japanese chefs are generally pretty incredible too. The best restaurants are probably not even tested, I mean there are secret restaurants around catering for the ultra rich (I had the privilege once, and probably never again).

My biggest gripe would have to be the way some foods are adopted for people in Japan. Spicy food is less spicy, pasta is almost always cooked in its sauce in the fry pan after it's boiled etc.

I've never been to Paris, though I'm in London now. Maybe being second place will force Paris to lower its prices...

(and yes, I've had that bakudon, it's amazing)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom