• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ecco the Dolphin scares the living shit out of me.

Rygar 8 Bit

Jaguar 64-bit
played the first one on genesis at a friends house never got past the first area i was always enthralled with just swimming real fast and jumping out of the water and doing flips and such

OnPoint

B-Genius said:
This is exactly what happened with me.

I knew there were all these creepy moments from when I played it as a kid, and when replaying I had to keep coaxing myself on and second-guessing when these massive creatures were going to show up.

Big Blue wasn't even an enemy, right? I just didn't want to see him again ;_;

The devs must have known what they were doing. With all these similar reactions, it must have actually been a survival horror in disguise.

When I first swam into the
Asterite
's cave I damn near had a heart attack.

It was the most surreal thing I had ever experienced in a video game before, just a
giant strand of DNA
hanging out in the ocean. It was when I knew this game went from kind of cool to something special.

B-Genius

Unconfirmed Member
OnPoint said:
When I first swam into the
Asterite
's cave I damn near had a heart attack.

It was the most surreal thing I had ever experienced in a video game before, just a
giant strand of DNA
hanging out in the ocean. It was when I knew this game went from kind of cool to something special.
Lol, damn you and your avatar!!

I had forgotten the name
Asterite
and all it stood for, but you just had to dig those cruel memories back from the depths, didn't you?

... Wow, I kind of feel like trying it again now. Maybe with all my gamer years it'll be a different experience. I can just hear the (relatively) peaceful music from the first level - that eerie bass...

The Lamp

I don't know if any of you played the PS2/Dreamcast game, but that one was piss-in-your-pants frightening.

There was a boss Great White shark that you had to get close enough to lure into a coral formation that would get him stuck, but he was very hard to tempt without getting snapped in half by sharp jaws.

Then of course there's a gatdam DINOSAUR CROCODILE BOSS IN A DARK CAVE WTFF

Deadstar

trinest said:
Very true, but its an IP SEGA should really look into brinning to say the Wii.

I would say wait until tech is good enough for amazing water graphics then bring back Ecco in all his glory. Maybe once the 4000P tv's and gaming systems are out.

Imagine a beautiful ocean world only limited by your imagination. Imagine swimming through this beautiful blue ocean world which is populated by colorful creatures swimming through streams of light that penetrate through the surface. But wait, what's this? A group of sea turtles swim by you! Do you follow them and perhaps find a new cave to explore or do you push down into the depths to find out what lurks below? The choice is yours!

BocoDragon

or, How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Realize This Assgrab is Delicious
Neat timing for the bump. I just picked up Tides of Time in cart form CIB at a thrift store for 4 bucks. Between the 2 Genny games, 2 Sega CD games and 1 Dreamcast, my Ecco collection is now complete!

I still find something strangely haunting/alluring about this games and this thread really articulates that I'm not alone on it.

Jamie OD

That game creeped the hell out of me. I never got far in it but that's more because I could never reach the surface quick enough to replenish Ecco's oxygen.

Posting again in this thread to re-confirm that yes, thinking about some of the moments in these games still scares me. I think I might actually have had a little kid heart attack had I gotten all the way to the last boss.

Sega had something very strange and wonderful with this series. I never got very far in any of the games, but I still loved and... well, "respected" them. (Saying I had a "healthy fear" of them still sounds crazy, even after all of the confirmation in this thread that I am not alone in that feeling.)

Suairyu

Banned
BocoDragon said:
Neat timing for the bump. I just picked up Tides of Time in cart form CIB at a thrift store for 4 bucks. Between the 2 Genny games, 2 Sega CD games and 1 Dreamcast, my Ecco collection is now complete!

I still find something strangely haunting/alluring about this games and this thread really articulates that I'm not alone on it.
You still need the Windows port of the first Ecco. Superior version.

BocoDragon

Suairyu said:
You still need the Windows port of the first Ecco. Superior version.
Why is that?

I assume it has the same soundtrack as the Sega CD version I already have. Anything else?

BocoDragon said:
I assume it has the same soundtrack as the Sega CD version I already have. Anything else?

If you want to truly own it all, you need Ecco Jr. (for the Sega Pico), too.

And there are the various ports too...

Yager

Banned
For those who say that they'd like to see a new Ecco...just remember what they did to Golden Axe. I know it wasn't developed by Sega, but I don't think being made by them would have made the game any better.

Ecco was awesome, let him rest in peace.

BocoDragon

Night_Trekker said:
If you want to truly own it all, you need Ecco Jr. (for the Sega Pico), too.

And there are the various ports too...
Oh yeah.. there was Ecco Jr for Genesis, too... kinda want it.

But I'm not collecting like that.. just want all the core games. Ecco 1, 2 and the DC one are the real deal.

Peagles

I'm still too scared to play this game. I always get to the part where
the ocean empties right at the start
and get scared and turn it off :/

Great physics though, my short time playing did allow me to appreciate that, at least.

Dr. Ecco

Neo Member
I always loved the sense of loneliness and the coldness of the deep ocean of the game, for a 16-bit game, I think EtD achieved that feeling really well. I have always been fascinated by the ocean and the wonders it hides in the deep, and I find every game with an ocean-exploring theme really appealing. Since I have recently become a proud owner of a Wii (a.k.a. Xenoblade-playing-machine) I am looking forward to have a taste of Endless Ocean. Hell, I don't know how the game will be, but the title is really suggesting.

BocoDragon said:
Oh yeah.. there was Ecco Jr for Genesis, too... kinda want it.

I am pretty sure the Pico was just Genesis hardware rebranded, so it's the same game. It's educational software, but you do get to swim around in true Ecco fashion from what I remember.

Peagles said:
I'm still too scared to play this game. I always get to the part where
the ocean empties right at the start
and get scared and turn it off :/

Yeah, even that part of the game is surreal and unsettling.

Dr. Ecco said:
I always loved the sense of loneliness and the coldness of the deep ocean of the game, for a 16-bit game, I think EtD achieved that feeling really well. I have always been fascinated by the ocean and the wonders it hides in the deep, and I find every game with an ocean-exploring theme really appealing. Since I have recently become a proud owner of a Wii (a.k.a. Xenoblade-playing-machine) I am looking forward to have a taste of Endless Ocean. Hell, I don't know how the game will be, but the title is really suggesting.

If you have a PS2, you might also want to check out Everblue 2. (I haven't played the original and can't speak on that.) It has a heavy emphasis on exploration and scavenging locations such as shipwrecks. It's obviously low budget, but it's a great game, and it sounds like it would be right up your alley.

Dr. Ecco

Neo Member
Night_Trekker said:
If you have a PS2, you might also want to check out Everblue 2. (I haven't played the original and can't speak on that.) It has a heavy emphasis on exploration and scavenging locations such as shipwrecks. It's obviously low budget, but it's a great game, and it sounds like it would be right up your alley.

I'll definitely check it out, thanks for the heads up.

Fou-Lu

There's just something about dolphins I don't like, so I've never played Ecco. But the feel of the game is really starting to remind me of Aquaria from what everyone has to say about it and Aquaria is one of my favorite games ever. Maybe I should give it a chance.

Top Bottom