• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

EDF Insect Armageddon |OT| There is no magnifying glass big enough

Earth has been attacked.

You're kind of fucked.

61TWKXRCfpL._AA300_.jpg
61Oj3hoQfDL._AA300_.jpg

Developer(s) Vicious Cycle Software
Distributor(s) D3 Publisher
Platform(s) PlayStation 3, Xbox 360
Release date(s)

* NA July 5, 2011 (out for pre-orders on July 2nd at Gamestop)
* EU July 15, 2011

Genre(s) Third-person shooter
Mode(s) Single player, three player splitscreen or online co-op & Six player Survival Mode

the-earth-defense-force-insect-armageddon-20110607023212046_640w.jpg
the-earth-defense-force-insect-armageddon-20110607023232608_640w.jpg

the-earth-defense-force-insect-armageddon-20110607023245811_640w.jpg
the-earth-defense-force-insect-armageddon-20110512115851889_640w.jpg

Raise your hand if you read these lines and think they're amazing:

"You killed everyone! My family, my friends... CURSE YOU SCUM, DIE!!"

"What's it gonna take to BRING YOU DOWN!!?"

"HQ, HQ! The nest is just too full of bugs! We're all gonna die if we don't get out of here! Requesting permission to retreat!"
".....Permission Denied. Keep fighting!"

"The aliens are feeding off humans, we have to kill these people eating monsters."

"Destroy them all."

"Don't attack the spaceships, we aren't sure they are related!"

"The bugs are moving around and attacking people."

"The bugs are shooting some kind of acid. It's a terrible weapon that will even melt your armor."

"Did we wake you, mother ship?"

"I feel like a mole or something."

"They're a herd of people-eating monsters!"

"We're on an exciting underground expedition!"

If you answered yes, you are probably a fan of 2007's budget classic, Earth Defense Force 2017. Or you are living a real-life alien bug invasion in your head and should speak to a professional immediately.

For everyone else

Earth_defense_force_2017_box_art.jpg

You ever wonder what it would be like to be swarmed by bug monsters while you run around clacking your hands together in an effort to reload turrets while your friend is sitting next to you on the couch literally screaming while he unloads dozens of stinger rockets in to an alien drop ship while running from spiders?

Well now you can do that, but online!

Insect Armageddon is a sequel to Earth Defense Force 2017, developed by Vicious Cycle with a western audience in mind. This has lead to some improvements, such as online play in the campaign, and some weird decisions, like an emphasis on longer maps with fewer numbers. On the whole, most impressions agree that it does EDF 2017 justice.

Unlike 2017, you can play as multiple classes:

Trooper Armor: Trooper armor is the standard loadout for EDF soldiers. Functionally the same as Storm 1 from Earth Defense Force: 2017, it has access to more weapons than any other class, and upgradable abilities that allow it to be a versatile, all-around unit. The Trooper Armor is also the only armor available in Survival Mode.

Jet Armor: Jet armor is a suit Lightening Alpha can acquire to take the fight to the skies. It uses energy to replenish weapons, much like the Pale wing from EDF 2. The jet pack allows the fastest movement across the map for any class, but also the weakest protection.

Tactical Armor: Tactical armor fulfills a wide ranging support role, and is the only class that can deploy turrets, mines, and radar dishes. Stronger equipment is unlocked as the story progresses.

Battle Armor: Battle armor transforms players into a veritable walking tank. Slow moving and hard-hitting, it comes equipped a portable energy shield and can equip some of the most powerful weapons in the game. Battle armor also can release its entire pool of energy in a massive electric blast, damaging everything unfortunate enough to be close by.

Q. Hey, where's Storm One?

A. Japan! In this game you play as Lightning Alpha who's...not from Japan. Despite the name.

Q. Is there DLC planned?

A. There are some pre-order DLC packs. Here's Wiki's explanation:

The Pounds of Pain pack features 15 weapons mostly for the Battle Armor but also a few for the Trooper Armor and Tactical Armor, available from Gamestop. The Death From Above pack features 15 weapons mostly for the Jet Armor but also a few for the Trooper Armor and Tactical Armor as well, available from Bestbuy.

Q. So there's online, is there also split-screen?

A. Sure is. It was added due to fan demand.

Q. Are there still swarms?

A. Impressions have mentioned that bug count has not been sacrificed. In the interest of latency and lag, bugs do disappear after death, but anyone who has ever accidentally shot a rocket in to the face of a dead bug and taken damage for it might not think this is the worst thing ever.

Q. Are there still the same enemy types?

A. Ravagers, ants, and spiders are all there.

Q. What about vehicles?

A. Also there and revamped to be not-completely useless.

I think that covers everything.

GET BUG HUNTING, GAF!

Shiv47

Well, initial impressions have taken me from being excited to ambivalent, but we'll see. Going to pick up my pre-order now.

MrDaravon

Gamestops apparently got in barely any extra stock past pre-orders; went to one store at opening and they only 2 sellable 360 copies, which were both bought by me and someone else who were there at opening. Went to the other Gamestop across the street to get one for a friend, and they only had one sellable 360 copy.

Daigoro

damn, since when do pre-orders get released early at gamestop? news to me.

im interested in this game. going to be hard to resist picking up next week.

MrDaravon

So far I'm still loving the incidental dialogue.

"It's raining men!" and "I never wanted to be anything but E.D.F.!"

game looks amazingly fun. split-screen and the lower price is pushing me to buy it, even though im kinda broke at the moment...

kmfdmpig

Shiv47 said:
Well, initial impressions have taken me from being excited to ambivalent, but we'll see. Going to pick up my pre-order now.

The impressions have made me more excited as other than the 15 level concern, which doesn't seem too horrible to me as:
I didn't particularly like the cave levels in 2017
It sounds like the remixes might play completely differently
Some of the levels in 2017 were so short and/or not ones I wanted to repeat

I just hope that there are a few levels with lots of Hektors I'll be happy. I'm also really looking forward to even more weapons and the 4 different armors.

MrDaravon

Really like the addition of active reload.

Also OP: You may want to add the .pdf available on their website found here. If anyone remembers the .pdf that was up on the press site for the first game, it's fairly similar although it doesn't go into quite as much detail as the one for the previous game did (that one had specific weapon drops IIRC). Also useful since the 360 version doesn't come with a manual, which is still baffling, especially since the PS3 one does.

Boerseun

Banned
tw1164 said:
I never played the first one. is the gameplay comparable to crackdown?

No, it's not comparable to Crackdown at all. EDF is a shooter where you face off against wave after wave of huge, mutated insects, flying saucers and gigantic robots. Add to that hundreds upon hundreds of weapons, plus an out of this world, unbelievably awesome, split-screen co-op mode, and you've got massive value for money right there.

Also, this is actually the fourth episode in the series (not the second). The third entry (Earth Defense Force 2017) was one of the few games this gen to make me go "WOW!" and almost single-handedly justified owning a Xbox 360.

MrDaravon

InfectedZero said:
It took three of us about 8-10 minutes with tier one stuff to take out the first hector haha

Wait, are you talking about the small one in the very first level? If so, unless it scales crazy with more players I literally don't understand how that's possible.

Shiv47

eLZhi said:
I haven't been following this. What are the major differences between this and 2017?

EDIT: I mean in more detail than what is in the OP.

Only 15 levels, 300 weapons instead of 172, 4 classes to choose from, more bug variety, survival mode, online co-op, to name a few.

Shiv47

Just realized that I didn't get any kind of code from Gamestop for the pre-order weapon pack. For those who got theirs, I assume it was on a separate receipt?

I just picked this up at Gamestop. Despite not preordering, the copy I got was still shrinkwrapped and outside of simply asking if I wanted to preorder anything else, they didn't try to upsell me at all. It was almost like shopping at a real store.

I'll mostly be playing splitscreen today, but if anyone wants to play co-op on PS3, send me a friend request, PSN: TelemachusD

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
Shiv47 said:
Just realized that I didn't get any kind of code from Gamestop for the pre-order weapon pack. For those who got theirs, I assume it was on a separate receipt?
Yeah, and it didn't work when we tried to print it seperate. My friend just texted it to me an hour later, so they may've been borked

Tain

Skipping out on this one. Next time I want to play EDF, it'll likely be more EDF2.

all I really want from this series is EDF2 at 60fps.

MrDaravon

InfectedZero said:
It was just 2 of us with a bot. We are level one though so maybe thats why?

No, but I mean when I played that level as the first level in the game it took me less than a minute. Only thing I can think of is maybe you guys accidentally had it on a high difficulty. The UI is a little weird, I keep thinking I have one option selected and it's actually one lower. On the main screen when you're selecting missions and difficulty, make sure you have normal (or whatever) selected; "Any" is right below Normal IIRC, and I believe Any randomizes the difficulty so you guys may have accidentally done that maybe?

Also laughing forever at one of my guys: "I'm liveblogging this whole thing right now! My hits are going to be through the roof!"

Well, first negative right off the bat, Fire on the PS3 is mapped to R2 with no way to change it, which is very annoying to me.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
TelemachusD said:
Well, first negative right off the bat, Fire on the PS3 is mapped to R2 with no way to change it, which is very annoying to me.
you should buy some real triggers. that'll change it

zoner said:
you should buy some real triggers. that'll change it
No it won't. Shooting with R1 is just better period since I can easily use my middle finger on R2 without moving my index finger. There's not really any control options besides switching dodge and sprint and inverting look.

Played the first level. The intro turret section is a complete waste of time, but the rest of the level was ok. I would like to turn the bots off though. I don't want or need the AI to help me. The jetpack seemed weak, but after the battle I ranked up the armor and a message said the jetpack had improved so we'll see how good it gets.

Mejilan

Running off of Custom Firmware
Despite preordering from GS, I won't be able to pick mine up until the 5th. Getting the PS3 version, so I hope there are no issues.

I seriously hope that the written lines and VA are as cheesy as the last 360 outing!

got it at gamestop and played for the past 30 mins or so. pretty good so far. i'm playing on Normal mode, which is probably not what most people play on but i have to get reacquainted with the game first!

Sword Familiar

178% of NeoGAF posters don't understand statistics
Excite! Too bad I won't be buying it on release, as I can't afford it right now. I would have wanted to support this from the start, but I'll have to buy it as soon as I my economy going again.

graphics seem to be improved quite a bit from what i remember with EDF 2017, but it has been about 3 or 4 years since i played it so maybe i'm just not remembering it right.

seems there are 3 main levels with 5 stages in each level. definitely not as many "stages" as EDF 2017 but these stages seem long and again this is a budget title.

there was also no instruction book in the 360 version. i say good, instruction booklets are stupid. no one ever uses them anyways, just a waste

Top Bottom