• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Edgar Wright's ANT-MAN -- November 15, 2015

Status
Not open for further replies.

shira

never understood that Black Panther gets on GAF. He's a B level character at best, right up there with Ghost Rider and Gambit. He may be "cool" but he's not a classic.

Give me Ant-Man, Dr. Strange, a good FF movie, or even Captain Marvel over BP any day of the week.
No no no superheroes must be all white people. Nick Fury can be black, hulk can be green, but everyone else must be white. The bad guys can be black, red, blue, or purple But only tall white males for main heroes and girls with assets in leather for minor characters

Stark has always been Iron Man... the problem is RDJ is now pretty much Stark. Fuck that might will be hard to pull over on fans.

I cant see them recasting, it would be like recasting Captain Jack Sparrow from the POTC. Robert Downey Jr owns the part, it is his portrayal that audiences like the most about the Iron Man movies. If they did kill him off I can see someone else donning the Iron Man suit, but not Tony Stark.

shira

Stark has always been Iron Man... the problem is RDJ is now pretty much Stark. Fuck that might will be hard to pull over on fans.

I cant see them recasting, it would be like recasting Captain Jack Sparrow from the POTC. Robert Downey Jr owns the part, it is his portrayal that audiences like the most about the Iron Man movies. If they did kill him off I can see someone else donning the Iron Man suit, but not Tony Stark.
98895_don-cheadle-as-col-james-rhodes-in-iron-man-2.jpg

It's all a moot point, IMO, because RDJ isn't looking to step down anytime soon.

I'd bet money he's in A3 at the very least.

Someone? Sure. Iron Man? Not a chance.

If I was Kevin Feige, I would rather have a character leave in the most impactful way possibly , they could make it an incredibly poignant scene, instead of audiences getting tired of him when he has starred in more than 5 movies.

Tobor

They said the same about Connery as Bond, and Shatner as Captain Kirk. It's always difficult replacing an iconic actor, but it's never impossible.

If I was Kevin Feige, I would rather have a character leave in the most impactful way possibly , they could make it an incredibly poignant scene, instead of audiences getting tired of him when he has starred in more than 5 movies.

What evidence is there that audiences are getting tired of him?

LosDaddie

Banned
eh, I'll watch it because it's part of MCU, but I'm not too excited about Ant Man. I hope Marvel doesn't spend too much making this because a proper Ant Man movie will cost a ton to make. Tons of CGI will be needed.

GAF lost its shit for Scott Pilgrim, so it's not surprising to see the Wright support here. I thought SP was boring, but I have faith Marvel won't let that happen.

How long is marvel going to tempt fate before they have a bomb on their hands? They seem to be doing way too many movies way too fast. I don't have a problem with them making films on lesser known characters but they're really flooding the market at this point and that's usually not a good thing, especially with several movies coming out in the same year.

This never got leaked, right?
Someone made a storyboard-style recreation video of it from memory. That's the best we have so far though.
EDIT: http://youtu.be/qGJ0tMAxbkk

never understood that Black Panther gets on GAF. He's a B level character at best, right up there with Ghost Rider and Gambit. He may be "cool" but he's not a classic.

Give me Ant-Man, Dr. Strange, a good FF movie, or even Captain Marvel over BP any day of the week.
How are you going to call Black Panther B-level and then act like Ant-Man and Dr Strange are above that? smh

How long is marvel going to tempt fate before they have a bomb on their hands? They seem to be doing way too many movies way too fast. I don't have a problem with them making films on lesser known characters but they're really flooding the market at this point and that's usually not a good thing, especially with several movies coming out in the same year.
Marvel's budgets are (notoriously) in check so a bomb here and there won't hurt them. The only movies they've gone all out on were Avengers and, to a lesser extent, the Iron Man movies now that they're proven successes.

T.M. MacReady

NO ONE DENIES MEMBER
Isn't two Marvel movies a year every year a bit of overkill? Good Job Bob is gonna have to quit his job to devote more time to posting on Gaf about how awful they are.

Hindle

Banned
I'm hoping this is like Die Hard of superhero movies. Have a bunch of baddies take over a huge lab and Ant Man takes them out.

LosDaddie

Banned

GAF wants a minority superhero in the Avengers, which is fine with me. BP is going to be a tough sell to American audiences, though. But damn, BP is no more B-tier than Ant Man/Dr Strange, or eve GotG.

Seriously. Hell, all of the Avengers were B-List heroes until their movies came out. Let's not kid ourselves.

Hulk has always been popular.

War Machine is nowhere near as important to the franchise

Rhodes was/is important to the IM franchise, though.

Nesotenso

GAF wants a minority superhero in the Avengers, which is fine with me. BP is going to be a tough sell to American audiences, though. But damn, BP is no more B-tier than Ant Man/Dr Strange, or eve GotG.

Hulk has always been popular.

Rhodes was/is important to the IM franchise, though.

I mean no one gives a shit if a sidekick/ supporting character gets recast.

Htown

STOP SHITTING ON MY MOTHER'S HEADSTONE
Sorry for derailing the thread, guys. My bitterness runs wild sometimes.

So, which Ant-Man is this?

We talking Pym, Lang, or O'Grady?

wondermega

I am more than a bit superhero-movie'd out at this point - but to be honest the idea of an Ant-Man movie does sound pretty exciting as an over-the-top FX film. The shrinking stuff is interesting (they've floated some interesting ideas for.. decades, now!) but if they mix in a fair bit of the Giant-Man business then that would absolutely be something to see. It'd be pretty lame if they didn't wanna go there for "the first movie" however

So what's the Phase 2 schedule at the moment? Iron Man 3 and Thor 2 in 2013, Captain America 2 and GotG in 2014, Avengers 2 and Ant Man in 2015?

I want to see someone talk to Ant Man saying "Huh, you couldn't fight yourself out a paper bag", then for him to be like "OH YEAH" then shrink down and jump into a paper bag and burst out it lol

Sorry for derailing the thread, guys. My bitterness runs wild sometimes.

So, which Ant-Man is this?

We talking Pym, Lang, or O'Grady?
They haven't really said yet.

Originally they were talking about having both Pym and Lang where Pym would have been the original in like the 60's/70's or something and the torch would have been passed to Lang in the present day. That was pre-Avengers talk though so I doubt they'll go that route.

My money is on them using Pym since he's a pretty big part of the Marvel U with a strong tie to Ultron who is a classic Avengers villain. I think O'Grady would be more interesting though and would make for a more entertaining movie.

Acid08

Banned
Edgar Wright has done no wrong, probably the only director/writer I have complete faith in.

Hopefully they use Pym and the connect him to an Avengers sequel.

LosDaddie

Banned
Isn't two Marvel movies a year every year a bit of overkill? .

I don't think so. Why would it be overkill? It will be 2 different superhero IPs in a given year, not the same IP twice.

I mean no one gives a shit if a sidekick/ supporting character gets recast.

It's still confusing either way. But yes, it's easier to recast a sidekick.

Touche. I'll give y'all Hulk. That's still like 1/6 the team tho.

I just don't like the argument that such and such superhero shouldn't be in a movie cause they aren't known or high profile enough. Nobody outside of comic fans were on Iron Man's dick like they are now before 2008.

While not on Spiderman's, Xmen's, or Hulk's level, I thought IM, Thor and Capt America were more popular than Black Panther. Maybe I'm wrong

ReiGun

While not on Spiderman's, Xmen's, or Hulk's level, I thought IM, Thor and Capt America were more popular than Black Panther. Maybe I'm wrong

They were, but in the grand scheme, most people knew nothing about them at all before their movies released. I know that as someone who didn't read comics at the time, Cap and IM were just characters that popped up in Spider-Man's cartoon from time to time. I didn't know who the hell Thor was beyond the actual Norse myths.

Panther's probably a C-List hero, really. Same as...Ant-Man. The Guardians are like D-List. Really, the popularity argument is kind of weird, cause if these characters are never in anything beyond comics (which most folk don't read), of course they aren't gonna be popular or known.

Parallax

best seen in the classic "Shadow of the Beast"
They were, but in the grand scheme, most people knew nothing about them at all before their movies released. I know that as someone who didn't read comics at the time, Cap and IM were just characters that popped up in Spider-Man's cartoon from time to time. I didn't know who the hell Thor was beyond the actual Norse myths.

Panther's probably a C-List hero, really. Same as...Ant-Man. The Guardians are like D-List. Really, the popularity argument is kind of weird, cause if these characters are never in anything beyond comics (which most folk don't read), of course they aren't gonna be popular or known.

the guardians are way below panther. even in cameo mode, panther has been around in the back since the 90s.

Vice

Ant-Man, Strang and Captain Marvel are on the same level as Ghost Rider and Gambit as well. Heck, until Iron Man every Marvel character that wasn't Spider-Man or an X-men member was B or C level.

Slayven

The thing with Black Panther is he'll just come across as a Batman ripoff like he did in Avengers:Earth's Mightiest Heroes. Rich guy with expert martial arts training and tons of resources and high tech gadgets.

That true if you do the most simplest most superfiscal take on BP. Batman and BP are both driven dudes, the difference is BP isn't broken and can get shit done. Batman can't keep Gotham from becoming the septic asshole of America, Wakanda's wikipedia page says "Nots to be fucked with." Last edit by Dr. Doom.

Parallax

you would take a captain marvel movie over panther? really?

That true if you do the most simplest most superfiscal take on BP. Batman and BP are both driven dudes, the difference is BP isn't broken and can get shit done. Batman can't keep Gotham from becoming the septic asshole of America, Wakanda's wikipedia page says "Nots to be fucked with." Last edit by Dr. Doom.

dont forget the skrull corpses.

+1

Make Ant-Man AND Black Panther happen. kthx.

LosDaddie

Banned

It's unfortunate, but the sad reality is that IPs like Ant Man and GotG are an easier sell to American audiences than Black Panther.

JdFoX187

Banned
I really don't see Panther getting his own movie at first. I could really see them throwing in T'Chaka with some backstory in a Captain America flashback and then Panther showing up in another movie. But he's not going to headline his own film before already being introduced, ala the rumored Dr. Strange appearance. The only reason the Guardians of the Galaxy are getting their own film is because they directly tie into Thanos, who Marvel is pushing for Avengers 2. Unless their movie does gangbusters, it will probably be the only time we see them.

Parallax

It's unfortunate, but the sad reality is that IPs like Ant Man and GotG are an easier sell to American audiences than Black Panther.

internationally too im sure. but marvel isnt gonna outright say why they wont make it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom