• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Edgar Wright's ANT-MAN -- November 15, 2015

Status
Not open for further replies.

DonasaurusRex

Online Ho Champ
Why are the xmen always brought up in a list conversation? Wolverine sure, but the others? The movies can't even keep their shit in order when it comes to the xmen. The only stand outs are logan, charles, and max. The rest are rotary/cookie cutter. Hell, a friend of mine didn't even know that havok and cyke are brothers until I told him. Outside of mahvel fans(and even then I'm not sure) and comic readers, who the hell knows about the xmen?

xmen are brought up as A-List because they are, you're going to be hard pressed to find a more popular comicbook team in the past 30 years than Xmen or Teen Titans. The last 6-7 years have seen the avengers re emerge and to a degree the FF4 but that compared to the utter frenzy that was the Xmen for 3 decades is nothing. I dont know if your anecdotal evidence about Alex Summers is even relevant. You do realize when you use that for your point of view , then harken back to only "mahvel" fans knowing the expanded roster, your talking about a time when FAR more people read comics. A lot of people love Iceman, Rogue, Archangel (fuck Angel), Storm, Colossus,...basically the old blue and gold teams from the relaunch is the defacto team at this point.

They hit it big during the bronze age of the 70's and stayed that way till the early - mid 2000's. They've had to share with the avengers ever since ultimates/disassembled/civil war etc etc.

From a business perspective, you don't even think about greenlighting a project unless there's a chance at a franchise. GOTG, if handled correctly, could sell a lot of toys.

Yeah, definitely. I'm just thinking in terms of fitting it into their "phases" for The Avengers films. There's going to be a point where they have way too many franchises running and will be leaving some out of the run-up to each Avengers film, much like people are speculating that there won't be an Iron Man 4 before Avengers 3. A Guardians of the Galaxy 2 for Avengers Phase 3 doesn't make much sense if Avengers 3 won't feature a cosmic villain.

That's not to say they won't make the second film at all but it could be a long time coming and displaced from the Avengers fold. I guess we'll have to wait and see how soon Marvel wants to expand the MCU beyond just Avengers-related films.

akira28

Yes that is exactly what I am talking about. And yes, that list is incredibly small (though these movies are growing it). That's kind of the point though. That's why it's the "A-list". If it was just based on characters people who actually read comics generally know it would be at least 10 times the size it currently is.

That's the only A-list I give a shit about, the comic and cartoon and superhero savvy one. Who gives a flying goddamn what the American Idol watching LCD culture public likes? They probably watched the last Spiderman movie in a vacuum. They're the consumer sheep raised for movie and media producers to slaughter. And I certainly don't want them to have ANY impact whatsoever on what hero movies get made, because they know absolutely dick.

VariantX04

Loser slave of the system :(
This release date confuses me because I thought Edgar and Cornish's script, according to Edgar, had nothing to do with the Avengers and ultimately MCU. That's exactly what I want. Having it release after the Avengers 2 and this talk of phase 3 has me worried Marvel is up to no good.

Tobor

Yeah, definitely. I'm just thinking in terms of fitting it into their "phases" for The Avengers films. There's going to be a point where they have way too many franchises running and will be leaving some out of the run-up to each Avengers film, much like people are speculating that there won't be an Iron Man 4 before Avengers 3. A Guardians of the Galaxy 2 for Avengers Phase 3 doesn't make much sense if Avengers 3 won't feature a cosmic villain.

That's not to say they won't make the second film at all but it could be a long time coming and displaced from the Avengers fold. I guess we'll have to wait and see how soon Marvel wants to expand the MCU beyond just Avengers-related films.

Oh, I see what you're saying. It doesn't have to tie in beyond the end credits teaser.

Feige did say there would be another Hulk movie after Avengers 2.

My guess is that phase 3 will be Ant-Man, Hulk, Cap 3, Thor 3, and Dr. Strange and/or Black Panther.
My dream scenario (someone mentioned this before):

*Sometime during Avengers 2, Hulk would get launched in to space through some fault of the rest of the Avengers while fighting Thanos.

*Post-credit scene is Hulk landing on Sakaar.

*Hulk 2 is basically Planet Hulk.

*Avengers 3 is World War Hulk.

Blader

This release date confuses me because I thought Edgar and Cornish's script, according to Edgar, had nothing to do with the Avengers and ultimately MCU. That's exactly what I want. Having it release after the Avengers 2 and this talk of phase 3 has me worried Marvel is up to no good.

That doesn't make it sense. Why are you worried about it being released after Avengers 2, when that shows it won't obviously be tying into that movie?

I think the confusion comes from the fact that Wright/Cornish confirmed a few years back that the script they were working on for Marvel involved multiple generations of Ant-Man, Pym in the past and Lang in the present. I think with the shift of building every MCU film to tie in directly to The Avengers, that script no longer works (and we already know they've been re-writing to fit Marvel's plan). I think that concept is dead and this film will be all Pym, as he's the character Marvel wants to establish for the Avengers films.

Ultron is extremely likely as the villain of choice for Avengers 3, unless they go with Kang but I doubt they will do two big "cosmic" villains in a row. I think he's mostly worried that Ant-Man will be used to lay the ground for Avengers Phase 3 instead of being a stand-alone "Ant-Man"-only movie, which is most likely no longer the case.

Parallax

best seen in the classic "Shadow of the Beast"
xmen are brought up as A-List because they are, you're going to be hard pressed to find a more popular comicbook team in the past 30 years than Xmen or Teen Titans. The last 6-7 years have seen the avengers re emerge and to a degree the FF4 but that compared to the utter frenzy that was the Xmen for 3 decades is nothing. I dont know if your anecdotal evidence about Alex Summers is even relevant. You do realize when you use that for your point of view , then harken back to only "mahvel" fans knowing the expanded roster, your talking about a time when FAR more people read comics. A lot of people love Iceman, Rogue, Archangel (fuck Angel), Storm, Colossus,...basically the old blue and gold teams from the relaunch is the defacto team at this point.

They hit it big during the bronze age of the 70's and stayed that way till the early - mid 2000's. They've had to share with the avengers ever since ultimates/disassembled/civil war etc etc.

a lot of people? who outside of comics cares about iceman? colossus? archangel even less? the only relevant names that you listed are maybe rogue and storm. and both are due to the movies, and names attached to them. none of them have spider man or wolverine appeal when it comes to the public eye.

and the alex summers thing comes from explaining to my friend who he was when watching first class last year and he didnt know any of the players outside beast, charles, and max.

2370070-mm.jpg

god damn the new league is lame.

VariantX04

That doesn't make it sense. Why are you worried about it being released after Avengers 2, when that shows it won't obviously be tying into that movie?
Well if it's not tied to the Avengers 2 and MCU, why is Disney/Marvel making us wait until 2015, which is the time phase 3 is reportedly set to begin? I'd have no qualms about it being so far away if there was no script written or writers attached. This just means that they might make some changes and visions may start to clash, resulting in mediocre output.

Blader

Well if it's not tied to the Avengers 2 and MCU, why is Disney/Marvel making us wait until 2015, which is the time phase 3 is reportedly set to begin? I'd have no qualms about it being so far away if there was no script written or writers attached. This just means that they might make some changes and visions may start to clash, resulting in mediocre output.

Because Wright is busy making another movie right now.

TDLink

Is GotG going to need a sequel? Not that it will lack any substance, but it seems to be something specifically made as a Thanos introduction film, like a one-shot or something. Ant-man could also serve that purpose to introduce Ultron for Phase 3.

Though if it is a big success then there's no reason they wouldn't want to turn it into its own franchise.

Guardians of the Galaxy can absolutely be just as large a franchise as The Avengers. It's the same base concept (group of heroes come together to fight stuff, albeit a bit more ragtag) just in a different setting (space) that automatically "raises the stakes". I also don't really think this current GotG movie will connect to Avengers 2 very much at all other than introducing Thanos to audiences. Thanos isn't the only GotG villain though and they could easily do a second and/or third film if they wanted. The "phases" have always referred to the MCU, not just The Avengers, and I think Marvel sees the importance of starting to grow additional franchises to The Avengers. If GotG gets popular enough they could feasibly alternate it with an Avengers film in the future as the "big capper film" to avoid franchise fatigue.

Also, if Ultron is in fact going to be the ultimate Phase 3 badguy...well...he is a GotG villain as well. So why not use him in a GotG 2? Or they can just go in a different direction. It isn't like Thanos will be in all of the Phase 2 films.

VariantX04

Because Wright is busy making another movie right now.

I'm pretty sure I read somewhere that Edgar was planning to shoot Ant-Man right after completing The World's End. I hope I'm wrong but I wouldn't put it past any studio to shit up a director's vision for extra box office take.

Black_Stride

do not tempt fate do not contrain Wonder Woman's thighs do not do not
<--- :(
I want my Ms. Marvel/Captain Marvel movie!

I never really liked Ant Man, lame superhero IMO.

Thats gonna be a very very long wait my friend.
You are more likely to see Ultimate Carol Danvers and an amalgam of 616 and Ultimate Captain Marvel than see OG Ms Marvel and Captain Marvel.

Shame really cuz im absolutely loving the new Captain Marvel books, i hope they do well so i can keep reading them.

Love Carols suit too....i loathed the initial drawing but it really has grown on me, its probably the most modern Marvel suit in Marvel NOW!

Blader

I'm pretty sure I read somewhere that Edgar was planning to shoot Ant-Man right after completing The World's End. I hope I'm wrong but I wouldn't put it past any studio to shit up a director's vision for extra box office take.

The World's End comes out late next year. He'd start shooting Ant-Man in 2014 for 2015 release. He normally doesn't even work that fast; there's been a 3 year turnaround between all of his other movies.

LosDaddie

Banned
The director (arguably) hasn't made a bad flick yet.

Scott Pilgrim was boring, but not a "bad" flick, I guess.

That's the bullshit.

I don't think that's true.

American audiences have proven time and time again that they'll go see big budget blockbusters with minorities in the main role, but every time it happens, Old Hollywood chalks it up to "well I guess this guy is the exception and not the rule." Every time!

Like others have said, the problem is not so much having a black male as the lead, but BP's origin story & Wakanda, and how to sell that to mass audiences. And yes, the name 'Black Panther', and how toxic it is in American culture. It's a sad reality.

I think that if we ever see BP in a movie, it'll be a supporting role. Then again, I never thought Ant Man would be able to get his own movie.

Why are the xmen always brought up in a list conversation?

5 movies, numerous TV shows and video games. That's about as 'A List' as it gets. And yes, this is referring the group X-Men, not individual characters, other than Wolvie.

Suggesting BP is A list or has that level of following is laughable.

Indeed.

Realistically here was the A-list before 2008 for Marvel:

Spider Man
The Incredible Hulk
Wolverine/"The X-Men"
"The Fantastic Four"

Pretty much. Marvel tried to get Dare Devil, Ghost Rider and Blade on that level, but it didn't work out

VariantX04

The World's End comes out late next year. He'd start shooting Ant-Man in 2014 for 2015 release. He normally doesn't even work that fast; there's been a 3 year turnaround between all of his other movies.

Yeah, I'm well aware of that. I was going based off rumors around Comic-Con that he'd be tackling the project as soon as they wrapped production on TWE. Seems I misread the rumors which talk about Ant-Man shooting directly after Thor: The Dark World instead. Apologies.

Latino Review said:
The current rumor buzzing around the internet after Edgar Wright’s ‘Ant-Man’ test footage debuted at San Diego Comic Con is that ‘Ant-Man’ could possibly be added to Marvel’s 2014 slate (joining ‘Guardians’ and ‘Cap 2&#8242;), kicking off the oft-rumored Marvel strategy of adding a third in-continuity film during these Phase 2 years.

Looks like that rumor has some teeth and we’ve exclusively learned that, as of this moment, the plan is for ‘Ant-Man’ to step into Marvel’s London production branch once principal photography on ‘Thor: The Dark World’ wraps. Thor is expected to go in front of cameras this August…so soon.

It would appear the race is on to get Edgar Wright’s ‘The World’s End’ into production if Marvel is expecting him to slide into London come late spring/early summer 2013. The Simon Pegg/Nick Frost trilogy capper would likely face a schedule where post-production had some serious overlap with pre-production on ‘Ant-Man,’ but that’s just speculation.

Jezan

Thats gonna be a very very long wait my friend.
You are more likely to see Ultimate Carol Danvers and an amalgam of 616 and Ultimate Captain Marvel than see OG Ms Marvel and Captain Marvel.

Shame really cuz im absolutely loving the new Captain Marvel books, i hope they do well so i can keep reading them.

Love Carols suit too....i loathed the initial drawing but it really has grown on me, its probably the most modern Marvel suit in Marvel NOW!
New Captain Marvel is awesome! (I have yet to find a nice avatar). And I'm totally aware of a looooong wait before I can see Carol in the big screen, but Marvel should push it if they want her to be A-tier character :p I wish ;_;

Parallax

best seen in the classic "Shadow of the Beast"
5 movies, numerous TV shows and video games. That's about as 'A List' as it gets. And yes, this is referring the group X-Men, not individual characters, other than Wolvie.

three of those movies might as well be called wolverine featuring the xmen, because they sure as hell werent team focused, one of them was exactly that, and the last made such a big deal of his appearance that it was hilariously sad. the animated series were a bit more balanced, but even then wolverine took most of the spotlight.

Nizz

Pretty much. Marvel tried to get Dare Devil, Ghost Rider and Blade on that level, but it didn't work out
Well, we can thank Sony for letting Mark Steven Johnson direct both movies and not delivering.

At least Daredevil is back with Marvel/Disney.

Touche. I'll give y'all Hulk. That's still like 1/6 the team tho.

I just don't like the argument that such and such superhero shouldn't be in a movie cause they aren't known or high profile enough. Nobody outside of comic fans were on Iron Man's dick like they are now before 2008.

Agreed. Hell, before the casting of RDJ, I thought Iron Man was a terrible idea for a movie, and was going to fail miserably.

Black_Stride

do not tempt fate do not contrain Wonder Woman's thighs do not do not
New Captain Marvel is awesome! (I have yet to find a nice avatar). And I'm totally aware of a looooong wait before I can see Carol in the big screen, but Marvel should push it if they want her to be A-tier character :p I wish ;_;

Captain Marvel(Carol) will be A-tier by the end of the year if she isnt already.
The books are incredible and the name carries alot of weight....whether the general public know follow her or not is inconsequential because the general public arent comicbook readers.

But seeing Carol in a movie would def bump up the Captain Marvel sales.....and she wouldnt just be eye candy in the movie either Ms Marvel kicks ass, id want to see her get into a good city block wide fist fight with someone......if only the War of Marvels could be made into a standalone movie.

DonasaurusRex

Online Ho Champ
a lot of people? who outside of comics cares about iceman? colossus? archangel even less? the only relevant names that you listed are maybe rogue and storm. and both are due to the movies, and names attached to them. none of them have spider man or wolverine appeal when it comes to the public eye.

and the alex summers thing comes from explaining to my friend who he was when watching first class last year and he didnt know any of the players outside beast, charles, and max.

god damn the new league is lame.

why do i have to go outside of comics to find a lot of people? I'm talking about them being big over the past 3 decades and still maintaining a lot of that popularity to this day. THEN you can add in multiple tv shows, video games, and hollywood movies. How can you discount decades of loyal fans. The mainstream fans are extra , their core of fans whether it be from comics like me , or games like my friends, or tv shows like my little brother , we are legion. There isnt a more popular team book ...perhaps in the history of comics than Uncanny/Xmen

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom