• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

EDGE #203 Review Scores (Infamous, Punch-Out & Ghostbusters)

Arnie

This thread is getting embarrassing, butthurt Sony/inFAMOUS fans attacking Crackdown and spouting their usual conspiracy theory nonsense.

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
Arnie said:
This thread is getting embarrassing, butthurt Sony/inFAMOUS fans attacking Crackdown and spouting their usual conspiracy theory nonsense.
don't say I didn't warn you

itsinmyveins

Gets to pilot the crappy patrol labors
Arnie said:

Yeah, and listing games to prove a point but leaving, for instance, Little Big Planet out -- which got 10/10 :lol

Scooter

Banned
I will retract my statement about the two publications being biased if one of the usual suspects who are defending them can explain to me why PS3 fans correctly predicted low scores from these two.

Are we prophets?

Gravijah

Scooter said:
I will retract my statement about the two publications being biased if one of the usual suspects who are defending them can explain to me why PS3 fans correctly predicted low scores from these two.

Are we prophets?

Those who seek will find.

Ikuu

Had his dog run over by Blizzard's CEO
Scooter said:

Are we prophets?
Easy, PS3 doesn't have any good games.

:lol

Scooter said:

Are we prophets?

Because Edge don't inflate scores for exclusives like most mags( I don't read Eurogamer so can't answer about them)

fushi

I'd appreciate it if someone could post (or summarize) the Knights in the Nightmare review. Sort of curious as to what their gripes were.

On another note, the platform-specific paranoia in this thread is idiotic. Chill out, dudes.

Scooter

Banned
Cerebral Assassin said:
Because Edge don't inflate scores for exclusives like most mags( I don't read Eurogamer so can't answer about them)

:lol Have you even seen their scores for 360 exclusives?

fushi said:
I'd appreciate it if someone could post (or summarize) the Knights in the Nightmare review. Sort of curious as to what their gripes were.

On another note, the platform-specific paranoia in this thread is idiotic. Chill out, dudes.

You'll probably have more luck from about Tues-Weds onwards as only subscribers have the issue at the moment.

Have you even seen their scores for 360 exclusives?

Only one X360(exclusive) game has a 10, the same as PS3(and Wii)

gtj1092

Arnie said:

You can tell where your bias stems from considering the majority of this thread is excite bot score bitching. Nice try though.

Arnie

gtj1092 said:
You can tell where your bias stems from considering the majority of this thread is excite bot score bitching. Nice try though.
Not really jackass, I read page 6 only. Nice try though.:D

gtj1092 said:

Fans of EXCITE aren't claiming the magazine is biased against Nintendo, just against that game( the best Excite was gonna get was 8/10 but if they don't like the art-style and the way of playing, a slightly below average shouldn't put anyone off who was interested in it.)

zoukka

Edge threads always bring out the fanboys. Great threads if you want to track them down and scribble the names on your "don't give a fuck about what these guys write" list.

Even worse are the people who find old scores and compare them to new ones. They never learn...

Bought Infamous just now. I wasn't keen on the demo, but the Edge review made it sound like a solid, oft-very enjoyable game in spite of its flaws. I look forward to playing it later. People see the scores, freak out and simply do not realise that that magazine uses a different scale to the vast majority, which are pretty overinflated. Upon bothering to read the text, a vast number of '7s' sound like very appealing titles indeed.

Dear God, this thread is a shambles.

I love how it was pointed out a while back how well-written a review was, and people still bitch and call the magazine "terrible" and "a joke" over NUMBERS. It's a bloody embarrassment.

gtj1092

Cerebral Assassin said:
Fans of EXCITE aren't claiming the magazine is biased against Nintendo, just against that game( the best Excite was gonna get was 8/10 but if they don't like the art-style and the way of playing, a slightly below average shouldn't put anyone off who was interested in it.)

Why does that bother people so much though? It their opinion that EDGE is bias. Just like its EDGE opinion that a game is good or bad. Both groups seem to be taking someone else's opinions to heart and guess what no one is going to change anyone else's mind. Both groups are equally annoying to me. But everyone has a right to express their view.

and now ive joined in the ring of fire by becoming a complainer about the complainers complaining about the edge is bias whiners :lol

Scooter said:

Are we prophets?

Sure, why not? You're mentally unbalanced enough to qualify, clearly. This fucking bias obsession is tiresome in the extreme. Anyone who thinks Edge has an anti-PS bias hasn't read the magazine for the last three years.

Also, you're claiming prophetic status because Edge gave your blessed game a lower score than the metacritic average? Edge score almost all games lower than metacritic, you halfwit.

gtj1092 said:
Why does that bother people so much though? It their opinion that EDGE is bias. Just like its EDGE opinion that a game is good or bad. Both groups seem to be taking someone else's opinions to heart and guess what no one is going to change anyone else's mind. Both groups are equally annoying to me. But everyone has a right to express their view.

and now ive joined in the ring of fire by becoming a complainer about the complainers complaining about the edge is bias whiners :lol

Probably because they like the game and don't quite understand why/ how someone could disagree with them, the only reason why these people are stupid is because they should wait and read the text(the most important part of the Edge review), Sony fanboys(not saying everyone who disagrees with the infamous score is a fanboy)who seem to think that Infamous got a "bad"(7 in Edge is a GOOD score btw) score are saying that has nothing to do with the game and more to do with the fact that it is an exclusive PS3 title(which is Paranoia of the highest order.... I mean Edge are only biased for UK developers :D )

Arnie

gtj1092 said:

Yes and it was my opinion that to discredit edge is embarrasing. It is blatantly clear from the content of their magazine that the professionals who construct it are just people who enjoy writing about videogames, not some anti Sony crackpots spewing out mediocre review scores. It is always difficult with EDGE threads because so much context is lost when all we get are review scores, despite EDGE embedding their verdict in the text itself.

kinggroin

Banned
Btw, enemy encounters in Oboro Muramasa aren't predetermined, they're random and based off your encounter rate (which can be affected by accessories or items).

It's why they sometimes ran through a screen or two without getting into attacks.

Of course, no one here will read this amidst the bullshit conspiracy theories :lol

levious

That throwing stick stunt of yours has boomeranged on us.
Gokurakumaru said:
I played a lot of Excite Truck about a year and a half ago when I got it and sold it off a few months ago after it sat on my shelf for an age, so don't try to discredit me for not being an expert on the game just because I haven't touched it in 18 months. It doesn't make my opinion any less valid.

you being mistaken about something that was the basis of your criticism of the game doesn't make your opinion any less valid? Well then there's no point discussing it further I guess.

DeadGzuz

Banned
I found this, but did not verify thenumbers.

Eurogamer:

7 PS3 titles rated 9 or higher
31 360 titles rated 9 or higher

IGN:

65 PS3 games rated 9 or higher (includes review scores from AU/UK/NA)
86 360 games rated 9 or higher (includes review scores from AU/UK/NA)

In other words:

Eurogamer has rated 360 games 9 or higher at a ratio of 4.4 to 1 against PS3 games
IGN has rated 360 games

IGN has rated 360 games 9 or higher at a ration of 1.32 to 1 against PS3 games. Eurogamer is 3xs more likely to give a 9 to 360 games than IGN compared to a PS3 game.

Eurogamer also more than doubles (over 2.5x) the ratio in favor of the 360 for 9+s compared to the worldwide rankings at gamerankings.com, which tallies all review scores.

http://www.psu.com/forums/showpost.php?p=4220055&postcount=143

loosus

Banned
I don't know if it's a 4 or not, but Excitebots definitely had some major issues:

--The bar swinging serves as nothing but a distraction and hurdle to the real race. You can be going ten thousand miles per hour having fun, only to have it come to a complete halt by a stupid bar.

--The rubberband AI, as in the original, is absolutely horrendous and makes me not even want to play it.

--There is definitely too much shit going on. It's sometimes hard to know where you're supposed to fucking go. Good luck getting any of your don't-play-games-much friends to play the game with you.

SupahBlah

Banned
Tranced Shadow said:
Dear God, this thread is a shambles.

I love how it was pointed out a while back how well-written a review was, and people still bitch and call the magazine "terrible" and "a joke" over NUMBERS. It's a bloody embarrassment.

WHY SO LOW?

drogbadisgrace.gif

GhaleonQ

kinggroin said:
Btw, enemy encounters in Oboro Muramasa aren't predetermined, they're random and based off your encounter rate (which can be affected by accessories or items).

It's why they sometimes ran through a screen or two without getting into attacks.

Of course, no one here will read this amidst the bullshit conspiracy theories :lol

*laughs* I let it go, too.

Stink

Interestingly, the difference between 9 and 10 degrees centigrade is larger than the difference between 9 and 10 degrees fahrenheit.

Just pretend British reviewers use metric or something.

Hitmeneer

DeadGzuz said:

I don't own a PS3 or Xbox360, but those things say nothing. You have to compare more sites to really make a point. You can go to both sides with this, is IGN biased or Eurogamer? And calling IGN, the whole world, is also a bit weird.

OT. Scores are not that weird. I mean, as far as I understood, InFamous has some really cool aspects, but there are some things that just mess it a bit up (framrate/boring missions/some design flaws).

And if you don't agree with the score, buy the game and play it.

SupahBlah

Banned
Also, I can't believe I read seven pages of PS3 fanboys whining over a number of a game they enjoy, looking for FIFA10 info.

bendtner.gif

Gravijah

Since this is now the thread of footie or something, if I'm big on franchise/dynasty/whatever the hell you want to call it, do I go PES or do I go FIFA?

Top Bottom