• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

EDGE #203 Review Scores (Infamous, Punch-Out & Ghostbusters)

lowrider007

Licorice-flavoured booze?
Gravijah said:
CHILL THE FUCK OUT DUDE!

Are you serious ?, I think your the one that needs to chill my friend, Edge threads are famously controversial and are practically always full of people debating the reviews scores, funny that really, considering it a review score thread.

Yagharek

Nicktals said:
So, we can't complain about incorrect reviews?

It's not like I'm not going to hold the owner of EDGE hostage over their ridiculous ExciteBots score...I'm going to voice how ridiculous and incorrect it is. Grounding in reality...jesus...you're on a video game forum, and in a thread about review scores on a video forum. What the fuck do you expect to hear?

Define 'incorrect'.

Nicktals

Banned
RandomVince said:
Define 'incorrect'.

They state something exists in the game which doesn't.

EDIT: I'm pretty sure that qualifies. And I've seen exactly one small exert from the review. It might be the only incorrect thing about the review. Or there might be many others.

Rez said:
in before the "oh no, my favourite exclusive only got a seven" followed by "an EDGE seven is a GOOD SCORE" followed by "EDGE and Eurogamer should just stick to the fucking Metacritic scale, FFS" followed by "EDGE and EG are the only ones doing it right, they're using the full scale" followed by "it's not like EG or EDGE are credible in any way. EDGE are biased toward English games, and Eurogamer don't even play the games before the review" followed by "its hardly fair to judge a publication over the actions of one writer" followed by "they don't use bylines, they are asking for it. they chose to publish it" followed by "b-b-b-but the Sims 3 scored higher and 50 Cent got a 7 too!" followed by "GO SUCK A FUCKING DICK"

Wait, ZENO CLASH got an eight!? I take everything back. Edge is declared credible, no one disagrees, thread prospers, sun shines, virgins are deflowered etc etc
You sir are a genius.

vazel

Banned
This thread goes to show why most review sites give the big games nothing but 8s and 9s. You can't make your readers go crying away and thus your ad revenue will shrink. Publishers don't want to pay for ads on sites that gave their games scores that are considered bad by crybaby gamers.

Gravijah

lowrider007 said:
Are you serious ?, I think your the one that needs to chill my friend, Edge threads are famously controversial and are practically always full of people debating the reviews scores, funny that really, considering it a review score thread.

You people are crazy! CRAZY I TELL YOU! Debating numbers! Children are dying, women weeping, and you sit here on this internet message board and type up long rants about numbers! We're talking about numbers here! What has our beautiful Earth come to?

Yagharek

vazel said:
This thread goes to show why most review sites give the big games nothing but 8s and 9s. You can't make your readers go crying away and thus your ad revenue will shrink.

Fuck it, they should just give out 10s for everything to stop the whining that follows in every single comment thread on website/print reviews ever.

SOMEONE LIKED DRIVER3 I GUESS WE SHOULD GIVE IT A 10/10 LEST THEY TELL US WE ARE INCORRECT

lowrider007

Gravijah said:
You people are crazy! CRAZY I TELL YOU! Debating numbers! Children are dying, women weeping, and you sit here on this internet message board and type up long rants about numbers! We're talking about numbers here! What has our beautiful Earth come to?

Men weep too, I weeped at this weeks review scores.

vazel

Banned
lowrider007 said:
Men weep too.
I'm still trying to decide wether obese men with cheetos encrusted fingers that are prone to emotional attachments to consumer products should be considered men or a type of creature.

Edit: They also come in a scrawny variant.

Nicktals

Banned
RandomVince said:
Fuck it, they should just give out 10s for everything to stop the whining that follows in every single comment thread on website/print reviews ever.

SOMEONE LIKED DRIVER3 I GUESS WE SHOULD GIVE IT A 10/10 LEST THEY TELL US WE ARE INCORRECT

I like how you didn't respond. I don't care what number they give it, if they can adequately defend their position. When they say "highly elastic rubber banding", and there is either none, or very VERY little rubber banding, that's something I'll take issue with. It's incorrect, and it affects sales. Also, if someone from EDGE is here, they might be inclined to find out the truth for themselves, as printing correct information should be highly important to the magazine.

BobsRevenge

I do not avoid women, GAF, but I do deny them my essence.
How did Zeno Clash get an 8? That game isn't even good.

I'm glad I only got it for $10. It really wouldn't have been worth much more to me.

ElyrionX

BatmanX said:
Ok now its clear. They've reserved the ink mark of 7 for the sony exclusives

God of war2 7
Killzone 2 7
Infamous 7
Motorstorm 2 7
Valkyrie chronicles 7

That sounds about right to me.

lowrider007

vazel said:
I'm still trying to decide wether obese men with cheetos encrusted fingers that are prone to emotional attachments to consumer products should be considered men or a type of creature.

I'm British mate, we don't do cheetos, we do lager, the 'nerd' stereotype is much less prevalent over here.

Gravijah said:
Numbers man. NUMBERS!!!

And this is a thread Based on numbers, so GTFO please, if you want to debate weeping woman and world hunger make a thread in off topic and I'll gladly join you, I don't mind talking about larger world issues but this isn't the place.

Yagharek

Nicktals said:
I like how you didn't respond. I don't care what number they give it, if they can adequately defend their position. When they say "highly elastic rubber banding", and there is either none, or very VERY little rubber banding, that's something I'll take issue with. It's incorrect, and it affects sales. Also, if someone from EDGE is here, they might be inclined to find out the truth for themselves, as printing correct information should be highly important to the magazine.

I respond if a point has merit. So you like the game, good for you. Does the fact that some reviewer rates it at "4/10" really impinge on your enjoyment?

Nicktals

Banned
RandomVince said:
I respond if a point has merit. So you like the game, good for you. Does the fact that some reviewer rates it at "4/10" really impinge on your enjoyment?

?

Did you read my posts? I don't care what the score is. I care about the text. For all I know the reviewer may have an insane fear of insects and clowns. Or may just hate racing games. Score numbers are an opinion. That can't be wrong. Score text can be wrong. In this case it is.

How does my point not have merit? They state something exists in the game that doesn't. That doesn't have merit?

I wish I could see the whole review. I've seen exactly 2 sentences, and there was an error.

Nicktals

Banned
RandomVince said:
So wait until you have seen it, then come back with a response to it.

But I'd be speaking about this error anyways. So why not do it now? They are NOT going to prove rubber banding exists in the rest of the text I haven't seen, as it isn't there. Which means, I can speak to this error without worrying about the rest of the article. If this were an opinion, then I would wait. It's not an opinion.

I'll address the rest of the review when I see it, but no reason not to talk about this error now.

They typically publish portions, or slimmed down versions of their print reviews online? Full reviews?

EDIT: Does anyone disagree? Does anyone who has played it agree that there is highly elastic rubber banding?

Yagharek

Usually they only do that for big games, or games they rate highly. You're going to have to have a flip through an issue in a newsagent if you want to read it.

(I assume you are boycotting purchases of the mag :D )

SickBoy

Before I go any further, I just want to say that I own Excitebots and I'm very happy with it. That said, it's the kind of game I can totally see getting a 4 from Edge.

Nicktals said:
But yeah, there's a factual error, just in that tiny snippet we got. There is NOT excessive rubber-banding. Simple as that. That's not an opinion. Hell, I'm not sure there's ANY.

Really? I don't think there's rubber-banding in the typical sense, but I do think there's sort of one-way rubber banding, I know I've had awful races where I've been surprisingly close to the pack (or able to beat the pack) despite huge, should-have-been catastrophic mistakes.

And indeed, read that passage and it's clearly more about being able to keep up than getting an artificial challenge from behind (the more common form of rubber-banding).

Chumly said:
Holy shit at the Excitebots score.....a 4 REALLY? Basically the equivalent to the IGN godhand review....28 points lower than the lowest review out there on metacritic and scores it 40 points lower than the average.

Well, it'd be the equivalent of the Godhand review if they scored on the typical 7-10 scale IGN uses.

Nicktals

Banned
SickBoy said:
Really? I don't think there's rubber-banding in the typical sense, but I do think there's sort of one-way rubber banding, I know I've had awful races where I've been surprisingly close to the pack (or able to beat the pack) despite huge, should-have-been catastrophic mistakes.

And indeed, read that passage and it's clearly more about being able to keep up than getting an artificial challenge from behind (the more common form of rubber-banding).

Really? Online, or in a single player cup? This could be due to a number of things, outside of rubber-banding. I might look into it, simply because now I'm curious...But to the best of my knowledge, the computer almost runs robot like. Doing the same thing, and getting the same times, if there is no human player interference.

Nicktals

Banned
RandomVince said:
So now it seems like they havent made an error after all?

Because one person said that he won a race eventhough he made a mistake?

EDIT: I've played over 100 hours of ExciteBots, and I've 100% completed the game. I'm done with it now, and will probably never play it again much. But if it were "elastic rubber banding", I think I'd have noticed.

pakkit said:
I give their review 3 Super Leg Smashes out of 5.

245x7dd.jpg

245x7dd.jpg

245x7dd.jpg

That is some creepy ass shit.

Maybe the bugs gave them nightmares and they got revenge with that review score.

Does the reviewer have a fear of insects?

jonnyp

VALIS said:
LittleBigPlanet - 10 (one of the only 10's they've ever given)
Ratchet & Clank: Quest for Booty - 8
Siren Blood Curse - 8
MGS4 - 8
Uncharted - 8
Ratchet & Clank Future - 8
Singstar - 8
Warhawk - 8
Super Stardust HD - 8
Ninja Gaiden Sigma - 8
Motorstorm - 8

...and I'm getting bored with this already. I think your paranoia has been thoroughly debunked.

Just proves to me even more that they're full of shit.

Haunted

Chumly said:
Holy shit at the Excitebots score.....a 4 REALLY? Basically the equivalent to the IGN godhand review....28 points lower than the lowest review out there on metacritic and scores it 40 points lower than the average.
Don't forget: an EDGE 4 would actually be a 6 at IGN and other sites who use the 7-10 scale.

Yagharek

Nicktals said:
Because one person said that he won a race eventhough he made a mistake?

EDIT: I've played over 100 hours of ExciteBots, and I've 100% completed the game. I'm done with it now, and will probably never play it again much. But if it were "elastic rubber banding", I think I'd have noticed.

If you've finished it 100% I would assume you were pretty competent at the game and didnt lose many races. It's possible you wouldnt have noticed.

What we have here is just another case of over-reacting in another Edge review thread.

Nicktals

Banned
Let me put it this way: I've done entire laps being an equal distance behind someone using the exact same bot. Same routes, same skill, same speed...no ground made up.

RandomVince said:
If you've finished it 100% I would assume you were pretty competent at the game and didnt lose many races. It's possible you wouldnt have noticed.

What we have here is just another case of over-reacting in another Edge review thread.

I wasn't good immediately. And I wasn't perfect. Like I said above. Look...They're wrong. There is not elastic rubber banding. I'm trying to stay open to the possibility that there might be a tiny, almost unnoticeable amount in the game. But they're making it sound like MK levels, and that's just absurd, and flat-out wrong. I may go ahead and do a couple races to test if there's ANY at all.

Chumly

Also can someone explain how Excite Truck gets a 6 at edge for being a below average game to Excitebots getting a 4 which is garbage by their standards.

luffeN

octopusman said:
A part of me really thought Damnation would be good, really..
have you had a chance to play it? it's really.. not good. the idea behind it is great, pop style jumping and 3rd person shooting, but the execution.. well, let's just say they missed the goal

McBradders

NeoGAF: my new HOME
Yes Boss! said:
Oh noes! Somebody doesn't like InFamous.

Didn't like Killzone 2 either. So ha!

I'm not seeing what all the jizzing about inFAMOUS is about either. Same with Killzone. You're not alone.

I came into this thread for the backlash over another Sony exclusive getting a mediocre score from Edge. I stayed for the backlash over Excitebots. Exitebots ffs. It's a concept that's completely unappealing to the mass market. It's a retail bomb. Why do any of you care what Edge thinks about it? The ship has sailed. Just enjoy the game.

I don't want to speak for Edge because I haven't read their review, but I personally skipped over Bots because I enjoyed Excite Truck until it became all about pulling tricks to get higher scores. When it was fast, exciting racing I was all over it. And then they stuffed it up by making you drive through trees and get jump combos and do all sorts of things which had nothing to do with coming first. Maybe Edge just wants to race? Certainly sounds like it.

Prine

Banned
Edge are the real Gs of the gaming world. Their hold on all of us is quite evident.

Just look at these 4 pages of tears.

McBradders

NeoGAF: my new HOME
Prine said:
Edge are the real Gs of the gaming world. Their hold on all of us is quite evident.

Just look at these 4 pages of tears.

De-fense! *clap clap* De-fense! *stomp stomp* De-fense!

Top Bottom