• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Edge 220 - Castlevania, Enslaved, Dead Rising 2 reviews and more

Haunted

Looks like they weren't really impressed with the Move games.

Enslaved and Castlevania outscoring Dead Rising is a surprise as well.

Wow @ Quantum Theory. I'm happy to hear that Castlevania is shaping up well.

Oh and of course EDGE does a subscriber cover the first issue after I let my sub expire since I can get it faster at newstands.

V_Arnold said:
Whao. I guess EDGE did not approach Enslaved as something that aims to take the throne away from hack and slash games. They should have known better. They should have read GAF :(
Ninja Theory can only hope they approach their next game with precisely the same attitude.

Ricker

So much for Hydrophobia being the next Shadow Complex :(

What did they say was so bad about it? too hard? not worth 15? etc?

Holy crap, an 8 for Enslaved :lol

There really is no defence for this one. Having played the demo I can safely say that this is utter bogus, it is an absolute pile of shit of the highest order with the worst controls of any action game in existence. Giving it an 8 is an insult to the intelligence of their readers.

But then again it is a British made game so Edge are happy to lie to their readers to support their friends at Ninja Theory.

Novella

Banned
Haunted said:
Looks like they weren't really impressed with the Move games.

Enslaved and Castlevania outscoring Dead Rising is a surprise as well.
Is it really? I didn't expect Enslaved to be good, but I didn't really expect that much out of DR2 either.

Nuclear Muffin said:

There really is no defence for this one. Having played the demo I can safely say that this is utter bogus, it is an absolute pile of shit of the highest order with the worst controls of any action game in existence. Giving it an 8 is an insult to the intelligence of their readers.

But then again it is a British made game so Edge are happy to lie to their readers to support their friends at Ninja Theory.
You're being silly.

Haunted

Hydrophobia review is sensible and expected. It really is little more than a tech showcase for their water engine (which does get praised in the text). It might be strange to say but in that sense... it's a success.

Nuclear Muffin said:

Put your lips over it and blow.

Nuclear Muffin said:

:lol

Prine

Banned
Nuclear Muffin said:

Woooo keep em coming :lol :lol

Edit: Edge defense is, they played the full game.

Nice to see that Edge also saw something good in Enslaved...not sure what GAF was crying about.

They are probably spot on with Quantum Theory...easily the worst game I've played this generation.

Surprised by the Hydrophobia score...thought that'd be a nice XBLA pickup from the vids...

Wallach

Nuclear Muffin said:

MTeJe.gif

MadmanUK

Hydrophobia - They basically say it's buggy, combat is tiresome and unresponsive, maps are multi-tiered chores.

Enslaved (final paragraph) - It's worth the trip, though, because for most part Enslaved takes the cinematic flair and production values Ninja Theory showcased in HS and applies them to an experience no more inventive but certainly better executed and paced.
But Enslaved's greatest achievement is standing out in the crowded field of me-too, colour sapped videogame apocalypses, serving as a vibrant oasis in the otherwise murky brown wastes.

Castlevania - 15-20 hour playthrough. The 3D spin is a greater success than anyone could've reasonably expected.
It's a vehicle that will win over more action fans than true-bloods.

Oxx

Cosmonaut X said:
I thought the cover was for Bloodstone?

I think the regular one is. Subscribers get the gold.

Boo @ the Fallout NV ad. Cardboard inserts are the annoying musical pop-up ads of the print world.

Haunted

Enslaved (final paragraph) - It's worth the trip, though, because for most part Enslaved takes the cinematic flair and production values Ninja Theory showcased in HS and applies them to an experience no more inventive but certainly better executed and paced.
But Enslaved's greatest achievement is standing out in the crowded field of me-too, colour sapped videogame apocalypses, serving as a vibrant oasis in the otherwise murky brown wastes.
blue sky in games!

Castlevania - 15-20 hour playthrough. The 3D spin is a greater success than anyone could've reasonably expected.
It's a vehicle that will win over more action fans than true-bloods.
noooo! I don't want another "good action game" (just finished Bayonetta and have GoW III yet to play), I wanted a great 3D Castlevania. Is no one capable to deliver one? :(

Hixx

Nuclear Muffin said:

Poor trolling.

...right? Please say you're trolling.

Naeblish

MadmanUK said:
:lol

Novella

Banned
MadmanUK said:
The game's greatest achievement is color. And it's not inventive. What?

I have a crayon box for Edge to review.

oh wow. that's harsh :lol

Empty

Interested in reading the Enslaved and Castlevania reviews. They are both in my cautiously optimistic pile, and i want to hear specifics about them, especially given that i wasn't hugely impressed by the Enslaved demo.

Prine said:
Woooo keep em coming :lol :lol

Edit: Edge defense is, they played the full game.

Oh come on. How often is the full game completely different from a demo? Crap mechanics in a demo won't be any different in the real thing.

Mafro said:
Famitsu loves Japanese developers

GamePro/Game Informer loves US developers.

Come to think of it, has ANY Japanese developed games had a cover story in Game Informer in the last 10 years?
Thanks Gamestop merger! USA! USA!

MadmanUK

Novella said:
The game's greatest achievement is color. And it's not inventive. What?

I have a crayon box for Edge to review.

Yes us Brits discovered colour, get over it. Americans can't even spell it properly. :D

Just playing.

Novella

Banned
V_Arnold said:
Selective reading? Missing the point?
I cant even decide.
The point is that they made no good points, chief.

"Well, this game's not inventive or like interesting in any way, but you know, it's got some cool colors! And flair! It's got flair in spades!"

Haunted

Fallout-NL said:
Oh come on. How often is the full game completely different from a demo? Crap mechanics in a demo won't be any different in the real thing.
That's true.

The comment is probably aimed at the "I can hold up and press X to beat the game, also the combat was way too limited" complaints. There's obviously more varied environments in the full game, as well as upgrade paths for your weapons, new moves etc.

That's not to say that the detractors don't have any valid points, but judging the full experience by the opening introduction level might not be the best of ideas.

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
I think enslave will be a fun, short, rollercoastery ride you play once and move on. Will buy when the price is namco'd.

Empty

Novella said:

"Well, this game's not inventive or like interesting in any way, but you know, it's got some cool colors! And flair! It's got flair in spades!"

Have you read the actual review or are you just using the summary.

Even in the summary the reviewer praises the cinematic flair, the production values, the pacing, the execution of the different ideas and the visual design, then says that makes it an excellent game even if it isn't inventive or interesting enough to be a brilliant one. I don't see how this is a great unbalance of positive to negative criticism, it seems a reasonable conclusion to me and its just one paragraph.

MadmanUK said:
Sub cover is Goldeneye, retail will be Blood/Joss Stone.

As for Wii Party it seems to be very much like Mario Party, the 80 games are very mixed.

Ah, right.

I expected that for WP - Edge always seem particularly hard on that type of game, whereas other publications take a slightly more relaxed view.

Haunted

Y2Kev said:
I think enslave will be a fun, short, rollercoastery ride you play once and move on. Will buy when the price is namco'd.
You basically copied my posts from the demo thread.

Haunted said:
Honestly, this is shaping up to be a fun linear action romp, with decent combat and exciting setpieces.

Haunted said:
Still wish it would perform better technically, but whatever, fucking pos consoles. Will get this from the bomba bin a couple weeks after launch.

Haunted said:
That's true.

The comment is probably aimed at the "I can hold up and press X to beat the game, also the combat was way too limited" complaints. There's obviously more varied environments in the full game, as well as upgrade paths for your weapons, new moves etc.

That's not to say that the detractors don't have any valid points, but judging the full experience by the opening introduction level might not be the best of ideas.

Which games with bad basic combat mechanics, got any better after getting weapon upgrades and new moves? just asking, because I can't recall any.

Massa

Relaxed Muscle said:
Which games with bad basic combat mechanics, got any better after getting weapon upgrades and new moves? just asking, because I can't recall any.

Maybe if you actually played the games before judging them you might think of one or two.

V_Arnold

Novella said:

Well, chief, you might aswell READ (or l2r, to put it into a more fashionable way), because

"It's worth the trip, though, because for most part Enslaved takes the cinematic flair and production values Ninja Theory showcased in HS and applies them to an experience no more inventive but certainly better executed and paced.
But Enslaved's greatest achievement is standing out in the crowded field of me-too, colour sapped videogame apocalypses, serving as a vibrant oasis in the otherwise murky brown wastes."

"no more inventive but certainly better executed and paced."

Somehow just translated to your mind as:

Novella said:
Well, this game's not inventive or like interesting in any way

I do not even know where you got the not interesting part, but let us leave that to our imagination. If X is "inventinve enough", and Y is "no more inventive than X", that does not mean "Y is not inventive" .

So you made up your two points (not inventive, not interesting), from which none of it is true - and that is all based on EDGE's review's last paragraph. Interesting, eh?

subversus

I've done nothing with my life except eat and fap
Y2Kev said:

this.

But day 1 for me because of Alex Garland.

Massa said:
Maybe if you actually played the games before judging them you might think of one or two.

Why don't you iluminate me, oh you great wise man!

Tell me those one or two, so I can hide myself in embarassment!!

Haunted

Relaxed Muscle said:
None, I already agreed with you on that point. Bad mechanics stay bad. Limited combat options expand over the course of the game. That's all I said.

That you think Enslaved is the former, and I think Enslaved is the latter is the point of contention here. :p I thought the combat in the demo was ok. It's not Bayonetta, but it's not Dynasty Warriors either.

Top Bottom