• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Edge 220 - Castlevania, Enslaved, Dead Rising 2 reviews and more

subversus

I've done nothing with my life except eat and fap
Haunted said:
That you think Enslaved is the former, and I think Enslaved is the latter is the point of contention here. :p I thought the combat in the demo was ok. It's not Bayonetta, but it's not Dynasty Warriors either.

What is funny is that they've already said that combat will make like 30% of the game. But noooooo, it should play like the greatest slasher of all times since these guys are making DMC reboot.

subversus said:
What is funny is that they've already said that combat will make like 30% of the game. But noooooo, it should play like the greatest slasher of all times since this guys making DMC reboot.

I wasn't expecting a great slasher, but if your game is 30% fighting at least make it fun, and IMO Enslaved combat is not fun.

Fuzz Rez

Banned
Surprised Enslaved scored so high. It's not a bad game but it does get really repeative fast and there is little to non challenge :( Also it really doesn't offer anything new for the genre (then again what games does ?) Oh, and the PS3 version really sucks, framerate jumps up and down throughout the whole game and the textures look very poor ever so often.

Haunted

Wallach said:
Whatever man. Fallout was brown before brown was cool.
Definitely.

But man, the Oasis in Fallout 3 looked fucking embarrassing. :lol

subversus said:
What is funny is that they've already said that combat will make like 30% of the game. But noooooo, it should play like the greatest slasher of all times since these guys are making DMC reboot.
I will say this, since DmC is 100% defined by its combat, they better make that part the fucking bomb. Decent might cut it for Enslaved, but not for DmC.

Ninja Theory is only one team, right? So it's the same guys working on it. uh oh

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
Haunted said:
Definitely.

But man, the Oasis in Fallout 3 looked fucking embarrassing. :lol

Fallout 3 as a whole looked fucking embarrassing. Clearly this does not affect sales in the slightest.

Wallach

HK-47 said:
Fallout 3 as a whole looked fucking embarrassing. Clearly this does not affect sales in the slightest.

I've never felt that engine looks as bad as people claim. There are some fucking sweet looking areas in Fallout 3.

Haunted

HK-47 said:
I think the wasteland and city remnants looked fine in their devastation. The character models however...

edit: *high fives Wallach*

Kiriku

SWEDISH PERFECTION
sublimit said:
Edge loves UK developers.No surprises here.
I expect DMC to get a 10 when the time comes.

Enslaved got 9/10 in the Swedish mag LEVEL earlier. So I'd say there may be reason to believe the 8/10 is more than just Edge making love to a UK developer. :)

Y2Kev said:
I think enslave will be a fun, short, rollercoastery ride you play once and move on.

Based on what I've heard and play of Enslaved, I would be willing to rename it Unslaved. Because it reminds me of the Uncharted games, but with a staff instead of guns. :p

Nuclear Muffin said:
Holy crap, an 8 for Enslaved :lol

There really is no defence for this one. Having played the demo I can safely say that this is utter bogus, it is an absolute pile of shit of the highest order with the worst controls of any action game in existence. Giving it an 8 is an insult to the intelligence of their readers.

But then again it is a British made game so Edge are happy to lie to their readers to support their friends at Ninja Theory.

As far as I remember Enslaved got 9 out of 10 in Level (Sweden, Denmark or something) and 90% in PS3M (Germany). The reviews are going to surprise some people. It seems Ninja Theory delivered.

(I liked the demo.)

Haunted

I like how Goldeneye Wii is the cover story but will end up getting a 5 at most when it's reviewed.

Fortinbras said:
As far as I remember Enslaved got 9 out of 10 in Level (Sweden, Denmark or something) and 90% in PS3M (Germany). The reviews are going to surprise some people. It seems Ninja Theory delivered.

(I liked the demo.)
So basically, Europeans are liking it.

zoukka

Kiriku said:
Based on what I've heard and play of Enslaved, I would be willing to rename it Unslaved. Because it reminds me of the Uncharted games, but with a staff instead of guns. :p

Hey it's gotta be ten times better :b

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
Kiriku said:
Enslaved got 9/10 in the Swedish mag LEVEL earlier. So I'd say there may be reason to believe the 8/10 is more than just Edge making love to a UK developer. :)

Call it unstaffed. Which is what they will be if DmC bombs heyooooo

VideoMan

30% Failure Rate
MadmanUK said:
Castlevania - 15-20 hour playthrough. The 3D spin is a greater success than anyone could've reasonably expected.
It's a vehicle that will win over more action fans than true-bloods.
As a Castlevania fan I find this dissapointing. Looks like it's another Other M. That is to say, it's a good game but not a good Castlevania game. Just like Other M is a good game but not a good Metroid game.

Two of my favorite franchises getting neutered in the name of mass appeal. Ugh.

I'm still buying it day one though. I had a lot of fun playing through Other M (played through it three times back to back) so it's not like I didn't enjoy it. I'm sure Castlevania will be a similar experience.

Axiom

The Monkey Magic fanboy in me already had Enslaved pre-ordered due to the outfit and the promising concept, but it's nice to know the game lived up to it.

ElFly

subversus said:

But the platforming (which I am going to assume is another 30% of the game, based on the demo) is also pretty terrible. And there's no saying "but maybe the platforming becomes better afterwards".

So that's leaves a 40% of ??? to make up for the rest of the terrible game.

e: Dinasty Warriors' combat would be an improvement over this.

VideoMan said:
As a Castlevania fan I find this dissapointing. Looks like it's another Other M. That is to say, it's a good game but not a good Castlevania game. Just like Other M is a good game but not a good Metroid game.

I'm still buying it day one though. I had a lot of fun playing through Other M (played through it three times back to back) so it's not like I didn't enjoy it. I'm sure Castlevania will be a similar experience.

I just hope Konami brings IGA and co (Yamane!) back for the next Castlevania. I don't know about another console one, maybe finally a new handheld one. Something's been missing from my life with no IGAvanias every 2 or 3 years. :(

Like you said, Lords of Shadow looks like a great game and I will buy it day one and complete it, but I can already see it won't have that "Castlevania" charm.

jetsetfluken said:
I just hope Konami brings IGA and co (Yamane!) back for the next Castlevania. I don't know about another console one, maybe finally a new handheld one. Something's been missing from my life with no IGAvanias every 2 or 3 years. :(

Like you said, Lords of Shadow looks like a great game and I will buy it day one and complete it, but I can already see it won't have that "Castlevania" charm.

The bits of the soundtracks released so far doesn't really make me disappointed by the absence of Michiru Yamane...

And careful, maybe you're missing "Iga's charm", rather than the castlevania essence...

We'll find out soon enough. The demo is freakin' awesome by the way.

P.D: Pot Roast as a recovery item must make an appearance in this game!!!

Young Nobleman Of Sadness said:
The bits of the soundtracks released so far doesn't really make me disappointed by the absence of Michiru Yamane...

And careful, maybe you're missing "Iga's charm", rather than the castlevania essence...

We'll find out soon enough. The demo is freakin' awesome by the way.

P.D: Pot Roast as a recovery item must make an appearance in this game!!!

It's a welcome diversion from the recipe we've been seeing since the GBA, but of course even the complainers are starting to realize "something" has been missing the last few years.
I'm really excited to play LoS though, and the soundtrack/composer seems to be spot-on with the atmosphere and such. Just hope it isn't too overly "God of War", though I am a fan of that series, not what I look for in Castlevania. Again, a welcome diversion (because it is an obvious quality game, may IMO be near AAA when I'm done with it) but let's not keep it outsourced to the West for too long, Konami.

izakq

Soooo out of the loop. This is the first time I've ever heard of Enslaved. Going to check it out.

Can't wait for DR2 and Castlevania.

I could post my negative thoughts on Enslaved from the demo...

But I loved loved loved Monkey Hero on the PS1. I know what its like fellow gaffers to love a game that gives you no love back, the videogame equivilant of an abusive relationship

Why do I keep coming back :(

Dever

Banned
subversus said:

It's not like the platforming is any better.

I didn't enjoy the demo, so I'm surprised at it getting 8/10. Definitely interested in Castlevania, however.

Pydte

Have to agree on the Hydrophobia score, unfortunately. The narrative and its characters are uninspiring, the combat clumsy and unresponsive, with one dominant strategy for almost every fight (being the starting weapon), and the riddles repetitive as hell. The level design is repetitive and the platforming a complete disaster due to the fact, that certain inputs, such as jumping, sometimes suffer a delay, like half a second.

The only part where I actually enjoyed myself was in the combat arena, which is unlocked when the game is finished. Here the protagonist, Kate, is equipped with a kinetic glove that lets her manipulate the water. Strange why this mechanic was excluded from the main game.

Despera said:
um... That's not what I meant.

To simplify the question "An 8 from Edge is like how much from IGN, Gamespot, 1UP ...etc?"
Oh, that's easy:

If it's a game you want to like, an Edge 8 is like a 10 from anywhere else.

If it's a game you want to dislike and it's from anywhere on the European continent, an Edge 8 is like a 5 from anywhere else.

If it's a game you want to dislike and it's not from Europe, then an Edge 8 is like an 8 from anywhere else, with the important proviso that all game reviews are shit anyway so why listen to any of them.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
VideoMan said:

It's not surprising, though, is it? I mean, the game was developed by people who have had no connection to anything Castlevania and were tasked with making something different.

subversus

I've done nothing with my life except eat and fap
Dever said:
It's not like the platforming is any better.

I didn't enjoy the demo, so I'm surprised at it getting 8/10. Definitely interested in Castlevania, however.

it's not like they said that the rest of it is platforming

Archie

Second-rate Anihawk
Firaxis :bow

Also, I liked the Enslaved demo. It wouldn't pay $60 for it, but I'd buy it for cheap in six months.

Novella

Banned
It's funny how every Edge thread is just a bunch of people waiting around to see who is going to break poker-face and get annoyed enough to write a seriously angry post. It's like a game of endurance.

Hyphen

Despera said:
Castlevania - 8

So an 8 from Edge is equal to what in terms of other review scores?

And :lol @ Quantum Theory - 3

(I didn't like the Enslaved demo. Any 3rd person action game that isn't as responsive or as fluid as Uncharted or God of War is asking for trouble in my book).

Splinter Cell: Conviction got an 8, so did God Of War 3. So if Edge reckons Castlevania: LoS is as good as those, then I'm happy. For games below this level, EDGE gave Nier, Dark Void, and Dante's Inferno all 6s.

By the way, this is Edge's actual review policy...

0 - Nothing.
1 - Disastrous.
2 - Appalling.
3 - Severely floored.
4 - Disappointing.
5 - Average.
6 - Competent.
7 - Distinguished.
8 - Excellent.
9 - Astounding.
10 - Revolutionary.

Despera

Banned
Segata Sanshiro said:
If it's a game you want to like, an Edge 8 is like a 10 from anywhere else.

If it's a game you want to dislike and it's from anywhere on the European continent, an Edge 8 is like a 5 from anywhere else.

If it's a game you want to dislike and it's not from Europe, then an Edge 8 is like an 8 from anywhere else, with the important proviso that all game reviews are shit anyway so why listen to any of them.

I don't care about review scores myself. But when a good game gets bad reviews and I know it deserves better, it pisses me off that some people will pass up the game as a result.

But the way you broke it down... Nice!

Hyphen said:

0 - Nothing.
1 - Disastrous.
2 - Appalling.
3 - Severely floored.
4 - Disappointing.
5 - Average.
6 - Competent.
7 - Distinguished.
8 - Excellent.
9 - Astounding.
10 - Revolutionary.
No, actually, each number represents itself. The revolutionary has been retired given that it is unfair to expect games to reach the high bars set by Mario 64, Zelda, Half Life 2 when the 3D revolution is actually over. If you look in the issue it states before reviews
1 = one
2 = two...
10 = ten

Novella

Banned
Hyphen said:

0 - Nothing.
1 - Disastrous.
2 - Appalling.
3 - Severely floored.
4 - Disappointing.
5 - Average.
6 - Competent.
7 - Distinguished.
8 - Excellent.
9 - Astounding.
10 - Revolutionary.
Is this your interpretation of their review policy?

I feel as though Edge is smarter than saying 10 is reserved for "revolutionary" games because so many games that deserve that score are not actually revolutionary; they're just great.

Top Bottom