• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

EDGE #231 - Scores

Corto

F3ar a 7?! After Ken Levine saying that it was a really competent shooter on GWJ podcast this score was the thing that I needed to bring this game to my radar... Now to wait for the respective sale.

~Kinggi~

Banned
Corto said:
F3ar a 7?! After Ken Levine saying that it was a really competent shooter on GWJ podcast this score was the thing that I needed to bring this game to my radar... Now to wait for the respective sale.
What do you want? A scary game that follows fear tradition?

Or do you want a competent shooter that isnt very long, not very interesting, and basically requires you play multiplayer to feel youve gotten any value from it? Cause thats all it is. It is a horrible fear game. Game should get a 2/10 out of principal.

Gravijah

~Kinggi~ said:

Or do you want a competent shooter that isnt very long, not very interesting, and basically requires you play multiplayer to feel youve gotten any value from it? Cause thats all it is. It is a horrible fear game. Game should get a 2/10 out of principal.

Does it have good gunplay? The first FEAR wasn't a great game because it was "scary" (because it wasn't scary at all), it was great because it was fun and satisfying to shoot people. Maybe I should get around to playing FEAR 2.

~Kinggi~

Banned
Gravijah said:
Does it have good gunplay? The first FEAR wasn't a great game because it was "scary" (because it wasn't scary at all), it was great because it was fun and satisfying to shoot people. Maybe I should get around to playing FEAR 2.
The gunplay is only decent in the respect that shooting guns feels decent. Enemy AI is terrible and does not make for engaging gameplay.

You can literally use a riot shield to go around smacking people and beating levels on the hardest difficulty without dieing.

Corto

~Kinggi~ said:

Negative Nancy!
thanks for your candid opinion. I really appreciated it

I've been a subscriber for about 8 years and I really like the new look. Really love the new review section. Layout will take some time getting used to I guess.

Feindflug

Gravijah said:

Well if satisfying & fun shooting is what you want from the game then I highly recommend it - F.E.A.R. 3 is one of those games that are not amazing but they still manage to keep you hooked into it by playing more and more.

The graphics of the game are decent with some impressive moments in the last levels with a frame-rate (at least on 360) that never dips below 30fps even in split-screen co-op, the AI is pretty good and better than your average enemy AI (if even exists such a thing these days) and most importantly enemies are fun to play against, the level system is addicting and a pretty cool way to keep you playing, you can play the campaign with two different characters that each of them has it's own style, co-op is freakin' fun and it has some really interesting multiplayer modes such as F*cking Run.

It may not be F.E.A.R. 1 levels of awesomeness but its much better than that turd that was the second game and definitely worth a look if you want a good and fun FPS game.

Speedymanic said:
review snippet said:
The most horrific thing about FEAR 3 is what a series purist might say about it. The closest it has to a bogeyman is the all-corrupting Call Of Duty, with its power to inflict dual weapon slots and recharging health on all in its wake. The only real terror it knows is its own – the hell of the console preowned shelf, upon which dwell the story-based shooters with wide fields of view, modest gun models and action that feels like its own reward. The games that aren’t, to use an industry buzzword, ‘sticky’.

Don’t be deceived, then, into thinking this is the third part of a trilogy. It’s the tenuous ‘threequel’, where a new and cheaper director talks the first movie’s cast into an easy pay cheque. Roles are resurrected, plot strands exhumed, fans betrayed.
Their Fear 3 review is spot on perfection, although the score seems a little high given the text.

~Kinggi~ said:
5/10 as a legitimate answer.
Yep. If we're using the full scale.

Dash Kappei said:
I love Edge.
I HATE Edge's new look. Paper is incredible but the new layout is terrible :(
Going back to the old issues, some areas have definitely improved. But overall it's a step back.
Also the cover is the worst in a long time.

ScOULaris

I'm personally a fan of Edge's new design. I think it's clean, classy, and more consistent than it was before. And who can argue with that paper stock? Best in the business.

SCHUEY F1

Unconfirmed Member
ScOULaris said:
I'm personally a fan of Edge's new design. I think it's clean, classy, and more consistent than it was before. And who can argue with that paper stock? Best in the business.

I'm with you. Also I have no problem with the Batman cover.
I got this issue yesterday and it was probably the fastest I have ever received and issue of EDGE (I live in a smallish town in Canada as well).

Unsurprising scores, Catherine score is fair in my opinion, been looking forward to the ps3 release of from dust for ages now.

They should have had that Joker picture as the front cover, would have been much better.

RealMeat

Banned
Nice to see that score for From Dust. Makes me feel better about pre-ordering the PC version. I'm probably going to have to get Bastion, too.

SCHUEY F1

Unconfirmed Member
kyo_daikun said:
Unsurprising scores, Catherine score is fair in my opinion, been looking forward to the ps3 release of from dust for ages now.

They should have had that Joker picture as the front cover, would have been much better.

I enjoyed Catherine a lot, but I would agree with a 7, which is still a good score.

Dash Kappei said:
I love Edge.
I HATE Edge's new look. Paper is incredible but the new layout is terrible :(
i agree with this. long time supporter and buyer of Edge...but i HATE the new layout. after each review there is the post review cap etc and its terrible now. its confusing and it really isnt as neat or succinct as it was before.

i dont even like the new material/covers/pages either. ill still buy it but i dont know why they changed it.

SCHUEY F1

Unconfirmed Member
Phat Michael said:
i agree with this. long time supporter and buyer of Edge...but i HATE the new layout. after each review there is the post review cap etc and its terrible now. its confusing and it really isnt as neat or succinct as it was before.

i dont even like the new material/covers/pages either. ill still buy it but i dont know why they changed it.

Really, how could you not? Also I really like the post-script addition to the reviews, why would you be against more commentary on the game?

Edit: The content at the start of the mag is not that different and I love some of the full page images that have of the games in Hype. Making Of..is still there and instead of Time Extend we get People, Places, Things, which is cool.

Top Bottom