• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

EDGE #266 cover: Can MS turn things around for XONE?

Chobel

Well yeah, because then what will determine which console I get will boil down to the games only.

If the X1 has some exclusives I really want but still has gimped multiplats I will end up getting the PS4.

This gen I was very tainted by inferior PS3 ports and b4 anyone says PC master race, it aint an option for me,I'am a console gamer.

LOL at "gimped multipats" on Xbone! It's like devs intentionally did that.

These "gimped" multipats are mainly because Xbone is less powerful that PS4. Nothing wrong with choosing Xbone as your only console, but you should expect that many multipats will look and/or perform better in PS4.

Melchiah

EDGEcov159.jpg

2006-2007

Link.

You forgot the one from April 2007, with the big PS3 comeback cover story:

edgecov174_0nbuup.jpg

Help! goes Xbox One?

I have those two issues. The LBP one concentrated more on the game and Media Molecule, than the PS3. Here's a couple of pics from both issues.

The Vs. the World issue:
CCjonYO.jpg

The LBP issue:
kxS5Umb.jpg

Don't judge a magazine based on its cover.

jamiept

Banned
The LBP issue:
kxS5Umb.jpg

Just read the blurb about Jack Tretton in this article. I can see now why he tossed the mic. Coming out of E3 and PS4 having that positive vibe going on, must've been like a heavy burden finally being lifting off his shoulders.

His bad quotes. The negative angle towards the PS3 platform in general. The new boy 360 being the face of the new generation of console gaming.That stuff just had to weigh him down - any Sony exec for that matter - you would think. I enjoy seeing the PS4 succeed early, the way that PS3 didn't. It is the result of paying your dues and learning from your previous stuff ups.

I believe it is necessary - and good - for these companies to be held to the grindstone. In some way, it is very fortunate for MS that they are taking their hits now and early, and, that they are trying to DO something to switch it up whilst their new console is still young.

The EDGE cover is still blatantly "tabloid". But like Sony, MS just have to endure the hits, take them like a man, and step up to the challenge.

I'm not judging it based on the cover, I have all those issues, and from what I can remember, the LBP issue's cover story was quite optimistic, despite of PS3's problems at the time. In fact, all of those PS3 cover stories were rather optimistic, and the articles in the "your next console" issue weren't as down on Xbox One as the cover was suggesting either (back in that thread I claimed the cover was most likely a sad case of stirring controversy just to get everyone's attention, and it turned out I was right). Perhaps (probably) this one is no different - Edge is not biased, their quality and marketing practices have just eroded over time. That's not based on a few covers either, sadly, but my personal experience with the magazine. The last redesign was the point at which I stopped being a regular reader, and not because of the format change.

8bit

Knows the Score
Scores just in case anyone is interested...

Titanfall : 8
Infamous Second Son : 7
Metal Gear Solid - Ground Zeroes : 9
Yaiba - Ninja Gaiden Z : 2
South Park : 8
PvZ Garden Warfare : 5
Banished : 7
Towerfall Ascension : 8

Huggers

Ouch.

That's generous for Second Son from them though

Chobel

What's their reason for giving MGS:GZ 9/10? Seems a bit high.

8bit

Knows the Score
What's their reason for giving MGS:GZ 9/10? Seems a bit high.

Apologies for paraphrasing as I'm reading this on a remote desktop from work but the gist is that it's the best demo ever, the AI is crafty instead of stupid and even though it's expensive it's got loads of content and value.

I'm assuming the full game will get an 11.

Didn't want to split the discussion into two threads but here's the usual contents post. Thanks to 8bit for filling in the remaining reviews. My issue hasn't arrived but I'll fill in the rest as I find it.

Features
Can Microsoft Turn Xbox One Around?
An Audience With...Ken Lobb
Legendary
L'equipe Editorial (Ubisoft Paris Editors)
The Making of...Super Mario 3D World
Studio Profile Creative Assembly
Time Extend Call of Duty 4 Modern Warfare

Previews
Below
Yakuza: Ishin
Murdered: Soul Suspect
Next Car Game
Totem
Chaos Reborn
Assassin's Creed Unity
Firewatch
The Forest
Gauntlet
Aztez

Reviews
Titanfall [8]
Infamous: Second Son [7]
Metal Gear Solid V: Ground Zeroes [9]
TowerFall: Ascension [8]
Banished [7]
Yaiba: Ninja Gaiden Z [2]
South Park: The Stick of Truth [8]
Plants vs. Zombies Garden Warfare [5]

#267 on sale May 8th. Next month Sunset Overdrive.

subscriber info

Sinoox

Banned
Ridiculous, the only thing Microsoft failed at this generation was setting themselves up to be more competitive with Sony. I think they should be focusing on the company that really does need help, Nintendo.

[edit] I posted charts from a banned site, I erased them.
They showed that, in 2014, 2.3 millions of PS4 have been sold versus 1.0 million for the XOne. : )

And the PS4 is still out of stock in many countries. So yes, HELP for MS.

Aaron

Ridiculous, the only thing Microsoft failed at this generation was setting themselves up to be more competitive with Sony. I think they should be focusing on the company that really does need help, Nintendo.
Their last E3 was very strongly anti-consumer, especially for their core audience. That said, I'm pretty amazed how much Microsoft has turned that around. I'd say their ever last decision since has been a right one. Kinnect is still an issue for some, but feels pretty minor now in the grand scheme of things.

Sinoox

Banned
Their last E3 was very strongly anti-consumer, especially for their core audience. That said, I'm pretty amazed how much Microsoft has turned that around. I'd say their ever last decision since has been a right one. Kinnect is still an issue for some, but feels pretty minor now in the grand scheme of things.

Yeah, but they really are still experiencing blow back from that E3, but that's the short term. The Xbox has the horse power to stay relevant with the PS4, it's just their price point is what's going to keep people looking away if they choose not to do anything with it.

Game Guru

Agreed. It surprises me how people STILL think there's some kind of insane brand loyalty for Xbox in the US.

To be fair, the US appears to be the only country actually buying enough XB1s for sales to reach a competitive level with the sales of the PS4 in that country. I guess that could be called insane brand loyalty, only that it isn't as insane as others might've imagine it.

RayMaker

Banned
LOL at "gimped multipats" on Xbone! It's like devs intentionally did that.

These "gimped" multipats are mainly because Xbone is less powerful that PS4. Nothing wrong with choosing Xbone as your only console, but you should expect that many multipats will look and/or perform better in PS4.

My bad, edited it, I didnt mean to insinuate that. As for upcoming multiplats I think watchdogs is the only one where the PS4 will have an advantage, If that trend continues and MS deliver at E3 an X1 I will get,if sony deliver I will get a PS4, and even if both deliver i'am sure one platform will have games that appeal to me more.

I'am sure E3 will be the deciding factor for a lot of people.

HORRORSHØW

8bit
Knows the Score

Eppy Thatcher

God's had his chance.
Even if you could completely disagree with the sentiment you would have to admit that that is a pretty nice cover. I lol'd.

E3 should be interesting this year for sure. I have this dark cloud of a feeling that Sony over does it on indies and disappoints. Really hoping I'm wrong and all 3 come out swinging heavy.

Columnists are now Steven Poole, Ian Bogost, Nathan Brown and James Leach. They've also had a bit of a jumble around with the format. Seems to have dialed back some of the changes I was not keen on. Maybe they listened to feedback!

TechnicPuppet

Nothing! I said nothing!

Their last E3 was games games games.

Wiktor

What would be the point? Nothing and nobody can help Wii U.

Top Bottom