• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Edge #276 - Uncharted 4: A Thief's End

The only real valid criticism they give is regarding the AI though. Even then, what we've seen already makes it seem exaggerated at that. Everything else they said either doesn't make sense or was nitpicky honestly.

It's EDGE, they are the definition of nit-picky and while I hate to admit it, they are often right...

I still don't rate their publication much any more. It's been going downhill for some time, but then I haven't really read it properly for a while, so maybe they pulled it back from the brink...

And companies tend to pick and choose what to be inspired by. The pickup animations complaints make no sense. Developers speed up those animation because if you're in the heat of battle you don't want the player being put at a disadvantage because of long and unnecessary animations.

It's like they've never seen poor Bill telling his tale while Joel Octodads around his garage pinching all his gear off the shelves like a pilfering crab.

benny_a

extra source of jiggaflops
It's like they've never seen poor Bill telling his tale while Joel Octodads around his garage pinching all his gear off the shelves like a pilfering crab.
At this point I'm convinced it's just that people don't know why they like or dislike something.

"I don't like this" so the conclusion is it must be the stuff I noticed.

I think animation in 3D games is very important but having read and listened to a lot of enthusiast press the way they fumble around that topic or never address it I'm not convinced that this is the problem they are having with this game.

It's probably something else - and that is fine - most writers just lack the vocabulary to articulate what it is. Animation sliding is probably not it, given EDGE's position on The Last of Us.

The thing is, if your game is going big on immersion and visual quality above all else - and let's not forget we're talking a generation on from TLOU - then these little moments are going to be all the more noticeable. It's akin to the Uncanny Valley effect - the closer a world is to realism, the more you spot the little flaws that betray its artificiality. It would be less of an issue in a game that compensated in other areas, but when you've got a game whose devs and publisher have been loudly touting its cinematic ambition', this stuff matters more than it does in another game that isn't as linear or restrictive.

And plenty of games manage transitions more elegantly than having a character glide laterally into position.

Top Bottom