• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

EDGE #278 - Bloodborne

King_Moc

Banned
I just feel that there are lots of encounters in the game and people are singling in on the more restricted combat areas to prove the gameplay is mediocre (along with binders of reviews to back them up), while there are lots of more open areas where you have a lot more ways to approach them and where gameplay is more fluid and dynamic. Those were the areas I enjoyed the most but a lot of people seem to pretend they don't even exist.

Personally I liked the mix of restricted/open environments, with shooting/stealth segments, but I can perfectly understand why other people wouldn't. The issues I had weren't with action gameplay segments, but with the relatively static environments and path finding during the exploration parts.

Tactically I never felt like I was given a better option that "remain in the same spot and wait for the enemies to reveal themselves". It felt like playing the worst of single player CoD, but with a cover system most of the time.

noshten

Yes, they probably have. That's why they do that.

I bought it day one because everything I saw and read about it seemed like the type of game I would enjoy, and I'm guessing many others did the same. None of the concerns brought up pre-release bothered me. It's bad when people can't take criticism of a game but telling people their opinions are bad because they liked something that wasn't well received critically is equally as ignorant.

So you admit that you had different taste than the majority of people in terms of gaming?

Order is a niche experience but got reviewed for the majority of the audience because it was an exclusive and Sony did the marketing. If it was marketed as a niche release instead of a big exclusive - there would have been fewer reviews and it's possible that people that have taste similar to yours would review it. Thus it might not have received many 2-4 scores.
Because it was a major release - everyone needed to review it, so reviewers who have a similar taste to mine had to play through this hot mess. I was never interested in the Order but if I was reviewing for a living I would have panned it because it's exactly the opposite type of story telling I would like to see in games(aka linear, with gameplay taking a back sit).

As far as wide appeal the Order fails as a video game, it might appeal to a minority of people who want this type of recycled material with a shinny new look but most people have moved on and cannot justify the $60 price for this type of game.
The guys in the Edge spend 40 hours on Bloodborne and haven't even finished the game. Order is beautiful looking but it looks like the Studio spend more time on the Engine than the actual game.

I don't see how anyone who has played The Order could be in any way surprised that it reviewed badly, in Edge and elsewhere. Although technically very good, as a game it is full of awful design decisions and compares badly to the best of the genre when it comes to the shooting sections. The stealth isn't handled very well, the supposed highlight Lycan encounters are boring, and the story is weak as piss for a game that is meant to be cinematic.

Edge are generally pretty mean with review scores, but tend to be consistent. I have faith in their reviewers, and found my experience with The Order to be very similar.

nib95

Banned
I don't see how anyone who has played The Order could be in any way surprised that it reviewed badly, in Edge and elsewhere. Although technically very good, as a game it is full of awful design decisions and compares badly to the best of the genre when it comes to the shooting sections. The stealth isn't handled very well, the supposed highlight Lycan encounters are boring, and the story is weak as piss for a game that is meant to be cinematic.

Edge are generally pretty mean with review scores, but tend to be consistent. I have faith in their reviewers, and found my experience with The Order to be very similar.

There are literally dozens upon dozens of people on GAF who have played the game and been surprised at the scathing reviews for the game. I'd actually say the shooting itself is handled better than the majority in the genre, that is the act of shooting the weapons, and the sense of feedback or control. It's the encounter design that is mediocre. But in terms of overall characters, acting, narrative delivery, presentation and audio, it's well above average, which is why some of the higher reviews from journalists and users alike still exist.

Aenima

Bloodborne in the title... *enters thread*
The Order discussion... *leaves thread*

Thread final score: 4/10

There are literally dozens upon dozens of people on GAF who have played the game and been surprised at the scathing reviews for the game. I'd actually say the shooting itself is handled better than the majority in the genre, that is the act of shooting the weapons, and the sense of feedback or control. It's the encounter design that is mediocre. But in terms of overall characters, acting, narrative delivery, presentation and audio, it's well above average, which is why some of the higher reviews from journalists and users alike still exist.

Every single one of the things you highlighted that The Order does well are irrelevant if the game isn't fun or interesting to play. I'd also say the characters and acting are moot points if the story isn't very good. RAD have managed to make a game in which the actual 'game' features are the weakest part of the overall package.

There are easily as many, if not more, impressions from people who played it and thought it was a bad game, and I have found those arguments for why the game isn't good FAR more convincing than the positive impressions. Most of the positive impressions I have read focus on the presentation, rather than the content.

Ld0wXdP.jpg

What the hell is that thing? Why does it have 10 legs?

jimboton

Because it is a medium that unfortunately still many people like the note was written in sacred stone. And note that this media and others may lead to ever see sequels of games that can improve even more. For example Uncharted for the first part of the second.

I am totally disagreement the notes in video games. And I think it's wonderful that web as eurogamer has taken the first step in eliminating them.

Eurogamer's review of The Order is a lot more damning than merely slaping 4 out of 10 on it though. As it should be, since the point of removing the number at the end was never to avoid calling out shit games for what they are. It doesn't mean every game that doesn't get neither recommended nor avoid is the same in their eyes. It just means that they don't get so many score arguments in the comments section among people that haven't even read the review.

Markitron

Is currently staging a hunger strike outside Gearbox HQ while trying to hate them to death
I do think the reviews for The Order are a bit harsh, it was a solid 7.5 to me and I enjoyed my time with it. The worst part of these threads are the posters that think if someone else enjoyed it, they must be a fanboy trying to justify their purchase. It's the height of ignorance.

The game does plenty wrong, but what it does well it does really well, and that makes it plenty enjoyable for a lot of people.

ParityBit

Does it support 3D? I played DS on my PC using 3D and it made combat really fun. You could judge distances really well and moving around/combat felt so life like.

I remind all that Edge gave The Witcher with 5 ¿Do you also you agree with this note?

5 is mediocre, meaning neither bad nor good, just average for all intents and purposes, and if you remember correctly, The Witcher 1 went through an obscene amount of patches, and even a remastering which fundamentally changed and improved the game. A considerable amount of voice work was re-recorded because it was so bad, dialogue was sometimes unreadable and nonsensical, bugs everywhere.

Many people love the Witcher 1 despite the flaws in design, but that launched was more than justified for getting lower scores than the sequel. Witcher 1 became a much better game after the enhanced versions of it came out.

Finally, I just want to say, that any person who does not enjoy the very polarizing combat of the Witcher, which is a completely legitimate thing, is going to have a very hard time enjoying the game even though the rest of the game is solid.

I am not defending a score, but Witcher 1 was not the game it is remembered as today when it came out.
There are plenty of reviews in Edges history that is extremely controversial. You can read all the shit threads yourself. Neogaf has unfortunately a long history of fanboys getting angry when Edge didn't play ball. They have been accused of PC bias, Sony Bias, Xbox bias, elitism, conformists, money hats, being harsh just to be cool, as people who have no sovereignty, and just all around assholes.
It is of course all stupid because a review should be debated on the merits of its review, and if you look at those, you can really see that they have a lot of good points a lot of the time. I don't agree with all of them, but there have been some nontraditional opinions I thought where spot on, in hindsight (Like the 1993 review of Doom).

When a magazine like EDGE is known for publishing scores that is aligning with the general consensus; you know the game is pretty bad. I'm surprised they didn't give it a 2 going by their standards.

industrian

will gently cradle you as time slowly ticks away.
You can read all the shit threads yourself. Neogaf has unfortunately a long history of fanboys getting angry when Edge didn't play ball. They have been accused of PC bias, Sony Bias, Xbox bias, elitism, conformists, money hats, being harsh just to be cool, as people who have no sovereignty, and just all around assholes.

You forget the classic "if <game company> was British they would have got a higher score."

Top Bottom