• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

EDGE: Issue 300 - Welcome to the Fantasy Zone

silva1991

Still no 10 score this year from them. Either TLG or FFXV will get it.

The only games they gave perfect scores so far his gen are Bloodborne and bayonetta 2(my personal equally favorites games)

RRockman

Banned
Is there anyone in thread that didn't immediately follow the thread title with "Get Ready" in their heads?

Man I love Space Harrier

groansey

The only games they gave perfect scores so far his gen are Bloodborne and bayonetta 2(my personal equally favorites games)

Their previews of TLG were tinged with negativity so reading between the lines I wouldn't expect a high score.

Then this is officially the worst year this gen(yes worse than 2014) unless one is into FPS games....

It has been a terrible year for me and I want at least one of them to deliver.

Still plenty of potentially great games coming up besides TLG and FF!

But honestly, I hope and (want to) believe both of them will be truly great.

Based on the preview, I'd be shocked if FFXV gets a 10.

EDGE said:
The elevation of supporting characters is designed to appeal to fans but it's been done at the expense of a strong plot

EDGE said:
In many of it's fragments of ideas and mechanics, FFXV shines. But by its stentorian conclusion, it's difficult to shake a feeling of confusion.

EDGE said:
Full of hope, ambition and no shortage of things to see and do... Like a folly extended by successive architects, it's a peculiar artefact that can't escape it's past

My guess would be a 7.

LordRaptor

It'll be interesting to see how history judges that callback to issue 1, because issue 1s cover game was Microcosm, a pretty, expensive, tech pushing, graphical powerhouse, of a deeply mediocre, boring and repetitive game.

gmoran

One of my big regrets is my throw out of EDGEs starting in 1999. I often wish I could go back and read them but space was at a premium so they had to go.

I've bought every issue, picked up my first copy at the airport going on my honeymoon to Rhodes early autumn 93—it looked like a good successor to ACE, but stopped hoarding them around #150 as the weight of them broke my wardrobe, sold notable issues to a mate for a Nintendo DS for the nipper.

Ban Puncher

Clicked on the thread hoping for news of a new Fantasy Zone.

Why the Space Harrier reference in the thread title? Am I missing something?

Got all excited the way the OP capitalised Fantasy Zone

2008_04_14_fantasyzone.gif

No Space Harrier and no Fantasy Zone? Fuck you Edge....

so no Space Harrier news?

OMldyij.gif

xzeldax3

I really like the throwback cover but wish they got different FFXV art to use. The box art for that game is terrible.

Kagari

Crystal Bearer
More from Edge on XV, second half of the game spoilers:

"The creative pressures and arguments that have coloured Final Fantasy XV's development are most evident in the second half, where it almost switches genre, away from the open world design of the The Witcher 3, which was an influence on the current team, to a much more traditional linear series of cutscenes and dungeons. Late in the game, a network of cramped corridors, stockrooms and baffling barracks feels like a hangover from another game entirely. Here, Noctis, working alone, must duck into doorways in order to hide from the stalking, haunted guards. The stealth is delivered in a horror style, complete with jump scares, a disembodied, Joker-like voiceover, and Resident Evil-style key-card puzzles."

"The creative pressures and arguments that have coloured Final Fantasy XV's development are most evident in the second half, where it almost switches genre, away from the open world design of the The Witcher 3, which was an influence on the current team, to a much more traditional linear series of cutscenes and dungeons. Late in the game, a network of cramped corridors, stockrooms and baffling barracks feels like a hangover from another game entirely."

Hm, yeah, that was to be expected. I'm not sure if I mind, but I'm sure some people will and that's fair.

That's honestly about what I figured just by following the game's development. Peeps should lower whatever expectations they got.

Eh, depends. Edge in particularly have mostly underscored FF games in my opinion. They gave FFX a 6 when it came out, which I think is pretty unfounded.

"The creative pressures and arguments that have coloured Final Fantasy XV's development are most evident in the second half, where it almost switches genre, away from the open world design of the The Witcher 3, which was an influence on the current team, to a much more traditional linear series of cutscenes and dungeons. Late in the game, a network of cramped corridors, stockrooms and baffling barracks feels like a hangover from another game entirely."Here, Noctis, working alone, must duck into doorways in order to hide from the stalking, haunted guards. The stealth is delivered in a horror style, complete with jump scares, a disembodied, Joker-like voiceover, and Resident Evil-style key-card puzzles."

Yeesh. This game is all over the damn place. Which we already knew, I guess.

Likening something to a "hangover" is never good.

"The creative pressures and arguments that have coloured Final Fantasy XV's development are most evident in the second half, where it almost switches genre, away from the open world design of the The Witcher 3, which was an influence on the current team, to a much more traditional linear series of cutscenes and dungeons. Late in the game, a network of cramped corridors, stockrooms and baffling barracks feels like a hangover from another game entirely."Here, Noctis, working alone, must duck into doorways in order to hide from the stalking, haunted guards. The stealth is delivered in a horror style, complete with jump scares, a disembodied, Joker-like voiceover, and Resident Evil-style key-card puzzles."

This was confirmed a long time ago.

jett

D-Member

"The creative pressures and arguments that have coloured Final Fantasy XV's development are most evident in the second half, where it almost switches genre, away from the open world design of the The Witcher 3, which was an influence on the current team, to a much more traditional linear series of cutscenes and dungeons. Late in the game, a network of cramped corridors, stockrooms and baffling barracks feels like a hangover from another game entirely. Here, Noctis, working alone, must duck into doorways in order to hide from the stalking, haunted guards. The stealth is delivered in a horror style, complete with jump scares, a disembodied, Joker-like voiceover, and Resident Evil-style key-card puzzles."

Why do games do this. Fucking stop developers.
Stop with your garbage stealth sequences in your non-stealth games.

Anyway, the switch to an entirely linear structure was pretty obvious. I sure hope that now there's nobody left that believes you'll actually be exploring the entire world like in a classic FF game. I still predict that the regions that we have seen so far comprise the only "open world" in the game.

Why do games do this. Fucking stop developers.
Stop with your garbage stealth sequences in your non-stealth games.

Speaking of stealth, nice edit Kagari :)

I'm starting to get a distinct MGS4 feeling from this game. All the one-off gameplay segments, the weird structure of the game and all those deviations from series standards, wrapped up in a hugely ambitious, hugely entertaining clusterfuck of a game.

So with that in mind, I'm expecting to love the shit out of it.

But yeah fuck shoed-in stealth segments generally

EDGE tries too hard, IMO. *shrug* I've always found them to be overly pretentious, prone to giving most (not all) truly great games lower scores because it generates interest. I find their writing style to be infuriatingly snarky, full of "I don't like this game mechanic because it's hip not to".

This isn't a reflection of their thoughts on FFXV, just EDGE in general. It's fine if you get your reviews and impressions from them. More power to you. I just personally don't see the appeal.

KooopaKid

Banned

I don't think FFXV will get a 10. Depends on the tone of their 40h preview though, haven't read it. FFXII got a 9 and I doubt FFXV will be better.
TLG seems to have too many litlle problems to get a 10 and neither Ico nor Shadow got one.
The next 10 could be BotW next March.

EDGE tries too hard, IMO. *shrug* I've always found them to be overly pretentious, prone to giving most (not all) truly great games lower scores because it generates interest. I find their writing style to be infuriatingly snarky, full of "I don't like this game mechanic because it's hip not to".

This isn't a reflection of their thoughts on FFXV, just EDGE in general. It's fine if you get your reviews and impressions from them. More power to you. I just personally don't see the appeal.
You're being a bit of a Megative Mancy.

Floex

This does not bode well.

There is an element of this in Edge reviews, for sure. It is part of their hook I suppose. They also tend to be quite verbose, but the writing can be decent

Examples? I think they're mostly fair and certainly better written than most if not all reviews.

Then this is officially the worst year this gen(yes worse than 2014) unless one is into FPS games.....

While it's been a vintage year for first person shooters, games like Hitman, Dark Souls 3, The Witness, Inside, Rez Infinite, Thumper, Forza Horizon 3 and Hyper Light Drifter are all excellent games I'd say.

I think Dishonored 2 will probably be the highest rated upcoming game of 2016.

nekkid

It doesn't matter who we are, what matters is our plan.

I don't think Edge ever mark games down for the clicks. But I do think their overriding taste is on the side of "edge" (for a western publication) meaning that a lot of well-received western titles are scored lower.

In general I've found that if you're a fan of a western games then they're probably not going to have an opinion that reflects yours on those games.

Totally disagree. I think there is a lot to be admired in trying to be different and remain independent of thought - a rare thing in an industry where many kowtow to publishers in order to get access to the years blockbuster games. In an age where 7 is seen as average, despite not being halfway up a 0 to 10 scale, it's good to see a review outlet that actually knows what average means and isn't afraid to call out developers and publishers on their foibles.

r.
In general I've found that if you're a fan of a western games then they're probably not going to have an opinion that reflects yours.

Not seeing it. Looking at this year, they gave UC4, Doom, The Witness, Hyper Light Drifter and Inside a nine for example.

Not that western games are a genre to begin with.

bigol

As long as the second half is not entirely cutscene>combat>cutscene in long hallways similar to FF X or FF XIII but we still have some free exploration it's all good.

Top Bottom