• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

EDGE: Issue 300 - Welcome to the Fantasy Zone

Totally disagree. I think there is a lot to be admired in trying to be different and remain independent of thought - a rare thing in an industry where many kowtow to publishers in order to get access to the years blockbuster games. In an age where 7 is seen as average, despite not being halfway up a 0 to 10 scale, it's good to see a review outlet that actually knows what average means and isn't afraid to call out developers and publishers on their foibles.

And that's fine. I'm more referring to their writing style than their reviews, really. They come off as snobby and pretentious to me. Just my opinion, though.

KooopaKid

Banned
I don't think Edge ever mark games down for the clicks. But I do think their overriding taste is on the side of "edge" (for a western publication) meaning that a lot of well-received western titles are scored lower.

In general I've found that if you're a fan of a western games then they're probably not going to have an opinion that reflects yours on those games.

Yeah, Edge is still the best review outlet out there. A bit harsh but usually fair.
The fact that you can predict scores from them because their review policy has been more or less the same for the last 20 years is quite telling. If you understand their stance and philosophy, you will agree more often than not with their reviews.

Acosta

Civilization 6 a 6 my ass.

This is a sorry cover for their 300th number, it´s not even a great cover for Final Fantasy. I remember the 100th number they had an exclusive illustration from Miyamoto, but now for 300th then can't get Square Enix to give them something beyond a standard promotional art.

I'm a subscriber and I will be for life until they close, Edge taught me English and a different way to experience videogames, and still have some really good columns and features (I tend to disagree quite a bit with the reviews though). But nowadays it feels way less special than before. Being published by Future doesn't help I guess, probably they are criminally underpaid and with lack of resources. Or maybe it´s me, who knows.

I started at 43 and keep around 150 issues (I have never discarded any of them, Edge is the mag that I will never throw away), then I went digital because international subscription is expensive.

Anyways, impressive number, very glad to be in this train for so many years. Hope we see a 400 and a 500.

The receipts? I just said it's my personal opinion. People take stuff different ways.

Sure, but it means little to others if you can't back it up.

Like, if all you can do is be generally negative about something but you can't properly explain why, maybe just not say it.

prone to giving most (not all) truly great games lower scores because it generates interest

That's not a 'personal opinion', that's unsubstantiated shit-slinging.

Philippo

40hrs of FFXV?
Damn they must have played at least up to Ch.10 if not more.
Hope this is meaty.
Is there somewhere where i can read more out of the article?

More from Edge on XV, second half of the game spoilers:

"The creative pressures and arguments that have coloured Final Fantasy XV's development are most evident in the second half, where it almost switches genre, away from the open world design of the The Witcher 3, which was an influence on the current team, to a much more traditional linear series of cutscenes and dungeons. Late in the game, a network of cramped corridors, stockrooms and baffling barracks feels like a hangover from another game entirely. Here, Noctis, working alone, must duck into doorways in order to hide from the stalking, haunted guards. The stealth is delivered in a horror style, complete with jump scares, a disembodied, Joker-like voiceover, and Resident Evil-style key-card puzzles."

Idk how to feel about this.
I mean, on paper it doesn't sound too great, but maybe the execution its better, and i like the idea of unexpected game situations.
And story-wise it makes sense to go more linear, it would be weird giving the feel of recapturing your nation if you're free to go wherever you want.
In my head, i expected the later part of the game to be similar to The Witcher 2, but Edge makes it sound like Uncharted.
That said i hope we still get some freedom even in those scenarios.

The receipts? I just said it's my personal opinion. People take stuff different ways.

Where I disagree with you most is that they give great games lower scores. There are a few examples that they've owned up to f'ing up- GTA3 and Doom. Other than that - a few scores of great classic games off the top of my head:

Gran Turismo - 10
SM64 - 10
Ocarina - 10
Goldeneye 9 (and they later said it should have been 10)
Halo - 10
Half Life 2 - 10
Souls Series - 9s
Bloodborne - 10
Bayo Series - 10s
Resi 4 - 9
Metroid Prime -- 9

I'd say their track record is solid and stands up well looking back over the years.

They get some stuff wrong and they tend to be harsh on RPGs in my opinion and they also have their favourites(more niche manga style games for instance) but they also did a lot to bring these types of games to the attention of those who read the magazine. I've personally bought a lot of games, especially PS2 gen, that I wouldn't have given a go if it weren't for a good review in EDGE.

Banned
EDGE tries too hard, IMO. *shrug* I've always found them to be overly pretentious, prone to giving most (not all) truly great games lower scores because it generates interest. I find their writing style to be infuriatingly snarky, full of "I don't like this game mechanic because it's hip not to".

This isn't a reflection of their thoughts on FFXV, just EDGE in general. It's fine if you get your reviews and impressions from them. More power to you. I just personally don't see the appeal.
Edge is trying to live up to their magazine name. They're being edgy for no good reason other than to get reactions out of gamers and get clicks.

Pretentious indeed.

/s

Edge is trying to live up to their magazine name. They're being edgy for no good reason other than to get reactions out of gamers and get clicks.

Pretentious indeed.
Is this post for real?

Get clicks? They don't even post online versions of their reviews.

popo

Christmas 2016? Edge seriously has a problem with numbers

300 is a lot, grats

Most UK magazines line up like that. Most December issues come out in October. It gets a little weirder for mags that produce 13 issues a year and have a Christmas issue.

Outrun

And that's fine. I'm more referring to their writing style than their reviews, really. They come off as snobby and pretentious to me. Just my opinion, though.

I get that vibe also...

Almost as if they are the authority on all things videogame...

I still like the mag though.. Not sure why it is so expensive.

Pretentious indeed.

You've never read EDGE have you?

Also, LOL at the irony of the NX leak guy talking about getting clicks....

timberger

Uh oh, butthurt over the
Completely fair imo
Gears 4 score.

You guys are in for it when the games reviewer defense force who were all over the PSVR review thread in force yesterday get here. Sure they'll be along any second now...

Any second...

KooopaKid

Banned

Pretentious indeed.

So wrong. They are real critics and more professionnal than most, namely US gaming websites...

0e0.gif

Edit: Oh. Sarcasm, how does it work.

List of games that were EDGE covers that were never released:

HMS Carnage
Ferrari 360 Challenge
Exo
Unity (Sob)
The Outsider
Aionguard
Wardevil
Transformers Universe
Fable Legends

More from Edge on XV, second half of the game spoilers:

"The creative pressures and arguments that have coloured Final Fantasy XV's development are most evident in the second half, where it almost switches genre, away from the open world design of the The Witcher 3, which was an influence on the current team, to a much more traditional linear series of cutscenes and dungeons. Late in the game, a network of cramped corridors, stockrooms and baffling barracks feels like a hangover from another game entirely. Here, Noctis, working alone, must duck into doorways in order to hide from the stalking, haunted guards. The stealth is delivered in a horror style, complete with jump scares, a disembodied, Joker-like voiceover, and Resident Evil-style key-card puzzles."

Oof; that kind of extreme subject and tonal change sounds kind of awful.

The next 10 could be BotW next March.

Honestly, given how Edge loves the series I would be surprised if BotW doesn't get a 10/10.

I used to buy Edge for quite a while when I was living in the UK and I occasionally still read some issues digitally. I would generally agree that there is some pretentiousness in how they write their reviews, but I'd also argue that is part of the appeal of the magazine over other magazines that seem more conventional like Games TM. I also feel that sometimes they are a bit harsh on more comercial games, whereas for other products they are more lenient. In any case, it's really well-written and the fact that is has lasted this long in the internet era means they must be doing something right.

djtiesto

is beloved, despite what anyone might say
Expected a bit more out of an FFXV cover considering it's Edge. Not to mention Game Informer's cover of the game was absolutely stunning in comparison.

Their impressions, I think we kinda had an idea the progression of the game would be like this, a more open first half and more linear second... going in more of the western RPG direction than the Japanese (more linear first half and more open second). I just hope we get a bit of variety from the open world areas since all we've really seen is desert and Duscae area.

EDGE tries too hard, IMO. *shrug* I've always found them to be overly pretentious, prone to giving most (not all) truly great games lower scores because it generates interest. I find their writing style to be infuriatingly snarky, full of "I don't like this game mechanic because it's hip not to".

This isn't a reflection of their thoughts on FFXV, just EDGE in general. It's fine if you get your reviews and impressions from them. More power to you. I just personally don't see the appeal.

I agree to an extent. Almost every piece is overwritten.

GAME is a much stronger magazine if you ask me. It's much easier to read with a more direct writing style.

There's a certain prestige surrounding EDGE, but I wouldn't read it if you paid me.

It's got a unique voice no doubt, but not one I care for.

Future is doing much better stuff under the 'Official' umbrella.

One side of the poster that came with the magazine - it depicts Mario with the artist stating that he wanted to paint a video game character 'as if he came to sit for me'.

Not my cup of tea but some may appreciate it I guess:

gTwElYL.jpg

Seems like an issue very aimed at welcoming new and lapsed people back to Edge. I remember they said running a Final Fantasy cover would always net them 10 times more sales, but they chose to put something like Madworld on the cover because who else would? Hope this issue does well for them.
I saw a "preview" of RDR2 in a German mag, too but didn't buy it. Those are just glorified trailer analysis articles with additional speculation, aren't they?
Possible. They have a thing called Hype roundup which is very small snippets. It's more of a personal take. And they're rarely more than a paragraph. I don't usually even bother posting these as I don't consider them proper previews.
Issue 1 was £3?!

And now they're charging £5.50 for less magazine.
They seem to run less ads and job listings these days.
Still no 10 score this year from them. Either TLG or FFXV will get it.
Based on their recent preview, The Last Guardian is not 10 material. Final Fantasy XII was the closest the series got to a 10 in recent years.
List of games that were EDGE covers that were never released:

The Outsider
I attended a talk that was about the Outsider a bit and it sounded like it was all tech, very ambitious tech. Who knows how far that got shaped into a game (let alone one that could run on a 360)

Citizen K

Anyone buy the magazine in the U.K. If so where from? Ain't bought a mag in a very long time but would like issue 300. What stores stock it?

Top Bottom