• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

EDGE Magazine - Issue 213 Scores

This whole thread is a disgrace.

Edge is a fucking fantastic magazine and not just for reviews. The writing and stories they choose to do are almost always excellent.

I respect their opinions and anyone else should too. If you don't agree with them, that's your own choice (and more power to you) but all the pitchforks and bias and all that bullshit need to stop. End of story. It's juvenile and it makes you look like an ass.

Actually, the problem is that this thread was even created. Should be about the issue, not about the scores.

mhayze

All the developers that rely heavily on Metacritic scores to justify their bonuses must dread cracking open the copy of Edge that has a review for their game...

theignoramus said:
you're just throwing up smoke screens.
Edge is presented as a paradigm of tough, penetrating criticism, I bring up a hyped up, half busted game that Edge made a bunch of false and innacurate statements about (Epic's finest game yet!..it never takes gamer for granted!) and you bring up...sales?

And you are "objectively" arguing that Gears of War 2 cannot be considered one of the best 3rd person shooters ever, by anyone, because you don't like it.

Did you similarly rage over reviewers skirting Uncharted 2's syncing and matchmaking issues?

Were you one of the people posting the 1upgivesGearsofWarperfectscorelol.jpg without reading the rest of the review?

At the end of the day, you're still arguing personal preference.

EagleEyes

Sho_Nuff82 said:
And you are "objectively" arguing that Gears of War 2 cannot be considered one of the best 3rd person shooters ever, by anyone, because you don't like it.

Did you similarly rage over reviewers skirting Uncharted 2's syncing and matchmaking issues?

Were you one of the people posting the 1upgivesGearsofWarperfectscorelol.jpg without reading the rest of the review?

A level headed poster like you shouldn't even be wasting your time with people looking for attention. Nothing good ever comes out of it.

Shurs

Aad said:
So you want a three point scale?

I'm considering either a 3 or 5 point scale.

Three Points
Buy It
Try It
Ignore It

Five Points
5)Title is one of, if not, the best in its class.
4)An excellent game. Worth owning.
3)Title could be worth playing, though your level of enjoyment may vary.
2)The bad outweighs the good.
1)Title has little to no redeeming qualities.

Quite funny that the EDGE haters are still referring to Halo 3, GTA4 and Halo ODST if it comes to argument their hate over EDGE. Anything else?

That's like Famitsu and Nintendogs.

Three examles to disqualify a whole magazine? Well, I'm sure one of those haters can tell me a better magazine/and or website, which did never cross my personal oinion about a game.

obonicus

Shurs said:
I'm considering either a 3 or 5 point scale.

Three Points
Buy It
Try It
Ignore It

Pretty much Crispy Gamer.

Five Points
5)Title is one of, if not, the best in its class.
4)An excellent game. Worth owning.
3)Title could be worth playing, though your level of enjoyment may vary.
2)The bad outweighs the good.
1)Title has little to no redeeming qualities.

Giant Bomb?

obonicus

vodka-bull said:
Quite funny that the EDGE haters are still referring to Halo 3, GTA4 and Halo ODST if it comes to argument their hate over EDGE. Anything else?

Three examles to disqualify a whole magazine? Well, I'm sure one of those haters can tell me a better magazine/and or website, which did never cross my personal oinion about a game.

Those examples are brought up to point out perceived inconsistencies. On the exact opposite of the spectrum of the crazies who think Edge hates Sony there's folks who think Edge is 'right'. Neither can really support why Edge is significantly better/worse than say, Gamespot beyond a 'I like their scores better' (which in all fairness is how it should work). But we still talk about it like reviewing's (or worse, scoring) an exact science.

Ikuu

Had his dog run over by Blizzard's CEO
Shurs said:
Three Points
Buy It
Try It
Ignore It
Only way to do it really, the strength of the recommendation should become apparent in the review.

Shurs

obonicus said:
Pretty much Crispy Gamer.

Exactly like Crispy Gamer, though I always found the term "Fry It" to be a bit dumb.

obonicus said:
Giant Bomb?

I know that Giant Bomb uses the 5 star system, though I've never looked at what each star stands for.

Ataturk

I view Edge's reviews as more of an academic exercise, rather than consumer advice. I am interested in their opinion, but it doesn't affect my purchasing decisions.

daxter01

8/8/2010 Blackace was here
Sho_Nuff82 said:
dude did you just put u2 matchmaking issues and gears 2 online issues in the same plate wow:lol

Aad

vodka-bull said:

That's like Famitsu and Nintendogs.

Ataturk said:
I view Edge's reviews as more of an academic exercise, rather than consumer advice. I am interested in their opinion, but it doesn't affect my purchasing decisions.

I agree with both of you on both counts.

Ikuu said:
Only way to do it really, the strength of the recommendation should become apparent in the review.

Yes. Review without a number pasted at the end of it. Forcing the reader to actually read the review and make their own mind up.

Shurs

Aad said:
I agree with both of you on both counts.

Yes. Review without a number pasted at the end of it. Forcing the reader to actually read the review and make their own mind up.

Most people want a number. That's the sad fact.

D4Danger

Unconfirmed Member
Aad said:

why don't people just do that now and ignore the number?

Haunted

Aad said:
Several magazines and sites have tried this, it simply doesn't work.

I'm all for getting rid of scores, but I also want EDGE to be around for a bit longer.

Edge uses a 10 point scale. 5 is average. Anything higher is above average. A 6 in Edge is a good review. A 9 is the rapture. A 10 is the sscond coming of Christ. It's easy if you look at it that way.

reKon

Banned
I feel like speaking my mind in regards to EDGE, but I fear the ban hammer so I won't take that risk :lol . I've finally started Dragon Age and have been playing for 10+ hours and the game is really something (I have the PS3 version, I don't have a rig capable of running a pretty PC version). I'd just like to know why EDGE gave this game a 5/10 for anyone who has the magazine. Then I believe that in that same November issue a while back Left 4 Dead 2 received a 9/10 (I love these games and I've only own the first one, but really? Then last but not least, there's Fable 2, which got a 9/10. I guess the staff must feel that Fable 2 was a much superior RPG (I've read that review).

I do value different perspectives and opinions, but only to a certain degree and so far EDGE is on a whole another level.

Cipherr

GillianSeed79 said:
Edge uses a 10 point scale. 5 is average. Anything higher is above average. A 6 in Edge is a good review. A 9 is the rapture. A 10 is the sscond coming of Christ. It's easy if you look at it that way.

This pretty much did it for me right there, Once I accepted that I was cool, and their reviews are SOOOO much better than any other outlets. The text that is. They have grown on me a great deal.

No freaking clue whats up with Nibs today, been debating with that guy for years now, stretching back to the IGN boards. He just completely blew his top over this edge stuff, never seen him meltdown like that.

Aad

Haunted said:
I'm all for getting rid of scores, but I also want EDGE to be around for a bit longer.
Shurs said:
Games For Windows: The Official Magazine tried it and reader outcry led them to quickly go back to scoring games.
I'd have assumed that the demographic that read EDGE would welcome it if they would remove scores.

GillianSeed79 said:
This keeps getting re-stated in this thread and I really don't think anyone disagrees with it. Both sides of the argument would probably stipulate to it as fact. The point of contention is how these scores are applied to certain games.

Shurs

Aad said:
I'd have assumed that the demographic that read EDGE would welcome it if they would remove scores.

You'd have thought the same thing for GFW's audience, but that wasn't the case.

Slavik81

Personally, I think it depends on what you're writing. If it's a product review, I want to see a detailed summary so I can quickly spot the best products out of a list of a few hundred. From that, I'd make a shortlist of a handful of products to investigate more closely. I don't have the time to look through much more than a few percent of all products released.

On the other hand, if you're writing a literary critique, it's not something that I'd be looking at to make a purchasing decision. That's something I'd want to read after experiencing it, such that I could better understand and appreciate its finer points. There's no need for a score or summary there, since I'd only be seeking out the specific critic that I already knew I wanted to read.

Ikuu said:
That's fine if you're willing to read through 1/3rd of all reviews ever written just to determine which ones they most recommend. If you're going to force them to read the review just to determine the strength of the recommendation, the summary is not doing its job.

Reading the review should give you the details as to why they made the recommendation they did. The summary should be enough to know what their recommendation was.

Haunted said:
Several magazines and sites have tried this, it simply doesn't work.
There's a german magazine called "GEE" and it tells me that you're wrong.
Well, I guess that the demographic that subscribed EDGE rather read the review instead of just looking at the number.

Kai Dracon

Writing a dinosaur space opera symphony
SonOfABeep said:

Edge is a fucking fantastic magazine and not just for reviews. The writing and stories they choose to do are almost always excellent.

No, Edge's reviews are frequently horrible, I'm sorry. In point of fact, THAT IS THE PROBLEM - that Edge's editorial content is so high quality and then you get to the review section - which is a large part of the magazine - and suddenly the quality takes a nosedive. I've said this before: there is a suspicious difference in the quality of a regular review and Edge's own "Time Extend" retro-reviews. The TE articles take games apart at a expert level. They don't gloss over the bad parts. Frequently, a TE goes over a game that, on the whole, was not a good game.

But the key difference is, when an Edge writer pulls together a Time Extend, he seems to understand the f**king game he is playing. The criticisms are valid /and/ insightful, frequently demonstrating a far better grasp of what goes into a game than almost any other "professional" articles or reviews.

Meanwhile, in Edge's regular reviews, what do we get? Largely a bunch of idiots either hyping or criticizing a game for reasons that are obvious and pedestrian at best, and cynical, ignorant, and biased at worst.

The joke here is that I long stopped caring about pro reviews; they haven't influenced my purchasing or preference in games in years. But this is the worst part of Edge, and the logic behind their game reviews is frequently worse than IGN (!!), so it's going to get rightly criticized.

reKon said:
I feel like speaking my mind in regards to EDGE, but I fear the ban hammer so I won't take that risk :lol . I've finally started Dragon Age and have been playing for 10+ hours and the game is really something (I have the PS3 version, I don't have a rig capable of running a pretty PC version). I'd just like to know why EDGE gave this game a 5/10 for anyone who has the magazine. Then I believe that in that same November issue a while back Left 4 Dead 2 received a 9/10 (I love these games and I've only own the first one, but really? Then last but not least, there's Fable 2, which got a 9/10. I guess the staff must feel that Fable 2 was a much superior RPG (I've read that review).

I do value different perspectives and opinions, but only to a certain degree and so far EDGE is on a whole another level.

The Edge reviewer complained that Dragon Age was a dumb stupid stupid boring "old fashioned" RPG. According to him, the characters are stupid, the dialog is stupid, the voice actors are stupid, the graphics are terrible, it's not fun, it's boring, and every single detail about the game is mediocre.

In effect, the text of his review sounded as if he was offended that the game was a traditional "AD&D" style fantasy world. Also, there's a huge argument to be made with him about the quality of the dialog, writing, and especially the voice acting. These were some of the /strong points/ of the game that just about everyone agrees with, including those who don't like the game itself.

Also, while the graphics are Dragon Age's weakest point - outside its standard fantasy world -, the reviewer seemed to castigate it by "shader whore" technical standards. The artistic quality of the game, which is quite high in many places, evidently didn't matter.

Generally, every negative point of the game was grossly exaggerated in the review. It came off as either a hit piece, or someone who hated RPGs being asked to review the game. It's not even so much the number assigned to the game in this case, as it is the body of the review itself full of negative hyperbole.

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
three point scales don't have enough shades of grey for my liking.

five is the perfect compromise, in my opinion. Giant Bomb have been using it to great effect, and with very little backlash, according to them.

and holy guacamole at the nib meltdown. :lol

HiResDes

SonOfABeep said:

I respect their opinions and anyone else should too. If you don't agree with them, that's your own choice (and more power to you) but all the pitchforks and bias and all that bullshit need to stop. End of story. It's juvenile and it makes you look like an ass.

Actually, the problem is that this thread was even created. Should be about the issue, not about the scores.
Yes, I think they have some of the best written material in the industry, too bad for them everyone pays more attention to scores than text these days.

kaizoku

I'm not as deluded as I make myself out to be
EDGE has got to be the only magazine with a rabid fanboy base (not that being pro EDGE makes you a rabid fanboy). Its just I bet the same few guys come to this thread every damn month to defend the last known bastion of gaming journalism and the full 10 scale and say the same thing 15 times in a row.

and thats kinda why I occasionally come back for more. the scores don't outrage me so much as the "EDGE is the holiest magazine out there" propaganda that some people buy into.

I used to be an EDGE fan, I used to be so damn proud that they came from the UK, that writers for it had come from other magazines I had followed and that the cover was appearing in MGS and so on.

But its plain to see that the UK print industry is suffering all across the board. Major newspapers and magazines are suffering and good writers are harder to find. This is definitely true of the games press.

Its just a brand now. The staff are just regular writers who have a job at a publishing company, its not some kind of elite branch of Future Publishing where the cream of the crop end up after impressing with other missions. Its not the PIXAR or the SAS of the games journalism world. Funnily enough its the Final Fantasy of games journalism.

An awesome brand with loads of fan loyalty and great reputation amongst the industry, press and development alike. But judged on its actual merits, there's a few things it does very well such as features (cut scenes) but it falls so far short on many other things. But certain people still love it despite its flaws, as far as they're concerned it has done no wrong.

I'm 9 hours into FFXIII (so I'm in his dull as hell 20 hour threshold), I'm a big FF fan but honestly I've never ever completed a FF game to completion and I feel like this will be the first game I do. It feels like SE made a FF to meet my needs and I love it. The reviewer in this case failed me because he didn't give me the information I needed to garner an insight into the game, he just waffled on about why he didn't like it. What he should've done was describe and deconstruct elements of the game design, educate me on the highs and lows, ins and outs and let me make my own mind up about whether this game is for me. Thats what skilled reviewers and writers do. Thats why this score is nothing but a poor review which hinges on pandering to their own hardcore full 10 scale reputation as well as failing to provide gamers with the necessary information.

shintoki

sparkle this bitch
I like the 5 point system also

Must Own Classic
Great Game
Solid Purchase
Fans of the genre or Try it
Avoid it

With Must Own: Titles that are all around fantastic. Can't go wrong with a day 1 purchase
Great Games: Normally just shy of being Classics, but having a major fault. Low replay, shoddy online, etc. Wait for first price drop.
Solid Purchases:Allot of faults but still a solid buy. Normally buy it once it becomes budget or GH or Clearance.
Fans of the genre: Either know what you are getting into or rent it. Try before you buy
Avoid it: Avoid it!

With no reference to the reviews from this current issue, I find Edge to be the gaming version of Pitchfork magazine (music magazine if you don't know it), that is they review on artistic merits and what it adds to the state of gaming, but that is frequently different from what the average gamer will take from the game, and the way they enjoy it. I can see how it can be viewed as inconsistent and arrogant, especially as no one is infallible, everyone can be victim of hype and the 'next big thing'.

Deku

Banned
Monty Mole said:
Should be interesting :)

Infinite Space - 8

EDGE!
/bow

EDGE has got to be the only magazine with a rabid fanboy base (not that being pro EDGE makes you a rabid fanboy). Its just I bet the same few guys come to this thread every damn month to defend the last known bastion of gaming journalism and the full 10 scale and say the same thing 15 times in a row.

I'll make an admission. I don't read Edge that much anymore. Actually I don't reach much on the trade side period.

The reason I come into Edge threads every month is because their scores entice a level of delirious anger from fans of game franchises who routinely get 10s or 9s and Game of Forever (really how many of those shitty titles can gamerags make up anyways) that I just tend to agree with how Edge approaches reviews. And really, the number of Edge 'fans' pale in comparison to the number of run of the mill new gen franchises that can bump a thread to 20 pages overnight.

This month's contrast between the 5 FF13 got and the two 8's they handed out is absolutely hilarious and dare I say fair.

This isn't really about where you agree with a certain game's score anyways. I disagree with a lot of Edge scores, just as I have disagreed with many of Roger Ebert's review, but I'll take Ebert's insight on a movie over Metro (free paper) moneyhatted shitty reviews anyday.

Also, Metacritic is a pile of shit precisely because the averages are pushed up by softball reviews from 'reputable' game sites like IGN. I really hope studios using it normalize the scores instead of taking them on face value.

Dresden

SealSqueal said:
With no reference to the reviews from this current issue, I find Edge to be the gaming version of Pitchfork magazine (music magazine if you don't know it), that is they review on artistic merits and what it adds to the state of gaming, but that is frequently different from what the average gamer will take from the game, and the way they enjoy it. I can see how it can be viewed as inconsistent and arrogant, especially as no one is infallible, everyone can be victim of hype and the 'next big thing'.
EDGE is better than Pitchfork.

GhaleonQ

Dresden said:
EDGE is better than Pitchfork.

Pitchfork has generally consistent standards, creates narratives both within musical trends and for specific musicians, and is a tastemaker. Edge demonstrates none of those. Their features are just fine, but one doesn't judge a critic favorably just because he can string sentences together properly.

Dresden

GhaleonQ said:
Pitchfork has generally consistent standards, creates narratives both within musical trends and for specific musicians, and is a tastemaker. Edge compares...because...?
E comes before P.

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
GhaleonQ said:
Pitchfork has generally consistent standards, creates narratives both within musical trends and for specific musicians, and is a tastemaker. Edge compares...because...?
Better features. Reviews are only a really small part of Edge, which I'm sure about 2% of this thread, at best, is aware of.

reKon

Banned
Kaijima said:
No, Edge's reviews are frequently horrible, I'm sorry. In point of fact, THAT IS THE PROBLEM - that Edge's editorial content is so high quality and then you get to the review section - which is a large part of the magazine - and suddenly the quality takes a nosedive. I've said this before: there is a suspicious difference in the quality of a regular review and Edge's own "Time Extend" retro-reviews. The TE articles take games apart at a expert level. They don't gloss over the bad parts. Frequently, a TE goes over a game that, on the whole, was not a good game.

But the key difference is, when an Edge writer pulls together a Time Extend, he seems to understand the f**king game he is playing. The criticisms are valid /and/ insightful, frequently demonstrating a far better grasp of what goes into a game than almost any other "professional" articles or reviews.

Meanwhile, in Edge's regular reviews, what do we get? Largely a bunch of idiots either hyping or criticizing a game for reasons that are obvious and pedestrian at best, and cynical, ignorant, and biased at worst.

The joke here is that I long stopped caring about pro reviews; they haven't influenced my purchasing or preference in games in years. But this is the worst part of Edge, and the logic behind their game reviews is frequently worse than IGN (!!), so it's going to get rightly criticized.

The Edge reviewer complained that Dragon Age was a dumb stupid stupid boring "old fashioned" RPG. According to him, the characters are stupid, the dialog is stupid, the voice actors are stupid, the graphics are terrible, it's not fun, it's boring, and every single detail about the game is mediocre.

In effect, the text of his review sounded as if he was offended that the game was a traditional "AD&D" style fantasy world. Also, there's a huge argument to be made with him about the quality of the dialog, writing, and especially the voice acting. These were some of the /strong points/ of the game that just about everyone agrees with, including those who don't like the game itself.

Also, while the graphics are Dragon Age's weakest point - outside its standard fantasy world -, the reviewer seemed to castigate it by "shader whore" technical standards. The artistic quality of the game, which is quite high in many places, evidently didn't matter.

Generally, every negative point of the game was grossly exaggerated in the review. It came off as either a hit piece, or someone who hated RPGs being asked to review the game. It's not even so much the number assigned to the game in this case, as it is the body of the review itself full of negative hyperbole.

In that case, I have a completely opposite view whoever wrote this review. The graphics are the only flaw of this game so far, and like you've mentioned there are actually points in the game where the artistic direction make up for some of the individual elements of the graphics (some of the towns look great).

I could on and on about how wrong EDGE is and I have come to the conclusion that their taste in games is just horrid. What's even more confusing is that there are some people on these boards that are so quick to vigorously defend them and believe they write quality reviews (the Dragon Age review you described is an indication of this). That "it's just an opinion!" bullshit doesn't cut it. They are seriously off on too many of their reviews and ratings =/.

GhaleonQ

AstroLad said:
Better features. Reviews are only a really small part of Edge, which I'm sure about 2% of this thread, at best, is aware of.

The topic was reviews, but I'll add that I still haven't seen an Edge feature that matched P2K's, say, The Social History Of The MP3.

GhaleonQ

AstroLad said:
I thought the topic was "EDGE is better than Pitchfork."

Fine. Pitchfork does reviews better than Edge's features, in that they affect the industry, cover the breadth much more completely, and are released more often. 6 paragraphs on the The Twilight Sad album are better written than 30 on, say, motion-capture. http://www.edge-online.com/magazine/performance-art Rote (set-up, quotation, set-up, quotation). No point-of-view or pushback. No contextualized within the broader industry narrative. I don't understand why people admire Edge instead of better-written magazines about other industries.

While Pitchfork sometimes does track-by-track reviews, this is the norm. http://pitchfork.com/reviews/albums/14010-the-monitor The thread is visible throughout the entire review, bound by the strong opening and closing. The writing is occasionally clever. It's contextualized within the band's recent history and within the punk genre. It has a point-of-view about the concept and the execution.

...But this is getting silly, I suppose. I'll just regress to a teenager and post, "Edge is overrated. Psh."

Pitchfork are definitely consistent, if they take a disliking to and artist's music, they tend to stay that way :lol In terms of features, well there is whole lot more history and story threads tio draw on when it comes to music over games, so they should be more interesting really. Sorry for creating the tangent, but essentially they can both have completely obnoxious reviews as well as great ones imo but they are worth it for an alternat purist kind of viewpoint.

entrement said:
I still can't understand the obsession with review scores.

neither can i if your a "hardcore" gamer then you know what you like and if you want to try something different then you would probably want to read the review to see if you want to try it out

Mar

Ahh, this thread was great. I read the entire thing just now.

I have to say, I was getting worried the storm wasn't going to deliver. For the first 5 to 8 pages it seemed rather tame. But by the time page 10+ arrived it had turned into a full category 9 shit storm and was entertaining to the very last word. Thanks, GAF.

It's interesting to compare my experience with this magazine with some other people here. I love nothing more than cracking open a fresh beer and turning the first page of EDGE and reading the publication. When I come across the reviews I'll spot the score and then read the content. One example of a game I loved that received a very low score was Dragon Age, and I see the score and think "wow, I wonder what they didn't like about it" and read the review. Whereas here they see the score and go into full meltdown mode and head off to metacritic and start compiling epic excel spreadsheets.

Like someone said in here that I thought summed up the thread very well. Some people should hope their friends, family or employers don't read this and know who it is because, damn, some if it is scary stuff. All over a video game you already love and don't need someone elses opinion to justify that love.

Sho_Nuff82 said:

so now you're claiming Uncharted 2's MP was a catastrophe on the level of Gears 2s mp?

Mar said:
It's interesting to compare my experience with this magazine with some other people here. I love nothing more than cracking open a fresh beer and turning the first page of EDGE and reading the publication. When I come across the reviews I'll spot the score and then read the content. One example of a game I loved that received a very low score was Dragon Age, and I see the score and think "wow, I wonder what they didn't like about it" and read the review. Whereas here they see the score and go into full meltdown mode and head off to metacritic and start compiling epic excel spreadsheets.

I'd buy you that beer for saying that.

I don't always agree with what edge says, but I always enjoy reading it.

What fun would reviews be if every blockbuster just got 9 and 10 reviews and said the same thing. EDGE is allowed to have their own opinion. Be a little more confident in your own opinions and dont let it get to you that they don't agree.

And to the guy who replied crying that Uncharted 2 got ONLY a 9.. ONLY a 9.

The people in this thread should all go find a mirror and read what they've posted out loud to themselves.

Top Bottom