• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

EDGE Magazine - Issue 213 Scores

kinggroin

Banned
Mailenstein said:
Huh? The first 20somewhat minutes in God of War 3 are breathtaking - never really experienced anything similar to that. Just EPIC.
I experienced Bayonetta fighting mechanics rather chaotic compared to God of War 3. Don't get me wrong, it was absolutely playable, no question, but at times I just lost the overview which is not happening for me in GoW3. And maybe that's just me, but the fighting mechanics in GoW3 feel so much better now since GoW2 - they just brought it to perfection.

I'm honestly not trying to be a jerk here, but it sounds like you couldn't...handle...the awesomeness?

No shame in that. GoW3's combat system being complex (it isn't) isn't what you're paying $60 for.

eggandI

Banned
Mailenstein said:
Huh? The first 20somewhat minutes in God of War 3 are breathtaking - never really experienced anything similar to that. Just EPIC.
I experienced Bayonetta fighting mechanics rather chaotic compared to God of War 3. Don't get me wrong, it was absolutely playable, no question, but at times I just lost the overview which is not happening for me in GoW3. And maybe that's just me, but the fighting mechanics in GoW3 feel so much better now since GoW2 - they just brought it to perfection.

GoW3 is ridiculously more interesting than Bayonetta. GoW3 is the second game (first being Demon's Souls) this gen where I can say the word Epic truly fits. Bayonetta may have more gameplay fluff, but that is just means to an end. Not like either game is terribly challenging. In bayonetta you can do more combos while enemies float in the air like they are in zero g. In GoW you can just rip their throats out or break their backs. Just means to an end, is all.

eggandI said:
GoW3 is ridiculously more interesting than Bayonetta. GoW3 is the second game (first being Demon's Souls) this gen where I can say the word Epic truly fits. Bayonetta may have more gameplay fluff, but that is just means to an end.

Dirtyshubb said:
A 5 for AVP?!?

I know it may not have all the fancy bells and whistles that modern games have but its still a damn fun game and definitly deserves more than that.

Old school game design doesn't fly for game journalism anymore.

Kandrick

GAF's Ed McMahon
lorddarkflare said:

Yeah who cares about a super fine gameplay when you can have something AS EPIC AS GOD OF WAR. BLOOD ALL OVER MY FACE!

Bayonetta getting way too much shit from God of war fans.

eggandI

Banned
Kandrick said:
Yeah who cares about a super fine gameplay when you can have something AS EPIC AS GOD OF WAR. DID YOU SEE THAT BLOOD!!!!
It's useless when the enemies are mere punching bags, the bosses are glorified punching bags and there is no multiplayer to speak of. You got all these little extra features but in the end it's pretty much overkill. You can mash in both games and be perfectly fine. GoW3's style and mythos is infinitely more interesting so yeah, I'd say GoW3 >>> Bayonetta.

BTW, this is my first God of War game. So I wouldn't really call myself a fan of the series.

MYE

Dabanton said:
Because you asked nicely.

eur9sj.gif

Thank you so much.
I love that gif :lol

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
now I feel like playing the game of the year/action game of the generation for, like, the fifth time.

nib95

Banned
rezuth said:
After Bayonetta I'm somewhat disappointed with God of War 3. The series lost the whole "I can't believe I'm playing this" and best combat after the madness that was Bayonetta.

Well, I'm probably not far enough in to Bayonetta to make final judgement (couldn't help but start GOW3 instead), but in the first 10 minutes of GOW3 alone you see more "I can't believe I'm playing this" than in everything I've played of Bayonetta thus far. It's not just that either, but I feel the boss battles in GOW3 are far more polished, well thought out and ultimately "fun". It's not just a case of bigger is better either. Whilst some of the bosses are huge spectacles that have you doing things you literally never thought you'd be doing in a video game (at least not this generation), others are more grounded "personal" affairs. Every boss I've fought in Bayonetta so far just seems so much less compelling and "messier" if that makes sense. The sense of polish and delivery of narrative between the two games also differs massively.

When I saw that Edge gave Bayonetta a 10 (on the front cover of the box), I was thinking that it was either another example of how ridiculous Edge's opinions are (especially their 10's), and how much of a farce the "they use the entire 10 scale" defense was. Or, I was hoping I'd stand happily corrected and be absolutely blown away by the game beyond measure. Lets just say it wasn't the latter.

neorej

ERMYGERD!
GoW3 score is as to be expected.
it's flawless 10, but one point reduction for being singleplayer only and the obligatory 1 point reduction for being PS3-exclusive

tzare

Kandrick said:
Yeah who cares about a super fine gameplay when you can have something AS EPIC AS GOD OF WAR. BLOOD ALL OVER MY FACE!

Bayonetta getting way too much shit from God of war fans.
i see it the other way, GOW is getting too much shit from Bayonetta fans. I just see them as different approaches, incomparable. But people keep doing so.

Fersis

It is illegal to Tag Fish in Tag Fishing Sanctuaries by law 38.36 of the GAF Wildlife Act
KAGARI NOOOO!
Dont do it! Dont !

Dennis

Banned
I haven't played most of those games so I wouldn't know if I agree with the scores.

Except for AvP, that score seems pretty low, I would say it is an above average shooter worthy of a 7 or 8, but I guess it is a pretty polarizing score.

It is good to see they have the guts to score FFXIII a 5, though. Reading other reviews you get the feeling the game have a lot of problems but in the end the reviewer chickens out and give a 8 or 9.

Huggers

Amir0x said:
I've seen many games that score a 3 or a 4 on their scale.

But, think of it this way. Just like it's semi-rare for a game to be as good as a 9 or 10 on EDGE's scale, it's also semi-rare for a game to be as bad as a 1 or 2 on the scale. There simply aren't that many games that are so fucking broken that they deserve a 1 or a 2, much like there simply aren't that many games that are so awesome in their high quality that they should receive a 9 or a 10.

Not only this but they are somewhat selective over what they review so many games that would get 2s or 3s or whatever are just ignored.

EDGE is easily the best gaming journalism out there. The majority of people in these threads bitching have never even read it.Their scores are all accompanied by a piece of text that people like to conveniently ignore and then go ape shit when their current video game darling only scores a shockingly low 8/10

edit and lol at someone complaining about the AvP score. A 5 is generous if anything

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
I love God of War, but it's always been a junk food series for me.

I mean, every time I drop by God of War, Call of Duty or Uncharted, I love my meal and can't wait to drop by again and again, but every now and then I'm treated to a delicacy, such as Resident Evil 4 or Half-Life 2 or Bayonetta or REmake or Grim Fandango that, while I don't eat them as often and sometimes they have strange quirks, are much more memorable and exciting to me. I feel more invested in them.

They're the tens, but they're rare.

Fersis

It is illegal to Tag Fish in Tag Fishing Sanctuaries by law 38.36 of the GAF Wildlife Act
McBradders said:
Fucking A, another PS3 exclusive shitting up yet another thread.
Isnt about FFXIII score?.

People crying about 8/10 need to chill out.

Kandrick

GAF's Ed McMahon
The Hug Dog said:
Not only this but they are somewhat selective over what they review so many games that would get 2s or 3s or whatever are just ignored.

EDGE is easily the best gaming journalism out there. The majority of people in these threads bitching have never even read it.Their scores are all accompanied by a piece of text that people like to conveniently ignore and then go ape shit when their current video game darling only scores a shockingly low 8/10

edit and lol at someone complaining about the AvP score. A 5 is generous if anything

I agree with you. Some people got used to games getting 10/10 9/10 from a lot of places that give them out like candy.

To me 5 out of a 1/10 scale is more like a game that some people might enjoy, but with many flaws that even some fans of the genre/series might not like.

Lunchbox

Banned
neorej said:
it's flawless 10, but one point reduction for being singleplayer only and the obligatory 1 point reduction for being PS3-exclusive[/spoiler]

-1 for not being made by british people

so gow3 actually scored a 11

2San

eggandI said:
It's useless when the enemies are mere punching bags, the bosses are glorified punching bags and there is no multiplayer to speak of. You got all these little extra features but in the end it's pretty much overkill. You can mash in both games and be perfectly fine. GoW3's style and mythos is infinitely more interesting so yeah, I'd say GoW3 >>> Bayonetta.

BTW, this is my first God of War game. So I wouldn't really call myself a fan of the series.
Did you only play normal mode or something? You know if you turn up the difficulty it gets harder. Not to mention Bayonetta has challenges which are pretty fun as well. Not to mention the differences in weapons actually matter. How are the extra features overkill they all give you options to get a distinct play style and give replay value. Yeah you can mash buttons in normal mode, try cranking up the difficulty settings. Normal mode is just an introduction. Honestly GoW3's style and mythos, I'll give GoW that it makes more sense, but it's not like it's the epitome of writing. And I prefer Bayo's style at least it doesn't take itself seriously.

Look you have different priorities in games. People who prefer Bayonetta are people who like gameplay, people who prefer GoW put more interest in the wow factor you have no control over. I like to have control over my games, and where the coolest shit that happens is done by myself.
Kandrick said:
I agree with you. Some people got used to games getting 10/10 9/10 from a lot of places that give them out like candy.

To me 5 out of a 1/10 scale is more like a game that some people might enjoy, but with many flaws that even some fans of the genre/series might not like.
Pretty much would anyone recommend a game like FFXIII as a first game to people new to the genre?

Though to be honest, 5 is a bit too harsh imo, but hell opinions are opinions. :O

MYE

McBradders said:
Fucking A, another PS3 exclusive shitting up yet another thread.

Nothing new.
I'l be surprised when a precious PS3 exclusive doesnt shit up threads left and right.

JDSN

Banned
Just buy PSM, they have always been superior cos they like stuff that is made by non-british developers and dont have a pro-MS/Nintendo/Mac agenda.

eggandI said:
GoW3 is ridiculously more interesting than Bayonetta. GoW3 is the second game (first being Demon's Souls) this gen where I can say the word Epic truly fits. Bayonetta may have more gameplay fluff, but that is just means to an end. Not like either game is terribly challenging. In bayonetta you can do more combos while enemies float in the air like they are in zero g. In GoW you can just rip their throats out or break their backs. Just means to an end, is all.

Dawg, GAMEPLAY FLUFF? Bayonetta is about COMBAT. That is not fluff, that is Bayonetta.

AniHawk

Net_Wrecker said:
Dawg, GAMEPLAY FLUFF? Bayonetta is about COMBAT. That is not fluff, that is Bayonetta.

no, all that stuff is basically a glorified fast-forward button to move you from cutscene to cutscene.

MYE

Rez said:

Yeah but its some of the best junk food around.

Its as subtle, smart and refined as a kick in the balls, but its probably the best in its genre and it does what its supposed to do wonderfully.
Cant wait to give it a go :)

tzare

Rez said:

I mean, every time I drop by God of War, Call of Duty or Uncharted, I love my meal and can't wait to drop by again and again, but every now and then I'm treated to a delicacy, such as Resident Evil 4 or Half-Life 2 or Bayonetta or REmake or Grim Fandango that, while I don't eat them as often and sometimes they have strange quirks, are much more memorable and exciting to me. I feel more invested in them.

They're the tens, but they're rare.

that is fine, but some people feel that those games that are memorable are those Uncharteds, CODs or GOWs, and those that just happen to be a snack are bayonnettas or RE4. It is just a personal thing.
Edge should stop scoring reviews. But they can't. Scores are the 'casual' part of reviews, and edge stay there just like any other, including IGN

Aad

As said before EDGE uses the full scale 1-10, I saw this on another forum

10: Sublime
9: Outstanding
8: Excellent
7: Great
6: Good
5: Average
4: Poor
3: Terrible
2: Awful
1: Why bother?

IIRC EGDE gave FFX a 5 too.

EDIT: FFX got a 6.

AniHawk said:
no, all that stuff is basically a glorified fast-forward button to move you from cutscene to cutscene.

No, cutscenes are breaks in epicness for you to catch your breathe until the next gameplay segment.:D

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
MYE said:

Its as subtle, smart and refined as a kick in the balls, but its probably the best in its genre and it does what its supposed to do wonderfully.
yeah, Dante's Inferno really made me appreciate what SSM have done with the series. I was hesitant to buy the GoW: Collection, but I'm glad I did. It was a great ~20 hour reminder of why the series is amazing.

nib95 said:
Edge are a laughable outlet. Never understood the draw towards this lacklustre, pretentious and inconsistent mag.

No worries. For people like you there is the Official <insert name of console> Magazine. BTW sold by the same publishers as Edge. ;)

MYE

tzare said:
that is fine, but some people feel that those games that are memorable are those Uncharteds, CODs or GOWs, and those that just happen to be a snack are bayonnettas or RE4. It is just a personal thing.
Edge should stop scoring reviews. But they can't. Scores are the 'casual' part of reviews, and edge stay there just like any other, including IGN

Anyone that considers RE4 snack food over COD deserves a taser charge up the asshole

AniHawk

MYE said:

What genre is GOW III exactly. Because I always thought of it as an action game but people say that it's wrong because I should stop comparing it directly to Bayonetta but whatever genre each one belongs to, they look like they're pretty much the same to me.

Kandrick

GAF's Ed McMahon
NemesisPrime said:
No worries. For people like you there is the Official <insert name of console> Magazine. BTW sold by the same publishers as Edge. ;)

Is Future publishing every videogame magazine that still exists ? :lol

tzare

NemesisPrime said:
so edge is just suited for gamers with taste? I see. the ones who do not like it are just casual gamers.

Top Bottom