• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

EDGE Magazine - Issue 213 Scores

itsinmyveins said:
So.

Killzone 2 got a 7.

Heavy Rain got a 7.

God of War 3 got an 8.

Mass Effect 2 got a 9 and Halo 3 got a 10.

I just wanted to remind you guys.
I'm not seeing anything surprising there. Those scores echo my feelings, except for GoW3 which I haven't played yet and maybe Heavy Rain scoring too high.

itsinmyveins

Gets to pilot the crappy patrol labors
lorddarkflare said:
I suppose the intent is to illustrate that these mean nothing since they are just numbers and we do not know the content of the reviews.

If so, I agree.

No, it's meant to bait the shit out of whiny people :lol

tzare

itsinmyveins said:
So.

Killzone 2 got a 7.

Heavy Rain got a 7.

God of War 3 got an 8.

ME got an 7 if i remember correctly, and it is a better game than the second i'd say, which is only better on the technical side and probably, budget

nib95

Banned
number1jagsfan said:
Ugh, your attitude is just all wrong. Big budget games automatically deserve better scores, I don't even know how to respond to that.

Eh, you misread my point. It's not just that they are big budget titles (I didn't even know Bioshock was a big budget title? Didn't it cost less to make than Prototype?) it's just they are generally better games with far more polish and sophistication in design, delivery, tech, visuals, art direction, sound, polish, narrative, level design etc etc. And the general consensus would tend to agree. It's not some sort of conspiracy that these bigger budget big titles tend to do better review wise, it's usually because of the time and money invested that developers CAN make these particular titles better (not always mind).

WrikaWrek

Banned
tzare said:
ME got an 7 if i remember correctly, and it is a better game than the second i'd say, which is only better on the technical side and probably, budget

I would say Mass Effect 2 is better than Mass Effect in every single way, by a margin it ain't even funny.

I would give ME1 a 7 and ME2 a 9.

Durante

fortified_concept said:
Fair and balanced.
I don't think Edge is biased at all. They just don't even try to pretend to create "objective" reviews, like many publications do. As such, it's not surprising that their scores can be completely different from someone else's personal evaluation of the game -- they are also just the expression of a single opinion.

Durante said:
I don't think Edge is biased at all. They just don't even try to pretend to create "objective" reviews, like many publications do. As such, it's not surprising that their scores can be completely different from someone else's personal evaluation of the game -- they are also just the expression of a single opinion.

Which is why the text is so important.

There is no attempted objectivity. It is a well presented and supported opinion.

They are not there to help you decide whether purchasing the game is in your best interest.

WrikaWrek

Banned
One thing you won't get from EDGE is, you read the text and think "Man, game is taking a beating" and then look at the score "Wow a 9, i must buy this game"

Ainigma

Neo Member
itsinmyveins said:
So.

Killzone 2 got a 7.

Heavy Rain got a 7.

God of War 3 got an 8.

At the end of the day it's just their opinion, but what some might find interesting (and this is not a criticism of the scores for ME 2 or Halo 3) is that the review scores for Mass Effect 2 and Halo 3 are consistent with what the rest of the gaming world thought, but the killzone 2, Heavy Rain and God of War 3 scores, are currently sitting in the lowest 3 or 4 scores each game has received (using Meta Critic)

()

nib95 said:
Eh, you misread my point. It's not just that they are big budget titles (I didn't even know Bioshock was a big budget title? Didn't it cost less to make than Prototype?) it's just they are generally better games with far more polish and sophistication in design, delivery, tech, visuals, art direction, sound, polish, narrative, level design etc etc. And the general consensus would tend to agree. It's not some sort of conspiracy that these bigger budget big titles tend to do better review wise, it's usually because of the time and money invested that developers CAN make these particular titles better (not always mind).

Okay, fair enough. I still totally disagree though, you can have just as much, if not more, fun with some of these "unpolished" titles than you can with the titles that you mention, and I think it is wrong to suggest that they somehow deserve lower review scores. It's like you simply can't believe that anyone could have more fun playing Prototype than Bioshock or GOW 3.

tzare

WrikaWrek said:
I would say Mass Effect 2 is better than Mass Effect in every single way, by a margin it ain't even funny.

i'd give them both a 8. Halo 3 shouldn't have that 10, LBP neither.
SFIV should have an 7: no innovation, same characters as SF2 but it scored better than BB. Weird. Inconsistent scores.

Shurs

Alice in Wonderland - Great
Aliens vs Predator - Average
Battlefield Bad Company 2 - Excellent
BlazBlue - Excellent
Calling - Average
Final Fantasy XIII - Average
God of War 3 - Excellent
Infinite Space - Excellent
Just Cause 2 - Great
No More Heros 2 - Great
P.B. Winterbottom - Excellent
Sakura Wars: So Long, My Love - Great
White Knight Chronicles - Average
Yakuza 3 - Good

If they did away with the numbers, these threads would be a lot less interesting.

Truant

itsinmyveins said:
So.

Killzone 2 got a 7.

Heavy Rain got a 7.

God of War 3 got an 8.

Halo 3 is a 6.

Heavy Rain is a 5.

I'M A REVIEWER

Durante said:

...and just like Fox News inconsistency in the way they approach certain subjects doesn't matter amongst people who hear what they want to hear.

Btw it's a different matter and a banned meme but since they're both RPGs I'll risk it. Having played both WKC (which is mediocre to say the least) and Dragon Age it's nice to know Edge thinks they're both just a s bad. Really shows how insane their review scale is.

EDarkness

WrikaWrek said:

I agree with the first guy. ME2 wasn't anywhere near the first game. Maybe better technically, but the game wasn't as good in my opinion.

itsinmyveins

Gets to pilot the crappy patrol labors
Ainigma said:
At the end of the day it's just their opinion, but, what some might find interesting, is that the review scores for Mass Effect 2 and Halo 3 are consistent with what the rest of the gaming world thought, but the killzone 2, Heavy Rain and God of War 3 scores, are currently sitting in the lowest 3 or 4 scores each game has received (using Meta Critic)

I remember reading the Halo 3 review and a lot of the praise was based on the surrounding community online, i.e. the way you can record matches, share pictures and build your own type of games with Forge and what not. I don't agree with their score, but I understand the motivation behind it. I think that was a huge deal in putting it past a 9/10 score.

jhenedo

Banned
Truth be told. If i was a CASUAL magazine subcriber to edge i sure as well would not have a ps3. So definately lucky for me i'm not a casual subscriber and already have a ps3 to play MGS4,gow3's,uncharteds and killzones.:D

I'm pretty sure someone already said this but I'll just say it again:

EDGE SCORE THREADS ARE POINTLESS AND STUPID!

Who cares about that number they just slap at the end of each review?

WrikaWrek said:
One thing you won't get from EDGE is, you read the text and think "Man, game is taking a beating" and then look at the score "Wow a 9, i must buy this game"

I take it you never read the Mario Sunshine review? I remember it was 3 pages of flaws ending with a paragraph that went something like " for all its faults Sunshine is still the 2nd best 3d platformer made, enjoy. 9/10.

...and just like Fox News inconsistency in the way they approach certain subjects doesn't matter amongst people who hear what they want to hear.

People like you, you mean?

I mean how many months have you been shitting up EDGE threads for? How about you make a thread for all these magazines that are completely objective :lol instead of derailing this one?

EagleEyes

EDarkness said:
I agree with the first guy. ME2 wasn't anywhere near the first game. Maybe better technically, but the game wasn't as good in my opinion.
I agree with the second guy. ME2 crapped all over the the first one and it will be a shame if it doesnt pick up plenty of awards at the end of the year. 10/10 :p

KingGondo

Banned
For anyone who didn't bother to actually read the FFXIII review, they simply say that while the game does have redeeming qualities, it's questionable whether all the bullshit you have to plow through to get to the good stuff is worth the investment.

Sounds like a mediocre game to me. Think of it as a "two star" movie review. Makes much more sense in that context.

And GoW3 getting an 8 is probably about what I expected. Fantastically executed over-the-top action, but nothing revolutionary. Still can't wait. :D

WrikaWrek

Banned
Capt'n Farrell said:
I'm pretty sure someone already said this but I'll just say it again:

EDGE SCORE THREADS ARE POINTLESS AND STUPID!

Who cares about that number they just slap at the end of each review?

For those who know the magazine, the score reflects what they think of the game and doesn't feel like its own thing compared to the text review.

If anything, EDGE is one of the few where i can look at the score and predict what EDGE wrote.

EagleEyes said:
I agree with the second guy. ME2 crapped all over the the first one and it will be a shame if it doesnt pick up plenty of awards at the end of the year. 10/10 :p

Fuckin A.

Safe Bet

Banned
Dirtyshubb said:
A 5 for AVP?!?

I know it may not have all the fancy bells and whistles that modern games have but its still a damn fun game and definitly deserves more than that.
If we're using the entire scale...

No it doesn't.

Shurs

10: Sublime
9: Outstanding
8: Excellent
7: Great
This is four ways of saying that a game is awesome.

6: Good
5: Average
This is two ways of saying that a game might be worth your time.

4: Poor
3: Terrible
2: Awful
1: Why bother?
This is four ways of saying that a game sucks.

The ten point scale is worthless.

Kibbles

Danielsan said:
Surprised God of War 3 didn't get a 7 as per Edge tradition.

Does it really have any lasting value? I'm sure it's a great game, but I don't play GoW 1 or 2 still.

eggandI said:
GoW3 is ridiculously more interesting than Bayonetta. GoW3 is the second game (first being Demon's Souls) this gen where I can say the word Epic truly fits. Bayonetta may have more gameplay fluff, but that is just means to an end. Not like either game is terribly challenging. In bayonetta you can do more combos while enemies float in the air like they are in zero g. In GoW you can just rip their throats out or break their backs. Just means to an end, is all.

Gameplay fluff?

What the fuckkkkkkkkk?

I'm really sorry I read this post.

Merguson

Banned
Anyone know what else the EDGE magazine features?

I enjoyed reading EDGE 212 and read it several times. That's something I never could do with other gaming magazines.

jhenedo

Banned
KingGondo said:
For anyone who didn't bother to actually read the FFXIII review, they simply say that while the game does have redeeming qualities, it's questionable whether all the bullshit you have to plow through to get to the good stuff is worth the investment.

Sounds like a mediocre game to me. Think of it as a "two star" movie review. Makes much more sense in that context.

And GoW3 getting an 8 is probably about what I expected. Fantastically executed over-the-top action, but nothing revolutionary. Still can't wait. :D

So nowadays only revolutionary games get full points? Now this is the biggest difference between movie reviewers and game reviewers. EXECUTION of an idea is should be regarded just as highly as a NEW idea!!! But a new idea with poor execution is TERRIBLE no matter how well you spin it. C'mon people!

McBradders

NeoGAF: my new HOME
evalue said:
is this allowed on gaf

Apparantly yes, because it actually happens. PS3 exclusive reviews unfavourably, posters appear with coincidentally-appropriate-to-subject-matter-at-hands-avatars, thread goes to shit.

It was extra exciting during anything mentioniong or genre relevant to Killzone 2 because they brought the GIF's too. Always awesome.

jhenedo said:
So nowadays only revolutionary games get full points? Now this is the biggest difference between movie reviewers and game reviewers. EXECUTION of an idea is should be regarded just as highly as a NEW idea!!! But a new idea with poor execution is TERRIBLE no matter how well you spin it. C'mon people!

Strawman alert.

Also, you make the assumption that not being 'revolutionary' is the only flaw.

jhenedo

Banned
PepsimanVsJoe said:
Gameplay fluff?

What the fuckkkkkkkkk?

I'm really sorry I read this post.

Games are for entertainment. If he enjoys the game as a package(which is also the non-gamestuff like presentation) why be so suprised? At my age, i can not finish games like bayonetta because the story and presentation do not hold my interest but that does not make it less of a better game and so should proper presentation and story. In short,gow3 and bayonetta are both good games that execute different things better than the other. I prefer gow3 because of the reasons i have stated above.

Leatherface

I'm sorry, Bayonetta may be a fun time, but it's definitely not a 10 worthy game. lol

I have yet to play the final version of GOW3, but I'm willing to bet it's a much better experience. I'll hand it to edge though, they really know how to spark up the gaming community with controversy. :lol

jhenedo

Banned
lorddarkflare said:
Strawman alert.

Also, you make the assumption that not being 'revolutionary' is the only flaw.

Isn't it always? Especially for publications like edge and gamestrailers? And again in the case i was replying to that is what HE implied.

Durante

jhenedo said:
Isn't it always? Especially for publications like edge and gamestrailers? And again in the case i was replying to that is what HE implied.
I actually don't think Edge cares much about gameplay innovation. Just look at their Valkyria Chronicles score.

Ainigma

Neo Member
jhenedo said:

Sometimes this may appear true, Edge recently do seem to review a game that does something new higher, like Bayonetta, which is an incredible game, but what about uncharted 2 and now GOW3? Uncharted especially, took many things that has been done before but created something that has never been done that well before, this in my opinion deserves the same recognition. I know uncharted 2 got a 9, but it deserved a 10 :lol

do people seriously, honestly believe that other people get together and start entire publications for the sole purpose of subliminally promoting specific videogames made by specific vast international corporations from specific areas of the world?

i'm just...these threads, every month, they really make me wonder about people.

"wtf halo 3 got a 10"
"well so did littlebigplanet"
"but that's just cos it's from the UK"
"well so's haze, and that got a 5"
"but that really was shit"

ad infinitum. for heaven's sake, edge is a magazine written by people who say what they think about videogames, and if you think there's anything more to it than that you need to open the window a bit.

Top Bottom