• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

EDGE: "Power struggle: the real differences between PS4 and Xbox One performance"

Toki767

"without optimisation for either console"

Of course the console with the greater raw power will do better without optimisation. That's why optimisation exists...

I think the fear might be that developers don't even attempt to optimize the PS4 version of games and spend all their time getting the Xbox One version up to par.

Will Mr. Penello and Major Nelson be coming to this thread to explain or disregard these claims?

Looking forward to it if they do.

From the looks of things, next-gen has the tables flipped.

So most 3rd party games will be built on the lowest denominator and then ported to PS4 for ease of development? Just like last gen I suppose, doesn't surprise me it makes sense for business reasons.

I think most of them will be built around a relatively high-specced PC then ported down. We heard the rumour porting CoD across platforms. That's why they are already struggling with the Xbox vs. the PS4.

YM0Vy6ZSe.gif

I guess my next gen console is going to be a PS4 then...

Honestly MS. Why did you go so cheap and fuck it up. The person(s) who decided to not go for high end graphics should be fired.

They didn't go cheap. They just went for a different market, going for the whole blue ocean rather than mainly gamers. It makes sense, the Xbox 360 and Wii did very well because of it. Why not try again?

That's where you get the Kinect, SHAPE, and multimedia focus. That's why they went with 8GB of RAM of the bat because without 8GB, you'd be hard pressed to store a game, snap to a few Windows apps, and switch between apps seamlessly.

Then Sony announced their console somehow had 8GB of GDDR5 memory and I imagine that's where things got really messy at Microsoft.

goomba

Banned
When both consoles are equally appealing in featureset and both consoles have plenty of games coming, but one is 100$ cheaper and receives the best looking and best running versions of all the multiplatform games (IE. 90% of games today), i'd say it's not that bad of a deal.

Your assumption that "more powerful" equals "less sales" is completely nonsensical.
It's about price, general consumer appeal and games. Lots of games.

Firstly where did i state which will sell more? I merely pointed out that history has never favored the most powerful console yet so many here are acting as if ps4's power is it's most important factor.

Secondly they are not equal in feature set, one comes with kinect.

So it's safe to say that any PS4 game that isn't graphically blowing an X1 is devs being lazy? All these dev reports make it sound like that.

No. It would require extra work from devs to downgrade ps4 builds to match xbone.

Lazy dev = ps4 games superior
Hardworking dev = ps4/xbone games equal

owasog

Microsoft “has been late on their drivers and that has been hurting them,” said one source. Another described Xbox One’s graphics drivers less charitably as “horrible”.
Only 2 months from launch and the drivers are still horrible? Wow. just wow.

DogMeat77

Something something titanfall being seen.

Hopefully MS, like Sony before them - learns from their gaff (seewhatIdidthere?) this generation and comes back stronger. Competition in the marketplace benefits all of us so I really hope the xbox division stays strong and doesn't get lost with the new CEO.

That is massive

Can't believe Microsoft fumbled the ball so bad for next gen.

Not that hard if you have been paying attention to them and their attitude change since 2008-09 in regards to the xbox brand.

They are going to have to bring it on the exclusive game front an bring it hard.

Exclusives, exclusives, exclusives, tv should be their outlook the rest of the gen...

Slayer-33

Liverpool-2
Serious thought.

Can't all multiplat games for XBO be kept on that same level graphically as ps4 mp games but with a lower draw distance to keep full parity?

Ghost

Chili Con Carnage!
Wow so they are talking about basically running 1080 on PS4 vs 720 on X1?

As people say if the X1 is cheaper or at least has price parity that's one thing but when you're charging more you can't be that far behind in terms of performance and expect consumers (especially early adopters who are predominantly core gamers) not to flock to the other platform.

Wonder if MS will do something crazy like re-engineer and relaunch next year. I guess it's probably more likely that they'll try and quickly reduce price which might mean so long kinect.

Ushae

Banned
I honestly would be fine if the extra power just prevents framerate drops, tearing, bad aliasing, and non-native resolutions, although developers might compromise on 1080p across the board anyway.

This is my thinking too. The XB1 version will serve as a baseline for most multiplats. PS4 will be a safety that will suffer little to no frame drops and probably slightly higher resolution (that over 90% of folk cannot differentiate). First party is where the real action will be for either console.

Edit: Hang on, these statements are regarding raw performance without optimizations? *facepalm*

Toki767

Wow so they are talking about basically running 1080 on PS4 vs 720 on X1?

As people say if the X1 is cheaper or at least has price parity that's one thing but when you're charging more you can't be that far behind in terms of performance and expect consumers (especially early adopters who are predominantly core gamers) not to flock to the other platform.

Wonder if MS will do something crazy like re-engineer and relaunch next year.
There is no way Microsoft will give Sony a holiday by themselves.

Sweep14

Yeah, this is a pretty big deal. A significant part of the console's extra power may go unused, which would be a shame for PS4 owners.

Indeed. This is something that Sony will have to cautiously monitor. Adam Boyes should better be ready to fight for this not to happen. If PS4 version is better, it should remain as is.

CLEEK

Wonder if MS will do something crazy like re-engineer and relaunch next year.

Nope, they'll just send their top brass to GAF to claim with 'sums' and 'math' that the Xbone is in fact more powerful than the PS4 and everyone else - including your own eyes - is wrong.

unless xb1 sell significantly more than ps4, there's no way ms can enforce parity, and even if they can, some publishers that are more closely aligned to Sony or Japan market will probably ignore it. do you really imagine Kojima gimping PS4 version of MGS in favor of XB1? most of their userbase are in Playstation, and Kojima care enough that he even fix ZoE collection for PS3.

given how quick people are to try to discredit EVERY SINGLE THING SAYING THIS NO MATTER THE SOURCE, I have a strong feeling that when we get the multiplatform comparisons, that sure, a lot of people will be saying 'The Xbone version is pretty close. The differences don't really bother me.' but that some of them will be utterly dying inside.

At this stage before the PS3 came out we KNEW it was much harder to code for, and some of us (that'd include me) were saying it could be years before the PS3 can demonstrate its hardware advantage. Obviously we were right. That was based on word coming from developers. That was based on how hard the system was to code for and how poor Sony's dev tools were in comparison to Microsofts.

It wasn't based on unicorns and wishes.

If you're looking at the same sources this time around, it's pretty obvious that we're going to see a difference in multiplatform games AT LAUNCH. With advantage PS4.

TheD

The Detective
Proof is in the pudding. PS3 was supposed to make 360 look like Xbox 1.5.

We all know how that turned out

How many times does sit have to be said for people to understand?
This is nothing like the PS3 vs 360!
The PS3's advantage was in it's CPU that had to be explicitly programmed for, the PS4's advantage is that it's GPU bigger in regards to the number of CUs and ROPs.

Claiming that the PS3 and PS4 are anything alike in that regard is the same as saying that games on PC need to be reprogrammed to run faster on more powerful graphics cards!

Hoo-doo

Banned
In my eyes, it's just silly to think that PS4 versions will be "downgraded" because it might make Microsoft mad.
I mean, what self-respecting developer would purposefully gimp the experience of their new big game because one of the platform holders might get angry.

"No wait Bob, is that game running at 60 frames per second? That will not do! Limit the frames to 25, quickly!"
"Also, could you muddy up these textures a little, they look a little too crisp, see?"

If anything, Sony should help out and incentivise the fuck out of these devs to have them polish PS4 versions of games to a mirror sheen in favor of more marketing exposure and promotion deals.

Try telling that to anyone who tried to play Skyrim on the PS3 ;)

The PS3 was supposedly the more powerful console. But the only games that showed me that were Uncharted 3 and God Of War 3. I am not biased either way, but I am sick of the Power argument, and just want great games.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
Feels like we've seen a lot of these articles, but this one does go pretty in depth on the whole thing. Lots of sources confirming stuff.

we have, but it is good to see Edge quoting 'multiple, high level sources', which should hopefully give the comments much more weight than previous more anecdotal ones.

Derpcrawler

I expect same situation but vice versa for next-gen HD twins. PS3 will get games with full 1080p locked 30FPS and better AA, Xbox will have most things run at sub-1080p and/or having dips bellow locked 30FPS and worse AA.

But I will be interested to see game(s) from Naughty Dogs. They used some serious wizardry on PS3, to make somewhat weaker hardware shit all over the exclusives on somewhat more powerful hardware this gen.

dino1980

No. It would require extra work from devs to downgrade ps4 builds to match xbone.

Lazy dev = ps4 games superior
Hardworking dev = ps4/xbone games equal

They would just v-sync the ps4-version to 30fps when it could infact do 45fps. For xbox1 they would target so it barely reaching 30fps.

eshwaaz

So they cheaped out so they could still pack a Kinect in there. At least that is what I would assume. I bet without the "smart" idea to have a Kinect in there with every console some of the design decision would have been different.
It sure looks that way. Weaker hardware and $100 more for a device many people don't even want. So disappointing regardless of the reasoning behind it.

a platform-agnostic development build can run at around 30FPS in 1920×1080 on PS4, but it’ll run at “20-something” FPS in 1600×900 on Xbox One.

That's in the ballpark of what I was expecting to hear given the specs. At least initially I'm expecting devs to seek parity in terms of resolution and let the frame-rate and maybe certain effects take the hit.

better to “castrate” the PS4 version and release near-identical games to avoid ruffling any feathers.

This claim was later countered by a contact at a different studio. “It would be totally fine for us to make one version prettier without any political difficulties but it usually doesn’t make financial sense,” they said, “unless it’s a very simple tweak.”

Yup, no surprise there.

turk3y

Banned
That is a jarring difference between the two consoles.
I guess multiplats are going to be developed for the lowest common denominator so they will run equally well on both systems with a chance of PS4 running them better?

Another story for the exclusives.

resolution and assets are fairly easy to scale so if it was that huge a gulf it would be trivial for a developer to make one look better,

you would see one held back in computational tasks like physics that could alter main code and cause testing and other development differences tho.

If this is true we will see resolution differences out the gate, if its not true we will not and there will be a visual parity.

The quote they use does shed some other light to the situation.

"a platform-agnostic development build"

ie we run the same stuff on both, given the PS4 seems a stock CPU and GPU (the compute stuff is unlikely to be used atm) then yes the developer is confirming neither company have lied with their high level specs and we are seeing expected results. They are saying there is no special sauce, this is not news.

What it does not cover is what happens one these builds go through massage to use each consoles specific strengths. What happens once the dedicated hardware in the Xbox is put to use, what happens when the developer actually things about their render pipeline and starts to use the ESRAM etc. Likewise when developers start to experiment with the more abundant GPU on the PS4 for extra GPGPU.

At the moment developers are having a hard time, they have had poor drivers, non final spec's and they are targeting more consoles than every as they also often have 360 and PS3 ports on the go also.

yes it would appear the Xbox takes slightly more work than porting a PC build to it but as the console game is all about refinement and optimization this is not a bad thing as developers will be doing this anyway.

Pie and Beans

Look for me on the local news, I'll be the guy arrested for trying to burn down a Nintendo exec's house.
That castration talk pisses me off. So potential for the Xbone to hold all multi-plats back unless PS4 starts getting a ridiculous gulf of a lead where they can say "fuck em".

Massa

Those brilliant DirectX engineers need to stop feeding the PR with bullshit numbers and get to work on those drivers.

Perkel

Banned
Serious thought.

Can't all multiplat games for XBO be kept on that same level graphically as ps4 mp games but with a lower draw distance to keep full parity?

No. They will just scale things down a bit and hit resolution the most. Because casual gamers doesn't see difference on their mother 720p tv in resolution but he will instantly notice missing trees or less crowd in game compared to other version.

Top Bottom