• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

EDGE scores - issue 223 - January 2011 [Update: Next Month Teaser 164]

Such a thing as good art is highly subjective, I am always greatly amuse when people try to convince themselves that there is some kind of universal bad art that everyone should hate and vice versa.

mokeyjoe

flintstryker said:
Such a thing as good art is highly subjective, I am always greatly amuse when people try to convince themselves that there is some kind of universal bad art that everyone should hate and vice versa.

There is certainly such a thing as bad art and good art. But yes, objectivity can often be lost behind personal prejudices.

mokeyjoe said:
Well you seem quick enough to decide what's 'terrible', guess that makes you an expert too.
I don't know how I'm quick to decide. But No that's my opinion. And my opinion is based on what I think looks cool or not. But I don't think those that like Bayonatta's whatever are keen to fawn over generic crap and not know decent art if it smacked them in the face.

AAK said:
GOW3 should have at least been nominated for Visual Design. Or at least gotten SOME recognition for the Chronos sequence.

Yeah, I don't know who at Sony Santa Monica pissed in everyone's breakfast bowl, but the lack of respect shown by the nimrods in the gaming press for what the Santa Monica studio did with GOW3 is a real shame to me. I just played it for the first time earlier this month, and was blown away. Surely this game deserves to be mentioned with the best in gaming in at least a few categories this year.

DennisK4 said:
:lol Bayonetta

EDGE credibility ruined.

Seriously though, I cannot fathom the praise for Bayonneta.

And Edge is more out of thouch with gaming than ever before. UK gaming and in general. Last bastion of 'japanese games are just better'

If you can get past the "awkward" and the "stupid" in Bayonetta....it's a brilliant game.

Ranger X

The game is easy?

. Golden Sun: Dark Dawn - [8]

Quote:
An intelligent combat system, then, but one for which Camelot fails to find a suitable threat. Bar a few bosses, Dark Dawn is a pushover, never requiring you to brave the combat's depths.

Sold!!

DR2K

Banned
DennisK4 said:
:lol Bayonetta

EDGE credibility ruined.

Seriously though, I cannot fathom the praise for Bayonneta.

Great looking, great playing, tons of dept and content, fun story, unique setting/character/theme, awesome soundtrack, etc. . . It's more of an RPG than ME2 as well.

DR2K said:
Great looking, great playing, tons of dept and content, fun story, unique setting/character/theme, awesome soundtrack, etc. . . It's more of an RPG than ME2 as well.

Great game...agreed, but let's not go off the deep end.

Yagharek

Looking at those reviews:

8/10 for Hydroventure and Golden Sun makes me want to try them out

7/10 for CoD seems about right, perhaps even generous simply because of how unbalanced CoD multiplayer is in general (but you still keep playing, begrudgingly because friends do)

5/10 for Dead Nation - a game I was once interested in before PSN started annoying me due to final fight shenanigans - makes me not regret moving on from that service

6/10 for Ilomilo doesnt dissuade me from wanting to try it (not that any review necessarily would) since it looks and sounds like games of old I enjoyed eg Kula World/Marble Blast

GOTY for Mario Galaxy 2 puts a smile on my face.

Finally got my copy, why is no-one talking about the best bit of any EDGE, guessing what next month's preview is about :lol

5305161243_eceef249da.jpg

DuckRacer

Game Informer is debuting an unannounced game too; given that both magazines are releasing around the same time I wouldn't be surprised if they're showing the same thing. Which means it wouldn't be Forza 4 and the like.

So basically I'm guessing Mirror's Edge 2 too.

Nirolak said:
The orange/black color scheme and the sharp edges/random design would both fit.
I dunno why they'd go for some trifecta logo, it crossed my mind too, plus it doesn't really seem like Edge cover material to me. They're always interested in the concepts games are coming up with, what exactly can we expect from Forza that's new and interesting to talk about? It's going to be a really good racer, and have the best online feature set. As in previous iterations.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
Visualante said:
I dunno why they'd go for some trifecta logo, it crossed my mind too, plus it doesn't really seem like Edge cover material to me. They're always interested in the concepts games are coming up with, what exactly can we expect from Forza that's new and interesting to talk about? It's going to be a really good racer, and have the best online feature set. As in previous iterations.
Well, it is supposed to be heavily Kinect enabled, so perhaps it will focus on that.

Visualante said:

The black in the Trifecta can be seen as a 2.

PowderedToast

so why has K&L2 been completely overlooked in the visual and audio design departments? it's pretty egregious, and while I haven't seen any other awards from other publications I wouldn't be surprised if it was a common trait among them.

StuBurns

Banned
FZ would be a boring reveal, but probably. It kind of looks like a three legged Nazi sign, so I'm hoping for some neo-Nazi shit. Or Portal 2/Episode/HL 3, it could easily be something Aperture Science related.

512px-Aperture_Sciencesvg.png

I initially though it was the Abstergo logo, but once I googled to remind myself I realised it's sufficiently different to make me think of other options. Forza colour scheme matches, but I'm not seeing how that could tie into the 4th game.

I just went and dug out the last like 10 issues and the preview image sometimes suggests the contents of feature articles as well as games, but I'd lean towards a game for this one.

StuBurns

Banned
Maybe Armature are ready to announce their game. The logo is vaguely in keeping with the website design I think.

It also kind of reminds me of the MGS logo.

mgs4logo.jpg

I think the 3DS needs a new IP for hype
The DS had new IPs but so far the 3DS has only shown remakes and old IPs
and because of the way the logo is shaped I still say something 3D

that logo could also be the new PSP2 brand (a new name to be revealed maybe)

- I think most of the guesses here do not match the colors are off for FZ

big ander

Please be Mirror's Edge 2 or whatever Bungie Aerospace is. Or AC3 I guess, though I never got around to finishing AC2 or even starting AC:BH :lol

iceatcs

Don't think it do anything with 4 because it would be mirrored.

I hope it is one of new IP from Bungie

Top Bottom