• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Edge Special List: The 100 Greatest Video Games

Firemind

This list is so bad, they can't even follow their own rules.

(And yes, I know, while MM is technically a gaiden game, it's plainly set very soon after the events of OoT, and the only reason its events happen in the first place is because of a single event in Ocarina's ending. It's the textbook definition of a sequel.)

Oh, and......while I highly admire this line of thinking, why aren't the 3DS versions of both those games listed? Both of them give the games a huge visual makeover, and rework some needlessly frustrating elements (e.g., making the Iron Boots button items so you don't have to go all the way to the Equipment screen to put them on or take them off). They objectively hold up better than their original versions.

You want to make a Top ___ list, fine. Opinions are opinions and all that. But at least adhere to your own guidelines.
No they aren't. You can't account for taste. More advanced technology isn't everything. That's a bit like saying retellings of Bram Stoker's Dracula are objectively better than the original film because they're not grainy or in colour. It doesn't work that way. They both have their own strengths. The N64 version has a bigger screen, a light controller made for palm holding, rumbling, muslim chants, cool glitches, OP deku sticks, cosmetic stuff like visible blood in the bottom of the well and Ganon's blood being red etc. etc.

One does not invalidate the other. Same with Majora's Mask. The N64 version is decisively more creepy than the 3DS version.

I'm going to try and do my own 100. It's probably going to take a while. I have to first list every game I've played and then chuck off the bad ones and just the average ones.

ApharmdX

Banned
Edge loves them some Souls, eh? I'd put Dark Souls as a top-3 game of all time, on an actual all-time list. Bloodborne and Demon's Souls are probably top 50. A lot of that list is crazy, though, even as a modern-slanted GOAT ranking.

One Final Fantasy game on the list and they put XII

2885718-8800263791-laugh.gif

I'd put VI over XII but that's not totally ridiculous. FFXII had an amazing amount of goodness in it.

orborborb

I think my lists are more varied, though I certainly respect most of their choices.

-Overall Top 5-
1 Marathon Infinity
2 Dark Souls
3 Super Mario 64
4 Metroid
5 Minecraft

-Arcade-
Mr. Do!
Solomon's Key
Battle Garegga
Super Monkey Ball
F-Zero GX

-RPG-
Final Fantasy IV
Xenogears
Suikoden II
Risen
Fallout New Vegas

-2D Platformer-
Lode Runner
Kid Icarus
Super Mario Bros. 3
Spelunky
New Super Luigi U

-First Person Shooter-
Duke Nukem 3D
Descent II
Quake III
Portal
Destiny

-Adventure-
Quest for Glory, So You Want to Be A Hero
Riven, The Sequel to Myst
Zelda: Ocarina of Time
Silent Hill
Resident Evil: Remake

-Walking Simulators-
Gadget: Invention, Travel, Adventure
Ico
Fez
GTA V
NaissanceE

-Other Genres-
Star Fox
Myth: The Fallen Lords
Thief: The Dark Project
Legend of Grimrock
Nintendoland

Most of the games on this list seem pretty good, I don't see the big deal.
Any dope who plays games on a semi-regular basis can create a list of "pretty good" games. It's when you veer into the territory of claiming these are the "Greatest" video games. Even worse is when you begin to rank them.

The problem at the end of the day is that making these lists just gives you weird results anyways. You'd probably be better off doing more succinct "Top 10 [Genre]" lists.
Why do people get mad over some list from some magazine that barely affects them?It doesnt make any sense...Do you have some repressed feeling or something?
Who exactly is mad? People think the list has some very strange inclusions, very odd omissions and very odd rankings, even when accounting for subjective taste.

Gozert

Wow, this list is pretty awful.

I know these kind of lists are always controversial and personal preference will always be a huge factor (for both the author and the reader), but even then there are a lot of strange things going on.

First of all, you are apparently only a sequel if you have a number in your title. It doesn't matter if the games are not at all similar (for example, Final Fantasy VI vs. Final Fantasy XII), as long as there is no number in the title you're good (for example Ocarina of Time, Majora's Mask AND The Wind Waker).

The omission of series like Super Smash Bros., Deus Ex, Pokémon, Dragon Age and The Walking Dead (which have all received some very good games in the last five years) just baffles me when they include games like Vanquish, Super Monkey Ball, Splatoon, Puzzle & Dragons, etc.

Then, there's some weird choices in games from certain series. Arkham Knight? Civilization IV? LittleBig Planet 3? Final Fantasy XII? Bomberman? Really, Edge?!

Also, no Chrono Trigger at all makes me sad.

Lol @ Limbo being ranked ahead of Castlevania SOTN. No Chrono Trigger. This list is terrible, and I love Dark Souls. Absolute lack of appreciation for classic games.

Moofers

I guess nobody at Edge plays fighting games. Ultra SFIV at 17 is nice and all, but there's no Tekken Tag 2 or Virtua Fighter 5 or Soul Calibur 2/5 on the list.

Also, no Doom. I don't give a shit, it totally holds up.

Also again, lol @ Bloodborne in the top 5. Sorry but it ain't no Dark Souls 2. And Lost Izalith is reason enough to bump DaS1 right the hell outta there and move in DaS2 instead.

Aaron D.

That's an awesome list.

A few omissions here and there, but it gets harder and harder to include everything deserved as the years roll on.

Props on keeping the list current w/o forgetting that classics as well.

FStop7

Banned
needs a title change.

Edge Special List: The 100 Greatest Video Games According to Someone Whose First Experience With Video Games Was a PS3 and a Neighbor's Wii and a Couple of Evenings at a Barcade

Top 100 lists are always a tug-of-war between the writers knowing gaming history and the writers thinking back to games they recently played.

Games they recently played usually win.

Shpeshal Nick

aka Collingwood
Atrocious list both for what made it and how high and what didn't make it.

I mean, no Daytona USA? Seriously? Daytona still sits and is played in Arcades over 20 years later for fucks sake.

Lambtron

Unconfirmed Member
The idea that there are 20 games better than Super Metroid is like... about as wrong headed as I can imagine.

ethomaz

Banned
Destiny is really an amazing game but I think it is too low... best gunplay in a fps I ever played.

Nice to see DriveClub on the list too.

Danthrax

Batteries the CRISIS!
There isn't a single space sim on that list. It's invalid.

Perhaps the author was born in 1995 and hasn't bothered to check out many games that came out before he turned 8.

N.Grim

No Grim Fandando? Ok

32 - Destiny?
It can be a great game but no one can think of a thing like this, especially a gaming journalist.

Blueingreen

In a way i'm glad the list is a change from the default usual suspects, but i'm also baffled that a handful of the default usual suspects are missing in the place of Driveclub, Destiny and Titanfall.

1. Final Fantasy IX
2. LittleBigPlanet
3. Metal Gear Solid 3: Snake Eater
4. The Legend of Zelda: Majora's Mask
5. Okami
6. Super Mario World 2: Yoshi's Island
7. Final Fantasy VIII
8. Earthbound
9. Super Mario Galaxy
10. Final Fantasy IV
11. Uncharted 2: Among Thieves
12. The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time
13. Batman Arkham City
14. Batman Arkham Asylum
15. SSX Tricky
16. Tekken 5 Dark Resurrection
17. Half-Life 2
18. The Last of Us
19. Grand Theft Auto Vice City
20. Grand Theft Auto V
21. Grand Theft Auto San Andreas
22. Soul Calibur II
23. Kirby Super Star
24. NBA Jam: On Fire Edition
25. Final Fantasy XII
26. Perfect Dark
27. Diddy Kong Racing
28. God of War II
29. Crazy Taxi (Arcade)
30. God of War
31. Threads of Fate
32. Final Fantasy VI
33. Chrono Trigger
34. Donkey Kong Country 2: Diddy Kong's Quest
35. Diddy Kong Racing
36. Super Smash Bros. Brawl
37. Super Mario Bros. 3
38. Super Mario World
39. Super Mario Bros. 2
40. Final Fantasy V Advance
41. Tekken 4
42. Tekken Tag Tournament
43. Dragon Quest VIII: Journey of the Cursed King
44. Marvel vs Capcom
45. Final Fantasy X
46. Street Fighter II Turbo
47. Mortal Kombat II
48. Ultimate Mortal Kombat 3
49. Killer Instinct
50. Pokemon Silver
51. Arc the Lad Twilight of the Spirits
52. Pokemon Blue & Yellow
53. Portal
54. Beyond Good and Evil
55. Super Mario RPG: Legend of the Seven Stars
52. Threads of Fate
53. Def Jam: Fight for New York
54. Uncharted 3: Drake's Fortune
55. Paper Mario: The Thousand Year Door
56. Dragon's Crown
57. Scott Pilgrim vs The World
58. Castle Crashers
59. Banjo-Kazooie
60. NBA Jam
61. Valkyrie Profile Lenneth
62. Halo 2
63. Halo
64. Prince of Persia The Two Thrones (Should be higher, but fuck I'm not going to change all those numbers now)
65. Prince of Persia The Sands of Time (Should be higher, but fuck I'm not going to change all those numbers now)
66. Final Fantasy VII
67. Final Fantasy X-2
68. Dino Crisis 2
69. Tekken 6
68. Metal Gear Solid
69. Metal Gear Solid 2: Sons of Liberty
70. Super Mario 64
71. Resident Evil 2
72. Resident Evil 4 (Should be higher, but fuck I'm not going to change all those numbers now)
73. Resident Evil 3
74. Pokemon Emerald
75. Super Mario 3D World
76. Donkey Kong Country
77. Super Metroid
78. Super Mario Bros.
79. Mario Bros.
80. Tiny Toons Wacky Sports Challenge
81. Alice Mare
82. Dead Nation
83. Ms. Pac-Man
84. Firepower 2000
85. Legaia 2: Duel Saga
86. Power Rangers: The Movie
87. Super Double Dragon
88. Mighty Morphin Power Rangers
89. X-Men
90. Mortal Kombat
91. WCW vs. nwo Revenge
92. Super Smash Bros.
93. E.O.E.
94. Duck Hunt
95. Final Fantasy III
96. Donkey Kong
97. Street Hoops
98. F.E.A.R.
99. Brutal Legend
100. Pokemon Stadium 2

Looks like I had to resort putting average games on there or games I've only played once. This shit was a struggle. Basically after 40 the order doesn't matter I was just trying to chuck shit in from memory.

Their inclusion of Drop7 and Super Hexagon is fucking correct. Even if Drop7 has been turned way shittier with more recent updates.

What an awful list. Dark Souls #1, really? wtf.

Totally deserved. I prefer the combat, lore and setting of Bloodborne, but that game stood on the shoulders of a giant.

But Dark Souls is influential, respects the player, has incredible level design, fantastic combat, strong art direction and smart online implementation. I haven't read their current write-up, but the one they did for their best game of last-gen feature was excellent.

Top Bottom