• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

EDGE: What Microsoft’s always-on Xbox means for PlayStation 4

if this is true will the price for games go back to being 39.99/49.99?

of course not. game pricing goes at the price point that gives them the maximum amount of sales for the maximum amount of revenue.

devs and publishers already know they can sell 5 million copies at 59.99, there's no reason to drop it down to 39.99. they're not running a charity- any additional profits gained from cutting used games out of the loop will go to shareholders, not you.

Well ps3 bionic commando 2 required it. Not sure that's the silver bullet we're looking for.

I think final fight: double impact required it as well. in both cases it was capcom pulling that, and the reaction wasn't pleasant. we haven't seen it since.

lucius

I don't even care about this issue so much, just make the thing reliable and I will buy it when Fallout 4 releases.

...then I buy a PS4 and not the new Xbox.

I will not buy any system that controls my ability to buy and sell physical games as I wish.
if this turns out to be true...
ps4 myps4 = new ps4();
xbox720 myxbox720 = new xbox720();
if (myps4.allowsused() && !ps4.alwaysonline() && myps4.launchtitles().quality >= good)
buy(myps4, myps4.launchdate);
else if ( myps4.launchtitles().quality >= good || myxbox720.launchtitles().quality >= good)
buy(betterlineup(myps4,myxbox720), (betterlineup(myps4,myxbox720)).firstpricecutdate)
else
{
buy(myps4, myps4.pricecrashdate);
buy(myxbox720, myxbox720.pricecrashdate);
}

that sums up my consumer algorithm :)

Azrael

I'm skeptical either Microsoft or Sony are really going to do this. If one company implements it unilaterally and the other doesn't, it will spell disaster for the platform. Even if you're not someone who buys used games/sells games, you would be stupid to buy the system because it would guarantee the system will fail. If both companies and developers reached an agreement that both systems will lock out used games, they would be taken to court for collusion.

AndyD

aka andydumi
Well, looking at US inflation rates a $60 game bought today is the same price in real-terms as a $50 game on launch day. I'd say keeping games at US$60 going forward is a win.

Yep. I hope it stays at $60. We already have the weird trend of collectors (complete) editions being $70 or more.

Well ps3 bionic commando 2 required it. Not sure that's the silver bullet we're looking for.

Yeah, and I didn't realize that when I bought it. I hadn't even heard it was possible or allowed on the PS3. And I was right in the middle of it when PSN went down for a month. Now I know I have to check. I'll never buy another game that has that kind of DRM. Of course, I'm very picky about buying anything with DRM aside from basic copy protection, but always-online DRM is enough to make me look past boycotting the game towards boycotting the company.

Yeah, and I didn't realize that when I bought it. I hadn't even heard it was possible or allowed on the PS3. And I was right in the middle of it when PSN went down for a month. Now I know I have to check. I'll never buy another game that has that kind of DRM. Of course, I'm very picky about buying anything with DRM aside from basic copy protection, but always-online DRM is enough to make me look past boycotting the game towards boycotting the company.

The reason for it was to stop the game sharing.

Top Bottom