• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

EDM |OT| Future Flo-Rida Hits

Nemesis_

Ahhh you got me excited but only Get Free and Jah No Partial are available

Crazy, must be officially out in Australia then or something?

It's an okayish album. It's a lot more downtempo than their past album, but this isn't necessarily a bad thing.

I admit I have only listened to it once so I need to try again to let it absorb a little bit more. I really like Santigold's track.

djtiesto

is beloved, despite what anyone might say
This is really good. I kinda wanna learn how to make mixes like this, but I don't know where to begin lol. What's a good program to start with, considering I know absolutely nothing about DJ'ing?

Get yourself a cheap USB controller (~$250-350) and software like Traktor or Virtual DJ. Nowadays it doesn't nearly have the high cost barrier of entry it did when vinyl was the hot thing.

Dance Inferno

Unconfirmed Member
Get yourself a cheap USB controller (~$250-350) and software like Traktor or Virtual DJ. Nowadays it doesn't nearly have the high cost barrier of entry it did when vinyl was the hot thing.

OK thanks I'll look into those. I'm not planning to do any live mixing yet, just maybe put together a few hour-long mixes at home when I have some free time. Trying to spend as little as possible until I know for sure that I want to devote more time/money to this.

Anyway Roald Velden released a new mix a while back, it's great if you love summertime progressive house - the kind you play while lying in a hammock sipping on a mojito:

Roald Velden - Minded Music Sessions 012 [April 09 2013]

Tracklist:

01) Daga - White Tulip (Original Mix) [PHW]
02) Vintage Colors - Meaning Of Beige (Original_Mix) [Fuzzy Recordings]
03) Rainbow Addict - Feeling Of The Raindrop (Vintage & Morelli Remix) [Arrival]
04) Talamanca - Talamanca Beach (Dallonte Remix) [PHW]
05) Talamanca & Cathy Burton - Reach Out To Ocean Drive (Talamanca Mashup)
06) Sunlight Project - Autunno (Nocturne Remix) [PHW]
07) James Woods - Skydiving (Sedi Remix) [PHW]
08) Terry Da Libra - Age Of Innocence (Original Mix) [Arrival]
09) Myon & Shane 54 feat. Aruna - Lights (Club Mix) [Ride Recordings]

I particularly like this track off the mix:

Talamanca - Talamanca Beach (Dallonte Remix)

I love me some piano breakdowns.

Ashhong

Damn dude that's not cheap! You can get cheap numarks for under 100. It's what I use haha

Kccitystar

This is really good. I kinda wanna learn how to make mixes like this, but I don't know where to begin lol. What's a good program to start with, considering I know absolutely nothing about DJ'ing?

First, thanks ;)

Second, I would suggest you learn how to play two songs at the same time, among other things, through Virtual DJ. Virtual DJ is free if you want to practice at home and gain a better understanding on what a DJ does in the booth. All of the other software (Traktor, Scratch Live) have somewhat different interfaces but once you get the hang of what does what and how it affects the music, everything else you will come across, like Scratch Live and Traktor will be a little easier to understand.

There are two big players should you ever decide to take the DJ thing for real: Traktor and Serato.

Traktor itself will run you about $89 USD but the controllers are cheap and entirely functional without the need to connect to anything else.

Serato on the other hand is more of an industry standard since a lot of venues don't want controllers, but the cost of entry with Serato is upwards of $800 for the SL4 box but you can get by with an SL2 which could be between $399/$499 if you know some people, and the software (Scratch Live) is entirely free. ;)

Crazy, must be officially out in Australia then or something?

It's an okayish album. It's a lot more downtempo than their past album, but this isn't necessarily a bad thing.

I admit I have only listened to it once so I need to try again to let it absorb a little bit more. I really like Santigold's track.

I just got the album, about halfway through. Like it so far even though it's not exactly what I expected

dvdjamm

Dude, your awesome, thanks!

Here's the tracklist

Knife Party at Coachella Festival 2013

01 Knife Party – Edm Death Machine 
02 Deorro – Rock The Party (Exodus & Leewise Remix) [PEAK HOUR]
03 Swedish House Mafia feat. John Martin – Don’t You Worry Child (Promise Land Remix) [EMI UK]
w/ ID – ID 
04 Labrinth – Last Time (Knife Party VIP Mix) 
05 Showtek – Slow Down [DIM MAK]
06 La Fuente feat. Jamie Murray – Buzzing [MIXMASH]
07 David Guetta feat. Ne-Yo & Akon – Play Hard (Albert Neve Remix) [WHAT A MUSIC]
08 Marcel Woods – Guaba (Another Mix) [HIGH CONTRAST (BE YOURSELF)]
09 Knife Party – Rage Valley (VIP Mix) [BIG BEAT]
10 Wolfgang Gartner – Anaconda [ULTRA]
11 Chris Lake – Ohh Shhh [ULTRA]
12 Kid Massive & Mark Le Sal – Don’t Cry (Hard Rock Sofa Remix) 
13 Armin van Buuren & W&W – D# Fat [ARMIND (ARMADA)]
14 Knife Party – Power Glove [EARSTORM]
15 ID – ID 
16 Hardwell & Showtek – How We Do [REVEALED]
17 Swedish House Mafia & Knife Party – Antidote (Tommy Trash Remix) [VIRGIN UK]
w/ Swedish House Mafia & Knife Party – Antidote (Knife Party Dub) [VIRGIN UK]
18 Jacob Plant – Fire 
19 Laidback Luke feat. Majestic – Pogo (Deorro Remix) [MIXMASH]
20 Jus Jack & Oza – This Is Acid 
21 Swedish House Mafia feat. John Martin – Save The World (Knife Party Remix) [VIRGIN UK]
22 Nom De Strip – Techno Saturday [MAU5TRAP]
23 Sidney Samson – Move [ROCKTHEHOUZE]
24 Alvaro – Pay Attention To The Drums [MIXMASH]
25 Knife Party – Internet Friends (VIP Mix) [EARSTORM]
w/ Knife Party – LRAD [EARSTORM]
26 Knife Party – Internet Friends (VIP Mix) [EARSTORM]
27 ID – ID 
28 Knife Party – Fire Hive [EARSTORM]
29 Major Lazer feat. Flux Pavilion – Jah No Partial [MAD DECENT]
30 Noisecontrollers & Showtek – Get Loose [OWSLA]
31 Knife Party – Centipede [EARSTORM]
32 Knife Party feat. Mistajam – Sleaze [EAR STORM]
33 ID – ID 
34 Knife Party – Bonfire [BIG BEAT]
35 ID – ID 
36 Knife Party – Destroy Them With Lazers [EARSTORM]
37 Daddy’s Groove – Stellar (TV Noise Remix) [SPINNIN']

I recommend a Traktor Kontrol S2, which comes bundled with the full version of Traktor Pro 2, and can be had for $350. If that's too pricey, I guess the Numark Mixtrack Pro is supposed to be a decent controller, and can be had for under $200, but it just comes with a gimped version of Serato.

Personally, I have a Traktor Kontrol S4 and I think it's awesome.

Laughlin

twonUHx.jpg

Maybe I'll see some of you good people at the carnival? :)

I hate you I hate you I hate you...

Sorry, it's just the fact you're a lucky bastard :(

Dance Inferno

Unconfirmed Member
I downloaded Virtual DJ yesterday and I can kinda get the hang of mixing into/out of songs (turn down the bass on the second track and beatmatch, slightly increase the volume of the second track, then kill the bass on the first track while turning it up on the second), but I can never figure out where I am in the second track since I can't hear it. I tried plugging in my headphones but it won't let me have one song on the speakers and the other song in my headphones. Do I have to get the paid version of the software in order to make this happen? That would be a shame.

I downloaded Virtual DJ yesterday and I can kinda get the hang of mixing into/out of songs (turn down the bass on the second track and beatmatch, slightly increase the volume of the second track, then kill the bass on the first track while turning it up on the second), but I can never figure out where I am in the second track since I can't hear it. I tried plugging in my headphones but it won't let me have one song on the speakers and the other song in my headphones. Do I have to get the paid version of the software in order to make this happen? That would be a shame.

You need a sound card/audio interface with 2 sets of stereo outputs if you want to do headphone cueing. Most decent controllers have an interface built in. Otherwise, something like Native Instruments Traktor Audio 2 would work. That particular interface can be had for $70-100 and it comes bundled with a full version of Traktor Pro 2.

kaskade

So will.i.am was a bit liberal when using other peoples work, namely Arty & Mat Zo's "Rebound"

will.i.am - Let's Go (Audio) (Explicit) ft. Chris Brown

And here is the work he ripped off. Pretty similar right?

Matt Zo has recently nuked his twitter account, don't know if that was related to this. No rights were clear to use the music either.

Holy shit. I heard it the second the song came on. It's almost like they didn't even try to hide the fact. It sucks when this happens. Lesser known EDM artists get their shit ripped off. Now people are going to be loving this song and the real artists aren't going to get recognition. I doubt anything will really come of it. Chances are they'll pay anjuna and it'll say feat arty and mat zo or something.

Dance Inferno

Unconfirmed Member
Reminds me of the Avicii-Leona Lewis controversy where LL sampled Penguins and didn't give any credit to Avicii. Eventually he got his name on the song:

Leona Lewis / Avicii - Collide

You need a sound card/audio interface with 2 sets of stereo outputs if you want to do headphone cueing. Most decent controllers have an interface built in. Otherwise, something like Native Instruments Traktor Audio 2 would work. That particular interface can be had for $70-100 and it comes bundled with a full version of Traktor Pro 2.

Damn, so I have to buy additional stuff to do that. Is there any way for me to mix tracks into a set without headphone cueing? Or would I basically have to do it blind?

Ferr986

Holy shit at that will i am mix. Its a fucking shame!

but I can never figure out where I am in the second track since I can't hear it.

i Use the graphic at the top of the program, where a deck is colored different. You can make cues on the tracks before hand if you want to mix them from a specific point. They get saved even if you switch the track.

I'm not too familiar with Virtual DJ, but I assume it has some form of beatgridding. If you beatgrid your tracks, utilize the sync function, set up your cue points in advance, and pay attention to your waveforms, you can mix pretty well without headphone cueing.

I'm getting ready to record my first mix ever in Traktor, and I'm doing it without headphones, because I already have everything prepared in advance. If I were mixing on the fly though, I'd use headphones for cueing.

djtiesto

is beloved, despite what anyone might say

You'd need a sound card with secondary outputs or barring that, a second sound card. I use the Creative Sound Blaster Xfi Go USB sound card and plug my headphones into that. Decent USB controllers come with a second sound card included (mine doesn't, unfortunately).

Once you install the USB sound card, you can set your Virtual DJ config options to use 2 soundcards, output one to your speakers and another to the headphones.

Ferr986

Anjunabeats ‏@anjunabeats 9min

We are looking into the situation regarding Rebound, but can't reply to each message individually. Thanks for all your support.

Anjunabeats ‏@anjunabeats 1h

@Adelg09 we werent aware of the track until today but are looking into it

I hope they sue that prick.

Ashhong

So will.i.am was a bit liberal when using other peoples work, namely Arty & Mat Zo's "Rebound"

will.i.am - Let's Go (Audio) (Explicit) ft. Chris Brown

And here is the work he ripped off. Pretty similar right?

Matt Zo has recently nuked his twitter account, don't know if that was related to this. No rights were cleared to use the music either.

Holy shit this song sucks. What a stupid ass house beat.

I'm surprised at Will.i.am. He's a big pusher and lover of the EDM scene. Seems really weird that he would just go and try to steal someone's music like that. Shame on him. Arty and Mat Zo gonna get paid.

L1NETT

I am really digging Arty fear Chris James - Together We are. Does anyone have any recommendations for songs similar to this? Cheers :)

Chris James seems to be a favorite of mine actually, as he is on one of the few Deadmau5 tracks I like, The Veldt.

Dance Inferno

Unconfirmed Member
I'm not too familiar with Virtual DJ, but I assume it has some form of beatgridding. If you beatgrid your tracks, utilize the sync function, set up your cue points in advance, and pay attention to your waveforms, you can mix pretty well without headphone cueing.

I'm not really sure what beatgridding is but I know you can set cues, so maybe I'll try to focus on that instead. I was able to make a few OK transitions last night by syncing the tracks and mixing one song to the other, but it always ended up mixing into some random ass part of the song lol.

You'd need a sound card with secondary outputs or barring that, a second sound card. I use the Creative Sound Blaster Xfi Go USB sound card and plug my headphones into that. Decent USB controllers come with a second sound card included (mine doesn't, unfortunately).

Once you install the USB sound card, you can set your Virtual DJ config options to use 2 soundcards, output one to your speakers and another to the headphones.

Ah, I didn't realize USB controllers came with their own soundcards. I'll keep that in mind if I end up getting one. I kind of want to start off with all the free options available to me to see if this is something I want to go into more depth with or if it's just a phase. I can already tell that using an on-screen controller is going to be a pain in the ass since I can only control one knob at a time using the mouse.

I am really digging Arty fear Chris James - Together We are. Does anyone have any recommendations for songs similar to this? Cheers :)

Chris James seems to be a favorite of mine actually, as he is on one of the few Deadmau5 tracks I like, The Veldt.

Along with The Veldt, Arty - Kate was my most-played song of 2012.

Ashhong

I'm not really sure what beatgridding is but I know you can set cues, so maybe I'll try to focus on that instead. I was able to make a few OK transitions last night by syncing the tracks and mixing one song to the other, but it always ended up mixing into some random ass part of the song lol.

Ah, I didn't realize USB controllers came with their own soundcards. I'll keep that in mind if I end up getting one. I kind of want to start off with all the free options available to me to see if this is something I want to go into more depth with or if it's just a phase. I can already tell that using an on-screen controller is going to be a pain in the ass since I can only control one knob at a time using the mouse.

Along with The Veldt, Arty - Kate was my most-played song of 2012.

You have to go into the options somewhere and change the view option of the beatgrid to "Spectrum" iirc. It makes it different colors depending on the beat. Makes it easier. You'll get the hang of when to start a song with experience. To make it easy you can try starting the next song around 30 seconds or a minute before the end of the current one. The current songs spectrum should be pink at that point I think.

Only certain USB controllers have a built in sound card. The cheap 100$ one I linked does not. You could buy a cheap 20$ PC soundcard and have the same effect. Just wouldn't be able to take it on the go obviously

Dreaver

This whole thing makes Will.I.Am even a bigger joke. I also can't wrap my head around how such a thing can happen. They they really expect they could just steal it? Did they really thought no one would find out?

Dance Inferno

Unconfirmed Member
This whole thing makes Will.I.Am even a bigger joke. I also can't wrap my head around how such a thing can happen. They they really expect they could just steal it? Did they really thought no one would find out?

He might have thought Arty and Mat Zo are two relative unknowns and no one would notice that he ripped off the track in its entirety? Even then though, he must have known he was going to get the carpets sued out from under him.

And then he goes and recreates the exact drop from Epic, which was only like the most recognizable festival drop of 2012. I mean what was he thinking?

But anyway if you read Mat Zo's post on his Facebook he said (before deleting it), "Producers often wait their whole careers for a commercial act to fuck up and sample their track without asking permission."

So dey gonna get paiiiiiiiiiiiiid.

Beatgridding (Traktor terminology) basically consists of determining the tempo of a track, then laying down and adjusting a grid to ensure that each beat in the song falls where it should with regards to the tempo. It's useful primarily when utilizing the sync function, to make sure that all your tracks and effects work together in time with whatever master tempo you're working at. It also ensures that your cue points are right on the beat (assuming you want your cue points on the beat.) Every major DJ software has some equivalent. In Ableton, it's called "warping." Don't know what the VDJ or Serato equivalents are.

Also, does Virtual DJ have colored waveforms? That can help a lot with mixing and eq'ing. I know that both Traktor and Serato have this option. It really helps give a good idea of which frequencies are dominant at a certain point in the song. So if you're looking at your waveform, the predominantly red portions indicate low frequencies, while green represents mids, and blue represents high frequencies.

Edit: Do you have an iPad? If so, and if you've got $20 to spend, I STRONGLY recommend getting the Traktor DJ app. It's very powerful, and a hell of a lot more intuitive than manhandling your way around VDJ with a mouse and keyboard. And if you get the camera attachment cable kit thing for iPad, you can headphone cue, too.

Cagey

Banned
He might have thought Arty and Mat Zo are two relative unknowns and no one would notice that he ripped off the track in its entirety? Even then though, he must have known he was going to get the carpets sued out from under him.

And then he goes and recreates the exact drop from Epic, which was only like the most recognizable festival drop of 2012. I mean what was he thinking?

But anyway if you read Mat Zo's post on his Facebook he said (before deleting it), "Producers often wait their whole careers for a commercial act to fuck up and sample their track without asking permission."

So dey gonna get paiiiiiiiiiiiiid.

LOL they didn't even alter the melody to Rebound in the first full minute of the song, and for the first ~30 seconds, it's legitimately Chris Brown just singing over the original track. Got damn. I'm almost impressed with how blatant the thievery is. No fucks given.

With regards to mixing into random parts of tracks, that's where phrase matching comes in. Almost all dance music works in 8 or 16 bar phrases, with one bar being equivalent to 4 beats. So if you break your songs down into phrases (the intro, drop, breakdown, buildup, etc.), then mix appropriately. Don't start mixing into the middle of a phrase. So for example, say you have a 16 bar buildup before a drop on the track that's currently playing, and you want your next track to come in on its drop: you'll want to start mixing the second track in 16 bars before it drops, while the first track is building up. Then, cut to the next track (or mix with eq or whatever) at the point where the buildup of track A ends and the meat of track B kicks in. I'm not sure if that made any sense.

Dance Inferno

Unconfirmed Member
With regards to mixing into random parts of tracks, that's where phrase matching comes in. Almost all dance music works in 8 or 16 bar phrases, with one bar being equivalent to 4 beats. So if you break your songs down into phrases (the intro, drop, breakdown, buildup, etc.), then mix appropriately. Don't start mixing into the middle of a phrase. So for example, say you have a 16 bar buildup before a drop on the track that's currently playing, and you want your next track to come in on its drop: you'll want to start mixing the second track in 16 bars before it drops, while the first track is building up. Then, cut to the next track (or mix with eq or whatever) at the point where the buildup of track A ends and the meat of track B kicks in. I'm not sure if that made any sense.

Yeah that makes sense. I used to play the piano so I'm familiar with basic music theory, but I didn't realize dance music worked in 16 bar phrases. It's helpful to think about mixing in these terms though, gives me something to wrap my head around.

Appleman

Edit: Do you have an iPad? If so, and if you've got $20 to spend, I STRONGLY recommend getting the Traktor DJ app. It's very powerful, and a hell of a lot more intuitive than manhandling your way around VDJ with a mouse and keyboard. And if you get the camera attachment cable kit thing for iPad, you can headphone cue, too.
I'd also check out TouchOSC as an entry level replacement for a MIDI controller, can get some pretty comprehensive S2/S4 type layouts.

Also, you can do headphone cueing if you have either USB Speakers or a USB Headset lying around

Top Bottom