• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

EDM |OT| Future Flo-Rida Hits

Ashhong

Forever is ours, pulsar and whos's afraid of 138 are the only songs that I enjoyed.

You don't like Alone or Sound of the Drums?

Yeah it's disappointing. A little too much singing for my taste and not enough beats

That's what the remix album is for. I feel like every artist album is boring and or underwhelming. Above & Beyond's Group Therapy, Tritonal, Markus Schulz etc etc. The remixes are what make them awesome.

Intense on the other hand, has some good, enjoyable singles already.

Dance Inferno

Unconfirmed Member

That's what the remix album is for. I feel like every artist album is boring and or underwhelming. Above & Beyond's Group Therapy, Tritonal, Markus Schulz etc etc. The remixes are what make them awesome.

I know you did not just diss Group Therapy.

Deadly

I thought Alone was nice but I gave it a couple of listens and it went to it's ok status. Can't recall Sound of the Drums.

And yeah man cmon Group Therapy was great.

Ashhong

Group Therapy is zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

Was not a fan. Though I did love me some "Thing Called Love" Burning Bridges mix.

spectros4

Neo Member
I feel like EDM is just hitting its mainstream stride. You turn on MTV here and you have a better than 50% chance of seeing something by David Guetta, Cazzette, or Avicii. Festivals are getting bigger and bigger and EDM songs are crossing over into pop and hip hop. I honestly don't see it going away anytime soon.

I feel the same way. That's why I really only stick with my ten or so favorite artists because I know they will stay true to what EDM was in a way. I'm not saying that it's bad that it's going mainstream, and that I want it to stay unnoticed, but I'm saying that the shift towards mainstream is in a way ruining the creativity of artists and the music they put out.

On a side note: I have found an appreciation for Avicii's ultra set. He's trying to do something different than other EDM artists out there and it didn't sit well with many people.
What's the general consensus on Avicii's ultra set here?

D

Deleted member 12837

Unconfirmed Member
On a side note: I have found an appreciation for Avicii's ultra set. He's trying to do something different than other EDM artists out there and it didn't sit well with many people.
What's the general consensus on Avicii's ultra set here?

I was there, and I thought his set was awful. The live instruments and singing just didn't mesh well with the DJing, and the acoustics or mixing or something was very off. Not sure what it was.

However, I really like the 2013 promo mix he put out, which has a lot of the same songs, just mastered and studio quality.

spectros4

Neo Member
I was there, and I thought his set was awful. The live instruments and singing just didn't mesh well with the DJing, and the acoustics or mixing or something was very off. Not sure what it was.

However, I really like the 2013 promo mix he put out, which has a lot of the same songs, just mastered and studio quality.

I don't think his new content was appropriate to play at ultra. It definitely got people to acknowledge that his new music is different than his older stuff though. What were people's reactions to it live?
I do find listening to the promo mix with his new music enjoyable though.

Dance Inferno

Unconfirmed Member
Group Therapy is zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

Was not a fan. Though I did love me some "Thing Called Love" Burning Bridges mix.

Did you need MOAR EPIC DROPZZ?!!?!

Group Therapy is one of my all-time favorite albums. It's my go-to album to play when I'm outside with great weather and the sun is shining. Songs like Alchemy, Thing Called Love, and Only A Few Things are just amazing for putting you in an emotional trance.

How did I not know Juno Reactor just released a new album?!?! This thing is massive.

Juno Reactor - Final Frontier

Wow this is pretty nice.

mr stroke

Vegas EDC line up just came out today, line up is pretty wicked no matter what type of EDM you like.

XXpiDl1.jpg

Can't wait till June!

Ashhong

Did you need MOAR EPIC DROPZZ?!!?!

Group Therapy is one of my all-time favorite albums. It's my go-to album to play when I'm outside with great weather and the sun is shining. Songs like Alchemy, Thing Called Love, and Only A Few Things are just amazing for putting you in an emotional trance.

Wow this is pretty nice.

Nah it wasn't the drops, I just didn't enjoy the beats so much. Plus I'm not a huuuge fan of Zoe's voice. Tri-State was better.

Wow what a lineup. Not bad...Bryan Kearney :O

Kaako

Felium Defensor
Pretty good lineup for EDC Vegas. Already got my tickets and took off work. Now we play the waiting game...

Joe

Im going to one day of EDC New York - the lineup kinda blows. Really only going to see Bloody Beetroots with a live band.

Dance Inferno

Unconfirmed Member
Dammit, now I'm really sad I'm not going to EDC Vegas this year. It was so much fun last year, but the logistics just didn't work out. Maybe next year...

the_jiggler

Neo Member
Dammit, now I'm really sad I'm not going to EDC Vegas this year. It was so much fun last year, but the logistics just didn't work out. Maybe next year...

Out of curiosity, how much did it cost for you to go? I go to school in CA so
I want to know how much money I should save up. I would just be driving to LV with some friends. I hope to go next year.

Dance Inferno

Unconfirmed Member
I want to know how much money I should save up. I would just be driving to LV with some friends. I hope to go next year.

The flight was the most expensive I think. Lemme see if I can dig up my old emails...

Hotel: $150 (they gave us a free day since it took us 3 hours to check on Friday...their computers went down just as 100,000 people arrived in Vegas for EDC...)

Flight: $540

EDC ticket: $240 + $80 shuttle pass = $320

So all in I paid $1,100. Kind of expensive for a three day trip, which is why I didn't do it this year. I probably could have afforded it, but a bunch of friends and I are going to Mykonos for 10 days in the summer so I figured I would save my money for that instead.

TKR92

listening Armin's new album 'Intense'

the first half, not so much. But really like the second half of the album.

'last stop before heaven' & 'love never came' are killer tunes for me.

Ashhong

Tickets are like 300ish. Depending on how many friends you go with, hotel costs about 100 each. Gas is like 30 per person with a packed car.

Then you have the cost of food over the weekend, and of course at least 1 buffet which is like 40-50$. Estimated cost is probably 500-600.

Back in 2011 when you didn't have to go all 3 days it was much cheaper. Bastard insomniac.

My apologies if this has been covered in the thread already, but when did they start calling it 'EDM'? It's always been just 'dance' music to me unless they started getting more specific (house, trance, etc.). While I'm not in the scene I know a few people who are and I've literally first heard the term 'EDM' this year...

mr stroke

This year its costing me-

(leaving from CA)

-$600 for 2 EDC 3 day tickets
-$175 for 2 shuttle passes
-$1100 for 2 plane tickets and 4 nights hotel

Plus bringing around $1000-2000 for food/drinks/spending money

So about $2800-4k with everything for 2 people

You can make that much cheaper if you drive, stay a cheap hotel/motel, and don't eat out or stop at Vegas bars/clubs(Super expensive drinks)

Ashhong

This year its costing me-

(leaving from CA)

-$600 for 2 EDC 3 day tickets
-$175 for 2 shuttle passes
-$1100 for 2 plane tickets and 4 nights hotel

Plus bringing around $1000-2000 for food/drinks/spending money

So about $2800-4k with everything for 2 people

You can make that much cheaper if you drive, stay a cheap hotel/motel, and don't eat out or stop at Vegas bars/clubs(Super expensive drinks)

BALLER ALERT

My apologies if this has been covered in the thread already, but when did they start calling it 'EDM'? It's always been just 'dance' music to me unless they started getting more specific (house, trance, etc.). While I'm not in the scene I know a few people who are and I've literally first heard the term 'EDM' this year...

I've personally been familiar with the term since maybe around 2000, though it wasn't being bandied about nearly as much then as it is now.

the_jiggler

Neo Member
listening Armin's new album 'Intense'

the first half, not so much. But really like the second half of the album.

'last stop before heaven' & 'love never came' are killer tunes for me.

I really dig the opening track. But that is pretty much it.

the_jiggler

Neo Member
The flight was the most expensive I think. Lemme see if I can dig up my old emails...

Hotel: $150 (they gave us a free day since it took us 3 hours to check on Friday...their computers went down just as 100,000 people arrived in Vegas for EDC...)

Flight: $540

EDC ticket: $240 + $80 shuttle pass = $320

So all in I paid $1,100. Kind of expensive for a three day trip, which is why I didn't do it this year. I probably could have afforded it, but a bunch of friends and I are going to Mykonos for 10 days in the summer so I figured I would save my money for that instead.

Not too bad considering what prices are for other festivals. Thanks for the info. I already have like 200 bucks saved so I will definitely have enough by next year.

Dreaver

yes, i own one and its pretty good!

thinking of upgrading to a s2 pretty soon

You still need a separate external sound card right (for headphone cue'ing)? Folks at the other Electronic thread recommended me it as well, but I still haven't bought a digital controller.l. I've searched the internet a little bit but it seems the entry level sound cards are at least around $75. That combined with the controller itself, I find it a little bit expensive, I'm temped to pick up the Behringer BCD3000. It's only for bedroom practice.

(sorry for the off topic)

D23

You still need a separate external sound card right (for headphone cue'ing)? Folks at the other Electronic thread recommended me it as well, but I still haven't bought a digital controller.l. I've searched the internet a little bit but it seems the entry level sound cards are at least around $75. That combined with the controller itself, I find it a little bit expensive, I'm temped to pick up the Behringer BCD3000. It's only for bedroom practice.

the mixtrack pro comes with a built in soundcard, the regular version doesn't. so make sure you get the 'pro' version.
mixtract pro w/built in soundcard

dvdjamm

gt_radio_logo_570x430-570x350-620x350.jpeg

http://www.aboveandbeyond.nu/radio/abgt026

1. Ronski Speed & Syntrobic feat. Renee Stahl "Pink Skye" (Anjunabeats Volume 10)
2. Armin van Buuren "Last Stop Before Heaven" (Armada)
3. York "Farewell To The Moon" [Alexander Popov Remix] (Planet Love)

Record of the Week

4. D-Mad "Pep Talk" (Monster)

5. Boom Jinx, Maor Levi & Ashley Tomberlin "When You Loved Me" (Anjunabeats Volume 10)
6. Jeremy Olander "Factures" (Sudbeat)
7. Myon & Shane 54 with Aruna "Lights" [Juventa Remix] (Ride)
8. meHiLove "Illuminate" (Infrasonic Progressive)
9. Vinny Troia feat. Jaidene Veda "Fade Into You" [Jerome Isma-ae & Ilan Bluestone Remix] (Curvve)
10. Kevin Wild "Polly" (Air Up There)
11. Airwave "Game Of Life" (LCD)

12. Armin van Buuren feat. Richard Bedford "Love Never Came" (Armada)

Push The Button

13. Rodrigo Deem "Deem It" (BPM)

14. Darren Tate "Tears" (Mondo)
15. Jaytech "Wipeout" (Anjunabeats)
16. Golden Girls "Kinetic" [Jeremy Olander Edit] (Floorplay)
17. Blood Groove & Kikis "Mirage" [Jaytech Remix] (Silk Royal)

Flashback

18. Future Sound Of London "Papa New Guinea" (Jumpin' & Pumpin')

BT Guest Mix

1. BT "Vervoeren" (Armada)
2. BT vs. W&W "The Emergency Code" [BT Mashup] (CDR)
3. BT vs. Norin & Rad "Break My Aldo" [BT Mashup] (CDR)
4. BT "Skylarking" [Ilan Bluestone Remix] (Armada)
5. BT "Flaming June" [Laptop Symphony Rework] (Black Hole)
6. BT, Arty & Nadia Ali "Must Be The Love" [Album Mix] (Armada)
7. BT feat. Aqualung "Surrounded" [Super8 & Tab Remix] (Armada)

Ashhong

I bought an asus sound card for 20$ that would work just fine for you. Completely forgot what card it was....sonar? Zonar?

andylsun

So I'm flying to the Bay Area right now for a few days (work) and I see that Armin van Buuren is playing in Oakland tonight!! Can't book tickets on my phone but anyone know if its sold out? Land at SFO at 3pm, so maybe dump my crap at the hotel then head to Oakland and see. It's not going to be a stupid late one (e.g. 3am start for AvB) as I have to work at 8?

Chaplain

Amazing Anjunabeats episode that has a little bit of each type of EDM style.

Stream only: Anjunabeats Worldwide 328 - "Juventa" (3/5/2013)

Juventa - Life Starts With The Beating Of A Heart [Enhanced Recordings]
Skrillex - Scary Monsters & Nice Sprites (Gabriell Remix) [Cdr]
Mat Zo & Porter Robinson - Easy (Lemaitre Remix) [Anjunabeats/MOS]
Above & Beyond - Prelude (Andrew Bayer & James Grant Remix) [Anjunadeep]
Speed Limits - Bris [Enhanced Progressive]
Way Out West - Killa [Solaris]
Quivver- Yeah Yeah [Bedrock]
Lessov - Magic [Cdr / Portrait]
Harry Peat - Affrodizziac (Quivver Remix) [Pilot 6]
Dinka - Faces Of Bengalia [Unreleased Digital]
Juventa - The Kite [Enhanced Progressive]
Fatboy Slim - Right Here, Right Now (Abel Ramos Brighton With Love Remix) w/ Leon Bolier - Disco Davai [Skint / Spinnin]
Above & Beyond - Walter White w/ Armin van Buuren feat. Fiora - Waiting For The Night (Beat Service Remix) w/ Stoneface & Terminal - Don't Give A F**k [Anjunabeats / Armind / Euphonic]
Ferry Corsten - Rock Your Body Rock (Arty Rock N Rolla Mix) [Anjunabeats / Armind / Euphonic]
Arty feat. Chris James - Together We Are (Audien Remix vs The M Machine Remix) [Big Beat]
Aruna with Mark Eteson - Let Go (Nic Chagall Remix)[Myon & Shane 54 Refill] w/ Zedd feat. Foxes - Clarity [Anjunabeats / Interscope]
Zedd feat. Foxes - Clarity (Style Of Eye Remix) w/ Viridian - Sunhump (Breakfast Bootleg) [Interscope / Cdr]
Myon & Shane 54 with Aruna - Lights (Juventa Remix) [RIDE]
Myon & Shane 54 with Aruna - Lights (7Skies Remix) [RIDE]
Above & Beyond & Andy Moor vs Tom Fall - 4 Days Out For Life (Juventa Smash) [Cdr]
Paul van Dyk feat. Plumb - I Don't Deserve You (Seven Lions Remix) [Vandit]
Paul van Dyk - Nothing But You (Cirrus Remix) w/ Colombo - Sediments [Mute/iBreaks]
Andrew Bayer & Matt Lange feat. Kerry Leva - In And Out Of Phase (Original Mix vs Calyx & Teebee Remix) [Anjunabeats]
Kove - Stellar [Viper Recordings]
Brookes Brothers - Last Night [Breakbeat Koas]
Rudimental - Right Here (Andy C Remix) [Asylum]
Xilent - Evolutions Per Minute [Mainframe Recordings]
Yanntek feat. Alkimia - Elevation [Ammunition Recordings]
Juventa & Kerry Leva - Just For Now [Cdr]
Juventa & Karanda feat. Roxanne Barton - Ethereal (Original Mix) [Enhanced Progressive]
Kevin Wild - Polly [Air Up There]
Daniel Kandi feat. Sarah Russell - Change The World (Estiva Remix) [Enhanced Recordings]
Signum - First Strike (Juventa Club Mix) [Armada]
Boom Jinx, Maor Levi & Ashley Tomberlin - When You Loved Me [Anjunabeats]
Super8 & Tab - L.A. (Juventa Remix) [Anjunabeats]
Max Graham feat. Jeza - Still There's You (Juventa Private Rework) [Rebrand]
Johnny Yono - Orion (Original Mix) [Lange]
Adam Szabo & Willem de Roo - Lego [Enhanced Recordings]

Top Bottom