• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Effective character design: Sonic now vs Sonic then

Combichristoffersen

Combovers don't work when there is no hair
Its about your words on sonic colors

• Hmm, so he uses current dailect he is a douche bag,
  • he is impatient like you described he is a douche bag,
  • he is confident, he a douche bag and has horrible writing.

Plenty of people dont like alot of things, not everyone likes everything.

Are you trying to argue that most people agree, with you and everyone else is a minority.

Also sonic has two comic books, one of which many people don't consider to be started until new sonic kicked in. Along with sonic x still airing and his games still selling.

Being impatient and confident while using current slang doesn't make Sonic a douchebag (he was impatient and confident back in the 16-bit days anyway). Being snarky with an in your face cooler-than-thou and EXTREME attitude is what makes post-S3&K Sonic annoying, although Sega seems to have toned down his EXTREME personality the last few years.

That's why they bought Marvel! :p

Should've bought Image Comics and given Spawn a marketing blitz if they really wanted to be behind the curve on what's cool :p

G-Fex

I don't like new sonic at all, not at all since the dreamcast adventure game.

He's not really cool.

He thinks he has a attitude.

He's not the fastest thing alive.

I don't like new sonic at all, not at all since the dreamcast adventure game.

He's not really cool.

He thinks he has a attitude.

He's not the fastest thing alive.

Yeah, something about this new Sonic, just seems kinda slow.

Guess he could use a little more Blast Processing.

Are you trying to argue that most people agree, with you and everyone else is a minority.

Also sonic has two comic books, one of which many people don't consider to be
started until new sonic kicked in. Along with sonic x still airing and his games still selling.
Current dialogue can still be cringeworthy and make a character less likeable. Sonic
would also be annoying if I saw him spouting YOLO. Just because something is current doesn't mean it's not annoying and attempting to reflect a cliche or trope.

And considering less people buy Sonic
games now then in the early 90s, yes I'd say
more people would agree with me. Sonic used to be a system seller. He doesn't do bad now, but compared to the Genesis days
his popularity is a shell of itself. It used to be Mario VS Sonic. They were the top two characters in all of video games. These days Sonic is absolutely not competing for the biggest character in video games.

Also, I never said you shouldn't like new Sonic. I'm just saying that I don't agree with your idea that the redesigned Sonic is a better representation of what Sonic is.

Village

I think I can't tell the difference between the two.

Being impatient and confident while using current slang doesn't make Sonic a douchebag (he was impatient and confident back in the 16-bit days anyway). Being snarky with an in your face cooler-than-thou and EXTREME attitude is what makes post-S3&K Sonic annoying, although Sega seems to have toned down his EXTREME personality the last few years.

They toned it down in adventure, the only one he was in your face with was shadow, shadow bitched slapped him( and then it began). But besides that , sonic was kinda that guy who gets caught up in an adventure. Hence.. adventure. I am not saying sonic is perfect goodness no, I don't think he is as loud as people exaggerate him to be.

Current dialogue can still be cringeworthy and make a character less likeable. Sonic
would also be annoying if I saw him spouting YOLO. Just because something is current doesn't mean it's not annoying and attempting to reflect a cliche or trope.

And considering less people buy Sonic
games now then in the early 90s, yes I'd say
more people would agree with me. Sonic used to be a system seller. He doesn't do bad now, but compared to the Genesis days
his popularity is a shell of itself. It used to be Mario VS Sonic. They were the top two characters in all of video games. These days Sonic is absolutely not competing for the biggest character in video games.

Also, I never said you shouldn't like new Sonic. I'm just saying that I don't agree with your idea that the redesigned Sonic is a better representation of what Sonic is.

Thats because the games were bad... and sega made shit consoles for quite some time. Sonics personality didn't kill his sales, Sega and sonic team did, for all intents and purposes lets include Sammy.
also crossovers especially Nintendo involved ones tend to do well.

What if they designed Mario to look cooler?
They did

Wario-mario_party_8.png

Perfection

Ivan 3414

Between the interesting opinions of some of the posters who like Sonic and the condescending remarks of some of the old folks here, this topic gives me an unsettling feeling.

Also sonic has two comic books, one of which many people don't consider to be started until new sonic kicked in. Along with sonic x still airing and his games still selling.

Not once in the two times you mentioned his post did he mention Sonic being a douchebag.

Village

Not once in the two times you mentioned his post did he mention Sonic being a douchebag.

He discriibed sonic as manufactured, snotty, unrealistic and trying to hard.

Sounds like a Dbag to me. And Its a word, i am using to describe his dislike for new sonic, clearly he finds him deplorable, that's why I used the word d-bad.

Why did you point this out may I ask.

* whoa i can speel hunest

gwarm01

I'm sure it was mentioned by now, but classic Sonic had lots of personality. Did you actually play the games? He had idle animations, man. God help you if you get too close to a ledge.

He discriibed sonic as manufactured, snotty, unrealistic and trying to hard.

Sounds like a Dbag to me. And Its a word, i am using to describe his dislike for new sonic, clearly he finds him deplorable, that's why I used the word d-bad.

Why did you point this out may I ask.

* whoa i can speel hunest

Because each time you reply to a criticism, you insert your own words into it so you can look like you've come out on top. But all you're really doing is moving goalposts and cherry-picking responses.

Spinluck

Meh, they wrote Sonic Balls Z and that is the #1 reason why Sonic and friends are the subject of all those fanfics. The design itself is updated, but really not that radical if you compare it to the original Sonic. All key elements are present in the original design, he's just taller and a bit more refined.

So I disagree with the OP, you can't dismiss the original design when the new one has built nothing new on top of it. It's a natural progression fueled by general design trends. One might argue, that Sonic has not changed at all.

Best post in the thread so far.

Village

Because each time you reply to a criticism, you insert your own words into it so you can look like you've come out on top. But all you're really doing is moving goalposts and cherry-picking responses.

Not at all..
What in the world are you talking about...

I think you have mistaken, having a difference of an opinion , with something else.

Because what?

WillyFive

Mario doesn't need to designed cooler, he's acaricature of a fat italian plumber, he's not supposed to be cool. Sonic's whole shtick was that he was cool unlike Mario. In that regard, Sonic's redesign improved the character on his basic conceptual level; Sonic looking like Mickey Mouse does not make him cool, it just makes him another competitor in a sea of lookalikes.

Village

Mario doesn't need to designed cooler, he's acaricature of a fat italian plumber, he's not supposed to be cool. Sonic's whole shtick was that he was cool unlike Mario. In that regard, Sonic's redesign improved the character on his basic conceptual level; Sonic looking like Mickey Mouse does not make him cool, it just makes him another competitor in a sea of lookalikes.

tumblr_m7r3u3hFou1rpphqm.gif

This guy gets it.

Top Bottom