• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

EGM is coming back. For serious.

Hunh, the best of the luck to them. I doubt anything they do would get me to subscribe to them again(you know, with actual money).

As someone who routinely bought EGM in its first year of print all I can say is... where do I sign up? (To either subscribe to or write for this new magazine/site.)

J-Rzez

Best of luck to them. Ashame it's not going to be the old crew though, guess we'll have to see if they can rebuild some synergy again.

Alphahawk

Awesome news! It'll be nice to have something to pick up from the news stand again.

To all you naysayers out there keep in mind EGM went belly up mainly because of mismanagement and not because "The print industry is in decline" Other videogame publications such as EDGE, Game Informer, and Gamepro seem to be doing just fine. Still running a magazine in any enviornment is hardwork, even moreso when it's an upstart, I hope they relize what they are getting themselves into.

It will be intresting to see if they start over with the numbering or continue with what it was prior to closure.

DMeisterJ said:
Do I still get my free issues?
I was going to ask the same question.

When they went under, my subscription wasn't replaced with anything.

Good news though. :) Even if I have to... *gasp* pay for a subscription. :lol

TheFreshPrince

I'm guessing they will build an all new staff then?

No way they are gonna just grab all of the old writers/editors....everybody seems to finally be settled.

It will be interesting to see if they can build new personalities a la Shane, or if they'll just try and hire current writers from other sites/pubs.

GDGF

Soothsayer
All you guys hoping to get your free subscriptions renewed are going to put them out of business again :lol

vitaflo

Jax said:
I buy EDGE every month. I don't buy EGM. EDGE's articles are also highly revisitable.

They tried this, it was Next Generation (which I still think the first two years were the best US game publication ever). Obviously it failed. Perhaps times have changed though.

ZeoVGM

Banned
Wow. How often do magazines come back from the dead like this? Especially in this day and age.

I hope they continue with the same numbering and the old logo. Not that ugly-as-shit logo that it's used for the past few years.

Alphahawk

GDGF said:
All you guys hoping to get your free subscriptions renewed are going to put them out of business again :lol

Wasn't the free subscription thing a deal with the publishers of said magazines? If so EGM could easily opt out of this promotion.

dacuk

Darkmakaimura said:
Meh. EGM was awesome years ago, but they really went downhill. If they can back to the "old days" of EGM (say, what they were about six or so years ago) I'll care. If not, I'll stick to GameInformer.

This.

And no more Halo worshipping, please. I cancelled my subscription during Shoe's reign for that.

junker

So what was Steve Harris up to since? Has he remained in the industry? I'm kind of curious now. Ed Semrad too, for that matter.

If he returns, it would be semradical!

2q0niu0.jpg

i love EGM, been reading it since 1990 or so. seeing it go was like having to watch a family dog get put down

but i think resurrecting it is kind of pointless. it went out of print because the medium was more or less obsolete, that's just the harsh reality. but here's hoping i'm wrong and it'll come back strong and be in print for decades to come

Alphahawk

Milky has a blog discussing the revised publication:http://www.1up.com/do/blogEntry?bId=8991643&publicUserId=4549175

The most intresting bit of news is he hints at old staff returning

would wager that some one-time members of EGM will return, though. I saw a couple, former, and very key members of EGM meeting with Steve when I arrived for my appointment (I'll let you guess who), so I know that he was very interested in bringing back the people who really made the magazine. So, when EGM launches later this year, please do the right thing and show your support.

Milky also discusses the "lost" issue of EGM and why it probably will never see the light of day.

Barrett2

GDGF said:

This. I would gladly pony up $8 for an issue if it was an American version of Edge. Quality paper, original artwork, in-depth writing..... wildly controversial scores...

Alphahawk said:
Milky has a blog discussing the revised publication:http://www.1up.com/do/blogEntry?bId=8991643&publicUserId=4549175

The most intresting bit of news is he hints at old staff returning.
You missed one pivotal part of that line.
I saw a couple, former, and very key members of EGM meeting with Steve when I arrived for my appointment (I'll let you guess who, but hey, if the shoe fits)...

Everyone kill your enthusiasm. Sounds like it'll be Halo love-in central again.

Schrade

ShinoguTakeruKoeru said:
You missed one pivotal part of that line.

Aw crap... way to kill the buzz.

Nizz

Wow, this is great! I still miss getting a magazine every month covering games. I flirted with the idea of Game Informer but..... nah.

Hope they manage to get some of the og's back. I'm all for something new, but I also want some familiarity.

ZeoVGM

Banned
daCuk said:
This.

And no more Halo worshipping, please. I cancelled my subscription during Shoe's reign for that.

ShinoguTakeruKoeru said:

Well these might be the worst posts on GAF this week.

How exactly is a video game magazine liking a great video game a bad thing?

lawblob said:
So many questions...

Will it go high end? I would love an American version of Edge.

This exactly. A full-on reboot is both the only thing will work and the only thing that could hope to do justice to the legacy of the original. A "continuation" is doomed and, absent the staff, unwanted. Play it up big, and don't in any way try to be, or compete with, the Web.

I will approach this with skepticism and trepidation. That said:
FFFFFFFUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUCCCCCCCCCCCKKKKKKKK!!!!!!!!

t7csvq.jpg

AnnSwag

angry @ Blu-Ray's success
So what about us people who had like 4 months left on their subscription when EGM died? Do we get 4 months free or did those 4 disappear.

You guys need to think a bit more about this. It isn't like the entire staff that you knew and loved is coming back. Everyone has a new job now. Who do you expect to write this thing and why would it be successful this time around?

Top Bottom