• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

EGM is coming back. For serious.

Jimmy Stav said:
You guys need to think a bit more about this. It isn't like the entire staff that you knew and loved is coming back. Everyone has a new job now. Who do you expect to write this thing and why would it be successful this time around?
For me, that's balanced out by the fact that I'm incredibly excited that there's another gaming magazine for me to pick up that's not months old issues of Games™. And something about the dude that created EGM rebuying the EGM name and running it himself gives me faith that he gets it and knows what he's doing. It's ballsy in a way I can get behind.

neoism

explode1.gif

AnnSwag said:
So what about us people who had like 4 months left on their subscription when EGM died? Do we get 4 months free or did those 4 disappear.

This is a good question. I had about 4 months left as well that I actually PAID for. Ziff David won't respond to my emails, but it has been too long to dispute the credit card charge. I was about to contact the BBB, but now that this news has come out I'm wondering what to do next.

jax (old)

Banned
AnnSwag said:
So what about us people who had like 4 months left on their subscription when EGM died? Do we get 4 months free or did those 4 disappear.

LOL @ you lot. let go. They went out of business. This is a new venture. It wasn't a scam.

Pretend you donated to rebelfm.

Now, if there's a scam *cough*

Outcast2004 said:
How? Those were the glory days. Nice long write ups about the upcoming games.

THe 16 bit days fucking ROCKED. 300+ page magazines full of content.
Well for one the writing in nineties EGM was pretty middling. For two, consider what magazines in those days had aside from previews, reviews and features: pages upon pages of screenshots, the latest news, updates and announcements, cheats, strategy guides, and crappy fan art. All of these things are completely pointless with the internet. I'd much rather have seventy pages of well-written, unique and interesting content as opposed to going back to the phone book days and the weak writing and page inflation that came with it.

Not to mention that there's no way a magazine that size could really succeed in this day and age without a ton of advertising, something that a niche magazine like this would be hard pressed to do.

Fucking awesome that it's coming back, but it does suck that the lost issue must remain lost. Perhaps one day the stars will align.

I don't suppose the two year subscription I had will carry over? The magazine folded after I received my second issue. I was pissed, and it was the only time I'd ever subscribed to a magazine.

Outcast2004 said:
How? Those were the glory days. Nice long write ups about the upcoming games.

THe 16 bit days fucking ROCKED. 300+ page magazines full of content.

The writing in the old EGM was so, so bad. Even the reviews were absurd, 4 little writeups that invariably all stated the same crap 4 times in only slightly different wording. It made Gamepro look insightful.

I loved all the screenshots though. I used to drool over the international sections, all these exotic games I'd never play until years later.

agrajag

Banned
revolverjgw said:
I don't suppose the two year subscription I had will carry over? The magazine folded after I received my second issue. I was pissed, and it was the only time I'd ever subscribed to a magazine.

The writing in the old EGM was so, so bad. Even the reviews were absurd, 4 little writeups that invariably all stated the same crap 4 times in only slightly different wording. It made Gamepro look insightful.

I loved all the screenshots though. I used to drool over the international sections, all these exotic games I'd never play until years later.

Bullshit. EGM was always the magazine for mature gamers and Game Pro was for little babies.

camineet

Banned
Now if only Addy Eddy would come back and somehow make Video Games & Computer Entertainment rise from its gwave, we'd be fucking set.

Dartastic

Looks like Dan Hsu might be involved. ...or maybe I'm just reading too much into Milky's blog.

Milky's 1up blog said:
While none of us have an EGM tattoo (I don't think we do), once a member of EGM, always a member. We're a fraternity. I would wager that some one-time members of EGM will return, though. I saw a couple, former, and very key members of EGM meeting with Steve when I arrived for my appointment (I'll let you guess who, but hey, if the shoe fits), so I know that he was very interested in bringing back the people who really made the magazine.

Word. :D

http://www.1up.com/do/blogEntry?bId=8991643&publicUserId=4549175

Edit - Oh wait, this was already mentioned in the thread. Oh well. I still think it's cool. :lol

Fuzzy

I would bang a hot farmer!
Will it continue the old numbering or will it pull a page out of the comic world and go with a volume 2?

Kintaro

Worships the porcelain goddess
Well, if they're truly thinking of making a go at it, I hope they have some great ideas. Trying the same old stuff will see the magazine crash and burn.

VALIS

I'm excited, but I hope they try for something a little different. I'm not sure the old previews/reviews format works anymore these days when you get can all the information you'd ever want about a game via the internet. In the pre-internet days, magazines were all we had as far as finding out details about a game or seeing what it looked like. Just don't need previews from a magazine anymore, and it's why I currently have 0 game magazine subs when I used to have 3-6 at any one time.

Something like a video game "enthusiast" magazine would be awesome. A mixture of old and new, PC, consoles and handhelds, keep the previews stuff limited, more interviews, editorials, tasteful covers... something targeted at the 20-40 year old demographic instead of teens. Like how Next Generation was early on (but preferably without their love of hyperbole).

Is Sushi X coming back?? Who was sushi X anyway?

And they need to bring back the holiday buyer's guide I still have some from the 90s. Those guides are a treasure of mine. So much nostalgia.

VALIS said:
I'm excited, but I hope they try for something a little different. I'm not sure the old previews/reviews format works anymore these days when you get can all the information you'd ever want about a game via the internet. In the pre-internet days, magazines were all we had to find out details about a game or what it looked like. Just don't need previews from a magazine anymore, and it's why I currently have 0 game magazine subs when I used to have 3-6 at any one time.

Something like a video game "enthusiast" magazine would be awesome. A mixture of old and new, PC, consoles and handhelds, keep the previews stuff limited, more interviews, editorials, tasteful covers... something targeted at the 20-40 year old demographic instead of teens. Like how Next Generation was early on (but preferably without their love of hyperbole).

Please.

I can't tell you how embarrassing it was to have this issue lying around:

egm232.jpg

Kintaro

Worships the porcelain goddess
Guybrush Threepwood said:
Please.

I can't tell you how embarrassing it was to have this issue lying around:

Really? Just how embarrassing was it? Try to put it into words the best you can.

D

Deleted member 20415

Unconfirmed Member
Tatsumaki Senpuukyaku! said:
Mielke clairifys in that blog that UGO doesn't own EGM.

Correct. They only bought 1UP and the web properties, and did not acquire any assets related to EGM. Ziff offered it for sale, but the focus of UGO is on web properties.

Top Bottom