• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

EGM is coming back. For serious.

Sapiens

SailorDaravon said:
This was the FIRST thing I thought of; why the hell aren't more people mentioning this stuff? I know there was at least several public examples of fucked up stuff going on under Harris.

I think we need someone to elaborate on these scandals. The only ones I've ever heard about were when certain editors complained about the old management. Most noticeable Chris Johnson, who seemed to rank really high on the annoying nerd metre. I don't blame Ed for hating him.

Ravidrath said:
I know this sounds cool and all, but EGM got a lot better after Steve Harris sold it to Ziff-Davis, both in quality of coverage and industry reputation. Going back to that regime doesn't necessarily bode well for the magazine.

Oh yeah, the Official Final Fantasy VII Magazine was sooo much better than the Official Street Fighter II Magazine.

People are way overthinking this! It's a groovy magazine. Read it on the shitter and have fun. I'm happy.

agrajag

Banned
camineet said:
I disagree, totally & completely.

EGM was awesome during the Sendai days but became worse & worse under Ziff Davis.

The first few years under Ziff Davis were awesome. It's around the time when GC/PS2/X Box generation started when they started sucking it hardcore.

Lo-Volt

Well, this can be very good news. I really hope the magazine can find a lasting base and bring something unique to the table, though. I'll probably grab one issue and see what it's like.

EGM.jpg

hell yes.

SuperPac

Funny that they're back to spelling out the whole name. :)

That's a nice looking cover. I wonder if it's a mock-up for an advertising rate card or if it is indicative of the actual first cover. Either way, looks pretty hot. Looking forward to this revival, and can't wait to see who's on the staff (haven't heard anything at all which is kind of interesting...).

Gomu Gomu said:
wait... Am I reading Gears of War 3?
Shouldn't that be God of War 3? :lol

If it's a mock-up done for an ad rate card it's possible they just put in whatever and it's just for illustrative purposes. I believe this was done once before with the mocked-up EGM2 first-cover that had a bullet point about Mortal Kombat III or something and everyone went crazy.

Gomu Gomu

SuperPac said:
If it's a mock-up done for an ad rate card it's possible they just put in whatever and it's just for illustrative purposes. I believe this was done once before with the mocked-up EGM2 first-cover that had a bullet point about Mortal Kombat III or something and everyone went crazy.

Ah I see.

SuperPac said:
Funny that they're back to spelling out the whole name. :)

That's a nice looking cover. I wonder if it's a mock-up for an advertising rate card or if it is indicative of the actual first cover. Either way, looks pretty hot. Looking forward to this revival, and can't wait to see who's on the staff (haven't heard anything at all which is kind of interesting...).

you could be correct. I pulled this off of Steve Harris' Facebook page. He also posted that they were looking for published game journalists just recently.

mr stroke said:
This can't be real?

has a print magazine ever folded then came back?

It is real, the owner forgot his name, has been posting up on Facebook for the past couple of months about its comeback.

Biff

I am in the 5% of readers who actually paid, get this, money for their EGM. I know.

I really hope we get our paid subscriptions carried over. I never even got Maxim for the remainder of my subscription... There must be a way to distinguish between paid subscribers and freebie hunters.

C'mon EGM, do the right thing!

D

Deleted member 20415

Unconfirmed Member
TheChillyAcademic said:
I am also confused, is this an online publication or an actual physical revival?

Both. The magazine is the business, but they'll have a site presence on some level.

ChefRamsay said:
I am in the 5% of readers who actually paid, get this, money for their EGM. I know.

I really hope we get our paid subscriptions carried over. I never even got Maxim for the remainder of my subscription... There must be a way to distinguish between paid subscribers and freebie hunters.

C'mon EGM, do the right thing!

Won't happen... it's not even the same company. Ziff sold your subscription to Maxim... they also sold the name EGM to Steve Harris... two separate entities. This is not the EGM you subscribed to.

Hobbun

El_TigroX said:
Both. The magazine is the business, but they'll have a site presence on some level.

That's good to hear. I know you always find out info online long before each monthly magazine comes out, but I like something you can pick up and page through.

When they get this up and going again, I will be ordering a subscription. When are they supposed to be starting this? Or has it started already?

djtiesto

is beloved, despite what anyone might say
Hopefully we'll see less snark, more 500-page issues, and more import coverage... like the good ol' Steve Harris/Ed Semrad days.

beelzebozo

Jealous Bastard
djtiesto said:
Hopefully we'll see less snark, more 500-page issues, and more import coverage... like the good ol' Steve Harris/Ed Semrad days.

that's actually a good question. are they changing the model for the magazine, or is it just "egm part deux?" it'd be nice if they took the opportunity to look to a mag like EDGE for their new modus operandi: small subscriber base that pays a premium, excellent paper quality, focus on in-depth stories. . . maybe even bimonthly rather than monthly. i'd be so all over that.

While I have fondness for EGM that goes all the way back to the first issue, I was kinda pleased they would not be around to review Endless Ocean 2. Oh well, maybe they have learned their lesson.

mr stroke said:
This can't be real?

has a print magazine ever folded then came back?

Cracked Magazine

jooey

The Motorcycle That Wouldn't Slow Down
djtiesto said:
Steve Harris has a time machine too?!?

Barrett2

Blast Processing said:
That's what makes it so appealing to those of us who carried this shit to 7th grade in 1994.

So true. Few memories can compare to the awesomeness of getting home from school in junior high, looking in the mailbox, and seeing the beastly Holiday preview guide, running inside the house triumphantly, and instantly making the wrong decision by getting hyped up on some lame Lynx game they had a tiny snippet of coverage on.

lawblob said:
So true. Few memories can compare to the awesomeness of getting home from school in junior high, looking in the mailbox, and seeing the beastly Holiday preview guide, running inside the house triumphantly, and instantly making the wrong decision by getting hyped up on some lame Lynx game they had a tiny snippet of coverage on.
Haha, god. For me it was PC Gamer and CGW, both of which I subscribed to for about a decade, but yeah that is a potent memory. It was the absolute goddamn most exciting moment when one of those mags arrived. I'd read the entire thing cover to cover every month. I really wish that were still the way I was accustomed to reading about games.

Top Bottom