• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

EGM is coming back. For serious.

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
Tiktaalik said:
Monocle Magazine.

- $10
- Subscriptions cost MORE than newsstand
- Massively successful
- Increasing readership

Of course judging a book by its cover this EGM seems to be going for the exact same hardcore gamer demographic and news/previews/reviews as the old EGM so it'll never have the success that Monocle is having.
Yeah, as much as I'd love an Edge USA in terms of size, quality writing, and quality paper, I don't think it's ever happening. Even if EGM were to go back to its "glory days" (take your pick I guess), it was never like that.

Xellos

Nice to see EGM coming back, and I'm definitely liking the old-style logo. Hope this reboot is more early/mid 90's EGM and less 2000's EGM. Early/mid 90's was a kind of golden age for gaming magazines IMO.

Tobor

SuperPac said:
Well it's different now. He's starting from 0. New EGM doesn't have to hit the circ numbers of old EGM (especially since he didn't buy the subscriber base off of Ziff, which IMO was probably a very good thing). They could start with a realistic rate base that's more attuned to this new era of print with a lower circ and probably be OK. I mean, Play is still around...what does that tell you?

It's a glass half full scenario. You see Play as still alive, I see them as not dead yet. Even with reduced ad rates, I'm not seeing a need for the gaming industry to continue advertising in print.

That said, I'd actually like to be proven wrong on this. I wouldn't subscribe, but it would be nice for the people who want print to have the option.

SuperPac

oatmeal said:
What happens to my SUBSCRIPTION

Ziff sold you to Maxim. Then they sold the EGM name to Steve Harris. So your subscription is now a Maxim subscription, not an EGM subscription.

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
SuperPac said:
Ziff sold you to Maxim. Then they sold the EGM name to Steve Harris. So your subscription is now a Maxim subscription, not an EGM subscription.
I got PCG! Which isn't great, but better than Maxim.

EYEL1NER

Wow...just saw the news. This is amazing, I cannot wait for this. I loved EGM so much! I only started reading in 1999, so I didn't really get to live through these glory years, but from what I have seen from all of the old issues I have bought from random places, it looked really good.
My only hope is that this magazine will be thick. I am talking "games tm" UK thick. That is a hefty rag and I still have every issue of it I bought in Korea. Then again, I am a pack rat and a hoarder, so I still have every one of my EGM from the past 10 years as well as a ton of GIs.

Tobor

thebaroness said:
I applied since http://www.gamegirl.com just got shut down by Gamepro. I'm no seasoned veteran, but I've got nothing to lose by applying :shrugs:

GameGirl said:
GamePro has decided to focus their attention on the main site: GamePro.com. This sadly means as of today they are closing all their blogfaction sites, GameGirl included.

Wow, John Davison is cleaning house over there. I'm sorry to hear you're out of work. Best of luck.

Raistlin

Combichristoffersen said:
Fuck yeah, Steve Harris is awesome.

muso-pic-steve_harris.jpg

..oh wait, you didn't mean the Iron Maiden bassist? :(

Ah ... Mr. Triplet

EGM is just a name, while it's a name that carries a lot of respect, without the personalities that made up what EGM was, I will keep a wait and see approach to this revival.

If even part of the former staff was coming back I would be extremely hyped though

Calcaneus

I'll just stay right now, if this comes back for realsies, I'll subscribe as soon as I can. Its the least I could do for the magazine that made me more into games than I ever was.

I can't believe anyone cares about this. As if the concept weren't dire enough, that mock-up of a cover fucking screams lowest common denominator drivel.

Halo Reach?! MEGATON.

I'm hoping that cover has placeholder fonts and stuff. I don't hope it's fake though, because Halo: Reach content is needed. Gears of War 3 doesn't seem likely though... =\
The idea that they actually have anything to say about Reach is so far beyond gone there are no words. It's just another title they threw on the cover to get interest. The idea that Reach will have a debut that doesn't include a cover article is stupidly absurd. And Gears 3 is just stupid. This is the fucking N4G of gaming magazines.

Seth C

GodfatherX said:
EGM is just a name, while it's a name that carries a lot of respect, without the personalities that made up what EGM was, I will keep a wait and see approach to this revival.

If even part of the former staff was coming back I would be extremely hyped though

It is being brought back from one of of the magazine's original creators. You may be too young to remember it, but the Harris and Semrad days were magic.

Is there any new info on this front? I had heard December 1 as the new launch date, but since that is Tuesday and I haven't heard a thing about it, I'm assuming it got pushed back?

Metalic Sand

who is Emo-Beas?
IMO its going to have to hit this Holiday. Would be bad for them to launch during another time seeing as this is when lots of people get subscriptions as gifts for christmas ect..

cuyahoga

Dudebro, My Shit is Fucked Up So I Got to Shoot/Slice You II: It's Straight-Up Dawg Time
Sapiens said:
Something tells me this thing isn't going to get off the ground. And if it does, it's going to flop. Hard.
Yes, Steve's ambitions are vague at best, all of his business plan--print and digital--reeks of late nineties/early aughts cluelessness, and it doesn't seem like he has anyone from the old days turning. The new EGM is more of the same old crap, and it was really dispiriting to see that cover.

tenritsu

Banned
Sapiens said:
Something tells me this thing isn't going to get off the ground. And if it does, it's going to flop. Hard.
Sounds about right. Shame really since the original was such an integral part of my childhood.

Irish

For a few years, they had painting-like covers that were really great, but then they switched over to GamePro type covers. I was super disappointed.

I love print magazines though, so I really hope this gets off the ground. Unfortunately, things are looking kind of dire. :(

So basically no one has a clue what's going on with this relaunch? Not a good sign, indeed.

Any lurkers with inside info want to do us a favor and spill...if there's anything to be spilled, that is.

SuperPac said:

And boy, Maxim is definitely close to the worst magazine I think I've ever read. Probably doesn't help that when they deliver it, it smells like a used car salesman thanks to the ten different cologne samples in every issue.

Dot50Cal

Banned
Soo.. I'm in Wegmans today, and I stop by the magazine rack just to see..

SEFleWgvY.jpg

Has my town beat everyone else? Anyone out there still see the last issue around?

Flavius

I think that last EGM cover actually beats Andy McNamara dunking on the cover of GI for worst cover in the history of forever.

It's shit from a distance, shittier at mid-range, and shittiest at arm's length.

ravien56

Flavius said:
I think that last EGM cover actually beats Andy McNamara dunking on the cover of GI for worst cover in the history of forever.

It's shit from a distance, shittier at mid-range, and shittiest at arm's length.
Lol what? Seriously? Is there a pic of this cover?

cuyahoga

Dudebro, My Shit is Fucked Up So I Got to Shoot/Slice You II: It's Straight-Up Dawg Time
CartridgeBlower said:
Any lurkers with inside info want to do us a favor and spill...if there's anything to be spilled, that is.
It'll begin as a subscription-only weekly digital publication, joined few months later by a monthly print mag that will appear on newsstands, and AFAIK no one is returning from the old publication.

Shurs

cuyahoga said:
It'll begin as a subscription-only weekly digital publication, joined few months later by a monthly print mag that will appear on newsstands, and AFAIK no one is returning from the old publication.

When?

Though it doesn't really matter. EGM is just a name. If none of the staff returns, it might as well be Gamepro or any other mag.

NYR

cuyahoga said:
Ugh.

Will wait for print and then you can have my money.

Flavius

ravien56 said:
Lol what? Seriously? Is there a pic of this cover?

My internets search turned up nada, but it's certainly out there...somewhere.

I found an old copy of GI in the garage the other day (issue #100, I'm pretty certain) and it had a blurb about it.

As for EGM, I was merely lukewarm on the whole idea back when it was first announced. When Milky revealed that Harris was consulting with him on the revamp...pfffft...I just said fuck it. No disrespect to him intended, of course.

cuyahoga

Shurs said:
Tomorrow or this week should be when the first digital launches, but I lost interest when the cover was unveiled, so it could have been pushed back.

Shurs said:
Though it doesn't really matter. EGM is just a name. If none of the staff returns, it might as well be Gamepro or any other mag.
This.

Blueblur1

cuyahoga said:
Do not want. Especially if it's written by a bunch of nobodies.

Top Bottom