• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

EGM June 2008 Reviews and Rumors

traveler

Not Wario
RBH said:
Holy shit at the next issue. Gears 2, Banjo 3, and Infamous! :O

If this turns out to be true, I don't think it's a good move by Sony to limit the distribution of the 80gb.

Thanks for posting this.

This issue went to print before the PS3 blog revealed that America would be getting a limited amount of the special edition PS3s, so I'd guess he is referring to those and not the 80gb bundle.

Elbrain

Suckin' dicks since '66
Livin_Lovin said:
I'm surprised there aren't more people bitching about Mario Kart Wii.

Although, I'm not surprised by the scores.

Don't worry it will come soon enough, the Nintendo Defense force will come in and armed!

mollipen

SuperSonic1305 said:
- Persona 4 in North America before the end of 2008, Persona PSP and PS3 in the works

I said it before, I'll say it again: I really wanted P3 on the PSP for some reason, so if we get some sort of PSP Persona, I'm sure I'll be happy. Oh, and yeah, PS3 Persona is hot sex.

Persona 3: FES - A, A, A
Good: Plenty of new content, $30 price
Bad: Some questionable soundtrack choices

The anti-P3-soundtrack folks are just nuts, I'm sorry.

Super Dodgeball Brawlers - C+, C, C+
Good: A content-rich remake, new special moves
Bad: Short on bells and whistles, outdated presentation

This is a bit unfair I think. What does "outdated presentation" mean? If they mean graphics, the game went back to the old-school Kunio look, which is EXACTLY what it needed. Plus, the new all-out brawn mode is nice, and there's tons of little features scattered throughout the game. And, I mean, eight players off of one copy of the game!

Movement speed is a bit slow, but honestly, that was the only thing I found that left me wanting with Brawlers.

cw_sasuke

If all DLC came tied to $13 figurines, I'd consider all DLC to be free
wow, atlus is really starting to milk the shit outta the persona ip....

nice.... :D

v0yce

acevans2 said:
@ Rock Band 2: New modes? Don't give a fuck. They better not be holding back good DLC to put it in this EXTREMELY UNNECESSARY sequel.

Agreed. Unless they allow DLC from RB1 to transfer over to RB2, sequels to such a high priced game with extra investments, is a good way to kill a fan base IMO.

Meloche

SuperSonic1305 said:
- Rock Band 2 with new modes
Seems completely unecessary, although if the Wii version isn't gimped this time around at least some good will come of it.

Really like that Blast Works score.

Guy Legend

Bullshit on the MGS4 bundle limitability. If they're talking about the Gunmetal version, then yes. The standard 80gb black unit is back and MGS4/dualshock 3 bundled in should be widely available for some time.

wait a minute. How the hell can you pre-order the MGS4 bundle by June if no one will let you? I've tried. At a EBgames in Canada, and a Gamestop in the states. They just said I have to wait until release day.

grrrr.....

jjasper

Star Power said:
wait, are they talking about the gunmetal grey or the regular edition?

I just assumed that it was the gunmetal one since it has already been stated numerous times it was going to be very limited.

levious

That throwing stick stunt of yours has boomeranged on us.
shidoshi said:
This is a bit unfair I think. What does "outdated presentation" mean? If they mean graphics, the game went back to the old-school Kunio look, which is EXACTLY what it needed. Plus, the new all-out brawn mode is nice, and there's tons of little features scattered throughout the game. And, I mean, eight players off of one copy of the game!

Movement speed is a bit slow, but honestly, that was the only thing I found that left me wanting with Brawlers.

sorry for the side question, but are Play going no scores from now on or is it up in the air?

cw_sasuke

If all DLC came tied to $13 figurines, I'd consider all DLC to be free
so tecmo bowl for wii/ds is confirmed ? any screens in the mag ?

Grand Theft Auto IV - A+, A+, A
Good: World, relationships, story
Bad: Some missions canned, control takes getting used to
PS3 or 360 version: 360 for DLC, PS3 version looks slightly more vibrant and sharp
If these are the worst things about GTAIV we're in for a good time.

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
SuperSonic1305 said:
Reviews:

Mario Kart Wii - B+, C+, C
Good: A few great new tracks and powerups
Bad: Dumbed-down gameplay, predictable design

Bullshit. I'm calling it right now. "Dumbed-down" how? Because you can't snake? It's not like the Mario Kart series has been the pinnacle of racing technique.

Don't even get me started about the "predictable design" part. You could use that damn argument for every sequel released. Funny how they don't use that for GTA4.

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
Mmmkay said:
It would be real swell if we knew the tiniest iota more about LA Noire, fuck the platform it's on.

Yeah.

Does anyone get the impression that Qman doesn't even post rumors anymore as much as he posts non-NDA'd non-released news or tidbits from publishers? Nothing really wild and crazy anymore except the PS3/PS2 waggle wands from a while back...and I'd be willing to be they are real.

Tailzo

SuperSonic1305 said:
- Persona 4 in North America before the end of 2008, Persona PSP and PS3 in the works
- New Castlevania for DS, Wii, and a 3D 360/PS3 game
WOW, I hope some of these rumours are true.

ethelred

A PSP Persona game would be supreme. A PS3 one as well, though, after two successive years of console Personae, would be overkill.

Bioshock PS3 in September with all DLC and better visuals
Please be true. I don't have a 360 yet, and the upgrades included on-disc would only sweeten the deal.

Persona 4 in North America before the end of 2008, Persona PSP and PS3 in the works
Yes to Persona 5, as long as it's far down the line, and there's no way I'll be done Fes by the time P4 hits.

PS3 or 360 version: 360 for DLC, PS3 version looks slightly more vibrant and sharp
Oh shi...

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
Sadist said:
More info about that Castlevania rumor please!!! Especialy the Wii one!

I, too, would like more info about this one.

2D on Wii? Please, make it so.

FrankT

SuperSonic1305 said:
- Bioshock PS3 in September with all DLC and better visuals, Bioshock 2 shown around same time

Sounds like Rayne S. word for word. Either that was lifted straight from the Surfer Girl thread or this guy has called some serious stuff. Anyhow, with this and the GTA IV bundle, the Fallout 3 rumor seems more and more possible. I do think it will come to each of the platforms announced, but there certainly could be a timed exclusive deal in the works to be announced at E3 if I had to guess. Rayne S. lives on, for now.

Ah, and I thought Skip said he couldn't tell the difference. It's cooking real hot now, yea hear.

Majmun

So the Ps3 version of GTAIV seems to look better afterall.

Can't wait for the Banjo 3 and inFamous previews.

mollipen

levious said:
sorry for the side question, but are Play going no scores from now on or is it up in the air?

We're actually in the middle of discussing that. At least for the next issue we produce, they'll still be there, from after that it's very likely that our review system will be different.

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
Second said:
So the Ps3 version of GTAIV seems to look better afterall.
What?

ZeoVGM

Banned
SuperSonic1305 said:
Tecmo Bowl: Kickoff for Wii/DS

!!!

Nice.

Next Month Reviews: MGS4, Ninja Gaiden 2, Wii Shit, Final Fantasy Tactics A2

LOL CUZ IT RHYMES

HOW WITTY AND ORIGINAL

- Max Payne 3, Red Dead Revolver 2, LA Noire for 360 as well

Exclusive?

- New Castlevania for DS, Wii, and a 3D 360/PS3 game

So good new Castlevania games for DS and Wii and shitty ones for 360 and PS3?

- MGS4 PS3 bundle will be VERY limited. If you haven't pre-ordered by June you might be screwed

Uh.. Last I checked you couldn't pre-order it.

Mario Kart Wii - B+, C+, C
Good: A few great new tracks and powerups
Bad: Dumbed-down gameplay, predictable design

Oh jesus.

So tired of racing games getting treated like this yet sports games don't.

Actually, I'm tired of Mario Kart getting treated like that. I don't see people complaining about the design being the same for GT, Wipeout, etc.

So basically, 360 version is better.

And what is that about "some missions canned?"

Hcoregamer00

The 'H' stands for hentai.
ethelred said:
A PSP Persona game would be supreme. A PS3 one as well, though, after two successive years of console Personae, would be overkill.

QFT.

I would love portable persona of any kind, but a console Persona can wait until 2010.

Dante

Plinko said:
Bullshit. I'm calling it right now. "Dumbed-down" how? Because you can't snake? It's not like the Mario Kart series has been the pinnacle of racing technique.

Don't even get me started about the "predictable design" part. You could use that damn argument for every sequel released. Funny how they don't use that for GTA4.

Oh stop....GTAIV is many things, predictable is NOT one of them.

GreekWolf

I hope we're treated to some exclusive Banjo goodies, instead of just cut/paste from Microsoft's media day next month.

With all the heavy hitters featured, the July issue has legendary potential.

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
Plinko said:

Dumbed down cause now there is no snaking to make up for ridiculously retarded items. Seriously the Blue Shell and Lightning have to go. People in last should not be affecting people half a course ahead

f@luS

More than a member.
SuperSonic1305 said:

Im still having a hard time believin ps3 version would be better than 360 from a technical standpoint....let alone exactly equal.
If its at least equal , PS3 all the way. If its not and smoother for exemple on 360, then 360.

Dever

Banned
In before GTAIV console war shitstorm. I hope.

Bioshock on PS3.. Awesome! I'm getting a Ps3 but I really want this game. They better not be faking that Infamous preview. Didn't they promise that one in like January? Along with FFXIII and Alan Wake? Christ.. :lol GTAIV is awesome. MGS4 is going to be awesome. This was my contribution to this thread.

Tailzo

Hcoregamer00 said:
QFT.

I would love portable persona of any kind, but a console Persona can wait until 2010.
If I had to choose, I'd actually rather have a PSP game first too, even if a PS3 title would be incredible too.

levious

That throwing stick stunt of yours has boomeranged on us.
shidoshi said:
We're actually in the middle of discussing that. At least for the next issue we produce, they'll still be there, from after that it's very likely that our review system will be different.

cool, I'd love it if it was text only. Good first post-Dave issue. I liked his VR rating on that one game.

k79

Banned

Tears will flow, blood shall be shed :lol :lol :lol
Superior version confirmed!

Top Bottom