• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

EGM June 2008 Reviews and Rumors

ZeoVGM

Banned
Pimpbaa said:
SLIGHTLY more vibrant and sharp graphics is more important than DLC?

People are insane if they think the games won't look ALMOST identical. You'll probably have to really compare the two to see any real graphical difference. Therefore it's not an issue for me. I'm getting the version with extra gameplay content.

THOUGH I DUNNO THE PS3 SPECIAL EDITION HAS A CHICK ON THE COVER SUPERIOR CONFIRMED

jet1911

f@luS said:
I have never ever bought any DLC beside COD4 map pack. And i will not buy another one. I never ever finished any GTA (i went about 80% in vice city) , i may not finish this one at least never at 100% so more missions or something like that? i honestly dont care.

the only thing that matters for me , is the technical standpoint , coz GTA always had framerates issues and im a framerate whore...

More vibrant and sharper framerate is where it's at.

rhino4evr

Dr. Zoidberg said:
You know I can see GTA having two different sales spikes this year.

Looks like the PS3 version is "slightly" better, so a lot of people, myself included, will be picking it up on PS3. A lot of people are also discounting the DLC even though we have no idea what it is, because it's terribly convenient when making the choice right now.

However, if the DLC comes out and it is very good, I can see a lot of people picking up the 360 version at that time anyway because despite what they say right now they will lust after it if it is indeed excellent and worth the money. Rockstar wins because they get to sell the same game twice. Few people will buy used because the popularity of this game will mean used copies are scarce/expensive and people will opt to spend $5 more on a clean new copy.

It's brilliant, really.

no, it's more like people are stupid. if they have both systems and are interested in the future DLC they should buy the 360 version. I'm sure the visual differences between both versions will be extremely minor. Just like in Burnout and DMC4. These games are techinically supposed to look better on the PS3, but 99% of most gamers won't be able to tell the difference. The console war shit is getting so old. In my opinion the 360 owners have much more to brag about then the PS3 owners.

I always try to stay away from things like "vibrancy, and sharpness". Two things that also have a great deal to do with your tv's settings, if they can't actually be altered otherwise.

I care about texture quality, character models, fps, slowdown, etc.

That said I'm not calling bullshit, just saying that I don't think its worth arguing for or against.

ethelred

velvet_nitemare said:
How can you not want a PS3 persona.I've been waiting for Atlus to move the SMT games to current gen, and this news excites me greatly.

How can I not? For the exact reason I said: overkill. We got Persona 3 last year, and this year holds both P3 Fes and Persona 4. I can deal with a portable installment on top of all of that (even better, make the inevitable P4 Fes PS2/PSP multiplat), but Persona 5 right after? Give me a break. It's total overkill. And I don't really care about the whole "need Persona to be next gen!" hogwash when we're talking about such a low budget series.

Dante

GreekWolf said:
I've been burned enough times by EGM and Eurogamer to have learned not to take anyone's word about "teh supra version" at face value. There's entirely too many biases involved to trust anyone's judgment but my own. If it's a high-profile multiplatform title that I've been looking forward to, then I rent and test both versions, keeping the best one.

The head of Rockstar said he preferred the PS3's visuals. I think there is some credance to this. I think both are going to look great in the end, and it's not like you could go wrong either way.

Zenith

Banned
SuperSonic1305 said:
Reviews:

Mario Kart Wii - 8.0-8.5, 6.0-6.5, 5.0-5.5

Blast Works: Build, Trade, Destroy - 9.0-9.5, 8.5-9.0, 7.0-7.5

Castle of Shikigami III - 6.0-6.5, 6.0-6.5, 7.0-7.5

UEFA Euro 2008 - 8.0-8.5, 8.0-8.5, 9.0-9.5

NBA Ballers: Chosen One - 4.0-4.5, 3.5-4.0, 5.0-5.5

Grand Theft Auto IV - 10.0, 10.0, 9.0-9.5

Viking: Battle for Asgard - 4.0-4.5, 4.5-5.0, 6.0-6.5

Persona 3: FES - 9.0-9.5, 9.0-9.5, 9.0-9.5

Myst - 4.5-5.0, 3.5-4.0, 3.5-4.0

Super Dodgeball Brawlers - 6.0-6.5, 5.0-5.5, 6.0-6.5

Artadius

SuperSonic1305 said:
- Third Person Halo Prequel for Holiday 2009
- Bioshock PS3 in September with all DLC and better visuals, Bioshock 2 shown around same time
- Max Payne 3, Red Dead Revolver 2, LA Noire for 360 as well, GTA MMO
- Persona 4 in North America before the end of 2008, Persona PSP and PS3 in the works
- Rock Band 2 with new modes
- New Castlevania for DS, Wii, and a 3D 360/PS3 game
- MGS4 PS3 bundle will be VERY limited. If you haven't pre-ordered by June you might be screwed

AcidBigSmile.gif

mollipen

Myst - 4.5-5.0, 3.5-4.0, 3.5-4.0

I'm kind of surprised, because I actually scored a game lower than EGM.

(Well, you know, you can't really compare a native 1 - 10 score system to a letter grade system, so it's apples to oranges.)

Best looking will be the PC version, obviously. Aside from the fact 99% of my friends will be playing it on the 360, the DLC seems more attractive at this point. When I want to play the game in its best looking possible format, I will just get the inevitable PC version. Kind of a hollow thing to cling to at this point, if thats all the PS3 version will offer over the 360.

jaaz

Pimpbaa said:
SLIGHTLY more vibrant and sharp graphics is more important than DLC?

Well, that and the HDD install (assuming it makes difference).

Despite some of the views around here, not everyone cares for the "joy" of paying for downloadable content months after release. To me, the game is long enough. But that's just me. Some people love premium DLC and to them clearly the 360 is the better choice.

k79

Banned
jaaz said:
Perhaps because to some people having the best visual presentation in THIS game is more important than having the ability to buy downloadable missions later?

QFT!

I wants my GTA4 to be at its best!

f@luS

More than a member.
omg rite said:
People are insane if they think the games won't look ALMOST identical. You'll probably have to really compare the two to see any real graphical difference. Therefore it's not an issue for me. I'm getting the version with extra gameplay content.

THOUGH I DUNNO THE PS3 SPECIAL EDITION HAS A CHICK ON THE COVER SUPERIOR CONFIRMED
now this sounds like fanboy. Or i miss a point? its DLC u are talking about? there is no more content on 360, unless you pay for it which is totally different. And a LOT of people were expecting the PS3 version to be inferior with all the "360 main SKU" thing. If its equal its a big thing. If its superior , i would even call this "wow" .

Dante

f@luS said:
now this sounds like fanboy. Or i miss a point? its DLC u are talking about? there is no more content on 360, unless you pay for it which is totally different. And a LOT of people were expecting the PS3 version to be inferior with all the "360 main SKU" thing. If its equal its a big thing. If its superior , i would even call this "wow" .

I don't understand why people are getting upset, you really have the best of both worlds. If DLC is your thing get 360, if you want better performance get the PS3 it's nice to have choices.

It's easy for me, as good as GTA4 looks I'm going to be Busy with Resistance2 and LBP in the FAll.....Sorry Niko. :)

So no actual technical differences between the two then?

Everyone is going to have a great time with it. Simple as that.

Dante said:
I don't understand why people are getting upset, you really have the best of both worlds. If DLC is your thing get 360, if you want better performance get the PS3 it's nice to have choices.

It's easy for me, as good as GTA4 looks I'm going to be Busy with Resistance2 and LBP in the FAll.....Sorry Niko. :)

Where are you getting "better performance" from?

GreekWolf

Dante said:
The head of Rockstar said he preferred the PS3's visuals. I think there is some credance to this. I think both are going to look great in the end, and it's not like you could go wrong either way.
The head of Starbreeze said that the Darkness looked identical in every respect on both the 360 and PS3.

It was complete bullshit.

I won't even bother to discuss Assassin's Creed and DMC4.

As always, if you want the definitive version of a multiplatform title, then your best option is to Gamefly both and make the call yourself.

Dante

Francias Castiglione said:
So no actual technical differences between the two then?

Everyone is going to have a great time with it. Simple as that.

Where are you getting "better performance" from?

The fact that EGM, The head of Rockstar, and a "Rockstar rep" have said it looks better. We can argue the semantics of the wording all day, as I mentioned earlier the difference prob small, but some people it does make a differnce....Kinda like the option of DLC content does.

CoG

Grand Theft Auto IV - A+, A+, A
Good: World, relationships, story
Bad: Some missions canned, control takes getting used to
PS3 or 360 version: 360 for DLC, PS3 version looks slightly more vibrant and sharp

Hey Shane, what's up?

captive

Joe Six-Pack: posting for the common man
Seriously who cares, buy the version you want.

But whatever this statement will be argued upon anyway like it matters.

SuperSonic1305 said:
Grand Theft Auto IV - A+, A+, A
Good: World, relationships, story
Bad: Some missions canned, control takes getting used to
PS3 or 360 version: 360 for DLC, PS3 version looks slightly more vibrant and sharp

/popcorn.gif

Dante said:
The fact that EGM, The head of Rockstar, and a "Rockstar rep" have said it looks better. We can argue the semantics of the wording all day.

I'll argue that visual preference is fine, Houser said he liked it not that it looked better, but what mention has been made of technical differences like framerate, pop-in, pedestrian/traffic numbers and behaviour?

ZeoVGM

Banned
f@luS said:

I have no idea what you just said.

SPEA

GTA

If you have a 360 and don't own a PS3 - Get the 360 version
If you have a PS3 and don't own a 360- Get the PS3 version

If you have both:
-You plan to play more GTA once you finish - Get the 360 Version
-You don't plan to play more GTA once you finish - Get the PS3 Version

Ok. Sound good. More EGM talk.

_Angelus_

Banned
WE need a web site to play each side by side for like 60 minutes,have tons of video on it,and come to a conclusion to see the real difference. I'm glad I'm passing on the game,it seems to be stiring way too much shit anyways. As Gaming media are too ify to go by simply trusting one or the other on this one.

And I can't believe some of you who say fuck the downloadable content. Are you going to do that as well when it comes time to pony up for some of that on your favorite exclusive games also? Don't preach it if youre gonna gonna practice it brotha.

That shit is here to stay.

ZeoVGM

Banned
The fact that EGM, The head of Rockstar, and a "Rockstar rep" have said it looks better. We can argue the semantics of the wording all day.

And Lazlow said the 360 version is better because of DLC.

Your point?

This is stupid. And pointless.

traveler

Not Wario
I'm so tired of this stupid mask of civility everyone here occasinally tries to wear; this place is utterly transparent. So much shit. If I had any doubt that some of you wouldn't be making the same argument were the tables turned and the pros/cons switched, I might accept some of the reasons being given, but I don't. Not one bit. Anyway, I'll get out of this crap before it gets really "fun."

Bizzyb

Banned
HK-47 said:
All the other games had something to help balance out the ridiculousness. MK DS had snaking, 64 had battle mode (butchered in Wii), DD had double items, and SMK had actual balance. Plus it seems like blue shell and lightning had their frequency turned up for Wii. They didnt even allow us an item select to keep the rest of the items on. Pretty much every item in the game has a strategy to it use except for the two ridiculous ones. Plus many of the new items are fucking boring. POW block? WTF? Where is the Big Banana or the fireball?

First off, Snaking was BAD

Snaking took the fun out of what was once a happy go lucky kart race into a "who can exploit the game mechanics best and win" romp. When racing against Snakers, Other players were forced to either;

A: Try to imitate the snaker and completely fuck it up making their loss even MORE inevitable

or

B: Continue racing knowing that no matter what they would never win the race

Sorry, but that just isn't the Mario Kart way

As for MK64, yeah, the MP was a blast but it was confined to offline. now, we get to play Online. And it was done the way it was because Nintendo knows that it wouldn't be fun if some Noob lost all their balloons after getting cluster fucked by three red shells only 30 secs into the match.

yeah, I ca see it now, Casuals would REALLY love that

Double Dash's two items were nice and all but really, was it that big of a deal? If you were in first you got, like what, maybe two bananas and a green shell? big whoop. It was nice, but it wasn't gameplay defining.

I can't comment on the Pow Block or whatever new items there are but how is Adding New items a BAD thing? How exactly do they take out the Balance?

I support this thread format. I'd rather it not be posted until it has been read entirely.

Now I don't have to beg for summaries or rumours. Take note future EGM/Game Informer readers.

zoku88

I'm surprised they gave such a high score to FES. It seems most people downrate it because of Persona 3 already being released here.

EDIT: I doubt the Persona 4 thing.

Paracelsus

ethelred said:
How can I not? For the exact reason I said: overkill. We got Persona 3 last year, and this year holds both P3 Fes and Persona 4. I can deal with a portable installment on top of all of that (even better, make the inevitable P4 Fes PS2/PSP multiplat), but Persona 5 right after? Give me a break. It's total overkill. And I don't really care about the whole "need Persona to be next gen!" hogwash when we're talking about such a low budget series.

Wasn't a rumor quite some time ago about SMT4 being a work in progress on PS3?

Is not it possible that they're just making confusion between the main SMT series and the Persona "side"-series? A Persona spin-off on PSP sounds reasonable, but three official Persona installments in three years I agree, it's going a bit too far.

bluemax

Banned
is Person 3 FES limited run? My PS2 Slim laser died and I'm not buying another one (waiting to get a PS3 for MGS4) but I think I might want to play this at some point...

MoxManiac

some juicy rumors.

The Castlevania on Wii has me interested. Are they implying it's going to be 2D, or 2.5D?

I was going to wait until I had a capable PC to play Bioshock, but I may just get the PS3 version since I don't mind single player FPS on a pad.

Top Bottom