• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

EGX 2016 PSVR impressions.

Tillbo

Played Driveclub and really enjoyed the experience. It does genuinely feel like the future of gaming and is particularly enhanced with that game with a good wheel and pedals.

However I did have some issues...

Towards the end of the demo I really started to suffer motion sickness and a little dizziness which I've never experienced gaming before ever.

Also, the resolution was a little distracting at times. I'm no graphics snob (I love my 3DS) but I think because as the experience is so immersive anything that takes you out of that becomes so much more pronounced.

Still a little undecided what to do with my pre-order? Dunno if I'll get used to the motion sickness etc.

Ravage

I think you just sold me on Farpoint

Was given a chance to play Farpoint at TGS this year and i really enjoyed the experience. The gameplay is fun, intuitive (controls are spot-on) and the graphics is pretty good imo. No problems with the resolution here.

Ammogeddon

Can't deny I'm a little hesitant about buying PSVR in light of some of these comments.

For those that have tried it, how different is the image quality on VR headset compared to what is being displayed on the TV?

Without experiencing it oneself that's all I can go on and on that basis it looks decent.

I think that's the main problem, having people expecting image quality similar to what you watch on your TV. Good reason to try before buy.

Tip: Do not fuck with Windlands. Unlike on PC, you won't be able to get your money back if you find it makes you sick (it will probably make you sick).

What is the PSVR resolution compared to the Vive? If it's any worse then I'm probably not going to enjoy it. Vive is borderline as it is.

It's a little worse and for me it's an issue as well. FOV and resolution definitely need to improve as the tech gets better

Can't deny I'm a little hesitant about buying PSVR in light of some of these comments.

For those that have tried it, how different is the image quality on VR headset compared to what is being displayed on the TV?

Without experiencing it oneself that's all I can go on and on that basis it looks decent.

Hard to explain really. Just looks low res compared to what we're used to nowadays. In a demo environment it was very apparent. I'm sure it's something you'll get used to especially with good, immersive software. Like when I tried superhypercube, at first when I started, it was very obvious but once I got into the game, I didn't even notice it. If you really want to get a headset, I'd say go for it. If you're willing to wait, then I'm sure in the future the tech will get better.

I tried the psvr at a Best Buy recently and the one thing that really impressed me is how easy VR is. Just put on the headset and it works. There's no eye strain. It's so much easier on the eyes than traditional 3D with glasses

mrklaw

MrArseFace
Played Driveclub and really enjoyed the experience. It does genuinely feel like the future of gaming and is particularly enhanced with that game with a good wheel and pedals.

However I did have some issues...

Towards the end of the demo I really started to suffer motion sickness and a little dizziness which I've never experienced gaming before ever.

Also, the resolution was a little distracting at times. I'm no graphics snob (I love my 3DS) but I think because as the experience is so immersive anything that takes you out of that becomes so much more pronounced.

Still a little undecided what to do with my pre-order? Dunno if I'll get used to the motion sickness etc.

Were you crashing a lot, or going in reverse or drifting? Those can make my stomach go a little when playing project cars on vive. That initial acceleration can feel odd too but after a while I get used to it - as long as I'm pointing in the right direction down the track :)

I'm shortsighted and for gaming I would normally wear glasses, while day to day I use contacts.
Is it awkward to use while wearing glasses? I'd rather not use my lenses, they start to really hurt while gaming after a while.

Mula

I'm shortsighted and for gaming I would normally wear glasses, while day to day I use contacts.
Is it awkward to use while wearing glasses? I'd rather not use my lenses, they start to really hurt while gaming after a while.

You don't need glasses or lenses for vr when you are shortsighted

You shouldn't need them if you're short-sighted, but for anyone else, the headset basically has an adjuster that slides it towards or away from your eyes. It rests where you lock it and doesn't grip your face really. So the distance of the headset from your face can be adjusted to accomodate glasses as needed.

I've played on the Vive and it was a little awkward with glasses and it wasn't very comfortable and it steamed up a bit a few times too, so I was worried PSVR would be the same.

But Sony have nailed the design for PSVR, its so easy to put on and adjust, even with glasses and its very light and so comfortable too, easily the best designed VR headset out there so far.

To experience how the resolution looks, just hold your 3DS up to your nose. That's about the resolution relative to your viewfield of the PSVR. However, the sense of scale is on a completely different level. You have to try it for yourself to understand.

The PSVR is what it is. The price is good, but the screen quality is the biggest victim of said price. The graphics actually look nice enough, with some neat materials in Rigs and Driveclub, but the screen absolutely ruined it for me.

KOHIPEET

As soon as it's possible to use this on PC, It will be the must buy VR headset. Hopefully Sony enable a way for this.

It would be a smart decision imo. Would make psvr basically a two-in-one device.

They would have to upgrade their control accessories though, if they want it to be competitive with Vive for example.

I wonder if they have any plans about doing that, or just make psvr use the move as long as possible and upgrade motion controls with an upgraded headset + tracking.

So if I'm understanding correctly, I can not wear glasses/lenses and I can adjust a setting to allow me to see correctly?

There have actually been a large number of articles and plenty of posts that fortunately confirm that you can wear glasses pretty comfortably with the PSVR, it's probably also made more comfortable by how you can adjust how close the front is to your face.

Great impressions. For me, as long as it's immersive, fun, and much better than the GearVR(which is the only form of VR that I've tried), I think I'll enjoy it.

Paz

To experience how the resolution looks, just hold your 3DS up to your nose. That's about the resolution relative to your viewfield of the PSVR. However, the sense of scale is on a completely different level. You have to try it for yourself to understand.

The PSVR is what it is. The price is good, but the screen quality is the biggest victim of said price. The graphics actually look nice enough, with some neat materials in Rigs and Driveclub, but the screen absolutely ruined it for me.

I've been using a PSVR for a couple weeks now and just cannot agree with this, it's slightly lower res than the Vive but the screen door effect actually feels lessened to me. And it's by far the most comfortable headset for me, which is a big deal for longer sessions.

But everyone has their own eyes, and if you're speaking in general then yeah I suppose all current gen VR is still a bit below the res it really wants to be at, I still think it's remarkable though and very acceptable.

It's also my second most hyped game after Driveclub VR. I think people are not paying enough attention.

It's my second too, first being Gran Turismo.

PSVR will sell me on a PS4 too. I'm taking the "wait and see" approach, to see if PS Pro actually improves VR much and also to see how big/loud/hot the Pro is. Otherwise I'm getting the Slim.

That is a terrible comparison, the PSVR screen is much higher resolution than the 3DS and putting a 3DS to your face looks nothing like having PSVR on your face.

The best way to describe it is, PSVR is basically 1080p but VR doesn't give a sharp picture like a TV does, so it has a slight fuzziness to the images but its certainly not low resolution like a 3DS.

The graphics are lower quality than a standard PS4 game, as its having to produce a 3D image and run at 60fps minimum, but the graphics are still more than fine and its pretty impressive that the PS4 can give a decent VR experience.

Saxon Smith

Neo Member
Arkham VR was there too, hidden away. I didn't request a particular game and wound up on this for my demo, tucked away inside the PSVR booth with no outward-facing screen. I've played Battlezone on the PSVR before and this time I was keen to try Robinson: The Journey, but I'm glad I wound up with this.

According to the Sony rep the game is probably around 100 minutes overall and will be available at launch for about £15, and will at least in part involve analysing crime scenes with various tools and use a teleport mechanic for getting around (I did get to see this briefly - as you look around the environment you can highlight markers and pull the trigger on the Move controller to teleport).

I imagine there'll be some combat/shooting range sequences of some sort because you have an unlimited supply of batarangs which you can grab from your belt and throw, and there's a grapple gun.

The main demo itself however just consisted of an intro sequence where you meet Alfred, put on your batsuit and get a tutorial for each piece of equipment, then ride a lift down into the batcave, which was really quite impressive.

There's little point discussing the graphical fidelity, it's pretty low res of course, but that really doesn't impact the experience. The framerate was absolutely solid and I didn't notice any screen door (that's not to say it's not there, but I was too involved to even think to look for it and I didn't notice it).

Overall it was an incredibly immersive experience and I'm pretty sure I was grinning from ear to ear throughout. Despite the obvious limitations on fidelity due to it running on a PS4 it was no less immersive than anything I've played on the Rift. The headset itself is a very impressive piece of kit.

Carl

I played Batman on Saturday. Really cool to be Batman (and looking in a mirror and seeing Batman looking back at you is insanely cool) but it's more of an experience than a game

I also playes Windlands which was really cool. Such a rush to swing through the air. It felt really odd at first, like a conflict of senses, but I quickly got used to it and really enjoyed it. Will have to buy that.

Tethered was really fun too. Not my kind of game at all but heard good stuff so went to check it out. Lots of things to keep an eye on and do, but all seemed to make sense once I had the headset on. Really lovely wild and the immersion was good. Definitely buying.

Shoutout to the Windlands and Tethered devs for being really nice and talking about their games :)

Shoutout to the Windlands and Tethered devs for being really nice and talking about their games :)

Yeah they were all really friendly guys and girls and they clearly love what they do, same goes for everyone else there too.

Me and the girlfriend were the last two people to play Windlands at the end of the day and when it was announced that the show was over and it was time to leave, they let us carry on playing a bit longer.

They were having a little competition with each other to try and get through the level on hard difficulty before they could go for a beer lol. I finished before my gf and they let me remove the headphones and PSVR from her after she had done, because they were all having a blast playing the game.

Tillbo

Were you crashing a lot, or going in reverse or drifting? Those can make my stomach go a little when playing project cars on vive. That initial acceleration can feel odd too but after a while I get used to it - as long as I'm pointing in the right direction down the track :)

Not crashing a great deal but a fair bit of drifting around corners which I think caused it. Not sure if it's just the dissociation of what's appears to be happening on screen vs the fact you're really stationary, and whether it's just an sensation get get accustomed to?

dyergram

I work at one of the restaurants across from the nec at resorts world. I didn't get tickets unfourtunately but I did serve loads of people who had been to try psvr and everyone seemed really impressed even the people who had clearly been dragged there buy loved ones lol.

Top Bottom