• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Eight Days cover system

Corrupt

Spiegel said:
Fuck you Eyepet.
eyepey.jpg

We know that Sony devs like to share technology, I just hope all the resources for this went to Naughty Dog.

Uncharted 2 with cover like that :O:O:O:O:O

gogogow

I really think Sony made the wrong decision here.
They shouldn't try and capture the Wii audience with games like Eyepet.
The box is way too expensive for these kind of games.
The Wii audience got their Wii experience and are happy with it and will stick to it, they won't suddenly upgrade to the PS3. They are not hardcore gamers who will buy multiple consoles.

I'm not saying that Sony shouldn't be making these games, but don't cancel 2 big games and make the entire studio focus on social/lifestyle games. It's too early for these kind of games to appear on the platform. They are taking the wrong direction imo.

I also don't get is why did they take the 8Days and The Geteway team to work on a small casual title? I don't think it needs that much people considering the eyetoy technology was already created for them.

Darkpen

Banned
wow, that's a slick cover system. Way freaking better than Uncharted, though it clearly doesn't have as much variation in its animation, but that's to be expected OF A GAME THAT WAS CANCELLED :( :( :(

Seriously though, I just hope that shit gets adopted for Uncharted 2. I'm looking forward to Eyepet, but damn that looked slick :(

gogogow said:

They aren't going for the Wii audience. Sony London has been pushing stuff like Eyepet since last generation. And they've been leaning more and more in that direction as years went on. Less hardcore games and more casual friendly games. This was before anyone was even talking about the Wii.

Damn, that does look great, a more impressive and fluid cover system than uncharted or gears....feck eyepet and sony... The getaway was one of the games I was most hyped for and this looks cool....

I have a pet at home so and have an interest in fauna/biology in general...there is zero reason for me to get a game like eyepet....

alr1ght

bish gets all the credit :)
Wow, this shits all over Gears and even Uncharted. I sure as heck didn't expect it to be that amazing.

gogogow

SolidSnakex said:
They aren't going for the Wii audience. Sony London has been pushing stuff like Eyepet since last generation. And they've been leaning more and more in that direction as years went on. Less hardcore games and more casual friendly games. This was before anyone was even talking about the Wii.
Haven't you heard Yoshida talking how he wants the Wii owners to upgrade to the PS3?

All these games are definitely an answer to the Wii, no doubt about it. Why do you think they (an entire studio) are only allowed to make "lifestyle games", just a pretty word for non-games.

Casual friendly games doesn't work when the PS3 costs 399 euro/usd. That isn't exactly a "casual gamer price", that's an "hardcore gamer price".

SCEE London were pushing these games out (eyetoy games, singstar games) when the PS2 was $149. Even then, most of their "casual friendly"games didn't sell, Eyetoy chat, kinetic, groove etc. except for Singstar.

Tideas

Banned
I like how everyone is saying Sony's stupid for cancelling 8 days. There's a reason thing are canceled.

Btw, no, just cuz eyepet was created doesn't mean 8 days was canceled because of it. Watever the 8-days guys are working on now, we won't see it for another 9 months

vpance

Eight Days was a coop based third person shooter, set to be released in the summer of 2009.

Unfortunately Sony cancelled the game in June 2008 and with it went two and a half years of my work.

That must be a horrible, horrible feeling.

Canceling this for the sake of lifestyle type games.. they've got it all backwards at this point. The hardcore gamer crowd are the ones keeping PS3 afloat. This lifestyle direction I feel is one of those too-little-too-late (or too expensive too soon) situations.

gogogow said:
Haven't you heard Yoshida talking how he wants the Wii owners to upgrade to the PS3?

I'm talking specifically about Sony London though. Here's what their release list looked like last year

Singstar PS3, Pop Hits, Pop Hits 2, Rock Ballads
Eyetoy: Play Astro Zoo
Operation Creature Feature
Aquatopia
Beats
Mesmerize: Distort

Since 2005 they've released 4 games that could be considered hardcore (The Getaway: Black Monday, World Tour Soccer 2006, Gangs of London and Fired Up). That's it, everything else they've released has been casual games. This is just what they do.

gogogow

SolidSnakex said:
Since 2005 they've released 4 games that could be considered hardcore (The Getaway: Black Monday, World Tour Soccer 2006, Gangs of London and Fired Up). That's it, everything else they've released has been casual games. This is just what they do.
No, that's not just what they do.
Because Since 2005 they were working on 2 hardcore games, The Getaway PS3 and Eight Days, after 2,5 years (according to the Eight Days dev) they got cancelled and are only allowed to make lifestyle games and NOW that's just what they do.

That's why they only churn out those casual games since 2007.

neight

Banned
That isn't far off from what we got in Uncharted. The only difference I saw was sliding to cover, ducking under objects, and laying on the floor cover.

JB1981

neight said:
That isn't far off from what we got in Uncharted. The only difference I saw was sliding to cover, ducking under objects, and laying on the floor cover.

animation is a lot smoother imo.

gogogow said:
The box is way too expensive for these kind of games.
The Wii audience got their Wii experience and are happy with it and will stick to it, they won't suddenly upgrade to the PS3. They are not hardcore gamers who will buy multiple consoles.

I'm not saying that Sony shouldn't be making these games, but don't cancel 2 big games and make the entire studio focus on social/lifestyle games. It's too early for these kind of games to appear on the platform. They are taking the wrong direction imo.
That's exactly how I feel about this game getting canceled too.

slider

I'm sure someone's already said this, but...

This is from the animation director? Are people thinking this is some element of an actual game engine? I would assume that it's not an animation system/engine but instead is the animation director's work on how characters could potentially animate. That is sensible isn't it?

It is limited too. A few moves played over and over and as good as that looks I still think it is just animation. Nothing that can be "shared" with other studios as such.

Yoshida did say Eight Days was cancelled early in it's life, right?

That's cautious slider speaking. Excitable slider thinks it looks great (that guy so looks like a cop from a TV show!) and wishes this was still coming.

Damn the casual market. Damn it to hell.

Afrikan

SolidSnakex said:
I'm talking specifically about Sony London though. Here's what their release list looked like last year

Aquatopia
Beats

IMO... maybe I don't know what I'm talking about....but... WHAT A WASTE of Great Talent.....as far as working on action games...or even sports games....... look at this list... couldn't Sony get some other independent dev house to work on these games.....

Aquatopia
Beats

I know they share their tech with other devs...... but I just want to see them focused on their games taking advantage of the PS3......tech wise....... I know some are not expecting much from eyepet.......but there has to be something special about that thing....I guess we'll have to wait and see....

Ploid 3.0

You know, when a artist die everyone talk about how great he was. When a PS3 game die, no one is here to troll it (all of a sudden this game is getting nothing but praise. I wanted it). Wouldn't it be interesting if it was all of a sudden back on track for release for next year? (a big IF. Pretty much a dream)

Dante

slider said:
I'm sure someone's already said this, but...

This is from the animation director? Are people thinking this is some element of an actual game engine? I would assume that it's not an animation system/engine but instead is the animation director's work on how characters could potentially animate. That is sensible isn't it?

It is limited too. A few moves played over and over and as good as that looks I still think it is just animation. Nothing that can be "shared" with other studios as such.

Yoshida did say Eight Days was cancelled early in it's life, right?

That's cautious slider speaking. Excitable slider thinks it looks great (that guy so looks like a cop from a TV show!) and wishes this was still coming.

Damn the casual market. Damn it to hell.

Doubtful. Some of the animations get cut off midway, and "pop" into other actions. Animators usually do not animate like that, as far as it being "canned"

gogogow said:
No, that's not just what they do.
Because Since 2005 they were working on 2 hardcore games, The Getaway PS3 and Eight Days, after 2,5 years (according to the Eight Days dev) they got cancelled and are only allowed to make lifestyle games and NOW that's just what they do.

That's why they only churn out those casual games since 2007.

But you're saying that they canned those 2 games just so they could make Singstars and Eyepets. Do you really think they said "Well, sure these games might be great, but let's make more casual games instead! Can them!"? There was obviously something wrong with them that we'll likely never really know about.

SolidSnakex said:

Aquatopia
Beats

Looking at that track record of more traditional games.....yeeesh!

slider

Dante said:
Doubtful. Some of the animations get cut off midway, and "pop" into other actions. Animators usually do not animate like that, as far as it being "canned"

Damn your knowledge. That means I'm more upset. Way to let me rationalise it in my head...! :(

gogogow

SolidSnakex said:
But you're saying that they canned those 2 games just so they could make Singstars and Eyepets. Do you really think they said "Well, sure these games might be great, but let's make more casual games instead! Can them!"? There was obviously something wrong with them that we'll likely never really know about.
Funny that's exactly how Yoshida thinks.

It's quite obvious that the getway and eight days doesn't fit in their social gaming portfolio, since it takes too long and too much money to create hardcore titles, so let's create social games, singstars, buzz's and eyepets.

yoshida said:
So, the cancellation of Eight Days was not necessarily because that project was failing, but because we looked at how it fit in the portfolio and where it fit as a production."

Eight Days' lacking online content "was part of the consideration" he added.

"As I say, there are many projects we want to do and we look at many different angles for them, such as profitability, how long it may take, and where it fits in the portfolio – along with other strategic aspects that we are trying to delivery for the platform."

kaching

"GAF's biggest wanker"
First shown in 2006, targeting Summer 2009? This is why these games get cancelled. SCEE studios are slow as molasses on these bigger projects and other than the posthumous interest in the game, it certainly didn't drum up that much interest based on the original concept trailer.

slider

Someone start a damn petition. It's all on a memory stick somewhere in London... I can sense it.

Thanks Dante, seen it now. :(

EDIT...

kaching said:
First shown in 2006, targeting Summer 2009? This is why these games get cancelled. SCEE studios are slow as molasses on these bigger projects and other than the posthumous interest in the game, it certainly didn't drum up that much interest based on the original concept trailer.

I remember there was a bit of buzz. Probably because there was nothing else out there - we all need to believe in something.

I guess it's like some lady said once... you don't know what you got 'til it's gone.

Actually though, this is the most substantive material we've had on Eight Days. Weird. Personally I didn't understand the initial buzz - seeing as we only had a trailer. Oh wait...

Kittonwy

Banned
kaching said:

Where were these people after the game was shown? The interest died and the game gets cancelled, now people are coming out of the woodwork saying what a fucking stupid decision this is, if the game was receiving MASSIVE hype I doubt Sony would EVER consider cancelling it.

TheOddOne

Kittonwy said:
Where were these people after the game was shown? The interest died and the game gets cancelled, now people are coming out of the woodwork saying what a fucking stupid decision this is, if the game was receiving MASSIVE hype I doubt Sony would EVER consider cancelling it.

KlintIndifference.gif
KlintIndifference.gif
KlintIndifference.gif

gogogow

Kittonwy said:
Well, it's kind of difficult to generate hype when the game get's cancelled the next year.

But there was definitely some hype, I still remember how people here were saying how they would never get that kind of animation during gameplay.
And how wrong they were.

gogogow said:
Funny that's exactly how Yoshida thinks.

It's quite obvious that the getway and eight days doesn't fit in their social gaming portfolio, since it takes too long and too much money to create hardcore titles, so let's create social games, singstars, buzz's and eyepets.

A big key in there is how long it takes to develop. We don't know where it was at in development, other than they were targeting next year. They first started showing tech from the game in 2005. Even KZ2 didn't have tech shown that early.

Kittonwy

Banned
TheOddOne said:

The best way to get Sony to make more of this kind of games is to buy UNCHARTED!!!111!!!
angry.gif

And Resistance 2, and Killzone 2. Money talks, they're only going to make these games if the market is there for them, fucking petition won't do a thing, buying mature first-party Sony games is the only fucking petition that actually works.
Indifferent2.gif

TheOddOne

Kittonwy said:
The best way to get Sony to make more of this kind of games is to buy UNCHARTED!!!111!!!
angry.gif

And Resistance 2, and Killzone 2. Money talks, they're only going to make these games if the market is there for them, fucking petition won't do a thing, buying mature first-party Sony games is the only fucking petition that actually works.
Indifferent2.gif

i did buy UNCHARTED!!!111!!!
angry.gif
angry.gif
angry.gif

Indifferent2.gif

neight

Banned
kaching said:
Three years is not a long time for a big project. The new Prince of Persia game coming out in December started production in 2005 although I don't think it was announced until last year.

Kittonwy

Banned
gogogow said:
Well, it's kind of difficult to generate hype when the game get's cancelled the next year.

But there was definitely some hype, I still remember how people here were saying how they would never get that kind of animation during gameplay.
And how wrong they were.

There wasn't enough hype for sure, the game basically fell off the radar for the most part, people don't really talk about it, the media certainly didn't really give a crap about it, all they did was doubt the game. With Getaway there was at least the name, the brand, all there was concerning this game was how the footage couldn't be real, thank god Sony didn't listen to all the doubters when it came to Killzone 2. The complete opposite happened to a game like Assassins Creed where even before it was shown publicly it was hyped as hot shit, even though they showed CG it was ok, even though the actual game was meh people already bought into it. Marketing probably thought they simply couldn't get the Eight Days IP off the ground and it probably got too expensive so they had to pour the resources into something like Eyepet where people haven't really begun to write it off.

Kittonwy

Banned
TheOddOne said:
i did buy UNCHARTED!!!111!!!
angry.gif
angry.gif
angry.gif

Indifferent2.gif

What about the rest of teh people huh? Did they ALL buy UNCHARTED!!!111!!!???
angry.gif

If everybody buyz UNCHARTED!!!111!!! and Resistance 2 we should see more mature games.
angry.gif

slider

SolidSnakex said:
A big key in there is how long it takes to develop. We don't know where it was at in development, other than they were targeting next year. They first started showing tech from the game in 2005. Even KZ2 didn't have tech shown that early.

Tech? Is it something I can track down easily on Gametrailers or some such site?

Before I get my face scratched I'll clarify that I bought two copies of Uncharted. One for me and one for my bro. Cannot wait for the next one.

Top Bottom