• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Eitr - new trailer for the indie isometric viking-themed Diablo/Dark Souls-like

jblank83

So, Samurai Shodown V-like or Secret of Mana-like would be even more apt!

Well, it's not a fighting game and I'm not sure I would call Secret of Mana all that slow and methodical, nor is it particularly high damage in regards to how hard the player is hit, unless maybe we're talking about a boss or two, or maybe late game.

You can just call it an action game, if you really hate the words "Dark" and "Souls". Unless it's an RPG. Then you can just argue all day about what the definition of a computer/console "RPG" is. Maybe it's "choice" (because other games don't have choices). Or maybe it's "roles". Or maybe it's having quests....

Seanspeed

Banned
Diablo meets Dark Souls? Promising.

I hope there is *some* element of loot, even if its not from enemies, but just scattered about levels to reward exploration.

Would also like to see more variety in combat styles. Taking a cue from Dark Souls again, have quick, weaker weapons, and slow, heavy weapons. Have spears and swords and whatnot. Different shields with different properties. Armor or clothing maybe.

Will definitely keep an eye on it.

Hedge

I never noticed before, but the enemies in this game all sound like the spiders from Don't Starve. :p

Looks pretty cool. Maybe this is blasphemy, but I think a bitching soundtrack would go a long way towards drawing you in more. Either some pumping epic orchestral music, or like some epic dark electronic stuff.

Honestly, I find the sound of dripping water from the cave and your character's own footsteps to be all the soundtrack I need, since most composers have never heard the word "subtle". I like subtle. But that's just preference. I'm also the type of person to automatically turn off all music in any game I play, or just turn it waaaaay down till it's just barely audible. :)

Aesthet1c

That looks incredible.

I love pixel art, but my only concern is that it doesn't limit the variety of weapons available in the game. I know it's early development so they have plenty of time. It just seems like a lot of drawing to be done by a very small team if they want to have more than just a couple weapon types.

ironcreed

Banned
babysloth.gif

Could be good. Bring it to consoles for a nice price and I'll bite.

A-V-B

Was this animated by one or more of the people who have worked on Hyper Light Drifter? The character style reminds me a LOT of that game.

2+2=5

The Amiga Brotherhood
Honestly at the beginning i thought it was amazing, but the more the video went on the more i was bored, it's too slow and needs more variety, but i guess it just needs more development.

Haunted

Is there a name for this style of pixel art? I'm seeing it used a lot in indie games within the past few years.
I think I know what you mean, the human form with elongated limbs and small heads, right? I think sword and sworcery started that one. :D

But yeah, it's just a different style using pixel art, it's why many people dismissing pixel art as "oh it's just 8-bit stuff, like the NES" are missing the point and stay unaware of the insane varied potential of pixel art in the hands of a capable artist.

Anoregon

The flight plan I just filed with the agency list me, my men, Dr. Pavel here. But only one of you!
Looks pretty cool. Maybe this is blasphemy, but I think a bitching soundtrack would go a long way towards drawing you in more. Either some pumping epic orchestral music, or like some epic dark electronic stuff.

Why would that be blasphemy? Music is hugely important in setting the mood and drawing you into the atmosphere of the game.

The Haxen Cloak would work very well. Like this.

Yessss. I was trying to think up something in this vein off the top of my head but couldn't.

Why would that be blasphemy? Music is hugely important in setting the mood and drawing you into the atmosphere of the game.

I could see some people wanting to be fully immersed in the environment and only want to hear the sound effects like Hedge who posted above. I wasn't sure if drowning some of that out with epic music would be against the norm for games of this type (dark atmospheric Souls type games).

Sadly i don´t get most indies. It sometimes feels like playing games i played 25 years ago. I really want to like them :(

I think this game, though it has a cool setting, will be the same.

Love the style. I think combat feedback needs work. That flaming sword attack has a ton of startup, and looks like it should hit like a truck, or the zweihander R2 in Dark Souls, but the actual impact is anti-climatic, and it doesn't even do much damage either.

I just hope the game isn't about wailing on the same enemy for minutes with the same four hit combo and dodging the same attack patterns over and over again.

-MD-

This might be the first kickstarter project I back if I can get in on an early bird discount.

Tekku

Combat and art style is great, but I'm not a big fan of the dark setting. The music alone made me quite depressed while watching the gameplay.

Top Bottom