• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Eitr - new trailer for the indie isometric viking-themed Diablo/Dark Souls-like

Molemitts

Likely a very early copy showed but I will say the world looks pretty empty. Regardless the combat looks good and I'm intrigued.

Bring on the Souls-Likes!

Kilrogg

paid requisite penance
I wanna like this as a fan of Diablo (the drab, gothic look of D1 being a favourite of mine), but:

- The game looks painfully slow. Like, much slower than D1, and that game was already very slow
- No random maps means less replay value
- The constant heavy breathing from the character managed to annoy me in less than 30 seconds.
- The combat is lauded as methodical and strategic, but other than the neat frozen-on-block thing against what appears to be a boss, it seemed repetitive.
- Maps seem too big and empty given the slow movement speed. Either make 'em more claustrophobic or increase movement speed and possibly monster density.

Let's hope most of these problems come from the fact that the game is early in its development.

HowZatOZ

Banned
I just wanted to chime in and say that this game is so god damn amazing. The devs were kind enough to offer me a quick demo and by god is it just awesome. It fills that void left by old-school Diablo and the mix of Souls-like combat is just to die for.

WarRock

Well, it's not a fighting game and I'm not sure I would call Secret of Mana all that slow and methodical, nor is it particularly high damage in regards to how hard the player is hit, unless maybe we're talking about a boss or two, or maybe late game.

You can just call it an action game, if you really hate the words "Dark" and "Souls". Unless it's an RPG. Then you can just argue all day about what the definition of a computer/console "RPG" is. Maybe it's "choice" (because other games don't have choices). Or maybe it's "roles". Or maybe it's having quests....
Both games have you approaching the combat in a more methodical way, since attacking drains a gauge that lowers your damage.

Exactly like Eitr does. And both came out before Souls. I don't hate it, but the way people refer to it make seem like those type of mechanics were created by it, when it's been around for ages.

I think the "Souls-like" term is used way too easily.

Especially for this game because Souls games are really tight and you know if you fuck up it's your fault. When playing this I felt like I was taking damage purely because the isometric camera is shit and causes you to miss attacks and blocks. An early build, sure, but the perspective is fundamental and I have no idea how they are gonna fix it without redoing most of the game.

It's basically like playing Diablo 3 in the Rollercoaster Tycoon 1 engine.

MayMay

Banned
Was not sure which of the 2 old Eitr threads to post this in (and I didnt see any up to date ones), so I'll take this one because it has a bit more descriptive title.

VaatiVidya uploaded a preview video of the game. Just him talking over some gameplay. The PSX demo it seems like.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a-YatMGBqq0

Game looks amazing.

I think the "Souls-like" term is used way too easily.

I mean, this does look alot like Dark Souls. Starting from the HUD, to the game systems (bonfires etc.) up to the NPCs even.

It does look pretty good. I just checked out the dev's Twitter feed and they stated they're building it with controller support as they'd really like to bring it to consoles too.

and also I'd never play something like this with keyboard and mouse any more than I'd play souls with keyboard or mouse. They'd be insane not to include controller support.

Zekes!

This game looks neat, but the fact that it's UI is clearly ripped from the Souls games is well... kind of lame.

It's good to have inspiration and homages, but take the inspiration and make it your own.

Kalnos

Banned
and also I'd never play something like this with keyboard and mouse any more than I'd play souls with keyboard or mouse. They'd be insane not to include controller support.

Souls would be amazing with proper KBM support. I could cast specific spells and use items without the cycling, have precise camera control, etc. Definitely no reason not to support pads though.

This game looks neat, but the fact that it's UI is clearly ripped from the Souls games is well... kind of lame.

It's good to have inspiration and homages, but take the inspiration and make it your own.

Yeah it is too much of a rip off for me. There's even story through item descriptions. I'm glad that games are being inspired by Souls but this is taking too much for my liking.

drotahorror

New Vaati video was great. Pretty hype for some of these souls-like games this year. Death's Gambit, Eitr, Salt and Sanctuary, to name a few. I don't really care if they rip some of the ideas or UI from the Souls games. Things can be familiar when it comes to games.

injurai

Banned
New Vaati video was great. Pretty hype for some of these souls-like games this year. Death's Gambit, Eitr, Salt and Sanctuary, to name a few. I don't really care if they rip some of the ideas or UI from the Souls games. Things can be familiar when it comes to games.

link?

dsp

I was just watching some of his Dark Souls lore videos and came across this video. Holy shit, this game looks dope.

Mistouze

user-friendly man-cashews
Even though I think it pushes a UI that ressembles a bit too much the one in Dark Souls it looks pretty dope. Added to my wishlist, hope it turns out great (and does a few things beyond being DkS in 2D).

Top Bottom