• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

El Shaddai - a wild, colorful, impressive and somewhat confusing game

VGEsoterica

El Shaddai : Ascension of the Metatron is one of those games I rarely hear mentioned or talked about and I always wonder why that is. While it’s certainly not a mainstream game in any sense of the word it’s an amazing if sometimes confusing experience definitely worth a playthrough.

Granted your mileage on the story may vary depending on your knowledge of biblical stories as it seems to be using the tale of Noah and the biblical flood in a modern way. Having NOT grown up in a household that went to church or really observed religion I probably miss like half the details of the story even if I love the narrative in the game.

Even if you don’t have a religious background like me the story will still be pretty decipherable and impressive. They’ve taken an ancient story and modernized it both contextually and visually to present it in a modern way...almost through an anime aesthetic. Definitely feels relevant as well for when it was made.

design wise though...wow. That’s really all I have to say word wise. It’s incredibly colorful and intriguing and is one of the most artistically impressive games of the last generation. It may not visually be a heavy hitter power wise but the art direction is absolutely incredible. Same goes for soundtrack...rhythmic chants modernized into something you think you’d hear at a summer music festival while under the influence of some substance lol

gameplay wise it’s a hack and slash...a super competent one that transitions nicely between 2D and 3D quite nicely. Controls well, has some intriguing concepts about “light vs dark” weapons and how they effect your combat. Some fun concepts for sure.

But all around it’s one of my favorite games of the last generation and one I don’t hear mentioned much. It’s definitely worth checking out if you haven’t played it. It’s a really interesting experiment of how a developer can modernize ancient stories for modern audiences. Wish we’d gotten a proper sequel.

wondering who else played this? I rarely hear it mentioned

manzo

Played on 360 to completition back in the day. I remember the end tower being a pain in the ass.

Some breathtaking visuals all around. But as a game, the battles were way too simplistic and got boring quickly. I also remember some enemies being way too damage sponges. With a more balanced and in-depth battle system, the game would’ve been a true gem.

I recommend playing on easy and breezing through just for the insane visuals.

edit: I think I finished it on hard thus the damage sponge enemies.
double edit: nope, on normal and the end tower got mixed with God of War 1. Had to actually look at my achievements, looks like i finished this roughly 8 years ago, no wonder i can’t remember much anymore.

Last edited:

Northeastmonk

Gold Member
I found the concept to be very interesting, but I didn’t want to spend $65 to get it at the time. Enslaved had come out the previous year and I was worried about enjoying it. That was also a huge years in gaming. You had Dark Souls, Arkham City, Dead Space 2, Skyrim, Skyward Sword, Gears of War 3, Uncharted 3, and LA Noir. I got each one of those, so maybe it was due to spending more on other games. I’ve thought about trying it out.

VGEsoterica

Played on 360 to completition back in the day. I remember the end tower being a pain in the ass.

Some breathtaking visuals all around. But as a game, the battles were way too simplistic and got boring quickly. I also remember some enemies being way too damage sponges. With a more balanced and in-depth battle system, the game would’ve been a true gem.

I recommend playing on easy and breezing through just for the insane visuals.

edit: I think I finished it on hard thus the damage sponge enemies.
double edit: nope, on normal and the end tower got mixed with God of War 1. Had to actually look at my achievements, looks like i finished this roughly 8 years ago, no wonder i can’t remember much anymore.

yes even if the combat is good, compared to something like God of War or Bayonetta it definitely takes a second tier status combat wise. I think it’s competent, but the world was so amazing sometimes the combat could feel like “but I don’t want to stop and fight”

Aion002

I finished. I enjoyed the characters and art... The gameplay was fine, not the best but acceptable. I still have my PS3 disc. Good game, not great... Just good, which is enough for me.

Thabass

I'm pretty sure I played it to completion and I don't remember a thing about it. Except the soundtrack. The soundtrack was fantastic.

I beat it a few years ago. I looooove that it's inspired by DMC1. It's a love child of DMC1 and Okami with the art style. The gameplay is on the decent side unfortunately. It's missing a certain x factor to truly make it impactful, the combat. But everything else about it is surreal, it feels like a game that shouldn't exist, yet it does. I'd play a sequel that improves on the flaws, and or buy a PC port so that I can more easily replay it.

VGEsoterica

I beat it a few years ago. I looooove that it's inspired by DMC1. It's a love child of DMC1 and Okami with the art style. The gameplay is on the decent side unfortunately. It's missing a certain x factor to truly make it impactful, the combat. But everything else about it is surreal, it feels like a game that shouldn't exist, yet it does. I'd play a sequel that improves on the flaws, and or buy a PC port so that I can more easily replay it.

yes a sequel with better / more diverse combat would be awesome. It has all the components of 10/10 game except the combat is more of a 7/10 situation.

that art style though!

Hypereides

Gold Member
Played it last year, thoroughly enjoyed it. Some like to drag down the combat for being too simplistic, but I think its actually got a bit more depth than it gets credit for. Some moves can only be executed with proper timing. As far as I know, they're aren't explicitly mentioned in any tutorial. Most people probably do only half the moves you can do in the game.

Aesthetically its a master class in graphic design imo. One of the most memorable gaming experiences I've had in recent times. I really wanted to see where they would've gone with a proper sequel. I definitely recommend anyone giving it a playthrough.

Last edited:

VGEsoterica

Played it last year, thoroughly enjoyed it. Some like to drag down the combat for being too simplistic, but I think its actually got a bit more depth than it gets credit for. Some moves can only be executed with proper timing. As far as I know, they're aren't explicitly mentioned in any tutorial. Most people probably do only half the moves you can do in the game.

Aesthetically its a master class in graphic design imo. One of the most memorable gaming experiences I've had in recent times. I really wanted to see where they would've gone with a proper sequel. I definitely recommend anyone giving it a playthrough.

While I appreciate games that don't hand hold there are some features of the combat that are never really explained. It's hard to get deep into the combat when moves and functions exist you were never told about.

Danny Dudekisser

I paid good money for this Dynex!
I really loved this game, and I wish it'd get a re-release on modern systems.

The biggest mistake they made with this game was positioning it as a DMC-style game. It's really not. The combat does what it's intended to, and works well. It's simple, but that's not a bad thing. I'm not sure I've ever played a game that felt like such an adventure, though. One of the most visually arresting games I've ever seen, and that soundtrack is incredible.

Virex

Banned
This would have looked amazing on current Gen systems with 4K and HDR. Loved it on PS3. Got the "sort of sequel" The Lost Child on PS4. But it's a genre change.

El Shaddai was weird. But an amazing experience

SALMORE

i finished it when it came out on PS3 ! Loved the Abrahamic religion inspration 👍 i still have my copy , good thing that I didn't sell it 😉

Hypereides

Gold Member
While I appreciate games that don't hand hold there are some features of the combat that are never really explained. It's hard to get deep into the combat when moves and functions exist you were never told about.

yeah, seems like an oversight from the developers and might've left some people wondering 'if that was it'. You have to be willing to experiment with various button inputs and delays to actually figure them out on your own. I didn't know how to prompt actions like slide under and jump over enemies until my 3rd playthrough I think.

Btw, in response to your video, I think the mid-encounters are actually winnable. It just requires effort.

Last edited:

chriskun

The visuals were the only good thing about this game. The combat is painfully boring, and movement just felt sluggish. Had to force myself to finish it.

Ichisuke

Neo Member
I think I bought it at a very low price or used for PS3 (I remember that I played the demo too) And just this morning while reordering some stuff in my room I had a glimpse of the cover. One of the many games I have to finish.... or well... starting from the beginning since I probably played like an hour or so.

Kadve

Gold Member
It was nice in the beginning, but once the novelty of it's art style wore off, it just got confusing and boring. Especially if you aren't actually familiar with the book of Enoch that i'ts based on. (And don't bother to recap at all)

It also had one of the worst endings i ever experienced in a game.

The combat was ok though, and i kinda like how it understood that it was a video game and not a "interactive story" or whatever, something it feels like most modern releases consider themselves above.

Zephir

Well, f**k me, as I was checking a thing that was bugging me, it turns out i DO own El Shaddai on PS3
I bought it less than 1 year ago, but I forgot it because I bought it at a 3x2 mainly for Yakuza 3 and 4

Heimdall_Xtreme

Jim Ryan Fanclub's #1 Member
It is a game that aesthetics and its history based on the Bible have always caught my attention.

Although my belief is different, the story draws my attention.

It is one of my games that I want to buy the most.

As a curiosity, the game has the talent of the developers ( sawaki takeyatsu from Clover Studio) of Devil May cry, the artistic talent of Okami and infinite space. But what Shock me the most is that the staff that developed Gravity Rush 2 was also involved ... WOW !!!

Last edited:

teezzy

Banned
El Shaddai is so stylish and cool. Easily one of my favorite games of its generation. Such a shame that there isn't nearly enough variety to the combat for the gameplay to be as memorable as the visuals.

Scotty W

Banned
lol gotta live up to the moniker. But what I’ve been playing and capturing this week blows beyond the esoteric...some real random stuff haha
I have been playing Nights and Christmas Nights lately. Apparently they studied Jung for some of the imagery in that game- if you are interested in more ideas for literal esoterica.

Top Bottom