• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"El Shaddai: Ascension of the Metatron." New action game from Ignition Ent.

Gospel

Parmesan et Romano
Directed by Sawaki Takeyasu, who did design work for Devil May Cry and Okami.
PS3/360. More at E3.

Heavily inspired by Biblical tales, El Shaddai stars Enoch, an angel sent to Earth to mediate between God and the angels that have fallen to the human world. Angered at a rash of fallen angels (chief among them Lucifer, who plays a support role in this game), God has revealed plans for a great world-encompassing flood; as Enoch, your role is to prevent this by traveling the world and hunting down the rogue angels.

4qio1l.jpg
awx55g.jpg

More pics n shit:
[copy]www.famitsu.com/game/coming/1234996_1407.html[/copy]

1up said:
"The thing we're taking the most seriously here is the impression gamers get the moment they look at the game," Takeyasu told Famitsu magazine. "Having it look the same as everything else is boring, but making it too beyond the realm of imagination would make things too difficult to follow. We aimed for a point somewhere in between, a very pleasant-feeling look that's hard to put into words. We always make it plain what you have to do next -- we made the world instinctually understandable, yet constantly changing in form."
http://www.1up.com/do/newsStory?cId=3179255

Official Site

Looks almost like...dare i say

a painting
e6r243.jpg

Brazil

Living in the shadow of Amaz
That looks very interesting.

But GAF recently turned me against Ignition Entertainment.

Gospel

Parmesan et Romano
The visual style of some of the other screens remind me of Out of This World. This should look unsurprisingly pretty in motion.

Red

Heavily inspired by Biblical tales, El Shaddai stars Enoch, an angel sent to Earth to mediate between God and the angels that have fallen to the human world. Angered at a rash of fallen angels (chief among them Lucifer, who plays a support role in this game), God has revealed plans for a great world-encompassing flood; as Enoch, your role is to prevent this by traveling the world and hunting down the rogue angels.
I wonder how the rash will come into play.

KTallguy

Banned
I love the look, it reminds me of the Star Ocean characters sketches. Can't wait to hear more about it.

Reminds me of a Dali painting for some reason.

Brazil said:
El Shaddai is a name for God.

I can't remember who uses it, but, yeah.
Old Testament. There are seven OT names for God. El Shaddai means God Almighty.

The Metatron is a powerful angel with some of God's own power in it (i.e. it carries or is an embodyment of God's actual name) - beliefs at the time posited that the name of things gave them power. Egyptian pharaohs at the time were also given various secret "names of power" by their priests upon taking up the mantle.

Also, Enoch was an OT figure who walked with God and rather than dying was taken directly to heaven at the age of 365.

Lucifer (the Morning Star) is a reference to someone who was good at music and covered in jewels, shining as light referred to somewhere in the OT (can't remember where). Often, this verse is cited as referencing Satan being cast out of heaven.

Now you know who the whole cast is.

ronito

viciouskillersquirrel said:

The Metatron is a powerful angel with some of God's own power in it (i.e. it carries or is an embodyment of God's actual name) - beliefs at the time posited that the name of things gave them power. Egyptian pharaohs at the time were also given various secret "names of power" by their priests upon taking up the mantle.

Also, Enoch was an OT figure who walked with God and rather than dying was taken directly to heaven at the age of 365.

Lucifer (the Morning Star) is a reference to someone who was good at music and covered in jewels, shining as light referred to somewhere in the OT (can't remember where). Often, this verse is cited as referencing Satan being cast out of heaven.

Supposedly he was God's scribe and gave himself the title of lesser yaweh. Also is the only person outside of god allowed to sit.

ronito said:
Supposedly he was God's scribe and gave himself the title of lesser yaweh. Also is the only person outside of god allowed to sit.
God wanted to send him into the promised land with the Hebrews in the book of Joshua, IRRC. Moses was like "Nah-uh! I don't want no stinkin' angel! It's the real thing or bust!"

EDIT: I goofed, wrote the book of Joshua and mentioned Moses. Apparently, I didn't recall correctly :lol

Eh, not to my understanding.

Metatron was given the honor of sitting in Paradise because he was the Heavenly Scribe. Some interpret this as him being the LITERAL voice of Yahweh, seeing as His voice is too pure to be heard by sinners, but I suppose that is debatable. The six winged seraph and brother of Sandalphon.

Hmm, could be interesting.

ronito

God wanted to send him into the promised land with the Hebrews in the book of Joshua, IRRC. Moses was like "Nah-uh! I don't want no stinkin' angel! It's the real thing or bust!"
Yeah that part made me laugh.

Also some texts say he was the angel that stopped Abraham from killing Isaac.

I bet he was like "Whoa! Stop dude! Hahaha! I can't believe you were actually going to do it. I didn't believe it, but God was like, 'Nah, he'll do it.' Haha oh man. Well I guess I owe god $20. Man, you're seriously messed up."

TheChillyAcademic said:
Eh, not to my understanding.

Metatron was given the honor of sitting in Paradise because he was the Heavenly Scribe. Some interpret this as him being the LITERAL voice of Yahweh, seeing as His voice is too pure to be heard by sinners, but I suppose that is debatable. The six winged seraph and brother of Sandalphon.

Hmm, could be interesting.
Exodos 23:20-26

It's the passage the name "Metatron" comes from (i.e. the lesser Tetragammatron). A lot of this angels/demons mythology stuff is contradictory and confusing, but this is one of the more popular traditions on it.

Combichristoffersen

Combovers don't work when there is no hair

Wasn't that part of the Bible referring to some Babylonian (?) prince that somehow had 'fallen'? And there's another part of the Bible where Jesus refers to himself as Lucifer (the light-bearer) :lol

Edit: Seems like it was a Babylonian king, not a prince.

Combichristoffersen said:
Wasn't that part of the Bible referring to some Babylonian (?) prince that somehow had 'fallen'? And there's another part of the Bible where Jesus refers to himself as Lucifer (the light-bearer) :lol
Persian, actually. And like I said, it's often cited that way, but is by no means the only interpretation.

That's the thing about poetic imagery. It's all confusing and stuff.

EDIT: Was it Babylonian? I remember it being written during the exile, but not during whose reign it was.

Fun fact: The Prince of Persia is an oblique reference to a demon or heavenly power of some sort.

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.
Witchfinder General said:
If God is the final boss wouldn't he have three forms?

Think about it.

Yahweh
Jehovah
Elohim

Combichristoffersen

Combovers don't work when there is no hair
Persian, actually. And like I said, it's often cited that way, but is by no means the only interpretation.

That's the thing about poetic imagery. It's all confusing and stuff.

These articles refer to the person in question as Babylonian:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lucifer#The_Morning_Star_in_Isaiah_14:12
http://www.jewishencyclopedia.com/view.jsp?artid=612&letter=L

While this seems to refer to some Babylonian god:
http://www.monstropedia.org/index.php?title=Lucifer#Isaiah.E2.80.99s_belief

Couldn't find anything about the person in question being Persian (although Babylon was, at one point, a Persian province) :p

Combichristoffersen said:
These articles refer to the person in question as Babylonian:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lucifer#The_Morning_Star_in_Isaiah_14:12
http://www.jewishencyclopedia.com/view.jsp?artid=612&letter=L

While this seems to refer to some Babylonian god:
http://www.monstropedia.org/index.php?title=Lucifer#Isaiah.E2.80.99s_belief

Couldn't find anything about the person in question being Persian (although Babylon was, at one point, a Persian province) :p
The verse refers to a great king/ruler/angel/whatever who fell from an exalted position. It could refer to the last king of Babylon prior to the Persian conquest, which'd be where I'm getting confused.

Eh, whatever. They're obviously going with the angel interpretation here.

Top Bottom