• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Elden Ring is currently sitting at 953,426 concurrent players on steam now

ANDS

King of Gaslighting
The achievement statistics are funnier to look at. Certainly well over a million players. . .and roughly half have actually beaten a demi-god (at least Margit has broken the "majority of players" barrier).

Great game, enjoying on my ps5 frame rate mode, performance not as bad as some people said.

Faith is op lol

If you didn't know (or weren't sensitive to frame rate) you would be certain the game was always at 60. The PS5 is leagues better than what the average player will experience on the PC (if you have the tech to just brute force the game you were never concerned about frames); when you add in no stuttering the difference in quality is something else.

Keihart

amazing game.
Cant remember last time i was this impressed by a game, from its aesthetics to the design and smart production. Already 70 hours in and im still in awe at every corner.

Couldnt be happier that the game is doing good numbers, completly deserved.
Game is incredibly faithfull to its niche and design ideas, feels umcompromised.

Last edited:

lifa-cobex

it's building my faith back into games in a weird way.

In the past few years I've founds games becoming very simple in terms of nuts and bolts game play. You get a learning curve at first that seems to be the challenge.
After it's becomes wash and repeat. At least for the AAA games.
Not saying they are bad in anyway but it all becomes run of the mill.

Nice to see more people wanting a challenge.

This is first time a fromsoft game reached these high numbers.

That is more than God of war +halo infinite +forza horizon 5 combined.

Game is gigantic.

950K concurrent players is HUGE!!

must have sold at least 4-5 million on PC alone to get that kind of number.....and considering PC instal base is smaller than console., I'm pretty sure the game has sold over 10 million by now total PC + console

DelireMan7

The achievement statistics are funnier to look at. Certainly well over a million players. . .and roughly half have actually beaten a demi-god (at least Margit has broken the "majority of players" barrier).

It took me 30 hours before I beat the first one. Not because it was hard but because I explore a lot of stuff.

I am now 50+ hours and I didn't even meet a second one. This game is huge.

Of course the achievements percentage will be low but it's a bit early to say it's because it's too hard.

hey, you are in fact NOT a lazy parrot when it comes to going into threads and being annoying as shit. maybe change your name to FuckOff?
Annoying, huh? The thought of sticking around seems a lot more appealing all of a sudden. Better keep that ignore button handy, because you're not gonna get rid of me any other way.

kraspkibble

Permabanned.
lol Elden Ring is the most played game on Steam at the moment. Of course we will see how long it lasts but it's beating CS:GO, GTA V, DOTA2, PUBG, Apex even though it's already been out over a week lol. You'd expect it to have died off a bit by now but it seems to only be going up.

Last edited:
Hopefully this leads to more developers not wasting time on shit no one wants. To be fair, its because the mass market hadn't seen a good open world game between Skyrim and BOTW.

MS has a lot if studios that could learn from this to try things and not hold hands. Sony seems pretty deadset on their formula that is afraid you miss any content, and the games are perpetually good but blah.

Bragr

Banned
Absolutely spectacular, I don't think FromSoftware fans or FromSoftware themselves in their wildest dreams would expect this level of success. It's gigantic on Steam and Twitch, and it's big worldwide. It's wild to see how much it blew up.

winjer

Gold Member
Very impressive result. From Software is making a fortune.
I wonder how big the sales numbers will be, when they add up all the platforms.

No one, and I mean no one could have predicted this.

It's effing huge, it must have sold millions!
I'd wager 15+ million potentially; it's already sold 5 million on Steam alone and if both PlayStation and Xbox match that number (which they should), that's already 15 million.

And we can safely predict PlayStation has a fair few more. Xbox is probably a bit north 5 million. I'm basing this on the UK sales numbers and platform marketshare percentages from 2021 published by GI.biz recently.

steamspy suggested it has sold between 5 to 10 million units. Taking in the lowest estimate of 5 million and doubling it to account for console sales, we are looking at 10 million minimum

Yeah this thing's a damn monster.

Elden Ring is #6 in Twitch most streamed hours in the past 30 days
Horizon is #28

Where does Halo Infinite rank?

Last edited:

BennyBlanco

aka IMurRIVAL69
steamspy suggested it has sold between 5 to 10 million units. Taking in the lowest estimate of 5 million and doubling it to account for console sales, we are looking at 10 million minimum

There is no way 1/5 of the owners of this game were all playing it at once.

There is no way 1/5 of the owners of this game were all playing it at once.

Pretty much, yes, 1/5 were playing all at once. That's how the Steam player count charts work; they track concurrent players (as well as cumulative).

The only other games consistently pulling those numbers on Steam are Counter-Strike and Lost Ark.

Hopefully this leads to more developers not wasting time on shit no one wants. To be fair, its because the mass market hadn't seen a good open world game between Skyrim and BOTW.

MS has a lot if studios that could learn from this to try things and not hold hands. Sony seems pretty deadset on their formula that is afraid you miss any content, and the games are perpetually good but blah.

I'm playing HFW right now and you can actually tailor the challenge to be as difficult as you want, dynamically. And I think that's actually a pretty good way to do things if they start at a good default challenge level and just scale down from there, and scale up smartly from that point.

You can skip whatever you want in the game when it comes to collectibles; again it's up to the player's choice, at least from what I'm noticing. Tho I'm also very early into the game.

Last edited:
I'd wager 15+ million potentially; it's already sold 5 million on Steam alone and if both PlayStation and Xbox match that number (which they should), that's already 15 million.

And we can safely predict PlayStation has a fair few more. Xbox is probably a bit north 5 million. I'm basing this on the UK sales numbers and platform marketshare percentages from 2021 published by GI.biz recently.

Yeah this thing's a damn monster.

Where does Halo Infinite rank?

Halo Infinite is #42

Azelover

Titanic was called the Ship of Dreams, and it was. It really was.
Already??

Wow, that sounds like a lot! Congratulations FS!

ReBurn

Gold Member
breaking news GIF

Midn1ght

Pretty much, yes, 1/5 were playing all at once. That's how the Steam player count charts work; they track concurrent players (as well as cumulative).

The only other games consistently pulling those numbers on Steam are Counter-Strike and Lost Ark.
I think he meant that the game definitely sold more than 5 million since it's unlikely 1/5 of total owners were playing at the same time.

SteamSpy has it between 10.000.000 and 20.000.000 so it's fair to assume it sold at least 10 million copies on Steam.

Last edited:

I'm playing HFW right now and you can actually tailor the challenge to be as difficult as you want, dynamically. And I think that's actually a pretty good way to do things if they start at a good default challenge level and just scale down from there, and scale up smartly from that point.

You can skip whatever you want in the game when it comes to collectibles; again it's up to the player's choice, at least from what I'm noticing. Tho I'm also very early into the game.

I am as well. I have it on hard and there is just a ton of noise distracting from an incredible world. Skill trees that give you growth instead of letting you grow, people who wont shut the fuck up, items that feel meaningless because you know they are not end game. There is a better way to use that uncedible world, it feels like a waste at the moment. Hope it turns into something special.

Wow, it’s dangerously close to beating 2077’s number. That said I believe 2077 released on GOG and Epic as well, where Elden seems to be Steam exclusive.

I think he meant that the game definitely sold more than 5 million since it's unlikely 1/5 of total owners were playing at the same time.

SteamSpy has it between 10.000.000 and 20.000.000 so it's fair to assume it sold at least 10 million copies on Steam.

10-20 million PC sale is too high

here's my estimate, based on CP2077 number (They are two similar highly anticipated games, difference is CP2077 base player is higher on PC, where Elden Ring is leaning towards console player)

1. Cyberpunk Steam peak players right after it's released is 1.054 million. A couple of months after release, CDPR said Cyberpunk has sold 13.7 million in 2020 (that's 3 weeks worth of sale) with breakdown of 56% PC, 28% PS4, and 17% Xbox
2. Elden Ring Steam peak players is 953K.. We know Soulsborne PC install base is 40% PC and 60% console.

Using those numbers, then my estimate is

Cyberpunk PC sales in 3 weeks = 0.56 x 13.7 = 7.672 million
Elden Ring to Cyberpunk PC sale ratio = 0.891/1.054 = 0.9
In 3 weeks, Elden Ring PC sale should be = 0.9 x 7.672 = 6.9 million (Even Steamspy estimates that Elden Ring PC sales already reached, AT LEAST, 5 million)
Soulsborne install base is 40% PC, so 6.9/0.4 = 17 million (total Elden Ring sales in 3 weeks, PC+PS+Xbox) --> Even I think this is too high, I think it's more around 10-12 million first month sales

Last edited:

ClosBSAS

10-20 million PC sale is too high

here's my estimate, based on CP2077 number (They are two similar highly anticipated games, difference is CP2077 base player is higher on PC, where Elden Ring is leaning towards console player)

1. Cyberpunk Steam peak players right after it's released is 1.054 million. A couple of months after release, CDPR said Cyberpunk has sold 13.7 million in 2020 (that's 3 weeks worth of sale) with breakdown of 56% PC, 28% PS4, and 17% Xbox
2. Elden Ring Steam peak players is 953K.. We know Soulsborne PC install base is 40% PC and 60% console.

Using those numbers, then my estimate is

Cyberpunk PC sales in 3 weeks = 0.56 x 13.7 = 7.672 million
Elden Ring to Cyberpunk PC sale ratio = 0.891/1.054 = 0.9
In 3 weeks, Elden Ring PC sale should be = 0.9 x 7.672 = 6.9 million (Even Steamspy estimates that Elden Ring PC sales already reached, AT LEAST, 5 million)
Soulsborne install base is 40% PC, so 6.9/0.4 = 17 million (total Elden Ring sales in 3 weeks, PC+PS+Xbox) --> Even I think this is too high, I think it's more around 10-12 million first month sales
Nah, it has reached 8.5 million at least on PC. You will see.

How do we know this? I'm willing to bet it's bigger on PC than console.

Even first week UK sale supports this stat

PlayStation will always have the biggest fanbase for Souls games. Demon's Souls and Bloodborne are exclusive to PlayStation. Each of Dark Souls game was released on console first, PC at later dates

Last edited:

MiguelItUp

Absolutely incredible game. I can't stop thinking about it, I can't stop playing it, etc. I'm 80 hours in and level 92, and I'm still nowhere near done.

I seriously can't remember the last game that made me feel this way. It may have been Skyrim? Unsure. I'm really happy for FS, I hope they're very happy with the results, and hopefully we get even more content!

Dream-Knife

Banned

SSfox

Fromsoft just did their best to deliver an amazing game, no agenda here, no woke shit, and no pander to "muh game too hard" jurnouz, and they got rewarded, simple as that.

rwPY9EG.gif

Top Bottom