• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"Elden Ring is poised to be a Generation defining game"

Kupfer

Sleepy Dark Souls GIF by BANDAI NAMCO Entertainment

mhhhhhhh.​

iHaunter

Overhype is a big problem in this industry. I don't really blame From Soft. But they need to tame this beast early.

VN1X

Banned
Major Souls fan on YouTube overhypes latest Souls game.
I'm hyped for this but yeah this does seem to be the case (once again).

For all the shit this industry puts out, all these so-called influencers and 'journalists' sure do a terrific job of overhyping up games time and time again as well; setting unreasonable expectations in the process and making people more cynical and prone to dismiss anything that isn't a 9/10 or higher. Fuck all that.

Last edited:

Raven117

Gold Member
Why do people insist on bringing up BotW in these threads?

I don't see the comparison in the slightest...other than there being an "open world." BotW as far from the first one to do that.

I don't get it? Its almost like....they are afraid that Elden Ring will take the mantle "omgerrr, best game evaa" or something ridiculous like that.

Gaelyon

It will most certainly be a major game that will be remembered a decade later. If you don't see past "it's a generic dark soul game with a large map" that's okay but your loss. However From software games are their own genre and can't please everyone, obviously.

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
well, so if your saying its not going to feel the same or slower (rolling sucks) then it wont be as good a game to me. I quit dark souls 3 because rolling felt so much worse compared to bloodborne movment
But remember Bloodborne was balanced around that because like I said before dodging was your only defence.

Raven117

Gold Member
Open world games which exploration is based on curiosity rather than map markers. It also reminds me of Morrowind and Dragon's Dogma.

Also swords, fantasy and all that stuff.
Sure. As I said...other than the lack of map markers...I don't see how this is in anyway comparable. The design philosophies are extremely different.

Are we going to have a million topics now about this? I know we as gamers are thirsty for the first potential amazing game in quite a while since 2021 was kinda eh but cmon.

TintoConCasera

I bought a sex doll, but I keep it inflated 100% of the time and use it like a regular wife
Sure. As I said...other than the lack of map markers...I don't see how this is in anyway comparable. The design philosophies are extremely different.
Considering the lack of games that fit the description, I think it's a valid comparison even if by design they are (just slightly, imo) different games.

Wooxsvan

But remember Bloodborne was balanced around that because like I said before dodging was your only defence.
sure, i understand. I am going to buy the game, but am skeptical i'll enjoy it more because of said movement. combat feeling is a huge reason i love bloodborne

Saber

I agree to some extend that could be fans way too deep on their hyping levels, they tend to exagerate. But at same time, its not like the creator of the Souls delivering a generic experience. It will be another superb experience, I'm betting on that.

I don't see the comparison in the slightest...other than there being an "open world." BotW as far from the first one to do that.

I don't get it? Its almost like....they are afraid that Elden Ring will take the mantle "omgerrr, best game evaa" or something ridiculous like that.

Its their way to downplay great games.

GymWolf

Gold Member

Botw invented both open worlds, exploration and gaming as a whole, you love to see it.

Thirty7ven

Banned
Botw invented both open worlds, exploration and gaming as a whole, you love to see it.

Nintendo fans always go ape shit over Zelda, then 10 years they turn around and say that game was actually not that great, but the new one is.

Ocarina of Time keeps dropping further and further down the GOAT list of these people, somebody explain how that's possible considering it was n1 for two decades. In a few years time that game won't even crack the top 30. Says it all.

MiguelItUp

The game is a generic dark souls ripoff, nothing special.
I love that this was posted by "Syphon Filter."

I mean, is anyone shocked that fans of Souls games are in love with the game? If anything, that means if YOU'RE a fan of Souls games, then you may have a reason to be excited as well. A bunch of previews wrote it up saying that it's a product of all the Souls games rolled into one. Almost like a celebration piece. I think that is certainly worth being excited about.

Am I biased? Totally. But it's hard not not feel like this game will leave a mark like other huge games have in the past.

Phase

Nintendo fans always go ape shit over Zelda, then 10 years they turn around and say that game was actually not that great, but the new one is.

Ocarina of Time keeps dropping further and further down the GOAT list of these people, somebody explain how that's possible considering it was n1 for two decades. In a few years time that game won't even crack the top 30. Says it all.
Probably because there are more and more people who've never actually played them as time goes on. The magic of a time is lost in that time.

Last edited:

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster
Love all the Souls' games, not equally, but there isn't one I haven't 100%'d multiple times.

My question is, what needs to be added to them in order to make them better for you? Because although what Elden Ring appears to add seems cool, I'm not yet convinced that its going to take it to the "next level" for me. At the end of the day for my tastes the key appeal has always been the atmosphere and the challenging combat, the rest of it is just gravy.

Thirty7ven

Banned
Probably because there are more and more people who've never actually played them as time goes on.

Sure, meanwhile a ton of other games from the 90s crack the top 20 and top 10 no problem, but a game from 98? It's suddenly from the 80s.

Top Bottom