• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

ELDEN RING |OT| One Ring To Rule Them All

spons

Gold Member
Yeah I lucked out and got the first one almost dead by being hyper-aggressive before the second one joined in. Then it was just a matter of keeping my distance and chipping away the last part of the first one's health bar. Its a DPS fight at first. Once its a 1v1 its substantially easier like most of the double bosses. I was using a quick weapon with FTH buffs but if I eventually run a STR build I can already see how tough this will be with big, slow weapons.

Good luck! You've got this.
Yeah, I defeated both. Managed to do it by focusing on one specifically so you don't have two alive all the time.

I reached the final boss, and it’s astoundingly hard, mimic tear or not.

So I managed to beat Maliketh—I love his mid-fight reveal cutscene and his moveset. One of my favorite bosses in this game. Again, without the mimic tear I don’t think I would’ve been able to best him.

I returned to Leyndell and found Gideon waiting to me. Not sure why he wanted to fight, but I made short work of him. No hard feelings pal. I love the character’s voice.

Also, returning to the roundtable is a bit sad when all of its denizens are gone save for Hewg, Rodericka, and surprisingly Dung Eater? Anyway, Hewg is one of my favorite NPCs. I always enjoyed listening to his lines. “Where have you been hiding? I took you for dead. Well, no matter, it’s all the same. Bear out your arms then.”

Rodericka is low key is the best waifu in the game. So cute, kind and well-spoken.

I went to fight Godfrey and beat him without much trouble. Great character who would’ve had more impact with more screentime.

So, finally I face Radagon/Elden Beast. First phase is brutal but manageable. Second phase though, holy shit. Good luck running all the way to the boss while dodging the million star shard things. So powerful and huge (meaning the camera works against you) and yet agile. I get it to half health before dying as I consume my last flask. Spent multiple arc runes in vain. Not sure what I can do to beat it. Any tips?

Last edited:

DelireMan7

So I managed to beat Maliketh—I love his mid-fight reveal cutscene and his moveset. One of my favorite bosses in this game. Again, without the mimic tear I don’t think I would’ve been able to best him.

I returned to Leyndell and found Gideon waiting to me. Not sure why he wanted to fight, but I made short work of him. No hard feelings pal. I love the character’s voice.

Also, returning to the roundtable is a bit sad when all of its denizens are gone save for Hewg, Rodericka, and surprisingly Dung Eater? Anyway, Hewg is one of my favorite NPCs. I always enjoyed listening to his lines. “Where have you been hiding? I took you for dead. Well, no matter, it’s all the same. Bear out your arms then.”

Rodericka is low key is the best waifu in the game. So cute, kind and well-spoken.

I went to fight Godfrey and beat him without much trouble. Great character who would’ve had more impact with more screentime.

So, finally I face Radagon/Elden Beast. First phase is brutal but manageable. Second phase though, holy shit. Good luck running all the way to the boss while dodging the million star shard things. So powerful and huge (meaning the camera works against you) and yet agile. I get it to half health before dying as I consume my last flask. Spent multiple arc runes in vain. Not sure what I can do to beat it. Any tips?

I wish Godfrey had more screen time too. This boss fight is incredible.

For the final boss I loved the first phase. Second phase is worst boss possible for me. Constantly running is not fun.

He's immuned to basically every ailment and resistant to all element (especially Holy). So stick with physical damage. Stuff like Black flame or Maliketh abilities to burn HP are extremely powerful against it.
Try to break his poise as much as you can.

Last edited:

Soodanim

Gold Member
ValiantTraveler ValiantTraveler my suggestion is along the same lines as DelireMan7 DelireMan7 : Black Knife Tiche is a good summon for EB because of the ranged black flame attack she does. Being able to sap its health before it runs away makes a big difference.

The same kind of goes for other ranged attacks, so weapons like Blasphemous Blade, Ruin Greatsword, and of course the Black Knife Blade will all help get hits in.

Outside of that, it's all about dodging EB's stupid attacks. I don't have as much trouble as some with the ones that follow you, I just keep sprinting and keep my distance. You'll take damage eventually though, so the more healing you go into EB with the better. Don't forget about Warming Stones, they can be a nice help if you get a little bit of downtime.

DelireMan7

Also when it starts to levitate and does the big cinematic ring attack. Runaway and jump over the in coming ring. It's much more easier than rolling through it.

I did this boss solo only in my first playthrough. On my second and third playthrough I always beat first phase solo and then summons player if I die. And honestly I think, for my future playthroughs, I will consider the game beaten once I beat the first phase and that I will never face this boss again.

Soodanim

Gold Member
Also when it starts to levitate and does the big cinematic ring attack. Runaway and jump over the in coming ring. It's much more easier than rolling through it.

I did this boss solo only in my first playthrough. On my second and third playthrough I always beat first phase solo and then summons player if I die. And honestly I think, for my future playthroughs, I will consider the game beaten once I beat the first phase and that I will never face this boss again.
I've done solo EB too, and it's just not fun. There's no skill barrier to overcome, it's just a big blob that throws and spams annoying stuff then runs away way to make it last longer. Summoning spirit ashes is having mercy on yourself. It's a huge contrast to Radagon and Godfrey, who put up a fight that's worth your time and feel good to overcome.

DelireMan7

I've done solo EB too, and it's just not fun. There's no skill barrier to overcome, it's just a big blob that throws and spams annoying stuff then runs away way to make it last longer. Summoning spirit ashes is having mercy on yourself. It's a huge contrast to Radagon and Godfrey, who put up a fight that's worth your time and feel good to overcome.
The Office Thank You GIF

Once upon a time, all that was needed was Bloodhound Step. Alas, those days are over.

I tried farming magma blades and I just gave up.
I accidentally acquired 3 of them. The first was the hardest. I needed both the Silver Scarab Talisman and Silver Pickled Fowl Foot.

Last edited:

Woggleman

Still loving this game but some bosses can be repetitive. I seemed to have fought some variation of the godskin duo multiple times.

Sorry but I have to complain a little.
Lord Rykard is bullshit. Why do he spam so many heads?!
Stick to him, ignore the lava damage and keep hitting with everything you have. If you’re running around the field, the storm of flaming skulls will get you for sure, not to mention the large blade swipes. Hope that helps

Daneel Elijah

Gold Member
Stick to him, ignore the lava damage and keep hitting with everything you have. If you’re running around the field, the storm of flaming skulls will get you for sure, not to mention the large blade swipes. Hope that helps
Thanks! I killed it! But it was weird I know that I am not the best player but most boss can be beaten with no damage if you are good(I am not but I could do it with luck)that one seem to be the exception.

DelireMan7

Thanks! I killed it! But it was weird I know that I am not the best player but most boss can be beaten with no damage if you are good(I am not but I could do it with luck)that one seem to be the exception.
Hum did you use the weapon you found in the arena ? With it you can hit him from very far for a lot of damage. This is a gimmick fight.

Ok. Funny. I just have the feeling spamming attack work to beat Rykard.
Just few dodges here and there
It is a spam fight, but I found it very satisfying, overpowering what is arguably the most intimidating looking boss.

It's hard to dodge his second phase long-range attacks from a distance. In general, sticking to huge bosses works great, except for the Elden Beast which just moves far away before you can dish out lots of damage.

I'm about to try fighting it again...

Soodanim

Gold Member
Sorry but I have to complain a little.
Lord Rykard is bullshit. Why do he spam so many heads?!
You can essentially stun lock him if you move a couple steps after each attack with the boss weapon. I can't remember if it's R1s or R2s (or L2, it's been ages), but what I was doing when I accidentally found it was holding a direction as the attack played out, then after a step or two starting the next attack. What happens is the step(s) adds extra time so that Rykard isn't still in his recovery animation when you strike.

It's something you have to get a feel for, but it does make the fight painless. But do remember that people beat him without the boss weapon, so it is possible. It's just that crazy skull attack that you have to run away from for a long time. Elden Ring likes unnecessarily long attacks for some reason.

Last edited:

Daneel Elijah

Gold Member
You can essentially stun lock him if you move a couple steps after each attack with the boss weapon. I can't remember if it's R1s or R2s, but what I was doing when I accidentally found it was holding a direction as the attack played out, then after a step or two starting the next attack. What happens is the step(s) adds extra time so that Rykard isn't still in his recovery animation when you strike.

It's something you have to get a feel for, but it does make the fight painless. But do remember that people beat him without the boss weapon, so it is possible. It's just that crazy skull attack that you have to run away from for a long time. Elden Ring likes unnecessarily long attacks for some reason.
thanks! I already beat him but during the fights I tried running away from the skulls and he always hit me with the sword and kill me.

Soodanim

Gold Member
thanks! I already beat him but during the fights I tried running away from the skulls and he always hit me with the sword and kill me.
I missed that post, oops. Might be useful for someone else. The time I stunlocked he couldn't do anything except when my stamina was gone. I don't think he got anything major off.

Rykard feels like a boss you could really use Torrent in, given the size of the arena and amount of running you do.

Daneel Elijah

Gold Member
I missed that post, oops. Might be useful for someone else. The time I stunlocked he couldn't do anything except when my stamina was gone. I don't think he got anything major off.

Rykard feels like a boss you could really use Torrent in, given the size of the arena and amount of running you do.
YES! The second part I spent a few tries looking for torrent but no... Not linked to that fight but the boss that accept Torrent are always hard to fight without it. But it can be fun when it is not a dragon.

DelireMan7

YES! The second part I spent a few tries looking for torrent but no... Not linked to that fight but the boss that accept Torrent are always hard to fight without it. But it can be fun when it is not a dragon.
I love using Torrent in Dragon fight to get closer or run from fire quickly.
Run toward the dragon, jump from torrent and attack the dragon. It flies and starts breathing fire, quickly call torrent and run away.

Torrent is so dynamic to jump in and off. It so cool. I just don't like attack on it. It feels so wanky for me.

Don't want to spoil but a specific fight would really need to allow Torrent. Such a painful boss without it.

Soodanim

Gold Member
Especially if you learn to abuse the stationary (dis)mount invulnerability, although that's not an intended mechanic.

I quite like the dragons fights, I tend to use a mix of horse and no horse and the fights feel more varied because of it. Most other fights I usually do one or the other, and it's usually on foot because Torrent's hit animation has locked me up until death more times than I care to remember. Thanks Torrent, you can get me across the map quickly but the lowest level goon lazily holds a flame out and you're stunlocked. I feel like the game wanted to encourage horseback vs horseback, but none of those fights go well.i

Edit: beaten by seconds!

Last edited:
Got beaten by the final boss many times again...

I deleted Devil May Cry 5 to free up some space for recording short videos, and now the PS4 has download the latest patch. Does that mean the stupid bird in Mohgwyn Palace will no longer fall to its death when attacked by an arrow? Is the Rivers of Blood nerfed now?

DelireMan7

I deleted Devil May Cry 5 to free up some space for recording short videos, and now the PS4 has download the latest patch. Does that mean the stupid bird in Mohgwyn Palace will no longer fall to its death when attacked by an arrow? Is the Rivers of Blood nerfed now?
I think the bird can still fall but not as consistently as before.

Rivers of blood is nerfed. I don't remember in which way.

By the way, you want some help for the final boss ? I know how this one is painful (and boring) alone.

I think the bird can still fall but not as consistently as before.

Rivers of blood is nerfed. I don't remember in which way.

By the way, you want some help for the final boss ? I know how this one is painful (and boring) alone.
I would love to! I usually play between 8:30 and 9:30 PM GMT+1 time. So that’s sometime during the afternoon in the USA. Not sur if my internet speed can handle an ally though.

DelireMan7

I would love to! I usually play between 8:30 and 9:30 PM GMT+1 time. So that’s sometime during the afternoon in the USA. Not sur if my internet speed can handle an ally though.

If I remember some screenshots you posted here, you're French right ? Me too, so it's fine for the play time. I play usually around 9 PM.

Add me on PSN : DelireMan7. I might be available tonight.

If I remember some screenshots you posted here, you're French right ? Me too, so it's fine for the play time. I play usually around 9 PM.

Add me on PSN : DelireMan7. I might be available tonight.
I’m Moroccan actually, but yeah I play the game in French.

Gonna connect the PS4 to my mobile data cause it’s faster. Will add you, I’m KhalidMagnus.

Edit: wait I need PS+ to summon a friend?

Last edited:

Soodanim

Gold Member

The RoB nerf isn't too bad, it mostly nerfs the area where only the blood hits and not the blade. If you're getting up close, then the nerf amount is apparently much smaller.

DelireMan7

I started a NG+ build with Blasphemous Blade and Lightning/Crucible Incantations, wearing the Crucible set. Incredibly fun, but OP as hell:messenger_grinning_sweat:
In my little experience of NG+ in Soulsborne game, you are always OP in it xD. One of the reason I don't like it.

I love the Crucible incantations. I used them on my first character, great fun. Great to break poise.

Banjo64

cumsessed
I’ve always been a melee character DeS through to Bloodborne, however yeah, I’m getting on a bit and don’t have as much time in life. So I’m a dirty Astrologer scrub.

And ho lee fuck. I absolutely breezed through Margit and Godfrey with the astrologer staff, pretty under levelled IMO.

Then came Renalla. Piss easy first phase. But because I’m a glass canon with a tiny health bar, and because she moves quick and summons/fires of quick sorceries, I’ve been absolutely fucked by her. Spent the last 3 nights trying, and probably spent about 4 hours total on her. Tried to go melee for her instead, ok, picked up the Sword of St Trina; dog shit. Ok, Carian Slicer is meant to be OP; duh u fucking idiot she is a mage, it barely tickles her.

Absolutely fucking dicked her tonight by going to Caria Manor, farming for the Lazuli Glintsword and then upgrading it to level 6. This sword deals massive damage and is fast as lightning, like it’s insane. After beating her I invested the 40k into my intelligence to get it to level 30, and obviously the sword scales with it.

This game is class.

Last edited:

Soodanim

Gold Member
I’ve always been a melee character DeS through to Bloodborne, however yeah, I’m getting on a bit and don’t have as much time in life. So I’m a dirty Astrologer scrub.

And ho lee fuck. I absolutely breezed through Margit and Godfrey with the astrologer staff, pretty under levelled IMO.

Then came Renalla. Piss easy first phase. But because I’m a glass canon with a tiny health bar, and because she moves quick and summons/fires of quick sorceries, I’ve been absolutely fucked by her. Spent the last 3 nights trying, and probably spent about 4 hours total on her. Tried to go melee for her instead, ok, picked up the Sword of St Trina; dog shit. Ok, Carian Slicer is meant to be OP; duh u fucking idiot she is a mage, it barely tickles her.

Absolutely fucking dicked her tonight by going to Caria Manor, farming for the Lazuli Glintsword and then upgrading it to level 6. This sword deals massive damage and is fast as lightning, like it’s insane. After beating her I invested the 40k into my intelligence to get it to level 30, and obviously the sword scales with it.

This game is class.
You did all that at under level 30? Yeah that's definitely underleveled!

I love specific elemental builds, but you pretty much have to have a backup because there's almost always something that's immune to your chosen element. Fire's a big one for that, they give you so much of it but there's several immune enemies and at least one boss. Holy's a weird one for it, it's nearly all locked away in the late game but by that time most bosses have huge resistances to it.

Banjo64

cumsessed
You did all that at under level 30? Yeah that's definitely underleveled!
I was 25 overall (24 Mind, 24 Intelligence, one point in to Strength for St Trina’s blade).

I’d just been spamming Rock Sling and summoning wolves when needed, and it made light work of every previous enemy.

I love specific elemental builds, but you pretty much have to have a backup because there's almost always something that's immune to your chosen element. Fire's a big one for that, they give you so much of it but there's several immune enemies and at least one boss. Holy's a weird one for it, it's nearly all locked away in the late game but by that time most bosses have huge resistances to it.
First ever time playing as mage and it’s really fun. Good advice here, thank you. I’ll try to make sure I have contingencies in place before I hit another wall :messenger_horns:

Soodanim

Gold Member
I was 25 overall (24 Mind, 24 Intelligence, one point in to Strength for St Trina’s blade).

I’d just been spamming Rock Sling and summoning wolves when needed, and it made light work of every previous enemy.

First ever time playing as mage and it’s really fun. Good advice here, thank you. I’ll try to make sure I have contingencies in place before I hit another wall :messenger_horns:
Rock Sling is a great spell, I think it does physical damage so it's always good to keep at the ready, even if it isn't the quickest.

One thing the game doesn't really tell you: "Night" spells don't trigger enemy dodging. I find that essential to know as the game progresses.

I’m starting to get annoyed by the final boss. I won’t give up, but I’m going to respec and try a Faith build. Heard the Blasphemous blade is OP especially when using buff incantations.

I don’t know if I want to get the Black Knife Tiche. Sure it’s OP but it looks like defeating it is quite hard, and I’m not a very skilled player against agile enemies. I’ll give it a try and see how it goes.

I’m level 175. How should I distribute my stats for the Blasphemous Blade? I know high Faith is important, but should I invest in Strength or Dexterity?

I’m starting to get annoyed by the final boss. I won’t give up, but I’m going to respec and try a Faith build. Heard the Blasphemous blade is OP especially when using buff incantations.

I don’t know if I want to get the Black Knife Tiche. Sure it’s OP but it looks like defeating it is quite hard, and I’m not a very skilled player against agile enemies. I’ll give it a try and see how it goes.

I’m level 175. How should I distribute my stats for the Blasphemous Blade? I know high Faith is important, but should I invest in Strength or Dexterity?
You can cheese Tiche. I don't know if you like cheese, but Youtube is your friend.

Soodanim

Gold Member

Alecto is annoying to fight, but with Black Knife assassins it really is a case of learning their attacks if you want to fight them clean. Learn their movements and punish at the end of their attack. Or, since you're faith now, Rot Breath. Can't dodge the status effects you already have.

Some form of Black Flame is always useful again EB, whether it's Tiche or not. You also have access to to the Black Knife, so if Blasphemous Blade doesn't quite take your fancy (it will) then there's another option. But to be honest, most of its value comes from doing ranged damage and healing you in the process, so I don't know what the better stat boost would be.

Taker's Flames only scales with Faith (pure fire damage) and it heals 10% + extra HP, so make sure you have at least 40 Vigor. The levels from 30-40 give nice boosts.

Last edited:

Mephisto40

I would seriously suggest just summoning players to help until you get two that just steamroll the final boss, it will happen eventually

I am having the wierdest experience. I am erasing bosses with the Bloody Helice, but I am getting ganked by mobs and invaders. I am missing a horizontal attack like the heavy attack of the Estoc like you would not believe. At this point I am just throwing explosive stones at anything even remotely resembling a group or an invader.

P.S. I am really happy the explosive tear elevator skip in Leyndell still works!

Last edited:
Top Bottom