• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

ELDEN RING |OT| One Ring To Rule Them All

That one. That backflip thing just decimates enemies.
Yeah, you retreat right after a big blow. And then you can follow up right afterwards with a strong attack by pressing R2. However with agile enemies you can get hit before the attacks lands since your character does a slow swinging motion. So it’s important to read the enemy’s movements to determine when they are most likely to attack first. I wonder if the Bloodhound’s Finesse is effective against Malenia?

DelireMan7

P.S. Surprised to hear about the dislike of Haligtree. I thought the area was good enough to be standalone DLC.
Haligtree is an impressive location. I love its level design and the location itself.
Just the difficulty spikes are annoying.
It really reminds me some part of Demon's Souls that I find unfair.
Like the place with all the revenants. Or fighting the strongest Misbegotten in very small space. The Erdtree avatar with 2 powerful knights. The rot swamp that reduced your mobility while pests enemies are attacking you... The entire area is filled with much harder(and unfair) enemies/situation that the rest of the game, culminating with Malenia's Waterflow... I love the Soulsborne but their difficulty was never a really important for me. I like the fact that they are challenging but fair. I find Haligtree is not respecting this rule and it annoys me a lot.

Last edited:

22:22:22

NO PAIN TRANCE CONTINUE
Haligtree is an impressive location. I love its level design and the location itself.
Just the difficulty spikes are annoying.
It really reminds me some part of Demon's Souls that I find unfair.
Like the place with all the revenants. Or fighting the strongest Misbegotten in very small space. The Erdtree avatar with 2 powerful knights. The rot swamp that reduced your mobility while pests enemies are attacking you... The entire area is filled with much harder(and unfair) enemies/situation that the rest of the game, culminating with Malenia's Waterflow... I love the Soulsborne but their difficulty was never a really important for me. I like the fact that they are challenging but fair. I find Haligtree is not respecting this rule and it annoys me a lot.

It had some more challenging sections for sure. Such that I had to run through the revenant ballista section to get to a bonfire so I could approach the level route as " intended" and wouldn't have to retry such a large enemy filled walk back.

Swam = dagger = NP

Ulcerated turd snake was a major asshole tho. Only those 3 crystal knights left and what's her name.

But only that revenant ballista and tree combo who were more or less close together gave me some issues. Didn't really mind it except for turdsnake.

Currently lost in a loop in Azula. Going to youtube to see what's up. Feel weak doing that but it makes me frustrated enough it's warranted

Last edited:

Soodanim

Gold Member
There is no input reading in Elden Ring.

The AI is set to react to animations of the player character.

Zullie's mistake in that video is saying it's "functionally similar", because people misunderstand the context of what she's saying. It's functionally identical from a player perspective, and only functionally similar when you're getting down to the minute details of game design, which is what her videos often go into. This video amounts to trivia, in essence.

No one cares that it's not technically input reading in the strictest sense, because the fact that it responds to the start of an animation - the very next step after the input - rather than the button press itself amounts to a difference of a fraction of a frame. It's also probably only coded that way for simplicity on From's part, and that fact that you need to open the game up way beyond what's intended to know that means their intent was input reading. It's like worrying about an inch difference in a marathon length: there's technically a difference, but what difference does it actually make when you're running 26 miles either way? When flask drinking causes an instantaneous reaction, a millisecond or two difference thanks to the coding method is irrelevant.

It's interesting trivia, though. I like Zullie's work.

It had some more challenging sections for sure. Such that I had to run through the revenant ballista section to get to a bonfire so I could approach the level route as " intended" and wouldn't have to retry such a large enemy filled walk back.

Swam = dagger = NP

Ulcerated turd snake was a major asshole tho. Only those 3 crystal knights left and what's her name.

But only that revenant ballista and tree combo who were more or less close together gave me some issues. Didn't really mind it except for turdsnake.

Currently lost in a loop in Azula. Going to youtube to see what's up. Feel weak doing that but it makes me frustrated enough it's warranted
The funny thing about the ballistas, Haligtree knight duo, and Tree Avatar is that you were supposed to look ahead and instead take a detour (by taking a hop to the nearby balcony with an archer and walking relatively unhindered with the exception of a Cleanrot Knight to the site of grace) just like at the start of Stormveil Castle. As for the Avatar, it cannot follow you down the stairs and is easily lured away from the knights from behind. Easy to cheese.

Last edited:

NO PAIN TRANCE CONTINUE
Watching a Farum run and it looks Im almost 70% through..Only missed like 2 or 3 items i think. Not bad. But need to progress. Saw someone about 2 armor sets! Sweet.

Btw my Uchikatana is is now 25+ Second maxed weapon. Wanna go for a Hammer of another Collosol Greatsword. Maybe that one DelireMan7 DelireMan7 uses with that awesome purple shockwave

DelireMan7

Watching a Farum run and it looks Im almost 70% through..Only missed like 2 or 3 items i think. Not bad. But need to progress. Saw someone about 2 armor sets! Sweet.

Btw my Uchikatana is is now 25+ Second maxed weapon. Wanna go for a Hammer of another Collosol Greatsword. Maybe that one DelireMan7 DelireMan7 uses with that awesome purple shockwave
I can't recommend enough the Ruin's Greastsword ;)

NO PAIN TRANCE CONTINUE
Man i travelled out of Azula. Gonna google now

Only getting hits of how to initially get there ffs

Last edited:

NO PAIN TRANCE CONTINUE
At anyone here,

How do I return to Farum after leaving to farm a bit

Google isn't helpful

Please 🥵😭💗🍑

Last edited:

NO PAIN TRANCE CONTINUE
??
Just teleport via the map ? I am not sure to understand your question xD

What the flippy flip flops?

Just got home let me check te map again... I could've sworn I couldn't find it.. Oh wait. It's in the underground part I guess..

Jezus christ on a bicycle I wasn't even THAT groggy this morning....

The Shining Reaction GIF

Last edited:

NO PAIN TRANCE CONTINUE
Arrived at Azula's boss. Made a build with the best armor whilst keeping medium to unleash Lion's Claw on it

Seemed he has some windows open here and there.

Last edited:

DelireMan7

Arrived at Azula's boss. Made a build with the best armor whilst keeping medium to unleash Lion's Claw on it

Seemed he has some windows open here and there.
This boss constantly keeps moving. I hate him xD

There is an hidden boss in Azula. I highly recommend to do it (probably my favorite fight of the game)

NO PAIN TRANCE CONTINUE
This boss constantly keeps moving. I hate him xD

There is an hidden boss in Azula. I highly recommend to do it (probably my favorite fight of the game)

Took me three tries. With Mimic so I could buff. Without Great Rune (always forget i have those)

The second phase cutscene was brilliant

Hidden boss? Hint please?

Last edited:

DelireMan7

Took me three tries. With Mimic so I could buff. Without Great Rune (always forget i have those)

The second phase cutscene was brilliant

Hidden boss? Hint please?
From the site of grace before the boss (named "Under the bridge" or something like that), go back and take the lift. Run past the room with water and the beastmen casting lightning. Go out of the room and straight away. Check the edge of the cliff, you can drop on some ground underneath (there is usually messages if playing online).

Last edited:

NO PAIN TRANCE CONTINUE
Melania's (yes she has a slightly different name) second phase is brutal without mimic still being around. I've almost got her twice; just a few hits away. My last attempt was a phase two 1vs1 and yeah... super agro. I'm just rolling an healing till I died.

Soodanim

Gold Member
From the site of grace before the boss (named "Under the bridge" or something like that), go back and take the lift. Run past the room with water and the beastmen casting lightning. Go out of the room and straight away. Check the edge of the cliff, you can drop on some ground underneath (there is usually messages if playing online).
The thing with this is there's no way of giving hints, you either spotted something in the distance, guessed it wasn't just background, and searched for it; or you were told exactly where it was by someone that did. I get that's where the message system comes in, but this boss was obscure. Isn't there only one reference to it in the whole game?
Melania's (yes she has a slightly different name) second phase is brutal without mimic still being around. I've almost got her twice; just a few hits away. My last attempt was a phase two 1vs1 and yeah... super agro. I'm just rolling an healing till I died.
Watch some Malenia fights you YouTube and try to pick up on the general gameplay style (positioning, aggressiveness, etc) as well as the reactions to individual attacks.

If you can adjust to a reactionary play style (punishing her moves instead of going on the offensive), you should be able to get through her first phase without taking too much damage. Then you can summon Mimic for phase 2 after the initial attack that summons seem to stand in until they die.

NO PAIN TRANCE CONTINUE
If you can adjust to a reactionary play style (punishing her moves instead of going on the offensive), you should be able to get through her first phase without taking too much damage. Then you can summon Mimic for phase 2 after the initial attack that summons seem to stand in until they die.

Wow that's exactly what I was trying to do. Punish her missed moves, get some lucky rng and summon mimic when she goes into her second phase. Well the last couple tries before I had to stop.

Last edited:

DelireMan7

The thing with this is there's no way of giving hints, you either spotted something in the distance, guessed it wasn't just background, and searched for it; or you were told exactly where it was by someone that did. I get that's where the message system comes in, but this boss was obscure. Isn't there only one reference to it in the whole game?
I agree. I miss it. Even after a friend told me to explore really well Farum Azula.
Then he told me. I know the Old lord talisman refer to it. I remember having red that a old Dragon was said to live in the middle of the tornado. Probably from the talisman.
But to find it, it's really obscure. Kind of a random location xD

Nankatsu

Gold Member
Is the game more stable on the PS5 now (PS5 version), or the exact same thing when it was launched?

I've bought the game when released but have been holding on it.

DelireMan7

Is the game more stable on the PS5 now (PS5 version), or the exact same thing when it was launched?

I've bought the game when released but have been holding on it.
My experience on PS5 as someone who isn't sensible to framerate drop and others "major" technical issue :

Game runs wonderfully xD There is just some jarring pop in (mainly huge portion of grass appearing suddenly) here and there.
I never had any other issue than that. (except some extreme framerate drop when cornered, the boss on me and the camera going crazy. But this happened like twice and I was already dead by then xD)

Nankatsu

Gold Member
My experience on PS5 as someone who isn't sensible to framerate drop and others "major" technical issue :

Game runs wonderfully xD There is just some jarring pop in (mainly huge portion of grass appearing suddenly) here and there.
I never had any other issue than that. (except some extreme framerate drop when cornered, the boss on me and the camera going crazy. But this happened like twice and I was already dead by then xD)
Might jump into this after Returnal.

Are you playing with VRR or without it?

I reached the Haligtree. And fell to my death an embarrassing amount of time :messenger_tears_of_joy::messenger_tears_of_joy::messenger_tears_of_joy:

It doesn't halp that the emissaries can now shoot homing bubbles, kinda like Killer Queen in JoJo. Looks like I'm gonna have to run for my life until I reach the next site of grace.

In the meantime, I returned to the snowfields and killed the two invading NPCs. The one who shoots blood or something is super hard from a distance, but somehow in my second fight once I got him in a narrow place, he was easy to hit with Bloodhound's Finesse. Good riddance.

I also found the teleporter that takes to the Palace of Mohgwyn. My God what a stressing place. I got that unsettling feeling again like in Caelid. The big bird with ugly tumors is so vicious. What makes it worse is that I got invaded by two NPCs in a row so I can't use Torrent to flee. Still managed to kill them.

It's strange that some of the alien-like guys don't attack me until I attack them. So I left them in peace and carried on. I reached the palace and made my way through the cave area. The mimic tear is super helpful here as it doesn't get the bleeding alteration and doesn't run out of MP either. It literrally killed a dozen enemies while I stood by watching.

Now I have arrived the site of grace before Mohg. Wish me luck!

Any good tips on how to beat the Astel Natural Born of the void boss without constantly being grabbed and killed in one shot?
Stay close to it on its side and spam your strongest attack, whether it's physical or a spell or anything. Don't stand in front of it. Its grab attack killed me easily. If you stay far from it, it'll summon the meteors and they are hard to dodge. So stick close to Astel's side and you should be fine.

Soodanim

Gold Member
I also found the teleporter that takes to the Palace of Mohgwyn. My God what a stressing place. I got that unsettling feeling again like in Caelid. The big bird with ugly tumors is so vicious. What makes it worse is that I got invaded by two NPCs in a row so I can't use Torrent to flee. Still managed to kill them.
I can't be clear enough about this: fuck those birds.
It's strange that some of the alien-like guys don't attack me until I attack them. So I left them in peace and carried on. I reached the palace and made my way through the cave area. The mimic tear is super helpful here as it doesn't get the bleeding alteration and doesn't run out of MP either. It literrally killed a dozen enemies while I stood by watching.
So you didn't decide to maybe kill them all, release how many souls you got, then rinse and repeat? You big softie. To be fair for a long time I ran past them and farmed the actual aggressive ones in the large area

I can't be clear enough about this: fuck those birds.

So you didn't decide to maybe kill them all, release how many souls you got, then rinse and repeat? You big softie. To be fair for a long time I ran past them and farmed the actual aggressive ones in the large area
The poor jars in the Stormveil Castle are still weighing on my conscience.. 😂
That bird in Mohgwyn is great for farming runes. I leveled up like crazy in the past few days.
I just learned about the farming trick! It’s so hilarious watching the bird fall to its death after getting poked by an arrow and trying to reach me. I quickly gained some 3-4 levels. Went back to Kalé and bought 50 arrows lol. Best farming spot by far 😂

So I defeated Mohg on my second try! I did well to focus my stats on vitality first and foremost (currently 54), I was able to survive some of the bleeding long enough to use the red balls and a couple of healing flasks. Once again I must thank the mimic tear for its invaluable support.

Mohg’s entrance is one of the most original in the entire game, the dude is very mysterious and intimidating. That cocoon where Miquella lies seems like it will return in a future DLC.

I went back to the Haligtree and managed to make it to the second site of grace without dying. With the emissaries bombarding me from a distance, the giant ant, and whatever the hell that was that was giving me scarlet rot, that was a close call. I’m not going back to that place.

Last edited:

Soodanim

Gold Member
I remade my regen-heavy character to use the Bloodhound's Fang because I ignored it on my first playthrough, and this thing is so good. Stylish, heavy hitting, good range, and bleed. And it's not elemental so you can use greases to make it even better. S tier PVE weapon, no doubt about it.

The regen theme is as it implies: as much regen as possible. Per second:
  • +8 Royal Remains armour (when below 18% HP)
  • +2 Talisman
  • +3 Icon Shield
  • +10 Holy Ground (shield skill, only a small radius)
  • +25 Warming Stone
  • +7 Crimsonburst Tear
    • +12 Blessing of the Erdtree replaces this later if I want to sacrifice ~30 levels of Vigor
Then there's the Flask mix for +10% HP and regen 5% when hit, so I think this could get fun. I am also thinking about throwing in an Ironjar Aromatic so that I can tank through foes. I could use Malenia's Great Rune for Bloodborne's health regen, but I prefer the HP boost of others (I rarely activate the runes anyway).

Bloodhound's Finesse is the most effective weapon in the game by far for me. Unlike many other weapons, it:
- is effective from the moment you get it
- doesn't require a high stat in intelligence, faith, or esoterism, so you can use it in many builds
- is less slow than other big swords
- has an ash of war that lets you attack and retreat, and then attack again if you choose to

Soodanim

Gold Member
Bloodhound's Finesse is the most effective weapon in the game by far for me. Unlike many other weapons, it:
- is effective from the moment you get it
- doesn't require a high stat in intelligence, faith, or esoterism, so you can use it in many builds
- is less slow than other big swords
- has an ash of war that lets you attack and retreat, and then attack again if you choose to
100%, and it's not even obscure like others. Darriwil is easy to get to, and even if you can't beat him solo the game points you in the direction of Blaidd who can probably solo the fight. If you started as Samurai, that's just 2 points in Dex and you're done for two handing. On the subject of Finesse, the followup attack actually being a BHStep and giving you the iFrames is huge (and again, very stylish). Usually you don't get access to that until Caelid or Volcano Manor. I'm glad they haven't nerfed it, it must have been by design to help the game be accessible to more people.

Top Bottom