• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

ELDEN RING |OT| One Ring To Rule Them All

22:22:22

NO PAIN TRANCE CONTINUE
Kind of want this tattooed on my left arm with the orbs (more orbs going upwards towards my neck / ear) more so that it's wings wrap around my shoulder, higher bicep area. The rest going down to my wrist more or less.. it's awesome.. the colors.... Badass and ethereal

Like a partial sleeve

bmmbECn.png

Have to sell my right arm tho

Last edited:

NO PAIN TRANCE CONTINUE
Question

Those 3 crystal dudes guarding that chest at Melania or ulcer turd bonfire. I got the loot..scarlet rot crystal sword.

So I defeat them with that?

Just read to lure them one by one

Last edited:

NO PAIN TRANCE CONTINUE

I don't have this. I have the structures but water instead of desert with poop worms.

??????????

Last edited:
1. You do not need to defeat the crystal guardians to open the chest, but facing them all at once is tanamount to suicide for most builds. Therefore, tossing something at individual ones, aggroing them, and leading them away from the group is the way to go.

2. Once you beat Meliketh, The Black Blade in Farum Azula the capital of Leyndell will irreversably change to Capital of Ash. Starting from Badlands (area between Leyndell and Mountaintop of the Giants) site of grace you need to take the elevator up above. After crossing the bridge toward Leyndell (as oppossed to the bridge to the Divine Tower of East Atlus), there will be another elevator going down that will take you to the area with what you seek.

Last edited:
It’s good to be back to ER after my vacation.

I reached the mountaintops of the giants and the tall enemies at the Zamor ruins male for an excellent farming spot, although they’re quite tough. Can’t take them on without the mimic tear.

I also got the Greatsword aka Guts sword and spent a big amount of smithing stones and runes to upgrade it to around +20. Now it’s as strong as the Bloodhound’s Fang except that it’s slower and has a less useful Ash of War. Bloodhound’s Fang is very useful against fast enemies, so I’m wondering whether it was worth it to invest in the Greatsword. Thoughts?

Also I came across this funny video:

Now that bloodhound step and quickstep are gutter trash the major plays you have is tanking ash of war with tons of health/armor or one strike buffing ash of war used between memorized safe roll patterns with low equip weight. There is also chilling mist ash of war with cold infusion but your mileage will vary depending on enemy type.

P.S. I miss trickster dashing around bosses with colossal weapons using bloodhound step.

Last edited:
Your stats should be sufficient at your current level.

Unless you have a good greatshield, you are better off two handing with the turtle shell shield giving you a stamina recovery boost. You should probably ditch post-nerf Rivers of Blood and use a blood infused katana with Seppuku ash of war if you still want to do bleed strategy. With a mimic tear+10 and a little luck you should be able to stun lock her into oblivion. Incantation buffs like Golden Vow and Flame Grant Me Strength as well as equipment buffs given by White Mask helm and Lord of Blood's Exultation talisman should help as well.

There is an alternative strategy without bleed focus involving buffing consecutive damage on attacks with Rotten Winged Sword Insignia talisman, Millicent's Prosthesis, and Thorny Cracked tear.

Last edited:

Soodanim

You will likely regret going for the Bolt of Gransax as its ash of war has a longer vulnerable start up than most dragon cult incantations and does less damage. The Thundercloud Form ash of war is only second to bloodhound step in my book for this game. I am disappointed it is stuck to Dragon King's Cragblade as I would love to throw it on a spear/halberd or Rogier's Rapier.

I am also disappointed that Bloodhound's Finesse is not a heavy attack with Bloodhound's Step being the ash of war on Bloodhound's Fang. The battle with bloodhound knights implies as much.

P.S. If there is DLC, I would love to get Dark Souls 3's Farron Greatsword 2 handed moveset with Bloodhound Step.
I forgot to follow up on this before, but I've had a good time with the BoG so far. It does decent damage for me, at least the AoW does. It also works well thematically with the other red lightning I've been using.

NO PAIN TRANCE CONTINUE
Your stats should be sufficient at your current level.

Unless you have a good greatshield, you are better off two handing with the turtle shell shield giving you a stamina recovery boost. You should probably ditch post-nerf Rivers of Blood and use a blood infused katana with Seppuku ash of war if you still want to do bleed strategy. With a mimic tear+10 and a little luck you should be able to stun lock her into oblivion. Incantation buffs like Golden Vow and Flame Grant Me Strength as well as equipment buffs given by White Mask helm and Lord of Blood's Exultation talisman should help as well.

There is an alternative strategy without bleed focus involving buffing consecutive damage on attacks with Rotten Winged Sword Insignia talisman, Millicent's Prosthesis, and Thorny Cracked tear.

I'm not going for a build.
Heard she staggered semi easy hence rivers of blood

"White Mask helm and Lord of Blood's Exultation talisman should help as well."

Not in possession of.

Meh, first see what she does. Adaptation follows.

Being aggressive is good after two tries it seems.

Btw thank you! ♡♡♡

Last edited:

NO PAIN TRANCE CONTINUE
Got her 50% down couple times..even with ultra greatsword. Mimic just feeds her health so I'm going solo. Tomorrow. Not that bad.

Last edited:

NO PAIN TRANCE CONTINUE
Im in a dilemma.. Fast weapons are best. If you can't dream her moveset yet, at least. My arcane isn't high enough for bleed to be SUPER EFFECTIVE TM. So yeah?

Maybe bait here for lion's claw distance, count how many for her to get a critical on (use the talisman) and keep distance at all times.

Fucking mimic is a feeder unless you both go super agro which is dumb not knowing her moves that well yet.

I'll solo and learn first

What's the best heavy shield that I can +

Last edited:

Chittagong

Gold Member
Im in a dilemma.. Fast weapons are best. If you can't dream her moveset yet, at least. My arcane isn't high enough for bleed to be SUPER EFFECTIVE TM. So yeah?

Maybe bait here for lion's claw distance, count how many for her to get a critical on (use the talisman) and keep distance at all times.

Fucking mimic is a feeder unless you both go super agro which is dumb not knowing her moves that well yet.

I'll solo and learn first

What's the best heavy shield that I can +

I had the best possible shield but it was better to drop the shield and two hand it. The problem is that even the best shield feeds her energy.

It’s essentially a DPS fight. You need as high DPS as possible to stay ahead of her healing, so any method of increasing your damage output is helpful

- two handing
- Seppuku
- respeccing your character to maximise scaling with your weapon
- Talismans
- Mimic

Soodanim

Yeah, her healing on hitting a 100% shield is what makes the fight bullshit. All of a sudden the rules of the game no longer apply. You could go for a mega block tank build and it would be for nothing because she would be at 100% health forever.

The first time I beat her was Rivers of Blood and Mimic, and if you're connecting with the blade itself RoB hardly took a nerf at all. I just rushed her down and we both cut chunks out of her with L2s in the spammiest, gankiest way possible.

She is also vulnerable to being knocked down or lifted into the air if you use any access to attacks that do that, which is part of what makes Tiche a useful Spirit Ash (that and the ranged black flame). You probably already know this from Lion's Claw.

Whatever you do, it might be useful to do some suicide runs where you just get used to her moveset and practice dodging correctly (often into her moves).

Another thing worth doing is making Freeze Pots. You can get a large amount of the material required in the Snowfields (around the big trees in the middle). If you have a summon and she's mid-attack she won't dodge it, so you'll stop your summon being hit, she will lose health from the freeze status, and she will take more damage from other attacks. If you're feeling really brave you can stop the Waterfowl Dance with them too, but I was never any good at that.

Last edited:

NO PAIN TRANCE CONTINUE
I had the best possible shield but it was better to drop the shield and two hand it. The problem is that even the best shield feeds her energy.

It’s essentially a DPS fight. You need as high DPS as possible to stay ahead of her healing, so any method of increasing your damage output is helpful

- two handing
- Seppuku
- respeccing your character to maximise scaling with your weapon
- Talismans
- Mimic

Yeah, her healing on hitting a 100% shield is what makes the fight bullshit. All of a sudden the rules of the game no longer apply. You could go for a mega block tank build and it would be for nothing because she would be at 100% health forever.

The first time I beat her was Rivers of Blood and Mimic, and if you're connecting with the blade itself RoB hardly took a nerf at all. I just rushed her down and we both cut chunks out of her with L2s in the spammiest, gankiest way possible.

She is also vulnerable to being knocked down or lifted into the air if you use any access to attacks that do that, which is part of what makes Tiche a useful Spirit Ash (that and the ranged black flame). You probably already know this from Lion's Claw.

Whatever you do, it might be useful to do some suicide runs where you just get used to her moveset and practice dodging correctly (often into her moves).

Another thing worth doing is making Freeze Pots. You can get a large amount of the material required in the Snowfields (around the big trees in the middle). If you have a summon and she's mid-attack she won't dodge it, so you'll stop your summon being hit, she will lose health from the freeze status, and she will take more damage from other attacks. If you're feeling really brave you can stop the Waterfowl Dance with them too, but I was never any good at that.

Thank you both as well!!!!

I was already doing suicide runs but I'll drop the shield now. Trie to remember some reads and like Soo said unleash hell on her.

Will look and practice with the pots..Never used them. I'm pretty pure player (to my decrement)

The waterfall dance is the 3 x 360 spinning attack?

Last edited:

Soodanim

Thank you both as well!!!!

I was already doing suicide runs but I'll drop the shield now. Trie to remember some reads and like Soo said unleash hell on her.

Will look and practice with the pots..Never used them. I'm pretty pure player (to my decrement)

The waterfall dance is the 3 x 360 spinning attack?
Yeah, that's the one. You can dodge through it, but if you don't (running away doesn't work) she recovers a lot of health and you will likely die

NO PAIN TRANCE CONTINUE
Lots of distance timing management. Got her to 30%

Ahh I gather that efficiency requires me to dodge at least the last spin.

The yellow "incantation" happens when you're to far away. Yes,?

Last edited:
You dun goofed. You have lower Vigor, Mind, and Endurance. Meanwhile, the best Arcane scaling I can recollect on a weapon is C, which is subpar.

NO PAIN TRANCE CONTINUE
Indeed. Morning fog got to me..I was under the impression Rivers of blood scaled A with Arcane. It doesn't.

That was my goal.

I can mitigate endurance with waiting a frame longer during attacks. Anyways fuck it and let's try.

Facepalm

Btw this video is without a great rune activated. My last respec I showed was with.

Last edited:
After fact checking myself I found that a Ripple Crescent Halberd+8 has S scaling in Arcane, but fully upgraded it has only 210 base damage. If someone was to commit to an Arcane build (~60 Arcane) it would be the way to go, but that would lock them out of a lot.

Last edited:

Soodanim

You don't spec arcane for the scaling, you spec it for the bleed and the luck.

If worse comes to worst, there's always method I saw on Reddit that was ridiculous.

They went in with 2 incantations: a black flame AoE, and a huge heal. Summon the Mimic, then sit back until it's done. Ridiculous, and shouldn't work, but it does.

The black flame eats away at her health, and the Mimic never dies because its already large health pool (assuming a respec into health and faith) is supported by the heal which is AI driven.

But tbh, you can do this mate. Even if it means a bit of farming in somewhere you might not have been for some free levels (just ask, you can 100% go there).

I'll also restate a method I'm a fan of: spec into health and strength then use a Great Stars with Prayerful Strike on. It's a great hammer with bleed that heals on hitting, and the Ash heals you for an insane amount and floors her. Again, a Mimic could probably do well with that.

There's also the Moonveil route for INT builds (which will allow you to use Night spells that she won't dodge).

Rivers of Blood might still be the most brutal way to destroy her, because it gives her so little time to do anything if you get lucky and stun lock her with Mimic helping.

NO PAIN TRANCE CONTINUE
I respecced once more. Have 3 tears left now. Wanted to go the seppuku route with the uchikatana but Smith7 is so rare.

To low arcane for rivers of blood but maybe two handed possible, have to check. (GRune works but want to save for when I'm sure I have her figured out more or less) Only yesterday I saw her second form; i was in awe regarding the cutscene.

My only way is farming imps in two catacombs. Yay.

Thinking about farming through the white mask method. Have to invade twice more.

NO PAIN TRANCE CONTINUE
You don't spec arcane for the scaling, you spec it for the bleed and the luck.

If worse comes to worst, there's always method I saw on Reddit that was ridiculous.

They went in with 2 incantations: a black flame AoE, and a huge heal. Summon the Mimic, then sit back until it's done. Ridiculous, and shouldn't work, but it does.

The black flame eats away at her health, and the Mimic never dies because its already large health pool (assuming a respec into health and faith) is supported by the heal which is AI driven.

But tbh, you can do this mate. Even if it means a bit of farming in somewhere you might not have been for some free levels (just ask, you can 100% go there).

I'll also restate a method I'm a fan of: spec into health and strength then use a Great Stars with Prayerful Strike on. It's a great hammer with bleed that heals on hitting, and the Ash heals you for an insane amount and floors her. Again, a Mimic could probably do well with that.

There's also the Moonveil route for INT builds (which will allow you to use Night spells that she won't dodge).

Rivers of Blood might still be the most brutal way to destroy her, because it gives her so little time to do anything if you get lucky and stun lock her with Mimic helping.

This game...

NO PAIN TRANCE CONTINUE
First phase is a rundown or a shit show.

Second phase is nonstop attacking? Jeez.

Last edited:

NO PAIN TRANCE CONTINUE
I think I killed white mask varré. No other way to get to that farming place huh?

Hell yeah

Last edited:

Rex_DX

Gold Member
I've been working overtime (like 80+ hours a week) since late March. Was all in on this game until then. All I want to do is keep going on Elden Ring but after a 16-hour shift I'm mostly up for having a drink and sleeping instead. Still can't wait to come back to it and my schedule should ease up in September.

Just wanted to thank all the crazy people here who I'm living vicariously through by their posts. 22:22:22 22:22:22 Soodanim Soodanim DelireMan7 DelireMan7 and Chittagong Chittagong come to mind but thanks to everyone who is still talking about this game.

I followed the people over to RE (got banned because of course I did) but the best thing about that place was the FROM Community Thread they had which was constantly active with avid Souls fans. This feels like an extension of that but with better people.

Cheers you lot. o7

Last edited:

NO PAIN TRANCE CONTINUE
22:22:22 22:22:22 Says you're welcome.

I still only got to Melania's (?) second phase twice twice so 2 times 2 This is a game to cherish, indulge, ignore when walls appear. And thank fuck we have some members here with mad knowledge. Love posting my experiences and getting an encyclopedia like answer. Love it.

Last edited:

Soodanim

I started another new character who uses poison weapons. Started off by going to Caelid for the Serpent Bow, then used that (with Serpent Arrows when I got money) until I killed my second target for the Volcano Manor and got the Serpentbone Blade. It's a fun katana that has Double Slash as its skill and its R2 is also a double slash that seems to do decent poise damage if you connect with the charged attack.

I just watched a clip of someone using Quick Step since the buff, and now I want to make a Quick Step Claw character (light equip load for buffed QS). I could use Venomous Fang (poison again, but I read that if you poison infuse it you can do deadly poison (double damage per tick) but for normal poison length (usually 1/3). Or I could go straight to Leyndell, run through the cave, and get Raptor's Talons and Raptor's Feathers to go with it for even more jump damage. Based on this quote from the ER Wiki, it could be a very interesting damage dealer: "You can powerstance two different claws. That means a cold hookclaws in the left hand (bleed, frost) and a venomous fang buffed with rot grease in the right (poison, rot) lets you build up 4 status effects with a single attack if you want to make a "flashbang" build that makes people panic." Means mostly ignoring rock and other enemies with high hardness ratings, but could be fun.

Still annoyed by the limit of 10 saves. If a mod can incorporate 100 save slots in DS1, they should be able to officially do it in ER.

I respecced once more. Have 3 tears left now. Wanted to go the seppuku route with the uchikatana but Smith7 is so rare.

To low arcane for rivers of blood but maybe two handed possible, have to check. (GRune works but want to save for when I'm sure I have her figured out more or less) Only yesterday I saw her second form; i was in awe regarding the cutscene.

My only way is farming imps in two catacombs. Yay.

Thinking about farming through the white mask method. Have to invade twice more.
You can supplement your arcane with Silver Tear Mask (Mimic Tear boss in Nokron), Mask of Confidence (Carian Study post Ranni Quest), Imp Head [Elder] (Consecrated Snowfield Catacombs), or Albinauric Mask (Volcano Manor).

Farming Haligtree Soldiers with Gold Scarab talisman used to net me at least 2 Smithing Stone [7] every run from the Prayer Room.

There is a large hand that spawns by the cell of the Dung Eater in the Subterranean Shunning Grounds that drops Somber Smithing Stone [7]. I recollect a few large hands in the Mountaintop of the Giants that also drop the Somber Smithing Stone [7].

Last edited:

NO PAIN TRANCE CONTINUE
Farming Haligtree Soldiers with Gold Scarab talisman used to net me at least 2 Smithing Stone [7] every run from the Prayer Room.

There is a large hand that spawns by the cell of the Dung Eater in the Subterranean Shunning Grounds that drops Somber Smithing Stone [7]. I recollect a few large hands in the Mountaintop of the Giants that also drop the Somber Smithing Stone [7].

Yes you are correct

Thanks for the reminder

Soodanim

22:22:22 22:22:22 have you been to Farum Azula? If not, then you're in a later area than you could be, and by the time you're done with FA I guarantee you won't need to farm stones anymore

R6Rider

Gold Member
Started two new playthroughs with builds I haven't done yet.

One is a a melee and incantation build with use of a shield for parrying. Right now I'm using the morningstar and the small gold shield. Hadn't used many incantations beyond messing around at launch. Started with Prophet and so far only have the incantations you can buy from the guy at the Roundtable Hold.

Second one is a dual/powerstanced great hammer build. Not very far at all yet, so I actually only have the Brick Hammer so far and using the Lordsworn Greatsword as well.

After I beat the game with these or get bored, I'll probably go for a dual whip or dual twinblade build.

Rex_DX

Gold Member
Started two new playthroughs with builds I haven't done yet.

One is a a melee and incantation build with use of a shield for parrying. Right now I'm using the morningstar and the small gold shield. Hadn't used many incantations beyond messing around at launch. Started with Prophet and so far only have the incantations you can buy from the guy at the Roundtable Hold.

Second one is a dual/powerstanced great hammer build. Not very far at all yet, so I actually only have the Brick Hammer so far and using the Lordsworn Greatsword as well.

After I beat the game with these or get bored, I'll probably go for a dual whip or dual twinblade build.
Good to hear from you again man its been awhile.

The first build you mention is basically my build right now, but I swap parrying for Barricade Shield (even though they nerfed it) every so often depending on my opponents. If you combine talismans to complement thrusting weapons/guard counter damage and use Barricade plus some incantation buffs you can do ridiculous damage if you run something like the Tree Spear which has good FTH scaling and will complement the incants. I love to parry in Souls games but with the above setup I'm slowly moving away from it because the guard counter/thrust/FTH build is so strong. However when you go back to parry you can use a similar setup and I still enjoy it, its just that a parry build in Elden Ring is so risky I'm becoming used to easier options.

Its been working well for me so far.

NO PAIN TRANCE CONTINUE
First thing I did was climbing it. Nothing happend so I jumped and died and put it aside

*mic drop

I'll take a second look then

Last edited:

NO PAIN TRANCE CONTINUE
Now you'e are here Soo ,

Dung eater puppet.

Where is it ? I got the one ending item and his costume. Already bought all puppets.... reloaded.

Last edited:

DelireMan7

I've been working overtime (like 80+ hours a week) since late March. Was all in on this game until then. All I want to do is keep going on Elden Ring but after a 16-hour shift I'm mostly up for having a drink and sleeping instead. Still can't wait to come back to it and my schedule should ease up in September.

Just wanted to thank all the crazy people here who I'm living vicariously through by their posts. 22:22:22 22:22:22 Soodanim Soodanim DelireMan7 DelireMan7 and Chittagong Chittagong come to mind but thanks to everyone who is still talking about this game.

I followed the people over to RE (got banned because of course I did) but the best thing about that place was the FROM Community Thread they had which was constantly active with avid Souls fans. This feels like an extension of that but with better people.

Cheers you lot. o7

I love the Souls community (except the Git Gud part). Myazaki really succeed to create a big community speaking constantly about their games thanks to their cryptic nature and unique atmosphere.

Hope you can come back to the game quickly.

I have done Castle Sol and just arrived in the consecrated Snowfield. I will only do the 3 big optional bosses (Malenia, Placidusax and Mogh) before going for the ending. I'll go for the classic one with the Fia's variation.

Top Bottom