• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Elden Ring - So what class did you go with?

Which did you decide on?

• Total voters

R6Rider

Gold Member
Now that the game is out and many have started their adventure, what class did you choose?

I went with Wretch. I'm only 4 hours in and leveled up twice no regrets, but did switch out the club as soon as I got a spear.

ANDS

King of Gaslighting
WRETCH. Discovering EVERYTHING has been a bit more rewarding than "Hear have this gear and go forth." I want to make a Mage Knight but will have to find a staff first (finally found some Sorceries). Also had to kill a lot of dudes to get my armor. Yes this is all meaningless dozens of hours in, but at the outset it feels so much more like you've accomplished something.

confessor. no idea what i'm doing. i did boomstick's "get OP early" 18 steps to beef my guy up a bit (i know. i'm a cheater loser!). but still the fighting mechanics are so awkward. this coming from a guy that only beat three demon boss things in demon's souls. hoping i can get in on this one. everything feels so clunky to me, but i guess that's what these rhythm type fighting mechanic souls games are all about.

Last edited:

Ogbert

confessor. no idea what i'm doing. i did boomstick's "get OP early" 18 steps to beef my guy up a bit (i know. i'm a cheater loser!). but still the fighting mechanics are so awkward. this coming from a guy that only beat three demon boss things in demon's souls. hoping i can get in on this one. everything feels so clunky to me, but i guess that's what these rhythm type fighting mechanic souls games are all about.
Take your time. Level up. Don't be afraid to farm areas for a couple of hours and invest in vigor/strength/faith.

Landero

Neo Member
Is confessor the "best of both worlds" class? I want to use spells and weapons equally. I really want to use the summoning spells I have seen, the wolves and such...

Antwix

Haven't started yet but I am probably going with samurai. I like dex builds and used the uchi alot thru my playtime in dark souls. That unsheath ability with the uchi looks nice. I like having the bow too. It's between prisoner and samurai, but probably samurai for the first playthrough.

Last edited:

Ogbert

Is confessor the "best of both worlds" class? I want to use spells and weapons equally. I really want to use the summoning spells I have seen, the wolves and such...
Perhaps. Not sure yet. I think the bandit is good for magic/dex builds.

You get a good strength and faith stat, so as long as you invest in both, you should be able to use whatever weapons / spells you want. The thing with DS games is there's always the temptation to dump everything into one stat, so even if you have an idea of a build in mind, it often falls away. Especially on the first run.

22:22:22

NO PAIN TRANCE CONTINUE
Prophet

What can I say? I'm a fashion connoisseur..

1Gvu2qw.jpg

Last edited:

Joho79

Confessor. I’m 10 hours in and quite regretting my choice. But to much time invested. I always end up with big two-hander so I feel my faith will be wasted.

Take your time. Level up. Don't be afraid to farm areas for a couple of hours and invest in vigor/strength/faith.
Thanks man! Appreciate the tips. Question: why Faith? I'd like to use magic at some point so should I do Intelligence? Or is it because to use magic, I lose sword and shield since you need a staff?

ParaSeoul

Looks like everyone is going Confessor so they can try out most of everything. Will probably do the same and go with someone more specialized when I know the game better in a second run. Or just go wretch first time fuck it.

Ogbert

Thanks man! Appreciate the tips. Question: why Faith? I'd like to use magic at some point so should I do Intelligence? Or is it because to use magic, I lose sword and shield since you need a staff?
No worries.

Faith is the stat for Confessors, so you'll be able to take advantage of their spells. I think intelligence is for sorcerers / bandits.

I'm going confessor too - from what I've read, it's important to try and keep investing in faith at the beginning of the game otherwise you can just end up focussing on strength and you're a bog standard melee character again. Not that this is a bad thing, but if you want to take advantage of later level faith spells, you'll need the corresponding stats.

Don't worry about it though. The joy of DS games is simply taking your time, levelling up, failing over and over again and working out how to beat something.

Also, biggest secret with the game: if you're struggling with a boss, turn the music off. It's the main way the game ratchets up the tension.

No worries.

Faith is the stat for Confessors, so you'll be able to take advantage of their spells. I think intelligence is for sorcerers / bandits.

I'm going confessor too - from what I've read, it's important to try and keep investing in faith at the beginning of the game otherwise you can just end up focussing on strength and you're a bog standard melee character again. Not that this is a bad thing, but if you want to take advantage of later level faith spells, you'll need the corresponding stats.

Don't worry about it though. The joy of DS games is simply taking your time, levelling up, failing over and over again and working out how to beat something.

Also, biggest secret with the game: if you're struggling with a boss, turn the music off. It's the main way the game ratchets up the tension.
Appreciate the info!

R6Rider

Gold Member
Looks like everyone is going Confessor so they can try out most of everything. Will probably do the same and go with someone more specialized when I know the game better in a second run. Or just go wretch first time fuck it.
Wretch also lets you try everything with a greater focus on discovery since you basically have nothing.

Pejo

Gold Member
I rolled Confessor because I liked the starting armor, but eh....It sucks not really having a ranged option in the beginning of the game. I might reroll Astrologist or Samurai before I get too invested. I kinda want another shot at that tutorial boss anyways.

R6Rider

Gold Member
I rolled Confessor because I liked the starting armor, but eh....It sucks not really having a ranged option in the beginning of the game. I might reroll Astrologist or Samurai before I get too invested. I kinda want another shot at that tutorial boss anyways.
You can get a bow very early from merchants and Confessor has decent enough stats to use the bows (at least early one).

CGiRanger

Banned
All I know is I spent way too much damn time in the character creator to end up completely covered in Armor so it was all pretty much pointless :pie_grinning_sweat:

...yes I forgot the exact same thing happened in Bloodborne too...

Last edited:

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
Went with Samurai, it's been a lot of fun so far. Pumping up a bunch of points into Dexterity and Vitality. Put in a few hours so far but having a ball with it. The unsheathe ability is crazy good.

Malachai

Started off as Vagabond for the quality build but didn't like the fat roll so changed to Hero. Still not convinced it's the way to go so might try a Samurai or Warrior.

bitbydeath

Gold Member
Astrologer, wanted to try range and that first (technically second) boss died like a chump in three/four hits.

I can’t recall facing a boss before and not taking at least some damage.

Majukun

Went with prisoner because it has both high dex and int.
Only played for a bit, I don't particularly like the weapon it starts with, but being able to use range magic missiles from the start is interesting.

wOs

Samurai. The stat focus lined up beat. Though I usually like waste of skin or whatever too.

Started off as Vagabond for the quality build but didn't like the fat roll so changed to Hero. Still not convinced it's the way to go so might try a Samurai or Warrior.
Same, then I found a twin blade weapon and can't use it yet. I pumped up my levels in endurance and strength and my dex is still low. I may restart with a samurai. I always play quality builds and a big two handed sword. Maybe try something new.

Top Bottom