• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Elder Scrolls VI should take place in Alinor and take influence from JC's Avatar

I have been thinking about this since Skyrim was released. Where should the next game take place ? In an unseen province ? On an other continent ? In Skyrim, again ? (what's up, Pach). Here's what I would personally like to see.

TamrielWorldMap.jpg

Between the events of Oblivion and Skyrim, it has been revealed that the Empire has erupted in a civil war with the newly-reformed Aldmeri Dominion, which consists of the Aldmer from Summerset Isles and the Bosmer from Valenwood. The two provinces have merged into one state, which took its name from the capital of Summerset: Alinor. This new elven empire allied itself with the Khajiit and waged war on the empire. Lives on both sides were lost and eventually a treaty was signed, which outlawed the cult of Talos and gave rise to the events in Skyrim.

The reason I'm bringing this up is because at the end of Skyrim, the Thalmor (whom are essentially the Puritans or the Nazis of the Aldmer) have not been dealt with. They were introduced as a secondary threat, but there was no resolution to the conflict with them. I suspect that this is foreshadowing the events of the next title in the franchise. I believe that TES VI's story will deal with the Thalmor and will conclude with a decision on their fate.

Seeing as this is a realistic possibility, I thought that the best place in which the game should be set would be the centre of the Thalmor's empire: the new country of Alinor. Neither Summerset nor Valenwood have had their own game; having it set in Alinor would change both of those things.

Now, why do I want the game to take its influence from James Cameron's Avatar ? Read on.

Starting with Morrowind, each elder scrolls game has had a different environment and atmosphere from its predecessors. Morrowind had a very alien feel to it, which I'm not sure was influenced by anything in particular (that I know of), Oblivion was your standard and generic Lord of the Ring-y fantasy setting, and Skyrim took its grey and bleak atmosphere from scandinavian folklore, and, more precisely, Valhalla Rising and Game of Thrones.

This is where Avatar comes into play. Say what you will about the quality of the movie, but its depiction of the planet's flora and fauna was breathtaking. Everything was bright and colorful and alien and phantasmagoric. Giant trees, glowing plants and floating mountains. I want to see this in an Elder Scrolls game.

Here's what UESP.net says of Summerset's geography:

Little of the geography of the Summerset Isles is known. Cloudrest, atop Eton Nir, the highest mountain in Summerset, is an odd mixture of architectural styles, with buildings like strangler vines, built on top of older structures. The oldest, and most isolated, of all ruins there are made of coral, which must have been carried many, many, miles away from the sea.[3] This highly suggests original occupation by the Sload.

The Isle of Artaeum has idyllic orchards and clear pastures, still and silent lagoons, misty woodlands, and the unique Psijic architecture that seems to be as natural as its surroundings. The Ceporah Tower is a relic from a civilization that predates the High Elves by several hundred years. It is the location of the Dreaming Cavern, which Sotha Sil once used as some sort of portal into the realms of Oblivion, but which has since been sealed off by the Psijics. The Isle of Artaeum was once removed from the world in a similar fashion to Umbriel, but reappeared about 500 years later. The Isle of Artaeum once again disappeared around 100 years before the civil war in Skyrim, and has not been seen since.

Now here's what it has to say on Valenwood:

Valenwood is a densely forested, sub-tropical province of the Cyrodilic empire that makes up the southwest coastal plain of Tamriel. Valenwood borders Elsweyr to the east and Cyrodiil to the north, partially divided from the latter by the Strid River, and is just across the sea from Summerset Isle. Its landscape consists of rolling hills and light blue rivers, predominantly covered in rainforest and woodland.
The best way to describe Valenwood is in A Pocket Guide to the Empire, which describes it as "A sea of endless green, a maze of foliage with half-hidden cities growing like blooms from a flower, the home of the Bosmer is Tamriel's garden."[1] Along the province's northern border with Cyrodiil are highland plateaus with hundreds-foot tall trees, overlooking the swamp lowlands leading southwest to Falinesti.[2] One unusual feature of Valenwood is its gigantic, migratory trees that can contain entire cities. Falinesti in particular is a mile-high tree holding an entire city in its branches that was described in A Dance in Fire. Falinesti used to migrate south in the winter, but it has recently stopped walking for unknown reasons.

I don't know about you guys, but everything in there sounds like a place I'd like to visit in a video game such as Elder Scrolls. Since everything known about the two places were never depicted on screen, Bethesda has free reign in how they want to portay all of this. And I'd like to see something phantasmagoric and dreamy such as what we saw in Avatar. I believe that next-gen consoles would be more than capable of handling all of that verticality without any hitching or loading hampering the experience. I want this.

Maybe some of you know movies or books that could lend themselves to inspiring the next game, and I welcome the discussion.

Very interesting speculation, OP, and I hope that is where we're going next in TES game.

I remember before Oblivion came out, there was speculation that the game would take place in the Summerset Isles based on previous dev comments. Of course that never came to pass and I was a little disappointed that Oblivion eventually took place in a generic LOTR type locale.

TES Online will probably dictate what Summerset Isles and Valenwood should look like though.

RedSwirl

Man, for people like me whose first game in the series is Skyrim, I have A LOT of reading to do on the Elder Scrolls Wiki when I finish the game, because I don't know shit.

I've always wanted to visit Summerset Isles. I like your theory and it would be great to have both Summerset Isles and Valenwood to explore. And all that water in between... imagine if we could sail boats... O.O

I wonder if we'll get to explore Summerset Isles in Elder Scrolls Online.

FlyFaster

I don't really like your idea OP.

also, the next Elder scroll game will likely be set in an area that has humans as it's main character. Lizardmen, cat people, ect... will turn off the mainstream. There was a great article about this awhile back, I'll see if I can find it. Humans need to be highly visible within the game world. It's part of what made Skyrim catch on the mainstream. Nords are tall strong humans. People can get behind that.

You put a Kajit or Argonian on the cover of the next TES game and sales will fall.

Hammerfell or High Rock are my guesses as to the next location. Although I don't think they will use either of those names for the game. It will be something like Oblivion again, not naming the game after the setting it takes place in, but after a mechanic or something they are introducing in the game.

120v

i always assumed ESVI would be Alinor ... but then again, almost everybody thought ESV would be Alinor too (look up all the mock up elder scrolls V: alinor fan trailers on youtube, lol).

and i think it should be Alinor. for one it'd probably be the most technologically advanced ES setting. and it'd probably be the most "mystical" and otherwordly setting since morrowind. everywhere else like the black marsh, hammerfell, ect doesn't really excite me (that isn't to say bethesda couldn't do something amazing to it) unless they combine two or three of the regions

either way, my money is going on Elder Scrolls VI: Alinor ... i'd be quite surprised if it was something else.

King Boo

i remember someone saying cyrodiil was suppose to have jungle like features. i wouldn't mind returning back to the imperial homeland to see it like that. with access to the black marsh of course and the other elf land.

the biggest thing i would like to see is how do you top skyrims success one of the best games from the current generations and i expect the elder scrolls VI to be on the next game generation and with the the xbox one and PS4 is packing it could be the best game for the next generations and could we possibly see a skyrims game that minus the MMO could cover everything area in Tamriel just a thought

QP3

Man, for people like me whose first game in the series is Skyrim, I have A LOT of reading to do on the Elder Scrolls Wiki when I finish the game, because I don't know shit.
I have played Morrowind, Oblivion, and Skyrim and I know shit.

JackHerer

I just hope the keep Dragons in the game somehow. One of the cooler things about Skyrim (I haven't finished the game yet so I dunno if they are wiped out or not).

The games are named alphabetically like

Arena
Daggerfall
Morrowind
Oblivion
Skyrim

Taking this into account I think the next one may be called Tamriel

bhlaab

Elswyr or Black Mash would be the most interesting, so those are straight out. I'd say Valenwood or Summerset Isles are the best bet.

High Rock or Hammerfell are less likely because they've already done them in Daggerfall. Not that the new elder scrolls games have much in common with ESII at all, but it looks bad to go back and redo a landmass you already did, but smaller and different enough to make hardcore fans bitch.

Creaking

He touched the black heart of a mod
I've always wanted to visit Summerset Isles. I like your theory and it would be great to have both Summerset Isles and Valenwood to explore. And all that water in between... imagine if we could sail boats... O.O

I wonder if we'll get to explore Summerset Isles in Elder Scrolls Online.

You'll get to explore everywhere in Elder Scrolls Online, but it won't look right.

That would be pretty cool, yeah. I would personally like to see Bethesda try something with a strong Egyptian and Chinese/Japanese influence. (Not necessarily both at the same time, of course.) How would that fit into the lore? I have no idea, but I think it would be fun to see what kinds of environments, weapons, and armors we would get in a game that draws strongly from those cultures.

That would be pretty cool, yeah. I would personally like to see Bethesda try something with a strong Egyptian and Chinese/Japanese influence. (Not necessarily both at the same time, of course.) How would that fit into the lore? I have no idea, but I think it would be fun to see what kinds of environments, weapons, and armors we would get in a game that draws strongly from those cultures.

One of the other continents seems to be based on feudal japan. I think it's Akavir, but I'm not sure.

Came in here thinking you were talking about Saoirse Ronan

from JaseC's avatar?

What are you two talking about ?

120v

like somebody said akavir fits into that... but i don't expect to see it any time soon seeing as to how the focus is tamriel, and they'll probably wait until all those locales are used up (and even then there'll probably be one massive game connecting all of tamriel

i expect akavir to be in the MMO DLC or something

I think Morrowind would be fun including the mainland. If you look the main Morrowind land is 2 times the size of Vvanderfell. This would add plenty of new lands to discover on top of old familiar places. Plus visiting Vvanderfell after the eruption of Red Mountain would be fun. Chance of this happening are practically 0 though.. My next preference would be Summerset Isles. My understanding its like Morrowind but tropical.

Skyrim- Too soon
Cryodiil- Too soon plus I thought the landscape was too bland and boring.
Morrowind- All of Morrowind makes sense.
Hammerfell- Personally I don't care much for the desert setting in games and I live in a desert.
High Rock- Too much like Skyrim.
Hmmerfell & Highrock- Now this makes sence beacuse you would get a variety of terrains like desert oasis + mountains + forests, etc.
Summerset Isles- Morrowind but tropical. Count me in.
Black Marsh- Not sure I would enjoy the swampy, marshy setting. Plus as stated I don't know about the marketability of a beast race based game.
Valenwood- Don't know much about it but the land looks small. Maybe combine with Summerset Isles or Elsweyr.
Elsweys- Don't know much but agin see beast race marketability.

tkscz

We still have yet to get a full Hammerfell or Morrwind. I'd actually like to travel the rest of Morrwind and not just Vardenfell. But if I had to choose a completely new section, I'd say summer set isle. No excuse to not let us travel the entire thing, it's an island.

Lyonaz

Put me down for Elsweyr. Next gen sand, fur and whisker physics for Khajits.

Who am I kidding it's Bethesda, it will have shitty looking characters. They need to hire some new character designers and modelers.

Luthos

Put me down for Elsweyr. Next gen sand, fur and whisker physics for Khajits.

Who am I kidding it's Bethesda, it will have shitty looking characters. They need to hire some new character designers and modelers.

They need a completely new game engine. Stop building on the one they already have and just start from scrap.

I imagine a next-gen Elder Scrolls in Elsweyr and it could be awesome. Like you said, next-gen look, realistic flowing cloaks in a sandstorm... Not to mention the jungles. But I just don't know if I have faith in Bethesda to pull it off.

Also, like others have said, I don't think they want the main race of the new game to be a beast race. Probably Valenwood or Summerset Isles for the elves.

Reyne

After a couple of hundreds of hours in the grim and cold Skyrim I do think something more lush and warm would be welcome. As much as I'd like Tamriel in its entirety, I think its better that they focus on one specific province at a time as they currently do, as to make it as detailed and lifelike as they could.
So yeah, Summerset Isle do seem as an ideal choice for VI, as it has been set up plot wise and it would also function to contrast Skyrim.

Fjordson

Oh man, my brain replaced the word "should" in your thread title with "to". Got really hyped for new TES info for a second there :lol even though we're like years early on that.

Anyways, really like a lot of what you're suggesting. I agree about that sort of lush, lively environment. Would be a nice change of pace after the cold and bleak world of Skyrim.

Rashid

Banned
Are you telling me all the elder scrolls games are linked? I always thought that each game had it's own story set in a new world.

Fjordson

Are you telling me all the elder scrolls games are linked? I always thought that each game had it's own story set in a new world.
Certain aspects of the lore in the games are linked and all of the TES games thus far take place on the same continent of Tamriel, with each setting (Skyrim, Morrowind, etc.) being a province within Tamriel.

Reyne

You don't care much for the lore of the games, I take it? Though really, if you have played Oblivion and Skyrim at least for a couple of hours, you quickly realize they are set in the same world, different provinces.

Showaddy

Assuming that they treat the Stormcloaks losing as canon then Valenwood & Elsweyr combined could be a good bet with The Empire vs Aldmeri Dominion storyline.

Or they could just skip ahead another hundred odd years and do something totally different I suppose.

Rad-

I'm bored of Tamriel and its races already. How about switching continents, for example Akavir. It has no humans as they were all eaten and no elf because they are pussies and the place is too badass for them. It has four races: snow demons, serpent-men (these motherfuckers apparently ate all humans from the continent), monkey-people (kindest race of this continent but many are also insane), tiger-dragons (cat-like people whose aim is to become dragons).

Caayn

I'd really like it if they created The Elder Scrolls VI were you could roam freely across the whole continent of Tamriel. Including the shivering isles and other DLC worlds from previous versions.

Top Bottom