• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Elex |OT| Gothic 5: Risen From Jank

Karak

Oh you didnt need to post it; I believed you. But thank you.
No probs man. I deleted the link.

Also just a shout out again to the worlds cities. Christ they are epic, and while not just flooded with folks they have more than most games and all fit in the narrative. each one was fantastic to run around in

Lucifon

Screw it, just found it's slightly cheaper on the HK Xbox store - 387$ and I already had 90$ on my account. Bought another 300 for £34 so it feels like a deal and I can give it a whirl tonight.

Lucifon

Screw it, just found it's slightly cheaper on the HK Xbox store - 387$ and I already had 90$ on my account. Bought another 300 for £34 so it feels like a deal and I can give it a whirl tonight.
Or not :( doesn't seem to want to start even though it's past midnight in HK. Have they forces region unlock times now?

I'm eager to see how this game is.

I have a coworker who swears this will be his GOTY - I just don't see it, this year or any other if I'm honest.

So far it sounds like it carries the proud tradition of PB&Jank

Xater

I really hope I will be able to look past the jack, but these reviews leave me doubting. Too late now though, because I already bought the game. I just got too coughs up in wanting to play this kind of RPG.

Brandon F

Well congratulations! You got yourself caught!
Loved Risen 1, but everything since has been eh.....

Hoping to hear this pans out well and I’ll jump in.

78% from 4players.de for PC, 74% and 72% for Playstation and One cause of technical issues (slowdowns).

Congrats @Piranha Bytes. Thanks for my Gothic game.

Bl@de

The first reviews are exactly what I've expected:

- 8/10 etc. from Germany and Poland
- 6/10 from the US and everywhere else

You kurwas don't appreciate the masters of jank. Pff... typical americans. No culture.

Keinning

So is the xbox version worse than the PS4 one or less reviews for the console are making the number harsher?

I can take jank, to a limit

Lorcain

You kurwas don't appreciate the masters of jank. Pff... typical americans. No culture.
I remember trying to learn and get comfortable with the UI for Gothic 2 thinking this game is going to be rough, but then the story kicked in, and then the factions, and it was just an amazing experience, jank and all.

KHlover

Banned

Have you listened to the US dub of their games? If I were subjected to that I'd substract two points from my score as well :p

Vuze

Hey Karak, is it the Xbox One version or PC in your review? I'm watching it now.
Atleast some of it is PC since I've seen the hotkey item bar pop up once or twice (the game switches dynamically between KBM and controller which is fantastic. Can map quicksave/map/quest hotkeys to Elite controller paddles 👌). I don't think that's available on console

PnCIa

Great OT!

I am suprised that the game is apparently...good if you can look past the jank. That has not been the case since Risen 1.

Some of my favourite games are janky though, see Stalker.

Bod

Neo Member
Thinking of jumping in on this. Not enjoyed any of their games since Risen and this sounds like its more in the vain of Gothic/Risen plus its only £25 at CDKEYS

The game is 53.99 in the Xbox Store.

I have 2.25 dollar on my account and I can get a 50 dollar gift card for about 39 euros. So I only need 1.74 and fuck man.... they just don't sell those gift cards or at least 5 dollar ones.

It's time like these that I wish I could still buy gift cards on the MS site. I was able to choose from 1 dollar to like 100 or more, loved that. Why ruin a good thing MS?

Nydus

Gold Member
Loved gothic 1 to death :) used it to test the overclock of my Pentium :-D never bought a pb game again after 2 but got curious and bought this one. Hope i wont get disappointed ^^

there is no inventory limit and you can loot tons of stuff in the world, as usual.
however there will be consequences for stealing, which has always been the case as well. Elex has a very sophisticated crime system, if you refuse to pay fines for stealing you cannot trade with a faction anymore and if you continue to commit crimes the faction will turn hostile.
Ah, thinking about I suppose you're right. To be honest, the "PB game" I've spent the most time with was Arcania, which of course isn't a PB game it just uses their framework. Still, playing I really enjoyed being able to pick up everything I came across with wanton abandon. Guess I should go back to Risen 2 and give it another go - what kind of eurojank connoisseur would let a silly little thing like a complete progression stopping bug on the main questline stop them!

Sentenza

Ah, thinking about I suppose you're right. To be honest, the "PB game" I've spent the most time with was Arcania, which of course isn't a PB game it just uses their framework.

I know people who would ask to burn you at a stake for this.
Most PB fans think the game was one big tragic betrayal of anything the Gothic saga used to stand for.

Moff

Some people really do not like this game
PSU: 3/10
Upgrading Jax is just as painful as combat. When you level up you can distribute points across various attributes like strength, dexterity, and intelligence. This is all fine and well until you get to the meat of upgrades, your abilities. If you want to learn any sort of abilities you first have to earn the favor of the leader of whatever town you’re in. You do this by doing a bunch of side quests for the citizens. This already is a hassle because a lot of these quests mean you have to venture to the opposite side of the map where everything is doubly powerful.

That's just the first problem, the second problem comes in finding Trainers. These Trainers are the only ones that can teach you specific abilities. The problem is the restrictions placed on these abilities. First, you have to win approval, then you have to have enough points placed into specific categories. In order to learn how to use magic with the Berserkers you need triple the points in specific categories just to be able to learn to use magic. When you level up you get about ten points to spend on your attributes and most skills require you to have around forty to fifty points in multiple attributes to learn skills. It took almost twenty hours just to learn my first skill. The hurdles placed in the game are just insane.

Speely

Banned
I have never played a PB game, and I love the premise of all of them. Jank does not deter me. Morrowind is in my top 3, for example. I am a bad supporter.

The lack of a character creation system dissuades me from this. I know that sounds superficial, but customization is a big deal for me.

Is the system governing your bald white dude's abilities and progression extensive? If that is robust it could make me jump in. That's the kind of customization I care about most anyway.
I also like being pretty, if I am being honest. Sue me.

Sentenza

I was going to dismiss it with some sort of "Never cared for console reviews of PB games, since they are all focused on the technical mess their ports tend to be".

This is different, though. What the guy is criticizing is the progression system, which is one of the very few things I think their games do BETTER than almost everyone else.

Moff

I was going to dismiss it with some sort of "Never cared for console reviews of PB games, since they are all focused on the technical mess their ports tend to be".

This is different, though. What the guy is criticizing is the progression system, which is one of the very few things I think their games do BETTER than almost everyone else.

I am fully aware of that, which is why I picked this quote ;)
Needless to say, this game has issues, so far everything seems to be in the usual spectrum of PB games, I hope the day 1 patch fixes some of the technical and AI issues, but the biggest problem, the combat, seems hard to fix. I am really curious about it now.

I know people who would ask to burn you at a stake for this.
Most PB fans think the game was one big tragic betrayal of anything the Gothic saga used to stand for.
Oh, yeah, it was not a good game, but it cost $1 and gave me something mindless to occupy myself with while I was sick. And at least it trained me in the art of making umpteen save files and keeping a watchful eye for quests and important NPCs' dialog not updating properly.

Sounds to me as if he might be criticizing the exact thing you like about PB games. The trainer system has been there in every of their games. You have work for new skills and earn them instead of learning them automatically. At the beginning of the game you will be weak compared to most enemies. The satisfaction comes from the feeling of really getting stronger once you acquire new skills and equipment. Also, actions can have consequences. The faction you join will obviously have an impact on which skills you can learn.

But that quote sounds awesome...? Like old school Gothic 1 + 2 style!

My thoughts exactly.

I don't know how well balanced the stats are, maybe it's an issue here, but generally, I always loved the way PB games handled the character upgrade system. Compared to the streamlined "Allocate a bunch of points in a menu whenever you want." PB's system manages to really draw you into the world and bond with the characters. Especially with the flavor dialogue. When you learned to sneak in Gothic, the character who taught you explained how to position your feet and properly balance your weight while you move around so as to not be heard, same for when you upgraded your sword and bow skills, "Okay, so you hold yor sword like *this*, etc...". I mean, in the end all you did was press A to sneak, but it's the details that count.

Q: Can I create my own character?
A: No, you can only play as a white, bald male.

whywhywhywhywhy are they so obsessed with white buff men.

*sigh*

Looks like my kind of jank though, my finger is slowly moving towards the buy button.

Moff

I don't know how well balanced the stats are, maybe it's an issue here, but generally, I always loved the way PB games handled the character upgrade system. Compared to the streamlined "Allocate a bunch of points in a menu whenever you want." PB's system manages to really draw you into the world and bond with the characters. Especially with the flavor dialogue. When you learned to sneak in Gothic, the character who taught you explained how to position your feet and properly balance your weight while you move around so as to not be heard, same for when you upgraded your sword and bow skills, "Okay, so you hold yor sword like *this*, etc...". I mean, in the end all you did was press A to sneak, but it's the details that count.

sadly, that dialogue when learning skills is gone. I know that's just a detail but that's actually what bothers me the most from all the criticisms I read so far.

Buckle

I really hope this one brings back/recycles the perk from the Risen series that allowed you to win some conversations by having the protagonist whip his gun out and just shoot them point blank in the face.

"Yo must face me in ancient ritual combat! It is.."

"Nope."

*BLAM*

Moff

Day 1 patch notes are here
Crafting

You can now upgrade shields
Bugfixes for socketing weapons

AI

Improved awareness when sneaking
Improved navigation for NPCs and monsters
Better party behavior from NPCs

UI

Missing icons added
Connection bugfixes
Bugfixes for the world map
Bugfixes for the skills display

Gameplay

Bugfixes for item interactions
Sleep will now also replenish energy
Lock picks will break more often
Reduced fall damage with the jet pack
Appropriate behavior when you receive damage on a ladder
Additional slots for autosaves
Monster traps no longer have a focus

Cutscenes

Slight optimization of cutscenes

Story

Caja accompanies the player to all locations
Both PSI amplifiers are now distributed
Minor quest and display fixes

NPCs

Aesthetic improvements to some armor
Improved control of dialogue gestures
Improved facial animations for women
Improved transitions for motion sequences

Combat

Shields can now block ranged weapons
Improved targeting behavior from NPCs
Fixed the situation where companions were not helping with battle in certain situations
Grenades will now always ricochet off of obstacles
Ball lightning will now always jump to the next target

Dialogues

Improved camera in dialogues
Improved placement of conversation partners

Text

Updates and fixes

Engine

Improved shadow mapping to sun position
Eliminated flickering mist when the camera was too close to obstacles
Subtitles are now deactivated by default when the same language is selected for voice and text

Xbox One:

Graphics pipeline optimizations, including VSync activation to remove screen tearing

Sounds like they are adressing important issues mentioned in many reviews. Let's hope it's enough.

loganclaws

Plane Escape Torment
Day 1 patch notes are here

Sounds like they are adressing important issues mentioned in many reviews. Let's hope it's enough.

I think most streamers and reviewers, including Karak already had this patch applied when they were playing right?

Oh yeah, downloading now. Trailer looks pretty solid and I'm way down for another Gothic/Risen type game.

If it's bigger than Gothic 3 like mentioned earlier that's a fairly good sized map.

Now we just need Two Worlds 3 to make an appearance. Hopefully will lots of horses and mounted combat.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
I'd appreciate some effort on improving on the technical side, frankly.

I feel like Risen 1 and Risen 3 were more than competent. Risen 2 was a technical mess at launch, though.

On what platform? I checked again, and at least on Steam, it's still not possible to preload (unless you are a reviewer).

PS4. I just bought it "pre-ordered" through PS Store and it started preloading, already done downloading. 34.6gb fully downloaded. Unlocks in 58 minutes.

Karak

I think most streamers and reviewers, including Karak already had this patch applied when they were playing right?

Appears I have it at least. Shield upgrade button works. But that means nothing. Could be a mixed patch, or we tested it as happens sometimes. And a many hundred meg patch came in days ago.

Does anyone know if you can just use weapons like shotguns by finding them and using them, or if you have to get trained and have a skill to be able to equip/fire them?

Top Bottom