• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Elex |OT| Gothic 5: Risen From Jank

Moff

iU21KkN.jpg

Elex is the latest RPG from the Gothic and Risen developers Piranha Bytes, the godfathers of eurojank.

T4rgSsr.gif

xOPlnAq.jpg

Science-Fantasy

Advanced in technology, civilized and with a population of billions, Magalan was a planet looking to the future. Then the meteor hit.

Those who survived are now trapped in a battle to survive, a struggle to decide the fate of a planet. At the center of this fight is the element ”Elex".
A precious, limited resource that arrived with the meteor, Elex can power machines, open the door to magic, or re-sculpt life into new, different forms.

But which of these choices should be the future of Magalan?
Can technology or magic save this world?
Or will this new power destroy all those left alive amongst the ruins?

5L8DWZl.jpg

One of the games standout features is that it's set in a world with wasteland, scifi and fantasy elements.
If that reminds you of certain huge RPG franchises, that might just be a coincidence.
But what did the developers intend?
This footage leaked directly from the Piranha Bytes headquarters and might shed some light on the issue:
QoXVb7i.gif

xK8ixjK.jpg

You get 1 full 60-80 hours game
  • No loot crates, no dlcs, no season pass, no preorder shenannigans, no microtransactions
    Instead, they added huge replayability.
Decision based story
  • Being raised as an Alb and fed pure Elex to strengthen your body, which also stripped you of all emotions, your world of cold logic and military discipline were all you knew.
    Set to rise through the ranks, a scourge to your enemies, your destiny seemed certain.
    Now, as the smoke rises over the wreckage of your glider in the mountains of Edan, you are trapped far from your home Xacor.
    With no access to pure Elex, you are experiencing emotions for the first time in your life.
    Stranded amongst your enemies and outcast from your people, in front of you lies a new and open path, as heavily laden with magnificence as it is with ruin.
    The decisions you make will decide the fate of the world. Magalan – will you be its slayer or its saviour?
Role-Playing
  • Find a companion, choose a faction and influence the world.
    In Elex there is no traditional class system. Instead you must earn the trust of experienced teachers to develop the skills you select.
    But, skills alone won't be enough to survive in this harsh and challenging world. Your attitude towards the people you meet will influence those around you.
    Will you make an ally or an enemy? Is now the time to show emotion or take the course of logic? Every choice will forge the future of your game.
Exploration
  • Thanks to the open world, players have access to all five regions of the game world right from the very start.
    Go where you want, choose your battles and your allies.
    The only thing in the world that will stop you are the mutant creatures that live in Magalan's Elex-polluted landscapes.
    Walk, run, or punch your jetpack into action. If you can see it, you can reach it. Open world role-playing has never been more open.
Combat
  • From swords and axes to bows, crossbows and harpoons, Elex offers one of the widest selection of weaponry in the history of role-playing.
    Pick up a shotgun, power up a plasma rifle or unleash a flame thrower – there's a weapon and combat style for every fighter out there.
    Be it a hammer, a rocket launcher or the power of magic, Elex balances science, fantasy and brute force to let you choose the combat style that fits your role best!
xy3ofN0.gif

• The Jetpack is a key gameplay feature and should provide useful in both exploration and combat.
VgHhKhV.jpg

As usual in Piranha Bytes games, Factions play a central role in the story and the progression of your character.
Not only will you get the best gear from the faction you join, you will also get different special skills and abilities depending on which one you chose.
eaJZqDx.jpg

Berserker Faction Trailer
The Berserkers in Edan

Wiping the planet clean, the meteor has given the people of Magalan another chance. The world can live once more.
Having found a way to transmute Elex into pure Mana, the Berserkers are transforming Magalan's shattered wastes into lush, living woodland.
Where the Albs bring destruction, the Berserkers offer true hope. As magic replaces technology, Magalan shall offer all its people a future.
  • The Berserkers offer the classic Gothic Experience with medieval weapons and fire, frost and poison magic.
zvKNiU7.jpg

Outlaws faction trailer
The Outlaws in Tavar

A rocky, desert wasteland, Tavar is home to the Outlaws.
Scavenging the ruins for weapons and equipment, the Outlaws will worship no god, they will not pledge themselves to the strict laws of the Berserkers,
or surrender to a life of emotionless conflict. With the meteor came a chance for freedom, choice, a world where anyone can rise to the top.
The Outlaws live by the motto, that life may be brutal, but it's free and easy, and that all shall be rewarded for their strengths.
  • The outlaws are the Fallout inspired faction, they use Shotguns, Rocket launchers as well as other heavy weapons and enhance their abilities via chemical stims.
0CuOzAl.jpg

Clerics faction trailer
The Clerics in Ignadon

The site of the meteor's impact, Ignadon is riven by constant volcanic activity.
Thought to be devoid of life, Ignadon was the perfect hiding place for the Clerics to grow in power.
Followers of the god Calaan, the Clerics see the consumption of Elex in any form as a sin. Instead they use Elex to power their machines.
Guardians of Magalan's technology, the Clerics put their faith in Calaan, plasma weapons, mechs and the power of industry.
From the ashes shall rise a new Magalan even more advanced than before.
  • The clerics are the Mass Effect inspired faction of the game and use plasma weapons as well as psi powers.
iGBuozT.jpg

Alb faction trailer
The Albs in Xacor

Where the meteor brought destruction, it also gifted the people of Magalan their future – Elex. Harnessing its power for technology is only the start.
By consuming pure Elex, the people of Magalan can grow stronger, think with increased clarity and be free from emotion.
With focus and drive from their base in the mountains of Xacor, the Albs extend their reach to conquer Magalan.
They claim that all Elex is theirs by right. The Albs are sure that strength alone can save the world, and the weak must be sacrificed for Magalan to survive.
  • The albs are the opposing faction in the game and as we know of now cannot be joined.

Qoht8Iq.jpg

Q: Is this a good game?
A: It's a Piranha Bytes game.

Q: Are there big cities in this game?
A: Every faction will have their own town but there is also a bigger neutral city in the game.

Q: How big is the world?
A: It's Piranha Bytes biggest game, yet. Roughly 1.5 times as big as Gothic 3. There aren't any islands or instances, so no loading times anywhere.

Q: How do I level up?
A: With every level up you can raise attributes and get learning points.
Learning points can only be spent at certain trainer NPCs and will teach you plenty of powerful perks and abilities.

Q: Can I create my own character?
A: No, you can only play as a white, bald male.

Q: Does the combat suck again?
A: Combat is again very challenging, early in the game you are supposed to avoid many strong enemies and always bring a companion.
Watch this video to make sure how to pull off combos and increase your damage.

Q: Do I need to play the Risen and Gothic games before this?
A: Elex has a completely new setting and story. However, everyone should play Gothic 2, it's one of the best RPGs ever made.

Q: Are the console versions trash?
A: Early let's plays look fine.

Q: Will my PC run this?
Minimum Requirements
Processor: Intel Core i5 3570, AMD FX-6350
Memory: 8 GB RAM
Graphics: NVIDIA GTX 660 2GB, AMD Radeon 7850 2GB
DirectX: Version 11
Storage: 35 GB available space
Sound Card: DirectX compatible Sound card

RECOMMENDED:
Processor: Intel Core i7-4790, AMD FX-8350
Memory: 16 GB RAM
Graphics: NVIDIA GTX 1060 3GB, AMD RX 480 4GB
DirectX: Version 11
Storage: 35 GB available space
Sound Card: DirectX compatible Sound card

P2RqkCJ.jpg

pJImq3N.png

The game releases on October 17th on Steam, GOG, PS4 and XBoxone.
Unlike Risen 3, the PC retail version is not DRM free, it's the Steam version on disc.
Ps4pro and Xboxonex patches are planned but will not be available at launch.
There is also a Collectors Edition.
V057HMs.png

mIdxXvD.jpg

Launch Trailer
Cinematic CGI Trailer
Prologue Story Trailer

v888w5B.jpg

Metacritic: PC, PS4, Xbox

That's the OT, try to enjoy the game.
Thanks to Banzai for the title suggestion.

Gothos

Been playing review copy for the last few days. Beautiful, huge and fun world, UI sucks (like really, really sucks), the energy in combat is implemented terribly (used for blocking, attacking, etc) and ranged combat sucks :) Overall solid game, though.

SPCTRE

Been playing review copy for the last few days. Beautiful, huge and fun world, UI sucks (like really, really sucks), the energy in combat is implemented terribly (used for blocking, attacking, etc) and ranged combat sucks :) Overall solid game, though.
Sounds like a PB game :D I should probably definitely give it a go.

Ragona

I love Piranha Bytes' games for their handcrafted worlds and freedom.
I am used with their combat systems being kinda shitty and the graphics being atleast half a generation behind by now, but the UI really is a buzzkill..what were they thinking -.-

vesirott

Neo Member
No preorder as per policy, but day1. Doesnt matter that Risens were hit and miss, its still PB. This kind of blind loyalty is disgusting...

Could you tell me what kinda stuff NPCs do during the day and night time? I've always appreciated PB's attention to detail in that regard.

Artdayne

I'm playing this day 1. I saw a stream of it, and from the sound of it this is more of a return to form back to the Gothic 1, Gothic 2, and Risen 1 days and that's great.

rockx4

No character creation would be fine with a well designed main character, but they didn't even bother to design his hair.

Protome

Might pick this one up. The last PB game I got really into was Gothic 3 though, weirdly enough. Risen never clicked with me.

Un4

World and overall concept looks awesome.

So, this is a non-linear RPG with actual meaningful choices? If so, i'm very tempted to jump in at launch.

So it really is a Piranha Bytes game!

Man I really really want to get this game, the overall world design is just sooo appealing but I need to stay my hand and wait till I upgrade my PC.

Sentenza

Might pick this one up. The last PB game I got really into was Gothic 3 though, weirdly enough. Risen never clicked with me.

I think that's the only one that I genuinely can't stand no matter how many times I tried.

So, this is a non-linear RPG with actual meaningful choices? If so, i'm very tempted to jump in at launch.
Like all their games so far.

Banzai

Good OT dude. I'll check back in once i actually got to play the game. I have to say I'm pretty excited now!

Moff

Time to be a mute nameless one once again!
(I think in this game the MC has a name, though)

He does have a name for the first time, yes. But the player character was never mute in PB games, every dialogue option you choose is fully voiced.

Drazgul

Can you expand on that? Poor damage output or what? Which faction did you go with, from what I understand some of them offer more ranged selection than others?

In for day 1, for sure. Outlaws for me, that post-apoc western chic is way cool.

Gothic 1, 2 and Risen were terrific games but the dev is honestly too inconsistent for me. Will look at this when it's cheaper and when the impression after the honeymoon phase are still positive on GAF.

venomenon

Just pre-ordered. Consider me hyped.

Time to be a mute nameless one once again!
(I think in this game the MC has a name, though)
PB's main characters aren't mute. In fact, their dubbing is usually excellent with a multitude of hilarious lines (in the German versions at least).

Sentenza

I just love that PB continue to do what they've been doing for decades.
I'd appreciate some effort on improving on the technical side, frankly.
It's also a bit disheartening that their best game so far in terms of design is 15 years old at this point and most changes they attempted since then were for the worse.

KHlover

Banned
Will this finally be the first game since Gothic 2 that doesn't fall apart after the first half of the game? I'll wait for impressions. Maybe play Gothic 2 for the x-th time to get into the mood.

Shatohin

Neo Member
Preordered, downloaded. Waiting for the unlock.
PB games is weird, but in a good way for me.
Love all previous games.

These guys are originally from my little home town (good old Wattenscheid), and I thoroughly enjoyed Gothic and Gothic 2. I really hope this game is decent enough to be a fun experience. The previews are looking nice so far. :)

eloxx

Waiting for this to unlock. Really looking forward to playing the game. I am hoping that the combat is easy but still feels great.

Sentenza

Waiting for this to unlock. Really looking forward to playing the game. I am hoping that the combat is easy but still feels great.

Nah. PB games are always at their best when you are a worthless piece of shit who's struggling to not be crushed like a bug.

Is it possible to disable UI?

Artdayne

I kinda despise that. Jank is not good. They have been stagnating and are not willing to get better at what they do.

Eh, maybe so but this is a very small team of 25 people from what I've heard so needing to invest a good amount of time and money into improving animations and polish will probably mean that it will take away from the things they are good at. Watching some of the gameplay it really doesn't seem to bad. I love the fact that your character starts out really weak just as you do in their classic games.

Elven_Star

Playing through Divinity: Original Sin 2 right now, and have many many games lined up to be played (Middle-earth: Shadow of War, Tyranny, Grim Dawn, Danganronpa V3 among others). I'm a sucker for RPGs but the way 2017 is going, I'm only gonna give this a try if it reviews really really well which is unlikely if the early impressions are anything to go by. Otherwise, I'll come back to it when I have nothing else to play (again, unlikely).

Durante

I'd appreciate some effort on improving on the technical side, frankly.
Honestly, I think the level of overall technical sophistication in their games is incredibly impressive given their team size and what they are doing (open world RPGs with no zoning and lots of persistent state).

I kinda despise that. Jank is not good. They have been stagnating and are not willing to get better at what they do.
Generally, game development priorities are a zero sum game, and in that regard I find myself usually preferring "jank" to the other options. Also, if early reviews of this are any indication, they do appear to be getting better at what they do.

Top Bottom