• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Elite Dangerous: Horizons |OT| Just scratching the surface

Reckheim

Jupiter throught the hole.

Speaking of Jupiter, anyone know how I get the SOL permit? My federal rank is above petty officer now but i still havent seen a mission or anything to get the permit. I wonder if its because i have a higher rank with the empire as well.

-NeoTB1-

Anyone have the base game on Xbox One? How is it? I know, I know... PC is probably better. But I'm not in a position to play it on there right now.

Hoping this appears in the digital sales that start up tomorrow.

HelloMeow

That music with the video is rad as hell. I can almost emulate that sort of motion but the mouse is way too finicky with FA-off since if it's at all off-center you keep on moving, can't just let go of the stick to kill inputs. The broader movements aren't too bad, where it gets tough is in the fine tuning necessary to line up shots. How Isinona does it I have no idea.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vYv5ri9yN18

Looks really cool, but I don't think it helps all that much.

You can enable relative mouse axis, which will recenter the mouse input automatically. It's a must for FA of with mouse and keyboard.

Jedi2016

Jupiter throught the hole.

DQoUpG1.png
Nice!

Is that Columbus? That's the only station I usually visit at Jupiter, I don't think I've ever seen the planet right outside the mailslot like that.

Thanks!

Yeah, I might try that. I currently have roll on the stick left/right as default, yaw on the rocker and stick twist for left/right thrusters. I'll try out your setup after I get home tonight.

Needs a lot of practice, but it is definitely more enjoyable over the controller setup I was using at the start.

No problem. Actually, was looking at the mappings that Isinona uses in that video someone posted recently... Didn't realize the hotas x did have a twist stick. That would be another option to put roll on. Although Isinona does use it for yaw...

His other mappings look good though (especially for the translational thrusts). Maybe try his mappings, and try both twist as yaw and twist as roll and see which u prefer.

You can enable relative mouse axis, which will recenter the mouse input automatically. It's a must for FA of with mouse and keyboard.

I'll give that a shot, thanks!

Edit: Wow. Wow! What a difference! Full time FA-off in combat thanks to that, thanks for the tip! I still think FA off is a little strange while maneuvering as I can never seem to get the thing straightened out near as fast as the assist can get it, but all in all it's way more fun and I'm actually feeling a little more potent in combat.

I'm finally back yay! Thanks so much Anton for creating this thread and being just a rock solid part of the space sim community here. We're lucky to have you.

Chris_C

I'm still a noob trying desperately to wrap my head around this game's wild learning curve, but I'm enjoying it so far. I just managed to upgrade from my Sidewinder to an Adder, which I really like (though the cockpit view takes some getting used to). Here are some images:

8D1Dlxb.jpg

KPQIc4a.jpg

My goal right now is to save up enough to get the best components available and head to Sol and then eventually out into the black, headed for the center.

Should I make the Sol trip in my Adder or is it safer/more advisable to wait till I have enough to afford an Asp Explorer first?

I'm still a noob trying desperately to wrap my head around this game's wild learning curve, but I'm enjoying it so far. I just managed to upgrade from my Sidewinder to an Adder, which I really like (though the cockpit view takes some getting used to). Here are some images:

My goal right now is to save up enough to get the best components available and head to Sol and then eventually out into the black, headed for the center.

Should I make the Sol trip in my Adder or is it safer/more advisable to wait till I have enough to afford an Asp Explorer first?

You need to do enough missions for the Federation to get the Petty Officer rank which gives you the system permit to enter Sol.

Chris_C

Love this game, but the vagaries of the mission system are driving me nuts.

I picked up a mission to recover some stolen diplomatic cases in a certain system, so I went ahead and jumped there, and flew around in super cruise across the whole system, randomly checking weak, strong and unidentified signal sources, scanning passing ships until the mission timer ran out. Literally flying around blindly for an hour and a half because all I had to go on was "Target: Hakonen" (took me a while to figure out that was his/her name) "Target Location: Space" (space is huge) and "Target ETA: 6:30-6:50" (how do I know what time it is? As far as I know my ship doesn't have a CLOCK, WHERE should I be at this time, in "space"??)

Ugh. Well, I guess I'll keep looking for missions I can complete. So far combat has made me rich, but the game's missions are making me bang my head against the wall.

Man, this is bullshit. All the Robigo missions are now illegal and I just lost 6 millions because I was scanned. Frontier always has to take out the fun of everything.

E-flux

8D1Dlxb.jpg

KPQIc4a.jpg

You need an SOL permit to get back "home" which might take a while, but Adder should do the job just fine in getting you there. What are your thoughts on Adder? People don't seem to really like that shuttle looking ship but i absolutely love it.

Chris_C

You need an SOL permit to get back "home" which might take a while, but Adder should do the job just fine in getting you there. What are your thoughts on Adder? People don't seem to really like that shuttle looking ship but i absolutely love it.

Yeah, I've been trying to do some Federation missions but it's really slow going!

So far I really love the Adder, my only issue is with the limited visibility in the cockpit. It's not the prettiest ship in the game, but it's got character and feels more like Serenity than the Millenium Falcon or an X-Wing, it's got ugly duckling charm.

Can we name our ships? This seems like a massive oversight if not.

Carroway

Yeah, I've been trying to do some Federation missions but it's really slow going!

So far I really love the Adder, my only issue is with the limited visibility in the cockpit. It's not the prettiest ship in the game, but it's got character and feels more like Serenity than the Millenium Falcon or an X-Wing, it's got ugly duckling charm.

We can't, sadly, name ships. They have talked about adding that feature for a little while now. From what I could gather. Braben would like to tie some sort of notoriety system to ship names, so a ship could be recognised by its name, if it was a pirate or if it was a smuggling ship for instance.

Reckheim

If you're gonna go to the center of the universe I would advise saving up for an ASP, amazing ship with an amazing cockpit view, I have enough money to own a full spec Anaconda but still mostly just fly in my ASP.

hepburn3d

I use my adder for exploring. Add an extra 8 fuel tank for that safe feeling to :) don't need to but 16 fuel gives you more exploring time between sun refuels. currently have a 24ly jump distance with the advanced scanner and detail scanner(a must for a long journey) all D equipment for maximum lightness. Even went down a power plant grade to lower weight. Could increase it further by removing my shields but when you have 2 mill worth of data to sell after a long travel you don't want to die to an interdiction one jump from a station. I've set my base as Lave. Is a great return point from a trip to the core. Awesome feeling when you discover a whole system first. Scan every planet and rock so any travellers who come by will see your Elite version of "first" :p

Also no need for weapons. Just boost away in interdictions. Be prepared for a long journey. You start to miss seeing any civilisation after a while

espher

Finally got around to giving this game a shot over the weekend even though I bought the base game months ago.

Booted up the game and watched it start doing the shader thing. Went and found a webradio station while I waited. As the game was loading, Queen's "Flash" started playing on the webradio station. Hype mode engaged. Fiddled with controls (I had bought the X52 Pro) and played through the tutorials. Had a hell of a time shooting waste containers for some reason but no problems in the other tutorial missions. Was ready to roll.

Started out with the Horizons starter loadout. Took a mission. Landed on a planet. The atmospheric flight/entry/glide stuff was cool. Landed. Got my lander out. Slid around hills for like 30 minutes since it controlled terribly (granted I was still using my HOTAS and I think that's a bad idea). Couldn't actually aim the turret in turret mode - didn't respond to any buttons/controls. Accidentally shot a defence gun while driving around and got a bounty. Logged out and back in to reset aggro. Tried to do a mission where I had to interface with comm terminals. Couldn't find them. Kept getting trespassing warnings. Lots of angry turrets. Said to hell with it after an hour and logged out.

Deleted my character. Started with the regular/vanilla loadout. Bought some cargo, but realized I only have four slots. Bought two more cargo slots. Got a mission to deliver cargo to a system. Flew to that system. Was confused for five minutes that I couldn't request docking at the station because I forgot to go to the Contacts tab and was trying to do it from the first tab or w/e. Laughed at the fact that I was an idiot. Landed. Went to turn in the mission. Unable to connect to server or something related to the Bulletin Board. Went to another station. Same issue. Went to another station. Same issue. After an hour I logged out of the game completely (not just to menu) and logged back in. Turned in my mission successfully. Decided three hours of being confused as hell was enough.

Can't wait to boot it back up again, probably tonight or tomorrow. ;)

Probably going to delete and reroll again w/ the Horizons loadout.

E-flux

Sadly, there's no renaming option. Own decals would also go a long way to make that hunk of junk yours. Personally that low visibility is one of the reasons i like the Adder, i'm currently flying Diamondback Explorer but it just doesn't feel the same, it's a good ship but i miss my cup holders.

Effect

Edit: Hmm. Going to rethink the Cobra MK IV some more after thinking about it more. Maybe look into the ASP Scout or the Diamondback again. Thinking maybe the ship might indeed be so slow. I do need better weapon placement. That hasn't changed.

Chris_C

Thanks for all the advice guys. I'll be making my Sol trip once I've got the permit, in my trusty adder, and save up for an Asp explorer for the trip to the black. Love the look of the cockpit view in that ship.

Are there any space stations out there in uncivilized/uninhabited space, or will I need to rely on fuel scooping?

Do Space stations eventually spawn in systems you discover? I'm a little worried about being stranded in the middle of nowhere.

Pomerlaw

Thanks for all the advice guys. I'll be making my Sol trip once I've got the permit, in my trusty adder, and save up for an Asp explorer for the trip to the black. Love the look of the cockpit view in that ship.

Are there any space stations out there in uncivilized/uninhabited space, or will I need to rely on fuel scooping?

Do Space stations eventually spawn in systems you discover? I'm a little worried about being stranded in the middle of nowhere.

Nope. Outside the bubble, you are on your own.

If you ever need fuel, contact the FUEL RATS.

There are a few outposts out near-ish humanity. For instance I was jumping around deep space on my way to the fine ring when suddenly I jumped into a faction owned system complete with a station. Made a nice stop off and it was quite far from the last signs of humanity so refreshing. However it was still within 1000ly. Once you cross that barrier I'd wager you won't see any stations until you get home. By the way with the Asp it's an absolute breeze. I can make almost 30ly jumps in a single go without even including the new FSD boost and can get about 6-7 in at least before the tank dries up. Chances of not hitting a scoopable star are slim and you can just make short jumps if you start to get low.

Basically with an Asp it's going to be a breeze. Just try not to get caught too close to the stars and take heat damage. Sure it's not much damage, you may not even drop down from 100% but if you check the modules they WILL have taken damage. It won't be much at first but you really want to minimize it as much as possible. If something vital goes wrong at 9000ly away, chances are you won't be coming back.

Nope. Outside the bubble, you are on your own.

If you ever need fuel, contact the FUEL RATS.

Not entirely correct. Obsidian Orbital is outside of the bubble and there's a new station being made on the surface there too. The one I found toward the fine ring could have been anywhere between 100-500ly from the bubble. Scooping will be the main method but you may also occasionally stumble across some civilization out there too.

Fireblend

Banned
Ugh, I just can't get into this game, as much as I want to like it. I scraped by and was able to buy a better ship, and I want to do bounty hunting, but every. goddamn. time. I'm out shooting at a wanted ship, some asshole gets in the way, I shoot him, and then get auto-killed by some security force. Is there something I'm doing awfully wrong? This is unfair :( I've lost over 90k today just from that, and I have like 15k left...

Ugh, I just can't get into this game, as much as I want to like it. I scraped by and was able to buy a better ship, and I want to do bounty hunting, but every. goddamn. time. I'm out shooting at a wanted ship, some asshole gets in the way, I shoot him, and then get auto-killed by some security force. Is there something I'm doing awfully wrong? This is unfair :( I've lost over 90k today just from that, and I have like 15k left...

It's happened to the best of us, at least once.

Qasiel

It's happened to the best of us, at least once.

Happened a lot to me early on in my BH career, but they released a patch limiting it if I remember rightly. Has the 1.5/Horizons update negated it? I keep seeing a lot of this again in different groups outside of NeoGAF.

Filter

The black Asp paintjob is...very black.

23268476034_cf094d145a_h.jpg

"That," he said, "that... is really bad for the eyes."
It was a ship of classic, simple design, like a flattened salmon, twenty yards long, very clean, very sleek. There was just one remarkable thing about it.

"It's so... black!" said Ford Prefect. "You can hardly make out its shape... light just seems to fall into it!"

The blackness of it was so extreme that it was almost impossible to tell how close you were standing to it.

"Your eyes just slide off it..." said Ford in wonder.

From Restaurant at the End of the Universe, by Douglas Adams.

owlbeak

What would be the next ship in line for an aspiring bounty hunter? I'm curretly flying a fully equipped Viper.
The Vulture is an awesome step up from the Viper. Large hardpoints that do a ton of damage and the most maneuverable ship in the game lets you dance around anything you'll come across. It's an amazing ship in a good pilot's hands, with good shields, serviceable cargo capacity (4), so you can take some smaller trade missions, and it can solo Anacondas and Pythons.

Yeah Vulture is pound for pound, dollar for dollar the best Bounty Hunting ship in the game. There are better overall but they cost much much more and none are as maneuverable. It's weaknesses are power management and it's not very fast in a straight line.

Dizzy-4U

The Vulture is an awesome step up from the Viper. Large hardpoints that do a ton of damage and the most maneuverable ship in the game lets you dance around anything you'll come across. It's an amazing ship in a good pilot's hands, with good shields, serviceable cargo capacity (4), so you can take some smaller trade missions, and it can solo Anacondas and Pythons.
I see. It only has 2 hardpoints, what do you put in there? 1 Beam laser and 1 Multicannon?

They are large hardpoints. There aren't any large multicannons unfortunately. The most efficient and practical but boring would be 2 large pulse lasers or you could go crazy impractical and do a large beam and a large plasma accelerator!

Dizzy-4U

They are large hardpoints. There aren't any large multicannons unfortunately. The most efficient and practical but boring would be 2 large pulse lasers or you could go crazy impractical and do a large beam and a large plasma accelerator!
Haven't even tried the plasma accelerator yet. This will be fun.

Fireblend

Banned
Well, this game sure is fickle. I logged back in for like an hour and am now at 350k+ credits. It must have heard me complaining here.

owlbeak

I see. It only has 2 hardpoints, what do you put in there? 1 Beam laser and 1 Multicannon?

I fly with 2 fixed pulse cannons and never encountered something I couldn't beat. Some people run twin beams. Experiment and find what works best for you! :)

Jedi2016

Tried beams, but power is a problem with the bigger guns on that ship.

I couldn't quite go toe-to-toe with an Anaconda, though, unless I had help from the feds.. everything else was no problem.

My FDL can take three or four passes from an Anaconda and barely lose one ring of shields, though.. I've got Class-A shields and count 'em SIX shield boosters in the utility slots. I laugh off just about everything. Still don't have enough power to run the plasma accelerator, though. That's why I'm running all the CGs for the next few weeks, get a few extra million here and there to pay for it all. And then I can think about a Clipper as a more multi-role ship for mining and stuff.. lol.

Chris_C

UpDownLeftRight, Pomerlaw, E-flux, hepburn3d, Reckheim, (and anyone I might have forgotten) thanks for the helpful advice, it's a tough game to get into, but I'm enjoying it and appreciate the help!

BigTnaples

Todd Howard's Secret GAF Account
So I was on the cusp of buying this game, and then I started reading all of the Steam reviews (Verified owners with 100+ hours) and people seem to be saying they don't recommend the title at all.

Is it much better post Horizons?

My main squeeze will definitely be Star Citizen, but going to wait it out just a tad bit longer. At least until they add better comfy couch support (gamepad/Steam Controller).

What are people's general impressions of the game? I love the idea of Space Sims. SC is like a childhood fantasy come true for me.

I kind of want something that will just feed my need to drive around space exploring, and something I can play from my couch. (Have no intention of going back and playing on my Dual Monitor Desk Setup anytime soon).

Should I stay away? Also I see that ED is 15 bucks, while Horizons is sill 60. Is it safe to assume Horizons will NOT go on sale during the Steam sale and I should just buy full price?

Carroway

So I was on the cusp of buying this game, and then I started reading all of the Steam reviews (Verified owners with 100+ hours) and people seem to be saying they don't recommend the title at all.

Is it much better post Horizons?

My main squeeze will definitely be Star Citizen, but going to wait it out just a tad bit longer. At least until they add better comfy couch support (gamepad/Steam Controller).

What are people's general impressions of the game? I love the idea of Space Sims. SC is like a childhood fantasy come true for me.

I kind of want something that will just feed my need to drive around space exploring, and something I can play from my couch. (Have no intention of going back and playing on my Dual Monitor Desk Setup anytime soon).

Should I stay away? Also I see that ED is 15 bucks, while Horizons is sill 60. Is it safe to assume Horizons will NOT go on sale during the Steam sale and I should just buy full price?

What people tend to forget in their steam reviews is that there are updates coming through-out the year. Including multi-crewed ships and other features.

At the moment I am exploring the galaxy and landing on different planets, gathering materials and just finding crashed ships or abandoned SRVs. If you just want to explore the galaxy then you owe it to yourself to buy the game.

The most impressive thing about Elite is the idea that you can just move up and explore the galaxy, and even earn a pretty penny by doing so, instead of just Trading and Killing.

If you want a game mor like X-wing or Freespace, then Elite isn't that game.

SC and ED are also vastly different in how they roll out updates. SC wants every single feature to be made and will not release, proper, untll every single feature is in the game. ED does a more staggered approach, laying the foundation for future updates and improvements. Neither way is wrong they are just different, it's up to you as a player to decide how the two approaches appeal to you.

DrBo42

Yeah there's no way I'd recommend Elite until maybe the end of the season depending on how much content they plug in compared to just more bare bone features. Probably won't be great until Season 3.

The fuck?

The most recent influx of bad reviews are centered around the pricing model. Some people are furious at the idea of $45-$60 DLC. These negative reviews have a huge number of people marking them as helpful so the featured reviews are mostly these. However, prior to Horizons a lot of the negative reviews are from people who have played for 100s of hours but ultimately were sick of grinding. I can appreciate people burning out and being left with a bad taste even after playing for a ridiculous number of hours. Luckily for me, the sense of space travel, combat and piloting my own ship keeps me coming back day after day.

Mengy

wishes it were bannable to say mean things about Marvel
Edit: Hmm. Going to rethink the Cobra MK IV some more after thinking about it more. Maybe look into the ASP Scout or the Diamondback again. Thinking maybe the ship might indeed be so slow. I do need better weapon placement. That hasn't changed.

The Cobra IV is a dud IMHO. It's the fifth slowest ship in the game, it's only faster than the huge massive ships like the Anaconda and the Type 9. That coupled with it's crippling underpowered distributor makes it one of the slowest and weakest wet bags in the game. It has awesome internals and hardpoint placements, and it looks fantastic, but it's a dangerous ship to fly in. It's best method for dealing with interdictions is to high wake out ASAP before you quickly die.

It wouldn't take much to fix it. Either give it a better distributor or make it quite a bit faster and agile, just something to give it a chance in combat.

Top Bottom