• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Elite Dangerous: Horizons |OT| Just scratching the surface

illusionary

It should be. In no uncertain terms it is a time sink. A sandbox with limited direction and purpose given to the player. You very much do whatever you want, whenever you want. It's sort of like if there was no main quest in GTA or Borderlands or Witcher...just an endless supply of RNG side quests, wandering, fighting, exploration. That is how I'd describe what the E:D experience is. Find your own way to progress through the game, get money, have fun exploring or outfitting your ships or fighting PvP or whatever.

If that sounds like something you're down for, you'll find plenty to like in E:D. I'm around 1,100 hours in and I expect to put a great deal more in before I'm done.

Sorry, I missed this with my earlier post as it was pretty much at the same time - thanks also and yeah, I appreciate that. Well, I played around with the trial for a little while and, for better or worse, I've gone ahead with it. £15 (which really is more like £12 given that it's paid for with store credit) is hardly a huge amount after all!

frontieruk

Sorry, I missed this with my earlier post as it was pretty much at the same time - thanks also and yeah, I appreciate that. Well, I played around with the trial for a little while and, for better or worse, I've gone ahead with it. £15 (which really is more like £12 given that it's paid for with store credit) is hardly a huge amount after all!

See you in the Galaxy :D

So I'm considering picking up a new HOTAS for this now that my Rift's on the way, and ran into this sale on NewEgg:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16826280021

Warthog stick and throttle for $299.

Worth snagging even with new Thurstmaster products coming?

I think I would still lean toward a CH Products set. Reportedly, some people have had QA issues the Warthog stick and some do not like the heaviness and resistance of the throttle and stick. However, that's obviously a preference thing. You'd probably want to consider pedals for either set because they do not have twister rudder controls.

XiaNaphryz

LATIN, MATRIPEDICABUS, DO YOU SPEAK IT
I think I would still lean toward a CH Products set. Reportedly, some people have had QA issues the Warthog stick and some do not like the heaviness and resistance of the throttle and stick. However, that's obviously a preference thing. You'd probably want to consider pedals for either set because they do not have twister rudder controls.

I've never been a fan of rudder twist. If I don't have pedals, I prefer the "slow roll equates to yaw" compromise.

I think I saw some of the CH stuff end up costing more than that deal for both a throttle and stick, which is why I'm considering the Warthog.

E-flux

So I'm considering picking up a new HOTAS for this now that my Rift's on the way, and ran into this sale on NewEgg:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16826280021

Warthog stick and throttle for $299.

Worth snagging even with new Thurstmaster products coming?

I use Warthog hotas and i can recommend it, only bad things about it is the horrible software which you don't need to use and if you uncouple the throttle it starts to feel a bit flimsy. Other than that it's an amazing combo.

Hylian7

I've never been a fan of rudder twist. If I don't have pedals, I prefer the "slow roll equates to yaw" compromise.

I think I saw some of the CH stuff end up costing more than that deal for both a throttle and stick, which is why I'm considering the Warthog.

It sounds like you have played Elite, so if you really think you can go without rudder twist, then go for it. I've heard the Warthog is pretty much top of the line. I remember watching Dslyecxi's (Arma YouTube guy) review of it.

XiaNaphryz

It sounds like you have played Elite, so if you really think you can go without rudder twist, then go for it. I've heard the Warthog is pretty much top of the line. I remember watching Dslyecxi's (Arma YouTube guy) review of it.

Actually I haven't played it yet, but I've been playing space/flight sims since the 80s a lot of flight sticks in the old days didn't have rudder twist either so I'm used to having to deal with yaw in other ways if there aren't pedals available.

Yeah looks like that might be a bug. Station DOES look different. Maybe its a new model to be introduced soon?

Had me excited there until he flew in and you could see the graphic glitches haha.

DrBo42

Beta 5 patch notes

Some highlights below

Engineers
- Bias the rolls for engineer-crafted items, following several factors:
- Existence of a special effect tends to mean you rolled nearer the top of the ranges
- Items tend to be more consistent in extremity of positive and negative mods when both exist
- Rolls are now biased towards slightly above centre as a baseline
- Removed some of the common materials so there isn't quite so many different ones to collect
- Tweak drop rates of data materials from basic scanning ships and add PowerPlay archetypes to loot tables to make sure they drop materials

Missions
- Reward balance pass for missions
- Balanced the rewards for elite/allied missions
(Based on some of the screencaps on forums they seem to be considerably better CR rewards depending on your associated pilot rank & rep with faction)

Torps & Missiles
- Torpedos now have a 2.5 second arming time rather than their previous 0.5 second. When hitting a target before arming they will deal no damage and self destruct in a small puff
- Torpedos now inherit the speed of their launching ship for the first few seconds of flight, before dropping to a 250m/s cruising speed. These two changes give them an effective minimum range of about 700m+ depending on ship speeds, and also means that you won't be running into the back of your own torpedos!
- Halve firing heat from missiles

CMDR Health & Safety
- Rebalance of hyperspace lights to prevent strobing

VR
- Provide a graphics option to adjust UI scale in VR with a maximum and default of 0.7 for Vive and 1.0 for Oculus

Enduin

No bald cap? Lies!
Actually I haven't played it yet, but I've been playing space/flight sims since the 80s a lot of flight sticks in the old days didn't have rudder twist either so I'm used to having to deal with yaw in other ways if there aren't pedals available.

I have the CH Combat Stick and Throttle. Really love them. Plenty of ways to manually assign Yaw. Haven't had any issues with it. Don't play enough to justify pedals, though that would be pretty nice. And if you already are comfortable with slow roll to yaw then all the better.

Combat stick is only ~95, compared to Fighter Stick at ~125, while the throttle is about ~125 as well. Personally I like the Combat stick over the Fighter Stick. You have so many options between the stick and throttle that missing out on two extra 4-way hats on the stick really isn't that important. I personally like having two actual buttons instead of hats as well. Might be a different story with some of the crazy flight sims out there, but for Elite Dangerous and Star Citizen you have plenty to choose from. Plus you can program I think 3 different quick toggle setups with CH's profiler for even more options.

Unless you go for the Pedals you'll be saving a good 70 bucks by getting the CH stick and throttle instead of the Warthog. Only more if you splurge for the pedals.

Thank you for the link, I'll be snagging this, the sale is a great price.

I used one here: http://www.flyaces.com/simulators/surround-view-flight-simulator, at the Mall of America last time I was there, and I fell in love with the stick. Been meaning to upgrade from my X-52 for a while. This price is a good reason to. Thanks.

Beta 5 patch notes
VR
- Provide a graphics option to adjust UI scale in VR with a maximum and default of 0.7 for Vive and 1.0 for Oculus
Need to try this asap...
... Cant' find it in the settings :(

Settings are much nicer now. They added expandable subsettings. Nice. But perhaps I'm blind but I can only switch graphics settings in the dropdown even if I switch to custom. Nothing to set up detailled. Could be a VR thing though.

Edit to prevent DP:

I don't get shadow delivery missions... How are you supposed to not be scanned at all? If you lose an interdiction by an authority ship you are fucked. Heat sinks won't work against NPCs as well as Silent Running. Failed six missions because of this damnit. :(

And I got an idea for an FSD modification, that would be real nice:
Experimental System Microjumping
- Set your destination by selecting it as usual
- Jump
- Cooldown for another microjump is ~ 4min
But it has a downside! Since it's experimental it only works properly in 30%. If it does not work you over/undershoot by a random distance based on the distance. So say you want to jump 12,000Ls and it fails, you end up at 9,000Ls away BEHIND the destination

:)

Reckheim

Need to try this asap...

Settings are much nicer now. They added expandable subsettings. Nice. But perhaps I'm blind but I can only switch graphics settings in the dropdown even if I switch to custom. Nothing to set up detailled. Could be a VR thing though.

Edit to prevent DP:

I don't get shadow delivery missions... How are you supposed to not be scanned at all? If you lose an interdiction by an authority ship you are fucked. Heat sinks won't work against NPCs as well as Silent Running. Failed six missions because of this damnit. :(

- Jump
But it has a downside! Since it's experimental it only works properly in 30%. If it does not work you over/undershoot by a random distance based on the distance. So say you want to jump 12,000Ls and it fails, you end up at 9,000Ls away BEHIND the destination

If you boost away from the npc scanning you fast enough they wont have the range. I've had luck doing that in the past.

derFeef

Ough, tried it with the Vive. Wow that stuttering, not that the graphics stutter, but the tracking of the headset/view. I guess I will wait a bit longer...

"R9 390.
I will try, but the tracking was horrible even in the menu."

I had some initial stutter with it (GTX 780, 2500k) in the menu that eventually went away entirely. Had a smooth Arena match and then back in the menu everything was good. I don't know if you just immediately backed out once you saw the stuttering or if you gave it a chance to work itself out, but load up a training mission or something and then see if it eventually smooths out.

frontieruk

Need to try this asap...

Edit to prevent DP:

- Jump

Apparently it's only a fail if the scan completes, as suggested boosting out of range works or engaging a firefight as the npc will drop the scan to use weapons

derFeef

Thanks for the tips, I will try again! I did not want to expose my brain for too long inside the menus as I already felt getting a bit sick.

Burny

- Jump

*Urgh*

I'm allergic to suggestions of random travel. They are reoccurring unfortunately. There's enough RNG for the sake of RNG already and I'd like Frontier to keep as much of that bullshit as possible out of the game and tone it down/replace it with worthwhile game mechanics where possible.

Imagine you get hit with the RNG bat of asshattery during a microjump and land yourself somewhere in the void instead of where you bloody want to be. What's the game value that would add? Look, you have to backtrack five minutes in supercruise! FSD's aren't 100% reliable, see? (They are in their current function, so that would be novel. ) "Ohh, this is reaslistic! I can feel the immersion! And having that happen to me the 200th time immerses me even more!"

? !

Personally I would feel being given the middlefinger by poorly implemented game mechanics that fail to make the world feel any more alive, but succeed in wasting my time.

Thing is, in order to make the game world feel alive, some form of RNG has to be present. Ideally with biases, based on variables in the game world. System state, government, location in relation to stellar bodies. But if the dice decide between getting something worthwhile out of it or having wasted time, I would sometimes like to... strap the responsible game designer to a comfy chair and poke them with a soft cushion. For as long as the aggregated time of every single player whose time was wasted due to RNG. same for pure time waster mechanics (donation grind anyone?). I feel that in case of Elite, the respective designer might not live long enough to see the end of it.

Instead, I would like RNG - wherever it is used - to present the player with nearly equally compelling outcomes. Take the RES "spawn table" of wanted ships. Currenly, some virtual dice decides whether you get ships that are worth a damn or whether you get hordes of Eagles and Sidewinders, which don't pay for shit. What do you as a player think? "Ohhh, all the high rank pirates are on vacation today. I'll just have to make do with not earning anything worthwhile while bounty hunting in this RES". Has anyone actually thought that? Or have people, once they learned how the game works, simply taken the FSD straight out of the RES just to drop back in moments later and see if the pirate lord's vacation has ended, so they can earn actual credits? Leaving slight issue of pirates with deathwishes seemingly being in abundance in E:D's universe out of the equation for a moment, because the whole bounty grinding mechanic is absurd when one would take into account that humans lean towards self preservation.

How about rolling for the "flavor" of the spawned ships and giving each flavor a spawn table that leads to roughly equally worthwhile spawns? You're in an Empire system in war with a federation Faction? The spawned wanted ships are mostly Federation agents! And of course, they're using Dropships, FAS and Corvette's, rather than Clippers and Couriers. You're in some arbitrary High RES? Pirates belonging to a set of pirate factions, each with a bias towards certain ship types, a recognizable unique decal/paintjob, and a bias towards using Egineer'ed weapons with certain effects are spawned.

And voilá. RNG that makes the game world feel more alive and doesn't present you with the choice of getting what you want or having wasted your time.

[fuck RNG]
I'm with you on this entirely! The randomness in the game sucks as you mentioned.
The worst part is they do not seem to change it though :(

But the idea of the microjump device is to prevent you from the 12.000LS travel you have to do anyway. So you are not losing anything with this. A 100% microjump device would counter the distances in systems entirely so you have to keep this to a certain degree imho.

XiaNaphryz

Thanks for all the feedback folks...I decided to jump on the Warthog deal as I'll likely be using it for a lot for stuff like DCS aside from Elite.

Burny

I'm with you on this entirely! The randomness in the game sucks as you mentioned.
The worst part is they do not seem to change it though :(

But the idea of the microjump device is to prevent you from the 12.000LS travel you have to do anyway. So you are not losing anything with this. A 100% microjump device would counter the distances in systems entirely so you have to keep this to a certain degree imho.

*Phew* I thought we have a case of suggesting moar RNG for a moment. ;)

It's of course correct that such a micro jump would add the opportunity to skip distances that currently can't be skipped. I'd add that the random misjumps' distance should depend on the actually intended jumped distance, so you don't end up spending more time travelling, than you'd otherwise but...

If they introduced micro jumps, I think I'd prefer what Sandro Sammarco (?) mentioned on the forums after the games' launch: Micro jumps only to suns in a system. Hopefully limited by the same FSD recharge mechanic currently implemented and without random component.

UnrealEck

If anyone's considering a HOTAS and Elite, Box.co.uk has the Saitek X52 Pro with Elite Dangerous for £125.

I've been thinking of getting it if I'm keeping my VR set.

jond76

Banned
have they given any indication how much longer the beta will be?

Nothing solid, but most indicators point to a June release.

The Xbox release of Horizons also includes 2.1 Engineers. So presumably it will release on PC at that time or shortly before.

I'm totally excited for the Xbox release.

Did I spy the ability to customize the galaxy map bookmarks?
3AQmK.gif

Awesome. I want to wait for release to play much more. I'm considering switching from bounty hunting in RES's for money to focusing on assassination missions. We'll see how that goes. It feels more like bounty hunting that way.

DrBo42

Thats so stupid :(

Considering that was deployed while beta was happening AND they've never made a CG with consequences like that before is pretty insane.

This is the kind of stuff that makes me wonder what's going on inside that studio sometimes.

Edit: Don't get me wrong, I'm all for CG's having meaningful consequences or rewards for the entire player base. You have to be extremely clear in the presentation of that information though...and try not to deploy something requiring large player contribution numbers in live build while we're busy testing your game in a beta branch. Pretty common sense to me.

DrBo42

To be clear, we'll still get them at some point either naturally or through some more hoop jumping. We just won't get them day 1 with 2.1 because of the CG. And this is for the gimballed variant, fixed will be there. Just in case people aren't reading the linked page.

Edit: Don't get me wrong, I'm all for CG's having meaningful consequences or rewards for the entire player base. You have to be extremely clear in the presentation of that information though...and try not to deploy something requiring large player contribution numbers in live build while we're busy testing your game in a beta branch. Pretty common sense to me.

A thousand times this; I really am glad that CGs are meaningful and have an impact. I'm even fine with them locking tech temporarily behind such things.

But this sort of thing needs to be broadcast all up and down the block, and the language needs to be clear.

Imagine if this CG was done one week after 2.1 dropped, when the player population was higher because of the new content. Not split by the beta. With a goal that some of the pirate faction players might want to support too. Only the craziest of murderhobos would be murderhoboing, and you might actually see defensive wings form in Open.

Instead they ran it side by side with Beta and another BH CG that was super easy to grind out top 30 percent in about two hours, with little fanfare. That shit should light up Galnet like a beacon.

Yeah I haven't touched the live build since the beta. I would have done my share of the grinding if I only had known.

I ground to hell and back for the new station in the starter system.

Is there a good summary or list of what's coming in 2.1? I know Burny was working on one but don't know if there is one on the ED forums, too. I want to get the OP updated and may do a launch thread, too.

Top Bottom