• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Elite Dangerous: Horizons |OT| Just scratching the surface

So after all the beta patches, what's the final word on Special Effects?

I was really excited about them at first but wish there was a way to actually choose. The regenerative shield beam for example... If you were trying for a support "build" you'd just have to hope you roll it, right?

Bought.

Well you are in luck. In a patch soon after 2.1 release they will be adding a feature that will let you choose the effect at the cost of "calling in favors" with engineers that will have the side effect of negatively impacting your rep with that engineer.

Burny

Well you are in luck. In a patch soon after 2.1 release they will be adding a feature that will let you choose the effect at the cost of "calling in favors" with engineers that will have the side effect of negatively impacting your rep with that engineer.

The sad thing here is that they apparently needed that feedback in the first place. Do they ever play these designs through in their heads before they get the ok and implement them? What made them think people would like being presented with entirely random effects when there is no convenient way to store the random results for later and each rerolling of an effect requires substantial grind?

I suspect that time and resources are a factor heavily playing into this, but it's still baffling to me how attached they're to time waster and/or RNG designs. Take the suggestion I made on the last page regarding spawn tables in RES as example: Implementing that would be additional work compared to what we have now. Not exactly years, but it might take a couple of person weeks compared to what we have now, which they might not have had. They'd have to define and balance spawn tables, possibly create assets/decals to make homogenous and recognizable "WANTED" groups (pirate factions?) and implement the logic determining what actually spawns in a RES. In comparison, just "hard-coding" a numer of spawn tables and a RNG to determine which table is used in every instance of a RES is much more straight forward and simple than what I have in mind. But then they go for a RNG based mechanic that decides between actually playing the way you like or wasting your time with worthless spawns. They could've just let different spawn tables out. Likewise, their time based random USS generation for missions is probably a lot more simple to implement than the system they're introducing with 2.1/1.6. The new system places the mission USS as specific locations in a system, allows to scan for them and generally takes more variables for USS generation into account (traffic lines etc.). That shows to me that they do improve these mechanics once they get around to it.

But then there are mechanics like the donation grind. I understand that they want to have just any placeholder system in place to rank up in the Federation/Empire before they can implement their more "career"-oriented approach they've been mentioning. Fine. Did it at any point occur to them however, that just giving ordinary non-donation missions worthwhile faction experience payoffs might be a more sensible intermediate solution than making the one mission type most effective at ranking up, which literally just requires you to click through menus for hours on end? o_O

DrBo42

There's a thread on the official forums about rating your overall opinion on 2.1 so I'll post what I wrote there. I don't want to break character here but there is some positivity. Sorry.

DrBo42 said:
Most of this is 2.1 while some of it is general Elite thoughts

Things I like:
- USS scanning is a great addition, truly.
- Mission specific USS requiring scan of planet if on surface or scan of system/nav beacon to show planetary body it resides by
(Anything that reduces the time we waste searching or waiting for X event or spawn is great. Thank you.)
- Traffic control (I was really surprised how much hearing a voice welcoming me to a station makes the game feel more alive...we definitely need more of this.)
- Mission board with clear rewards, reputation indication and state changes (Grouping all missions for a faction within a specific contact bucket menu is a godsend)
- Outfitting menu (While clear and more organized, tends to require more clicks than I'd like)
- Surface details (Great on everything but icy worlds...still haven't heard anything from FD on that)
- Engineer bases (Great job, art team)
- Scanning ships and beacons for data materials (Surprisingly adds to supercruise in general with scanning and active entry into decoded emission or salvage USS. Big fan of finally having a reason to check out USS sites. I'd love to see more from you guys in moment to moment gameplay like this where even though I'm travelling, I'm still getting something done. Great change.)
- The idea of Engineers...

Things I'll wait and see on:
- Deterministic special effects or "Favors" system (Thankful they're getting split off finally after all the feedback but I'd have to see just how time consuming the favor generation is) [American alert...add "U" to favor accordingly]
- Engineer rep grind/material grind/crafting in general (Too little time in this beta was spent pre-mayhem to let us accurately gauge the time needed for the Engineer system.)

Things I don't like:
- Engineer RNG (Rolling for increase values isn't really what bothers me, it's just how much is thrown into the same roll. And when it comes to a specific weapon build the problem is exacerbated.)
- Lack of new missions
- Lack of compelling things to do on surfaces (missions, POIs, conflicts, meaningful exploration)
- No exploration love whatsoever (This becomes more and more of a problem with all the additions to the game. Distant Worlds expedition coverage has really highlighted how badly this needs to change. When Ed Lewis did his Distant Worlds stream and mentioned just how many podcasts he had to burn through on his journey to Beagle Point, it tends to highlight how dull the experience is for all of us.)
- No change to gaining military rank (This is a really painful process and by the time you guys figure out how to implement a military career we'll all be done already. Really bums me out to be honest.)
- Looting materials from wrecks, kills etc pulls you out of the game after the first few times. (Ends up being a bit painful and time consuming. Forcing even the smaller ships to sacrifice an internal slot for collectors just to make it bearable seems like a problem)

DrBo42

Gimbalgate is officially over. FD have changed their minds on the CG outcome. They seem to be playing it off that it applied to just Wyrd the entire time but I don't believe a word of it. Doesn't even make sense.

Michael Brookes said:
Just a heads up on the huge weapons - the CG results will apply to Wyrd. The huge weapons will all be available elsewhere upon 2.1's release. Note that the huge burst laser will coming in a post release update.

I saw that. Ha, whatever, I guess. I'm glad they changed their stance but it's funny that they are acting as if it wasn't communicated in no uncertain terms that the goals applied galaxy wide yesterday.

la_briola

How will planetary landing work on the xbox? I play on PC and have ~120fps in space, but once I hit a planet I'm down to like ~45fps.

I've not played the current beta, so any improvements in that regard I missed of course.

If they have not made any changes to the way planets work, this will be slideshow on the xbox, right?
thinking.gif

DrBo42

I saw that. Ha, whatever, I guess. I'm glad they changed their stance but it's funny that they are acting as if it wasn't communicated in no uncertain terms that the goals applied galaxy wide yesterday.

It wouldn't be FD without a few circus acts now and then.

How will planetary landing work on the xbox? I play on PC and have ~120fps in space, but once I hit a planet I'm down to like ~45fps.

I've not played the current beta, so any improvements in that regard I missed of course.

If they have not made any changes to the way planets work, this will be slideshow on the xbox, right?
thinking.gif

Performance improvements in beta on surfaces are pretty substantial. Can't speak for XB1 or how that will perform in Horizons but PC is pretty good in 2.1. Probably why they were waiting for 2.1 to move it to Xbox.

la_briola

It wouldn't be FD without a few circus acts now and then.

Performance improvements in beta on surfaces are pretty substantial. Can't speak for XB1 or how that will perform in Horizons but PC is pretty good in 2.1. Probably why they were waiting for 2.1 to move it to Xbox.

Sounds good, atm I can't play the game in VR, if I want to go to a planet; makes me sick.

zorbsie

$30 on xb1 for horizons seems like a good price. I'm on board at that price.

Questions for wingmen. How do missions work when you are in a wing? Does the leader pick one and everyone gets credit for it? Got 3 buddies into a full wing last night it was cool seeing everyone, but it was a little cumbersome. Is there a way to set a group waypoint? If one of us get interdicted how can the others help? Is there a FAQ or video for this stuff. I'm sure these are simple questions for the bulk of you guys. :)

la_briola

$30 on xb1 for horizons seems like a good price. I'm on board at that price.

Questions for wingmen. How do missions work when you are in a wing? Does the leader pick one and everyone gets credit for it? Got 3 buddies into a full wing last night it was cool seeing everyone, but it was a little cumbersome. Is there a way to set a group waypoint? If one of us get interdicted how can the others help? Is there a FAQ or video for this stuff. I'm sure these are simple questions for the bulk of you guys. :)

This should help: http://elite-dangerous.wikia.com/wiki/Wings

Read Wingman Nav-Lock, also read about Wingman Beacon Signal.

danowat

Banned
I got bored fairly quickly with ED on the xbox one (just under 30hrs), there just wasn't enough variety and it all felt very samey, missions were very uninspired and just ended up shuttling cargo backwards and forwards or just milling around nav beacons etc.

Question, does Horizons add enough to alleviate that boredom?

DrBo42

I got bored fairly quickly with ED on the xbox one (just under 30hrs), there just wasn't enough variety and it all felt very samey, missions were very uninspired and just ended up shuttling cargo backwards and forwards or just milling around nav beacons etc.

Nope!

DrBo42

With Horizons you get planetary landings that have some Points of Interest on it and some bases/installations but none of that gameplay is really that interesting IMO. Other than that you have resource collection on the surface for synthesis and now with 2.1 materials for Engineer upgrades. This doesn't really add to the fun factor but it adds to more time sinks. You'll get more hours out of Horizons, yes but I can't say that you'll get an interesting experience gameplay wise.

We're very much still in the framework phase of Elite. Content will come at some point.

danowat

Banned
With Horizons you get planetary landings that have some Points of Interest on it and some bases/installations but none of that gameplay is really that interesting IMO. Other than that you have resource collection on the surface for synthesis and now with 2.1 materials for Engineer upgrades. This doesn't really add to the fun factor but it adds to more time sinks. You'll get more hours out of Horizons, yes but I can't say that you'll get an interesting experience gameplay wise.

We're very much still in the framework phase of Elite. Content will come at some point.

Thanks for that, appreciate it, probably wait for a sale then, like I did with the base game then.

The core of ED is great, but for me it just doesn't have a satisfying enough gameplay loop.

There is additional variety with planetary landings and things are better with 2.1, more fleshed out interactions with factions and the new engineer NPCs, new resources, aside from credits, to drive you, expanded build variety with mods, however, I believe that you'll eventually run into the same barrier with Horizons. Elite certainly isn't going to grab everyone for hundreds of hours because ultimately, you will find yourself grinding one activity or another if your looking to progress in any efficient way and not everyone can look past that.

Excellent, thanks!

thinking.gif

Many players have noted substantial (15-30) fps gains in beta, particularly on surfaces...which is pretty great, considering the detail they have added.

I am really curious how it plays and looks on X1.

Not much new in the newsletter that hasn't been announced this week. Release info, etc.

However, they did announce some new pricing on PC:

New Elite Dangerous: Horizons Price

You can pick up Elite Dangerous: Horizons now for £19.99, €24.99, $29.99 or RUB 1489.

We’re also introducing the Commander Deluxe Edition for new Commanders for £39.99, $59.99, €49.99 or RUB 2999. The Commander Deluxe Edition includes Elite Dangerous, Elite Dangerous: Horizons and the Commander Pack, which consists of three paint job packs to use on your ships in-game: the Vibrant Sidewinder paint job pack, the Cobra MKIII Military paint job pack and the Viper Impressions paint job pack. This is a total of 18 paint jobs to start blazing your own trail in style.

However, all existing Commanders can pick up the Commander Pack separately on the Frontier store, for £13, $20, €16 or RUB 975.

Elite Dangerous: Horizons gives you access to all of the current expansions in Elite Dangerous: Horizons, as well as all future content for Horizons as it becomes available for download.

SmartBase

Has there been any indication as to how long it's going to take to grind reputation to unlock access to level 5 gear? And I guess that goes for materials to make them as well. Thinking of getting an engineer to work on an exploration Anaconda because I'd only need to upgrade three parts, I think.

This could all change in 2.4 though, since that's still a mystery. Braben said "Winter is coming." recently.

You know what else is coming? Everything on their "list".

Has there been any indication as to how long it's going to take to grind reputation to unlock access to level 5 gear? And I guess that goes for materials to make them as well. Thinking of getting an engineer to work on an exploration Anaconda because I'd only need to upgrade three parts, I think.

With all the adjustments made since Mayhem, not sure. Seems faster than it was prior.

There is a redit post that notes a Sandro post from a few years ago, saying space legs will come after season 2. Could have changed if course since then.

DrBo42

Haha. Well hopefully it's Thargoids or The Missing. Although I still maintain that the storyline of lost expedition ships etc can't be fully realized without the ability to explore derelict ships.

SmartBase

Haha. Well hopefully it's Thargoids or The Missing. Although I still maintain that the storyline of lost expedition ships etc can't be fully realized without the ability to explore derelict ships.

I'm fully expecting the "Galnet articles > CGs > Galnet articles explaining CGs > wait for content update to fill in gaps" loop to introduce us to whatever it is they have planned, it's fairly predictable at this point.

With all the adjustments made since Mayhem, not sure. Seems faster than it was prior.

There is a redit post that notes a Sandro post from a few years ago, saying space legs will come after season 2. Could have changed if course since then.

As long as materials only take up inventory space and not physical cargo space I don't think I'll mind the grind too much, otherwise getting physical materials with a trade or exploration ship is going to be...interesting, to say the least. Now I just have to hope I don't need too many rolls to get the goods, I'm definitely staying away from weapon mods until something more deterministic is implemented for the special effects.

As much as I like being negative the update looks okay so far.

Edit: And my X52 Pro stick's twist/rudder just failed. God fucking damn it. Why is the failure rate in these so damn high? Garbage.
Mine freaked yesterday too. The joystick pitched down all the time all of a sudden. Really bad in FA off lol. Plugged the cable out and in again and it was ok again. I hope this was a one time thing. Had the Fly 9 before. This broke as well.
Go CH. I hear Thrustmasters are fairly reliable too.
CH do not have tilt-turning though :(

that said, @DrBo: are you using joy15 at all (the second "button" when pressing fire fully)?
Yesterday it got me thinking about switching pinky for switching with fire for switching. That way I could use two phases of switching all the buttons with ease. :) need to try this today.

DrBo42

Mine freaked yesterday too. The joystick pitched down all the time all of a sudden. Really bad in FA off lol. Plugged the cable out and in again and it was ok again. I hope this was a one time thing. Had the Fly 9 before. This broke as well.

CH do not have tilt-turning though :(

that said, @DrBo: are you using joy15 at all (the second "button" when pressing fire fully)?
Yesterday it got me thinking about switching pinky for switching with fire for switching. That way I could use two phases of switching all the buttons with ease. :) need to try this today.
I think it just binds all to the same function with both levels of trigger fire. Haven't really looked into it to be honest.

Go CH. I hear Thrustmasters are fairly reliable too.

Yeah, something needs to change. I might see what the reviews are for the X-56 when that comes out but I expect more of the same. Just going with a replacement stick via ebay for the meantime. I'm really just asking to be fucked over at this point.

la_briola

CH products are built like they are for heavy industrial usage, which makes sense since they DO make industrial sticks and shit. Can't recommend enough.

---

Anyways I never really did understand how all this power play stuff works. So I have some questions: I pledged myself to Zachary Hudson as he has some nice bounty turn-in rewards once I'm rank 2 with him.

I'm just not sure how I get there. What I can figure out is that hes very combat orientated, so I thought I just fly into space that he wants/control and shoot down wanted NPCs/CMDRs, but that doesn't seem to change a thing. What am I missing?

frontieruk

CH products are built like they are for heavy industrial usage, which makes sense since they DO make industrial sticks and shit. Can't recommend enough.

---

Anyways I never really did understand how all this power play stuff works. So I have some questions: I pledged myself to Zachary Hudson as he has some nice bounty turn-in rewards once I'm rank 2 with him.

I'm just not sure how I get there. What I can figure out is that hes very combat orientated, so I thought I just fly into space that he wants/control and shoot down wanted NPCs/CMDRs, but that doesn't seem to change a thing. What am I missing?

I thought it was pilots of opposing factions, even if they aren't wanted...

DrBo42

---

I thought it was pilots of opposing factions, even if they aren't wanted...
Yeah I'll have to see what CH offers. I tend to like the Saitek sticks purely aesthetically. Knobs and levers and buttons everywhere.

I can't 100% remember how if works but killing them in their turf I believe makes you wanted in that system (I'm probably wrong on this). As for gaining merits you just need to follow whatever the current objective are. That might be heading to X system and killing Y ships for that power, bringing material to Z system etc. Your targets won't be wanted unless they're a player.

la_briola

Yeah I'll have to see what CH offers. I tend to like the Saitek sticks purely aesthetically. Knobs and levers and buttons everywhere.

I can't 100% remember how if works but killing them in their turf I believe makes you wanted in that system (I'm probably wrong on this). As for gaining merits you just need to follow whatever the current objective are. That might be heading to X system and killing Y ships for that power, bringing material to Z system etc. Your targets won't be wanted unless they're a player.

Alright, will test that, thanks.

If you like the look of Saitek sticks you may be disappointed with the utilitarian look of the CH Products stuff but goddamn you will immediately notice how much more solid they are built. The mechanical parts are much bigger and made of a very tough heavy plastic. If Saitek was able to get a good handle on build quality their sticks would be great. Accurate, lots of inputs comfortable but I couldn't stay with them after the stick died twice in a year. I will say, they were very cooperative with the RMAs though.

Mengy

wishes it were bannable to say mean things about Marvel
If you like the look of Saitek sticks you may be disappointed with the utilitarian look of the CH Products stuff but goddamn you will immediately notice how much more solid they are built. The mechanical parts are much bigger and made of a very tough heavy plastic. If Saitek was able to get a good handle on build quality their sticks would be great. Accurate, lots of inputs comfortable but I couldn't stay with them after the stick died twice in a year. I will say, they were very cooperative with the RMAs though.

Yep, this. I went from a Saitek to a full CH setup with pedals and it completely transformed how I play all of my flight sim games, including Elite. CH is just so much superior, and while it may not look flashy or fancy, Holy God do they just work beautifully. The buttons are all tactile so you can recognize them by touch, the controls are all so positive and accurate so you can make fine flight adjustments with ease, that analog hat stick is so damn handy and useful, I can't rave enough about my CH HOTAS.

I should have bought the damn thing frackin years ago.....

DrBo42

Yep, this. I went from a Saitek to a full CH setup with pedals and it completely transformed how I play all of my flight sim games, including Elite. CH is just so much superior, and while it may not look flashy or fancy, Holy God do they just work beautifully. The buttons are all tactile so you can recognize them by touch, the controls are all so positive and accurate so you can make fine flight adjustments with ease, that analog hat stick is so damn handy and useful, I can't rave enough about my CH HOTAS.

I should have bought the damn thing frackin years ago.....

Sitting here with an exploded saitek stick trying to find a way to repair it makes me regret some brand choices.

Gonna have to also jump in and recommend CH stuff. Yes, they haven't updated the look since the 90s. But, some people are still using their sticks from the 90s.

I'd love for CH to just redesign their sticks for a slightly less utilitarian look, if only so they can get the recognition (and support from developers) they deserve. Like every other sim game has built-in default Thrustmaster and Saitek button map profiles, but they completely ignore CH.

la_briola

Gonna have to also jump in and recommend CH stuff. Yes, they haven't updated the look since the 90s. But, some people are still using their sticks from the 90s.

I'd love for CH to just redesign their sticks for a slightly less utilitarian look, if only so they can get the recognition (and support from developers) they deserve. Like every other sim game has built-in default Thrustmaster and Saitek button map profiles, but they completely ignore CH.

100% agree.

Thank god Dom Davis for CH Products Joystick Map for Elite: Dangerous, I would be lost without it.

29%

Edit: And my X52 Pro stick's twist/rudder just failed. God fucking damn it. Why is the failure rate in these so damn high? Garbage.

Jesus balogna fuck, PRISMATICS FOR ALL.

-----

It's funny; I've had my X-52 for who knows how long, and it was completely fine for years. I considered myself lucky that I wasn't having what issues everyone else did. That Warthog sale comes up, I buy one as an upgrade, and the very next day, the thing decides to start acting up. Now when it rests at neutral, it's generating a slight downward pitch.

Oh well, gonna get that all sorted in a few days, at least.

Top Bottom